Comrades 2020

Comments

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    What a great gesture Max.  But you know you'll have to go back to get a picture of you beside it!
  • Lovely in just so many ways Max. It means even more to have it "presented" by a Comrade with that sort of palmares.
    Mac the Englisher Garden was indeed green and shady but I got a bit fed up of it after a while, there's a lot of it and we had a red cross ambulance leapfrogging us all the time. Of course we weren't long out of it before the warmth made my poor OH tank; then there was a walk break to recalibrate the watch alerts to one min on, one off and to his credit, apart from a barf break (and he did manage to do some of that on the run!) he kept to that to the end though it did take a bit of encouragement sometimes (aka "yes you can, it's only a ______ minute!" . Ahem) and we ran the last km or so.
    He then adopted the recovery position on the grass and later experimentally took on a big cup of water. It came straight.back.up. with some vigour... so really he's almost had a mini Comrades experience :D (the original Gauteng is just a few miles south of Munich too!).
    Luckily we were 61 (!) minutes shy of a qualifier. He says he's pleased he finished and it was nice to demonstrate he has a bit of willpower ;)

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Max - what a great gesture. You are now on the Comrades course forever :)
  • Glad people enjoyed seeing the picture, and Douglas. He reminded us all (2 of his sons ran this year) before the race that he did his 7 hrs in gym pumps and with none of these feed stations or fancy watches :)! Mac3 I have a cunning plan to return for the 100th race to run with my son, so all being well I can get a picture then
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Amazing stuff Max, so much more to this event than just running it.
  • Good luck tomorrow in Poznan, Becca7, and Yorkshire, johnny1984. Hope to catch up with you in Abingdon, Millsy. I'll be wearing a plain black top and my number is 665. Let's hope it's not as wet as McHilly's Eden Marathon. 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck people with qualifying tomorrow :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Marty. Thanks Stan and good luck to you and Millsy and to Johnny in York, plus anyone else going for a qualifier. 
  • Thanks Stan, Marty & Becca. My training has been poor and not managed a run longer than 9 miles for quite a few weeks, so qualifier is my only goal for tomorrow. It's definitely going to be character building.... Will be my first time deliberately run-walking a marathon (I have done many an unplanned walk in marathons before!) so hope to learn some stuff from that which I can carry into Comrades

Good luck to everyone else running tomorrow B)
  • Good luck everyone in your various qualifiers!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck Comrades :)
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    And from me, good luck today everyone. 
  • Good luck to everyone this weekend. Weather looking good for it.
  • Walked the dog up to the Abo finish and saw Millsy charging in in fine form - no qualifier issues there!
  • 4hr 6mins at Yorkshire for me (officially 4.05 but my watch came up a tiny bit short so adding on 0.08 miles makes it 4.06....). Not sure what it is about that time, I've run it thrice now. Run/walk a bit of a revelation- I'm sure I would have been much slower if I'd just tried to run as far as I could

Qualifier sorted- that's the main thing

Hope everyone else's running went well this weekend

im gonna need a few days off now but then I will try to latch on to the official bronze training plan for November from the comrades website- I guess that's as good a place to start as any for a novice? 
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Fido, I wondered who that was mentioning the Comrades qualifier as I went round the track. I was more interested in the Greyhound / Lurcher you had as it looked like a larger version of our Whippet. (Our last one is in my profile picture)
    yes, all went well at Abingdon, wasn’t in PB shape but felt good from the gun and did a well paced 2:55 which I’m delighted with.
    Bumped into Baldstan on the way to the pub after the race which was a nice touch.
    need to book my Hotel tomorrow. And have an easy week before looking at training plans.

well done Jonny on the qualifier.
  • Weather was perfect for it in Abingdon today, and pleased to bump into Millsy on the way to the pub afterwards. He certainly smashed it. I got to 23 miles fairly ok, but then a bit of a lack of training and a cold which came on this week, caught up with me, my legs just started to slow and the group I'd been running with disappeared off ahead. Funny that. At least I didn't need the toilets (or the bushes) and managed to keep running through the underpass in town and over the hump onto the track for 3:28:43, so pleased to have my qualifier now.
    Hope things went well in Poznan Becca7 and your run-walk got you a qualifier johnny1984.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Top runs everyone and qualifiers nicely bagged. The only stressful situation now is in a weeks time when we all crash the Comrades website getting an entry :)
  • Well done everyone - yes it's a greyhound Millsy, who was sulking a little as he wasn't keen on TP (too noisy). Doing that thing where I would proffer a treat and he would turn his nose up at it in a 'how DARE you do this to me!' way :D which was why I went home after the 3h gang came in (also it turned out that my OH (with the boombox at mile 23) needed a bicycle pump to get back home).
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Top running everyone, some sparkling times being run, hope Becca has landed it too. I will update the table soonish. Great support F2D!
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Well done to Johnny, Millsy and baldstan on your qualifiers.
    I ran the Ranscombe 8-hour Challenge, Autumn edition. Beautiful conditions - slightly cool when we started at 8am, but it warmed up to a nice temperature for running, with mostly hazy sunshine and the ground just slightly soft. I completed 11 laps, 40.48 miles on my Garmin, in 7:30:28. Managed to really speed up on the lovely woodland downhill section in the last third of each lap. Very pleasing after my poor run in windy conditions at Samphire Hoe a few weeks ago. As a bonus, I ended up with the 'Winner' badge for distance - nobody else did 11 laps. However, I'm going to need to get quite a bit faster if I'm to go sub-10 at Comrades.

• Well done Debra, overall winner is a pretty good title to have. Fido2Dogs, hope I thanked your OH when I came round on the second lap, the music gave me a lift, and when I came through I saw he was having problems with a guy without a helmet who was insisting on riding a motorbike down the path (which was a bit narrow there) in the opposite direction to the runners. Hope he rode off and didn't make any more trouble. 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Well done Johnny, millsy and Stan. A qualifier for me too. I was gunning for Pen D and bagged a 3:52, so I’m happy. 

I’ve done that Ranscombe 8 hour Debra and it’s a tough lap, so 11 is astonishing and it’s no wonder you were the winner. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow, good going Becca, great qualifier :)

Well done Debra, cleaning up on the awards every event :)
  • Wow some amazing running and qualifications there. Well done to all of you
  • baldstan, Becca, lowrex: thanks.
    Becca, I've just looked back at my previous Ranscombe results and realised that it's the first time I've gone over 40 miles there, the first time I've gone out on an 11th lap and my best overall speed, so yes, rather pleased. I do love running the Ranscombe trails. Next weekend is Beach Head (while I also love) followed by Ghost of Cyclopark marathon. I've already decided I'm going to jog Cyclopark, maybe practice a run/walk schedule from the start - something I've thought of doing for a marathon and never done - since it's reasonably flat.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, Millsy/Johnny/Baldstan/Becca/Debra.   A bit late in saying that I was sorry to hear that McH is not joining next year.  Roll of drums for Marty then this coming weekend at Beachy Head for his 100th.
  • Congrats everyone on qualifiers and Debra for the win.

I'm very jealous, just home from work and it's 37 degrees, looking forward to getting longer runs in but for now a swim in the pool.
  • Well baldstan I wasn't there but heard about it - I don't know what became of motorbike boy in the end but the helpful PCSO was alerted. 
    Also, Abingdon is the annual marathon champs for the ...Army... I expect their runners can be assertive.
  • So... Entries open on Monday. And 27500 entrants. Surely that amount will cause a bottleneck near the start. I remember last year. It was pitch black and we were at a standstill :(