Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just had a quick look at Yorkshire tracking and Cal is going well at halfway,hopefully keep it going.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I could only find a tracker for iPhone not android so I'll have to rely on your updates Ian  :)

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I downloaded the yorkshire marathon app on android and it was there,through 30k,40k due in about 15,dont want to spoil Cal's report but going ok still.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've finally found the app! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Haha,just in time for the last mile.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It was worth it, great running.   

I can delete the app now, it's horrifically pink !
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal and Big G both finished,cant see anything to track Louey so hopefully she's gone ok also.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think they have tracking at Abingdon.

I won't be able to track you next week at Frankfurt as I'm manning the drink station at Plym Trail.  Last time I did that I had no mobile signal at all, so I won't be watching you.  😉

• LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Quick post - finished in 3:56:52. Very very happy with the time. Will do a proper post later. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - brilliant time, well done.  Looking forward to the race report.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Louey!

Chelmsford Marathon for me today. Just on way back home, as stopped at services.

My hotel was 5mins from the start so I didn’t bother dropping a bag off, and left my stuff in the car. It was chilly (6deg at the 9:30 start) but that suits me just fine. I wore a vest but had gloves on and was fine all race (gloves came off around 15 miles). 

Yesterday and this morning I’d been ‘testing’ the hip and it felt fine, so as conditions were perfect I decided to give it a bit of a crack and was hopeful for a reasonable time.

The first bit is a bit twisty with some narrow sections on cycle paths and through the park but I got into my stride really quickly as people had lined up in the correct area for them.

I was still a bit apprehensive about what may happen with the hip and indeed at around 8 miles it was quite painful for quite a few miles, but not as bad as last week. Because it wasn’t as bad as last week I promised myself to really try to run to the next aid station (there were plenty) and then walk through them, as walking did help it last week. Also I did have some pain relief before and during the race which I didn’t last week. This seemed to keep it manageable, but by no means perfect. 

I think at around the 8-mile mark the 3:30 pace group went past me, but they were doing under 7:45s (8s gets you in just under 3:30) so at the next aid station, which I walked through, I let them go. I have to say I was fairly sure I’d be seeing a few of them again if I could hold my pace.

It’s a really lovely course - Shades I think you’d love it. After the first 3 or 4 miles it’s out into quiet country lanes with farm land, nice houses, inquisitive horses and a smattering of ‘Ducks crossing’ signs. It’s basically a single lapper, although part of it we do in both directions. As I say, today was perfect conditions - I think the only thing I’d be wary of of is if it’s bad weather it’s very open in places. But it’s a great course and gently undulating.

On the later stages, I was really hoping for a sub-3:30 and felt on for it, but knew it was close. However, at 24/25-miles I had ‘a moment’. The course took a fairly sharp left up a slope and the hip was suddenly the sorest it had been, which caused me to stop and walk for the first time (not including water stations). At this point I thought I had no chance of getting my time....but unbelievably after 30-secs I was able to run properly again. I knew I needed to get a move on and in fact my final mile was the quickest of the race and I finished in 3:29:23!  Absolutely delighted with that! Honestly, all things considered with the hip etc, I feel that’s one of my best performances, particularly as at 24/25 miles I thought it wasn’t going to happen.

I’ll have to check but I think I was the last one under 3:30, and loads fell off the pace bus.  That helped me because I knew people were coming back to me which gave me something to focus on.

At the end, someone called out ‘Trotters!!’.  It turned out to be a DD legend who has finished all 21 editions of the DD. He was spectating today but he’s hoping to back at DD next year.

Better splits this week too, compared to last week, although you can see I did slow.  Not trying to make excuses but I feel that’s at least partly because of the hip  Really, very pleased with that today and the KFC feels deserved (for once!). 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-Great running,very well done.
    Big G-That's a really strong performance all things considered.
    9 miles today,purposely didn't look at my watch to see how it came out and came out at a good speed despite being an easy effort.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great run from you today, you're right to be pleased with that result.

I've been waiting for you to report back, wasn't sure how far you'd have to drive before you found a KFC  ;)

So great improvement with the hip flexors, keep up with the stretches and it should finally go soon.

I've heard that Chelmsford was a lovely course and it's already on my 'to do' list.

That must have been Graeme you saw today.

Let me know if you're going ahead with Davey's double at the weekend and I'll put them on the list.

Great running from all our racers today.  :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Ian, thanks. Really pleased. 

Shades, yes, I’ll keep up with those stretches. Haven’t got a physio appointment yet either but will try again tomorrow. I’ll let you know about the weekend. 

Forgot to say there was a goodie bag containing a decent medal, tech shirt and a nice water bottle amongst other things. I think they’d written inspirational quotes on all the bananas they were handing out at the finish too!

I reckon I’ll do it again at some point. Drive home wasn’t too bad (stopped twice) but it’s a long way and the drive doesn’t help any aches and pains!
  • Get in Big G! Hell yeah!

Just a quick post as I'm on Colin's Mac (we're back in Manchester now) - I still can't quite believe what I did. 3:57:08! I really thought I would slow down a lot, but I think I only slowed a little during the last two miles and by that point, it was in the bag. So, so happy.
    I'll post a more detailed report when I'm back home, but...wow. I think I was as happy as Kipchoge (although I certainly wasn't leaping around. My legs were destroyed).
    Right, I best go. Thanks for following me.
  • That's great running, Cal! GFA I believe! That's a major revision of your PB, and deservedly so: a great block of training. And don't forget to post on the daily thread!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Been waiting for you to post your time.That is a brilliant run and a great reward for all your efforts the last few months.At 13.1 I think you were 1:58ish so under 2 for the 2nd half means you barely slowed at all.
    You're in the same position as me,its a london gfa application but wouldnt have gotten in this year,we need terrible weather for all the big races so people get worse times,only 4 mins from a BQ this year.
  • Just a quick visit, fantastic results today!!!! Big G well done for holding on, Chelmsford is quite local for me and hear good things so defo one on my list.

Well done Lou, nice to dip under 4 hours.

Cal great work and congratulations, very well deserved with the hard work you put on over the last year.  Must have been those Westmill hills that helped
  • Louey, awesome result for you too! 
    Ian, I hope so - I guess it depends if they decide to lower it to 3:55 like Boston. Guess we'll see. I've a chance to chip away a bit more at the spring races but I think training over summer and running in cooler conditions suits me a lot more.
  • Oh Big G, I went past a Trotter in the a later stages - older guy (balding I think, with glasses) - gave him some encouragement and asked it he knew you - he did.
    (If you're wondering why I'm posting at silly o'clock, I have my traditional post-mara insomnia).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that was a stonking PB, you truly nailed that sub 4.   I knew you could do it, when the right day came along it was yours for the taking.  Those race predictors are not wrong.

Just a quick post in case you're still not sleeping, I expect you're still on a high from yesterday.

Right off for my run now....
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Just a quick post from me to congratulate all Shadies for some amazing running this weekend. Big G that was a great run, loved you pulling all the stops out and getting under 3:30 again! Fab running from you too Louey to get another sub 4 too. A special well done to Cal for achieving your sub 4 goal.. you’ve been training so well I was convinced you could do it but a marathon can be so unpredictable you just never know until the day. You deserve it and I’m made up for you! 
    Have been in Paris this weekend visiting my daughter, will post properly later when home.. school holidays now thank God so will have more time (for running and keeping up with the thread!)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - hope you had a lovely time in Paris.

Are you still doing the cooking?

Big G - do you still need a physio appointment as it seems you're recovering? 

8 miles for me today, bit breezy but not bad weather for running.  Had a good run, legs felt strong, doubt that will be the same tomorrow as leg session in gym later today.
  • Thanks folks - did go back to bed. Colin just woke me up with a coffee. He's a good friend. (Especially as yesterday was his birthday and he spent it more or less at my beck and call. I treated him to tea and cakes at Betty's Tea Rooms afterwards, which we both deserved).
    Will probably take it easier for a while but now I have my track and gym membership, I can work on making myself strong again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, that sounds like it may have been Peter K - I think he's in his late 60s.  He's a very good runner, and ran for England last year.  He ran for them at Chester and then the week after he ran at York, so it sounds like it may have been him.

Very well done on your massive PB!  It's really great to read that you got it after all that training etc.  Brilliant stuff!  Anything can happen in a marathon but it all came together, and you did it.  Did you feel confident all the way around?

Robert, I'd definitely recommend Chelmsford.  If you do decide to to it, I saw on their Facebook group that there is some talk of it being quite hilly.  I'm not especially good on hills, but I ran them all easily.  I know Strava can't be trusted really but it only came out around 800ft elevation.

Shades, I'm not sure about the weekend yet as hip is sore this morning not helped by the drive no doubt   I keep on questioning if I'm doing the right thing turning up at these races with a background injury but in my defence, when I've toed the start line at Loch Ness, Sofia and Chelmsford it's been okay - at Loch Ness, it took me by surprise at 6 miles at I thought it had gone.  I can't do a recovery run today, but will do a walk instead.  Current thought is just to try and play each one by ear; if I feel I can, I'll turn up on Saturday and get around it, probably run/walking it (the course lends itself to that anyway!!!), and then see how I feel on Sunday.  Looking ahead to Cornish though, I'm slightly concerned about the hills on that one, but it's two weeks away so it can still improve by then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm sure Colin enjoyed his birthday and the tea and cakes at Betty's. :D

Big G - I think York was the vet's championships this year, maybe your Trotter was again running in that competition?

Have heard lots of good stuff about Chelmsford so firmly on my list now.   You might also like Halstead, lovely marathon, usually 2nd weekend in May, well organised.   It too has quite a bit of open countryside, well fields with no hedges.   Always looks unusual to me as so used to Devon and the high hedges everywhere. 

I'm going to add Davey's races to the list for you, they can be removed without anyone noticing, honest. ;)   Re the Cornish I guess it's the uphill that's more uncomfortable than the downhills.

I did all my PB's in 2010 carrying an injury, if I hadn't I would never have got those PB's as never achieved that level of fitness again.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-They could well change the time down to 3:55 as the cut off was very close this year,but your not too far off that now either.
    Easy 6 miles before work today,not too much running this week,probably only get a short run on Thursday.
  • Big G - Top marathons in Sofia/Chelmsford.
    Louey - Great running!
    Cal - Big PB for you, that's a great reward for all your training this year!

As for me, had a bit of an easy week down in Dorset. Missed the local parkrun as watched Kipchoge, which was incredible! But did 6 miles on Saturday then 5 I think on Sunday. Then in the week did some hills on Tuesday, about 5 miles in total but around 900 feet, 4 miles Wednesday and 6 on Thursday including some of the coastal path (another 600 feet elevation). 11 miles on Saturday and 4 miles on Sunday.
    Also got a surprise cheque in the post from my 3rd place at the 10k!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Shades, I suppose there’s always that doubt I have that if in 2 months it’s even worse, I may then regret running. But each time I’ve ran I’ve managed it as well as I could, and as it stands I still don’t feel it’s a serious injury so I’ve just got to take each event as it comes.  Although I of course have an eye on the numbers, it’s not really that I’m averse to DNSing events as I’ve done that a lot, especially this year, so I’ve just got to do what I feel is best :) Yeah, still my name down for both of Davey’s and I’ll just decide on the days.

I think my general fitness is pretty much there really. Berlin I cruised in for the last couple of miles enjoying the atmosphere, for a decent time, and although yesterday was fairly tight, I was delighted with it overall. I just need to keep up the stretches and hopefully it’ll keep improving.

It’s funny though as yesterday on the way home (on a bit of a high) I was thinking of a short leg loosener this morning and then maybe even go to club tonight for a short run. But when I woke up I just knew I shouldn’t run. I’ve been for a nice walk though and hip is better than what it was first thing.

Regarding the landscape, yes it’s very different to Devon. I mentioned I lived in Ipswich, and Chelmsford isn’t far away from there. Very similar - quite flat farmland, with lots of cabbages and cauliflowers (I think)! Very different to Devon, but very nice. Yes, at times, due to hardly any hedges it felt I could see for a few miles, even though it’s pretty flat. If it was bad wind/rain, I’d imagine runners would have to really dig in around some of those parts.