Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi Kenno. I'm still waiting for my annual rejection email.
    Are you joining us in Paris again?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Hi orbutt. Yes I’m coming to Paris next year. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kenno. Superb!
    Are you running? If so, which pen?
    What's the other event you're doing? Something mental?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Not running. My marathon days are behind me.

Taxi driver and supporter this year with the small people. 

Other event is a wee jaunt up some hills in the summer!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Supporters are  the most important bit of kit that a runner can take with them.
    A wee jaunt up some hills'.
    Oh yes, sounds mental to me.

• Those of you lucky enough to live within reasonable distance of St Pancras should get your Eurostar tickets before the prices go up/ the popular travel times sell out. You've been able to book the out leg for few days, but returns on the Monday after just became available today.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Has anyone uploaded their medical certificate yet?
    I uploaded mine in July and it's still showing as 'pending'.
    6 months out and I'm already getting twitchy 😁
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Orbutt said:
    Has anyone uploaded their medical certificate yet?
    I uploaded mine in July and it's still showing as 'pending'.
    6 months out and I'm already getting twitchy 😁
    I haven't been to get mine done yet. I once left it so late, I managed to get one that covered me for two Paris marathons! (I think one year was 51 weeks after the previous one, so I just managed to scrape in with a Two for One!)
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I've not sorted mine out yet, but I seem to recall last year people saying they were slow to process the medical forms submitted online.
    I imagine they're in someone's to do pile for the end of March!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    That wouldn't surprise me 🤣
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. 

I've got my spot booked for Paris 2020. In the yellow pen.

Found out last week that I got in to the London marathon too (first time via the ballot in 10+ attempts), but I think I'll defer that to the following year
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hello chamolk and welcome to the growing throng.
    Congratulations on getting a place in the London ballot, 9 failures for me so far.
    Pull up a chair, tell us about yourself. Have you done Paris before?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread Chamolk!
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi folks

Just recently joining the forum, though I apparently originally joined in 2003. My running had been on /off for years, did the Belfast marathon 2007 and 2009. Weight was increasing, early moobs were starting to jiggle when running and I was starting to feel sluggish, so I wanted to run more regularly. Got a charity spot for London this year, ran 3:55 which was my first under 4 hours and lost about 2 stone.

Since then I've upped my miles to about 40 per week and I'm hoping to get a pb in Dublin at the end of the month.

Never run paris before, looking forward to it
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Paris is a great event. You'll love it.

Good luck at Dublin. I've heard good things about that event. I'll need to get around to ticking that one off myself.
  • Hello everyone. I’m still thinking if I can go because I might have a schedule that I shouldn’t miss. But I’m still wishing that I can join Paris 2020.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    chamolk. I was a bit too late to avoid the moobs, I think I've had them since I was about 12  :D
    3:55 is a tremendous time and well done on losing 2 stone that shows proper mental strength too.
    I've put a bit of weight on due to a bit of a lay off due to injury but I'm hoping to shift this now I've started running again, although I'm only up to 6k so far so it's not going to fly off.

marlonthon. Paris is a fantastic event. I hope your schedule allows you to go.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    marlonthon - Hope you can make it over for Paris.
    Orbutt - Glad to hear you're easing back into things. I hope that's you clear of the injury issues you've had this year.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Eggy fingers crossed. Taking it really slowly and not building up the mileage too quickly.
    All good so far 😊

• Goodness me !

this room takes me back, I was younger then , full of life and hope ,, and cake

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ohahlovecake. Love the moniker.
    Are you joining us?
    There will be cake!

• yes orbutt already signed up  , I just need to book accomadation , acomadation , I just need to book a hotel and flights
  • My name is Paul and its been 53 days since my last run

• by choice Paul or was there a concerned friend's and family intervention in late August ?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Ohahlovecake - I've got my hotel booked now I'm waiting for  EasyJet to blink with the prices 😳
    If you've been to Paris before then you'll know that rooms are small or expensive and sometimes both. If you haven't then rooms are either......
    PT_71 plenty of time yet. I'm only just back running and I feel like a newbie.
    Have you been injured? Is a return to running on the cards?

Top tip, given to me by a very experienced ultra runner. When things are really tough and you really want to give up, then start singing to yourself the following lines. The tune to When the Saints go marching in, works well.
    "Oh yes this shit. Is way too hard"
    And
    "Please shoot me now. I want to die"
    Mix the lines up, try them to different tunes (I have a great many) but give them a go.
    They really do distract from ongoing pain and suffering. 
    I have been known to share my vocal styling, via Facebook live, with my run buddies.

Any other top tips I can try?

• Hello all. 7th time Paris recidivist here, back for another one. Looking forward to trying the new course. And the cake. I can’t remember what pen I’m in - possibly green? 

Orbutt - these days I’m experimenting with imagining Paula Radcliffe and Steve Cram commenting on my race. ‘She’s coming up to to a tough bit now, but she’s done it before, she can do it again...what do you think Steve?’  etc. Seemed to help at my last race, kept me entertained anyway.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    PT_71 - There’s one way to sort that out. Get the trainers on, or do we need to send someone to chase you out?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Welcome back Running Rodent. Paris wouldn't be the same without you.
    If you want to find your pen, log in to your time to account at www.timeto.com click on the More Info button which is on the Paris Marathon panel then select the Registration & QR Code option.
    Page down and it will show your pen.

I like the sound of a running commentary. I think my head would generate something by Ant & Dec or Harry Hill rather than someone with running credibility