Tuesday 22nd October 2019 - A winter's day

Morning.

Lyrics - A winter's day

That does sound like a handful chamolk - and you were thinking of a fourth? 
:)  Yes, lots of family stuff going on this year, none of it good unfortunately but hopefully settled for now at least. Nothing you can do but keep going as Winston Churchill said. My first marathon was 4.28 something so don't rule out getting down to the low threes or below yourself - you have a few years on me I think!

Hope you had a better night emzap. I don't know why I wake up so early when I feel so tired - frustrating.

Tell me about the post holiday catch up Hazel - I always think you need a week off afterwards to sort yourself out. Have you decided about your half?

It's chilly here this morning! I have been brave and booked in to a Pilates Stretch class - should provide some light entertainment for the regulars if nothing else and at least it's in a nice warm studio. All I have to do now is be brave enough to actually go. LOL.

What:           trying something new/making a fool of myself
Why:            why not?
Last hard:    working out what to change to get back to where I was
Last rest:     21/10
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

Lyrics: yes

Forecast is not good here: heavy rain predicted all day with a severe weather warning. Not holiday weather!

What: short run plus gym

Why: trying to get back to running/building strength to do so

I think a Pilates class is an excellent idea LMH. And you will be fine.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    chamolk - good luck with the kids. Could be worse, you could have girls...
    Ale - Enjoy the break, but rain? Are you sure?
    LMH - good luck - Don't tear anything!
    Thanks for those  that asked about #2s plans. She wants to do Psychology or similar. She did A levels this year so knows her grades. Birmingham was a possibility but she hasn't got the 3 x a's they ask for. Cardiff have given her an offer already, but I still think she'll end up at Manchester: last year they offered her a place with the grades she has, so hopefully we'll get the same offer this year. 

What - club night, a weigh up between hill repeats or some track. Ahead of XC on Sunday, it may be the former.
    Why - training
    last rest - Saturday
    last hard - I saw the QoP last night....

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    We slept through the night!!! 11-6 (though I did get up at 3.30, 4 and 5 to check he was still breathing!!).  Meant I couldn't start the thread though :lol:

Lmh Pilates sounds like a great idea. Hope you enjoy it.

Ale weather warning?! That doesn't sound good.

Chamolk that does sound like a handful!

Dustin Ouch to the qop...

Yesterday's lyrics were Halo by Beyoncé

What: walking somewhere
    Why: we have nothing planned for the whole day
    Last hard: having nothing planned
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely day all
  • I'm sure you'll find something to fill your day emzap - it was cold out for my walk this morning but beautiful. Great news that Lucas slept so well, hopefully he'll continue to do so.

Dustin - is she looking for a course with GBR? Hope the QoP isn't too bad. I shall only be bending as far as everything is comfortable trust me.

There is a lovely atmosphere at my gym Alehouse so I'm not really worried about providing the entertainment for the rest of the class - just hope I don't put them off too much! Sorry to hear that you've taken the weather with you.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    'Get your son and his new shoes in some muddy puddles Wabo' Hazel lol that wasn't going to happen!
    LMH enjoy the pilates
    chamolk, oh my 3 boys!! 
    Dustin enjoy the club night
    emzap wow, great stuff - waking to check breathing oh yes, I can relate!

My son did a teeny bit of running - loved the shoes, then we walked just under 3 miles as his chest wasn't good. Spotted a white heron and two rats on the walk ha ha
    What: 4 miles later, maybe with some bursts
    why: why not, oh might join me
    last hard: yesterday am
    last rest: 31/12/16
    Have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning again!

What: 2k + short gym

Why: caution. And somewhat blustery along the sea front. Managed to run between downpours. Extremely dark over Bill's mother's. Or should that be Juan's?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hi

Travel well WP and enjoy the peace of your own bed when you get to it.

Don't worry about the others in the course LMH - they all would have been newbies at some point too.  Need to make a decision about the HM in the next couple of days - will do a "dress rehearsal" on Wednesday (i.e. a couple of miles @HMP) and decide then. 

You aren't lucky with the weather Ale.  Bill's / Juan's mother?

Good luck to your daughter with her uni plans Dustin.  Enjoy club night.

Great regarding the sleep emzap - not having anything planned could be good - you can decide on the spur of the moment.

Nice nature spotting Wabo.  Not even a splatter of mud on the shoes?

What: group run this evening
    Why: Tuesday
    Last hard: being able to work this morning - nearly took a hammer to the various bits of gadgery providing a window to the outside world - pulling and replacing the plug finally helped.
    Last rest: Yesterday

Lyrics: no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hazel not so much as a splatter
    I can confirm it was a Little White Egret
    Enjoy the group run later
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    No plans for a 4th currently.

Dustin - it seems to be 50:50 whether people say boys or girls are harder work 😂

Hi Hazelnut

What - rest
    Why - taper
    Last hard - not letting myself run today

Lyrics - I think so
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    chamolk, I have one of each grown up now.  Both the same I reckon, in different ways though.
  • chamolk - no harm in running if you would usually as long as you keep the miles and effort down.

Hazel - switching it on and off again is my usual recourse with IT. It's not a course, just a class at the gym, which turned out not to be Pilates but yoga as the Pilates teacher has left. My hips and back definitely benefited from the stretching but I won't be taking time out from my running to go back again. Enjoy the group run.

Sorry to hear that your son's breathing is bad Wabo - is he another asthmatic?

Hope you have a good journey home Poppy. Hotel sounds a bit of a nightmare - wouldn't they move you to a quieter room?

Glad you managed to dodge the rain Alehouse.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lmh, no he has had a bit of a cold and has recently stopped vaping. So he had started to get stronger with breathing but I think the cold has just set him back.  The walk did him good still.
  • LMH: yoga is hugely beneficial for us runners. Not sure about your body of course but I'm stiff as two planks and yoga really helps to lengthen and strengthen ultimately leading to a more open stride pattern and less injuries/ niggles. I do prefer short YouTube videos over a class though.

Hope you got home safely,  poppy. Entertainment in room?

Ale: like Hazel I have no idea what you're talking about either (Bill/Juan) ;)

Hazel: not looking forward to my return to work. Luckily I have a few more days here.

Chamolk: blimey,  that's quite a full house in my book ;) and what LMH said: don't rule out a 3ish marathon time. You're probably stronger than you think you are.

Em: envious of your sleep. Well,  just a little ;)

What: bit of MTBing, bit of walking
    Why: hubby's birthday and that's what he wanted to do
    Last hard: that hike/climb on Sunday
    Last rest: today
    Lyrics: think so
  • Afternoon!

Chick/Hazel, there is a saying "it looks dark/black over Bill's mother's" when rain is nearby.

Has been dry for a couple of hours; brief sunshine but still weather warning and due to rain in an hour. Saw people paddling across a street earlier! 

LMH: what chick says re non-running exercise. Increasingly important as we get older! 
  • chicksta - I would never do yoga from a video and my friend's yoga teacher wife reinforced that. If, like me, you know what you are doing it's more likely to  do harm than good hence trying a class. Happy Birthday to Mr chicksta.

Alehouse - yes some of it was no doubt beneficial (as I said my hips and back appreciated it) but that class is not going to benefit my running as much as running. Unfortunately it also seems to have upset my left knee which has been fine since the race but was very niggly on my afternoon walk.

Ah - walking definitely beneficial Wabo - I 'm just back from my afternoon one.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think I could manage sub 3 one day, but it won't be for a while. I'm at the stage in running where things are improving simply by running consistently, so I'm keen to see how much I can improve. I started running around 20, but it's been very hit and miss most of that time. This has been my first real decent, consistent period of training (coming up to a year shortly), and things are progressing reasonably, so it's exciting to see where it'll go. I'm currently 38 (I know better than to ask a lady's age LMH, but I got an idea from a different thread).

I've recently started some yoga, but I'm too self conscious to go to a class yet, mine has been from photos on a website, I might check out some of these videos instead chicksta, then consider a class eventually
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Chamolk both chick and I love yoga by Adrienne. She has a great you tube channel. But as lmh says be careful as within a class a teacher can correct posture etc