Snowdonia Marathon 2019

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Arrived at transition for the last time, came to a slow halt but once more couldn’t seem to unclip and collided with a fence and fell off, right in front of assorted marshals.  Awkward moment.  Anyway, into transition after a ludicrous 11h57 on the bike (including stopovers).

To save time I stayed in my cycling shorts and leggings for the final run, which was a quick dash up the Llanberis Path to the top of Snowdon and back.  A mistake – all the seams in cycling kit create all manner of chafing problems.   After the mandatory kit check, I set out at 0055, five minutes before the cutoff.   I felt OK – running was more my thing. But by now it was a speed hike for me, not a run.  As I climbed a whole line of headtorches were coming down towards me with very few going up.  These were the full distance triathletes who had done the swim, the bike, the three lake laps and were finishing with Snowdon.  They were mostly a couple of hours, or more, ahead of me.

It got very windy and cold.  The path seemed to go on and on and to be rougher than I was expecting.  We had been warned we might be turned back before the summit - all day there had been 60 mph gusts up there.  Indeed we were being turned round, at Clogwyn station, about 45 minutes from the top.  There were some hardy race medics camped out there.  I asked one of them if they would countenance a cheeky solo summit bid, but they said certainly not.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

So, just downhill now and back to HQ where this adventure would finally end.  I managed to shuffle along quite nicely and overtake a few tired triathletes, through the gate at the bottom, down the steep tarmac road, and back into Llanberis and the finish.  It was 0408.  Race time 19:08:11 and ninth out of nine.  Whilst I sat in the tent in a stupor, gazing at my medal, the lead double distance triathlete was just getting ready to leave. He had done his 4.8-mile swim, his 224-mile bike, and the run up Snowdon (doubles and triples did this section of the run first), and was now going to finish off with his eight lake laps (40-ish miles).  Phenomenal.  He was smashing it.

Got back to my digs very near to Pete’s Eats café and took the dog for a short walk.  Bikes were still swishing through the village.  One chap had pulled up by his crew vehicle – he had done seven bike laps but was at risk of being timed out.  Went back and crashed out on the couch.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Later in the morning after only about two hours’ sleep Mrs T Rex and I went off for breakfast and still bikes were going round.  We went over to the tent about lunchtime and met the parents of a Dutch triathlete who were anxiously looking up at Snowdon waiting for their son to come down.  He was the leading triple distance triathlete and by then had done his 7.2 mile swim and 336-mile bike.  All he had left was 13 lake laps (65-ish miles). (He went on to finish about 0730 on Monday morning for an overall race time of 46:39:39, a course record by 8 hours.  Utterly inspirational.)

On the after dark dog walk that evening (Sunday) the woods on the other side of the lake were full of headtorches, doubles and triples still out there.

The next day (Monday) we thought we’d walk on part of the lake lap and sure enough runners were still toiling round, mainly female doubles and male triples.  No women had entered the triple – I think they had more sense!  Hard to credit how they were still going – I had done my race and had had two night’s sleep and they were still out here!!

As you can tell I am very taken with this event and will certainly go back in 2020.  I want to knock a considerable amount of time off, especially on the bike leg.  I’m going to need some sort of half-descent bike, though.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Unfortunately in the Cotswold Way century on 21 September I only got as far as mile 5 coming down from Broadway Tower when  I turned my left ankle right over.

I did some loud yelling, hopped around on one foot, and leant over a gate, breathing heavily.  

I still had about 28 1/2 hours to go so I thought I'd try to hobble on but after doing another 5 miles I realised it was show over.  Too much pain.  The ankle was the same diameter as my leg.

Had to DNF there and Mrs T Rex took me Worcester hospital,  where I had an X-ray and they diagnosed Grade IV sprain with an avulsion fracture.

Despite the advice not to run from 2 doctors, 2 physios, and 1 wife, I managed to get around the Abingdon marathon course last Saturday in 4:45 to support my brother's 100th marathon, but that's it for me for this year.  Can't risk further damage.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Since I haven't even got accommodation I won't be featuring at all in SNOD this year.  I wish you all very well in your race and that you have a great time in Llanberis.

SS - is that 6-minute miling or 6 hours race??  I'll do you a chart tomorrow if that's all right.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    T Rex- I love your reports! You really should write a book! 😂 But “no accommodation” is a feeble excuse! I am staying at the bunkhouse in the heights — I’m sure they’ll have room (basic but £10 per night!). Failing that, I have a tent you can borrow — if you promise not to lose it! 😂👍
    Another crap year for me, but I have managed to get three weeks of running over 70m in and am now on my 6 day taper!! 
    See you all Friday/ Saturday.
    Oh, SS — any vegan options on the menu? 
  • TRex, great reports and sorry to hear about the injury. SNOD just won’t be the same without you!
  • Great report TR - I agree with JD2 the book would fantastic. It does sound like one hell of an event even if there seems to be a bit of a "biggest wallet wins" thing going on but I guess that's triathlons for you!

The non running list for this year's SNOD gets bigger by the day! Good luck to all that are running -hopefully see you next year ballot permitting! 

• Another amazing report TRex! So sorry that you, Mrs. TR and dog TR won’t be joining us this year. Heal well. 
    After two nice days in Llanberis, the next three are reported to be a little grim. But that’s why we come here. Travel safe.
  • ***update***

Decided 100% that we won't be opening Friday night as we have decided to prep food for the weekend. Sorry about that and hope you understand.

SS
  • Snowdonia Snail, no problem! And great that you'll be running! I'm sure I'll be in several times on Saturday and for breakfast on Sunday!
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    ***update***

Decided 100% that we won't be opening Friday night as we have decided to prep food for the weekend. Sorry about that and hope you understand.

SS
    Don’t blame you! Any vegan options, mate - for the rest of the weekend?
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Carol Kirkwood on the radio said that the heavy rain on Saturday might turn into snow on higher ground! I’m hoping this “higher ground” means Scottish mountains only!!! 🏃‍♂️❄️☃️⛄️
  • I just booked a place to eat at the Padarn Hotel for 5 at 6. Most places are booked already. Let me know your eating plans and I can modify this reservstion. Jason: chickpea curry.
  • Hi Pete, is the Padarn eating plan for Friday evening? If so can you add me to the reservation? Thanks
  • I placed a reservation for 5 potential people at 6 o’clock Friday evening. McHilly and I make 2. That leaves 3. I’m not sure how firm the number is. Most other places seem to be booked.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Is the chickpea curry at Pantri or Padarn, Pete? 
  • Here’s the menu for the Padarn:
    https://padarnhotel.co.uk/Bistro
    Click on the menu link(pdf)
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    I’ll take a rain check until Saturday! Not sure I want 3 bean chilli the night before 😂😂
  • Soup and Jacket Potato only vegan options at Pantri unfoturnately.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    For SS, nice round numbers for you:

Miles 1-5          13:00    
    Miles 6-13        12:00 
    Miles 14-22      14:00
    Miles 23-24      19:00
    Miles 25-26.2   15:00

TOTAL   5:58:00  

I think in practice though it will be:

Start
    Continue (head down)
    Finish 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Good to see normal weather resuming this year.  The BBC forecast seems to say heavy rain, but 5C and only about 7 mph westerlies?  Likely to be considerable wind chills at Bwlch-y-groes, though.  Don't forget your woolly hat.  Gloves a good idea too.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    35mph SW on mountain forecast. Significant wind chill
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    This time last year I was at about mile 9 of marathon #2.  Glad I'm not out there tonight!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    This ballot idea is a big change.  Can't now guarantee how many of us are going to meet up in future years.  I wonder what the chances of getting in will be - 1 in 3?

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow.

Thinking of you all.

Say hi to my brother if you see him on the course.  He will be in his new 100 Marathon club vest for his marathon #101.  No matter the conditions he runs in just a vest.  He'll be about 4:20 - 4:30.
  • Wow. Marathon #101, awesome.
    I'm on my 2nd 😁. Thanks for the splits, they seem very doable even for someone who has ran just 170 miles this year.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Well, been meaning to pop in to say hello.

Have fun today all.

Sorry you won't be in today TR, I'll look out for your brother.

Good to catch up with PT & SS, hope to see everyone else somewhere along the line.

TR, your split for Start, move, finish is my aim this year. Had a horrid time at York mara last weekend. Today is all about enjoying my favourite race.

Staying with friends in Bangor this year so won't be out in Llanberis tonight.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  •  I also won’t be out in Llanberis this eve as have decided to head over to stay at my friends in Criccieth rather than the hostel. Hope everyone has a great run and hopefully see you at the start, on the run, or at y Pantri where I hope to go for a coffee and cake to warm up once I’ve finished!. 
  • Good luck to all the SNOD runners braving the elements today!! Hoping the wind will be behind you all. You will all soon be in a warm dry pub to exchange stories of another SNOD run. Sorry I'm not taking part this year. Decided to take a year out. But "I'll be back" 😎