Sub 3

Comments

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Was trying to explain the running to effort rather than pace to my better half last night when she asked what pace I would set off at.  Don’t think I got anywhere!! (...but Kipchoge set off at exactly the right pace to break 2 hours!!!!)

I will be mighty nervous watching next weeks rugby.  Will be funny having a few beers instead of doing 20+ miles at 9am in a Saturday!

nice reps in a 10 miler there Jools.

im a bit over carb loaded I think, had stomach pain this morning until a couple of pit stops and have put on 3kg in 2 days.  Will settle back to normal eating now I think.  Hope everyone racing gets some sleep!!
  • I think Dan will be at Abingdon but on his bike. He hasn't run for a while because of his achillies tendinopathy.

Good luck to those running York and I hope to catch up with Abingdon crew before race and in pub after.
  • Blimey selbs - I was surprised to only be 200g up this morning so decided I ought to try to up my game a little.

I shall do my best and try to be happy with whatever that turns out to be. Actually that's not quite true because I'm not intending to try for a PB as I don't think I'm in shape. I think a good day would be a comfortable sub 3 with no GI issues and a better day would be that plus faster than at Yeovil this year.

Will be thinking about the rest of you on my way round.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Selbs - nervous? You'll be able to watch next week with mutiple cigars on the go !
    Ive eaten a fair bit yday and today, spo brought some multiseeded bread in for lunch (i ate it anyway, but slightly risky).

Might see Dan out on the course then.

LMH - finishing any mara is something to be proud of. Esp if you sub 3. You must be in better shape than Yeovil as we'd both been under a lot of stress before then. Who knows what tomorrow morning has in store for any of us.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. FYI Mrs Wardi's usual cheering points are 5m, just before 18m at the out & back turning point, and Murton village just round the corner after 23m.  Quite a few supporters from my club will be at Murton.

Best wishes TR, Tick Tock, Selbs & ES, hope the course and the weather is kind for you.

Nice session Jools.

Amongst numerous nibbles through the day I've made more inroads into the Soreen loaf.  Not too bothered about weight gain as I was a touch underweight TBH.
  • Mark thinks that sounds good Wardi. I'll probably not notice anyone LOL. I miss malt loaf. I've made gf but it's just not the same.

Indeed TR - I always tell people that you never know what you're going to get until the day. I think my confidence was little higher before Yeovil.

Hope to see most of the York contingent at some point and looking forward to reading how the Abo mob have gone.
  • Go well gang - looking forward to stalking you all.

I would be somewhat nervous about next week if I was English. Im nervous about tomorrow as Im welsh.
  • No expo or number collection at Mcr either TR... yet. Although they are aggressively growing the event (from 10 to 20k this year) so who knows for future. 

Selbs - I over did the malt loaf yesterday and felt too full so have eased it back a touch too. Out for an early tea of pizza later, classic carbo loading right there - It has worked previously :)

Jools - very nice reps in that 10 miler. Confidence must be returning nicely now with sessions and recent xc too. Timely advice re running to effort and not pace. I've been procrastinating over paces most of this week.

Best of luck to all running tomorrow. Hopefully bump into those running York. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    LMH - agreed will see what tomorrow throws up, i had a day to forget last yr scraping myself home around various stops for cramp as the sub3 drained away, im hoping to have a much less eventful day.

Cheers Wardi

Menn - wales could make the final.

I make it that Abo is 9am and York 9.30am, so hopefully none of the York lot catch me up, although it might be tight with Al.
  • Being a Welsh means Ive lived my life with Couldve and shouldves. Lets see if they can get it together this time. The French always have a game in them, its just if they can get it out.
  • Good luck everyone in the marathons tomorrow! Really looking forward to seeing the results
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Wardi - 18  & 23M is right where we've decided for the family to watch me go by, sound like good choices!

TR - Challenge accepted  ;)

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, DBS.
  • hope everyone racing is nicely tucked up in bed. Go well tomorrow.
  • DBS all!

York 20th October

LMH - #5053
    Wardi - #3892
    SJ - #859
    Al P - #41
    Njord
    Charlie W

Abingdon  
    Selbs
    TR
    Tick Tock
    ES - #881
    RJR91
    TMAP

Frankfurt  27th Oct 
    JoeB

New York 3rd Nov
    CD
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Struggled early on was barely at sub3 pace, got it together but legs werent happy. Was nursing my hammys alonh until wool came alongside at 19, at that point i gave myself a caution to the wund talk and pushed on. So pretty even paced 2.55.12, cramp in last mile prevented a 2.54. But im nearly back to where i was. Another lesdon today in tha art of keep calm and carry on.
  • Bloody hell ES back of the net. Fantastic. 
    Congratulations TR, a solid 2.55 and a decent second half by the sound of things. 
    Exciting morning, watching Wales and following the forum in York. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fantastic, ES!  You've had a brilliant few years to earn that Champs qualifier.

And TR, I'm really pleased for you, too.  That's a hard earned and richly deserved 2.55
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    ES - Its the shoes!!! 😃 Awesome result mate. Get in indeed. 

TR - back where you belong. Great stuff. Sounds like you managed it well. Beers!

Not my day today but a slim PB so sort of happy. Odd feeling. Cruisy through 30k then it all got ridiculously hard. 85:14/89:31 for a 2:54:45. Sub 2:55 but should have been more really. The marathon whooped my ass today. Onwards and upwards. 
  • Very nice ES, congratulations.

Well done TR, others would have despaired at being behind where they thought they should be early on, classic one foot in front of the other stuff.

A PB is a PB SJ, there'll be a lot with worse than that.  Still a decent day at the office I'd say.
  • Great work ES and TR. Must be great to get that payoff today even if you think there's more to come.

Nothing exciting to report from Abo. Got round in around 3:35. There were definitely some nice things about not caring too much about time. More jelly babies than I'm used to and being able to walk and drink my water so half of it isn't down my front. and an actual stop at a toilet!

I didn't do much walking at any one time but generally ran between water stations and walked with water or gels which broke things up. The support and marshalling was fantastic but if you're not going for a fast time it's not an exciting course to run. but hey, today wasn't about today! it's about tomorrow, this week and the weeks beyond before Nottingham. onwards and upwards.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    As CD says, SJ, it is still a PB.  There's many a day when that's the best any of us can hope for!
  • Yeah I know. I was editing my original post trying to sound less whiny. I'm happy with the improvement of course. I guess I'm just disappointed with the execution. It feels like a backward step as I had nailed the last couple of races in terms of pacing. In hindsight I was struggling with my right quad from around 32k so maybe that contributed. It became a bit of a death march which always leaves a bad taste 😃
  • Electric SheepElectric Sheep ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'm still pinching myself here - that's a 7 minute PB! Just discovered that I was 1st V40 based on chip time as well, although I think they award prizes based on gun time, which means I was 2nd V40 in the official results. Should have pushed in further forward at the start!

Jools - thank you - I'm looking forward to upgrading my VLM entry to Champs!

CD, OO, RJR - thank you!

SJ - The marathon can be cruel and you don't always get what you deserve. Take the PB and build on the fitness you've gained for your next target.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    you gave me a bit of a lesson of how to run the last few miles there TR. Pleased you got going - you looked a bit head down when I caught you and I told you to pick your chin up. You rewarded me with taking a minute out of me in the last 3 miles, I suppose I got what I deserved for my cheek!
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Nice day in Abingdon and great to catch up before and after. Performance of the day goes to ES ( and his magic shoes). 
    I managed 2:57:54 , so 5 seconds faster than last year and actually my second fastest marathon. Time for beer.
  • Well done on the PB SJ especially given the tough run in, I am sure you reflect  more positively  on it later.
  • Well done sj and ES.

Glad you saved the day TR.

I was sh!t. No excuses. I really don't know what's going on. Left piriformis/hamstring isn't happy but whilst i could feel it isn't wasn't that bad. I found it really tough running in to the wind and had no power on the uphills. I even managed to get cold on the way round - how does that happen when you're working hard?  Had to start too far back (way behind the 3.30 pacers) fought my way through in the first few hundred metres then someone stood on the back of my shoe and took it off so I had to stop and work my way back through hundreds of just started runners to retrieve it. Managed to pick up the pace for the first few miles but it was obvious I was working too hard and I couldn’t even hold sub 3 pace. I just had nothing in my legs. Seriously thought about quitting lots and of just jogging it in but (despite what the splits look like) couldn’t bring myself to do anything other than my best though that turned out to be pretty rubbish. How do you lose ten minutes in four months when you’ve been training? Only positive was that my stomach behaved so now I have to repeat the protocol next time and hope it works again.............

That's me done for the year and I have retired from marathons until April. Need to try to work out what's gone wrong this year and what I can do about it but in the meantime I have banned myself from running for a week - we'll see how that goes:-)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    LMH: it was always hard to predict how all of the life stressors were going to play out today.  There was a chance things would come good, but also a chance that your body was a bit wiped out before you made the start line. Don't beat yourself up for giving it a go.  Enjoy you Week Of Sloth.