Comrades 2020

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Well, yesterday at beachy head was so much fun, but boy it was windy. At times the gusts nearly you blew you off your feet. Met Debra at the start and then we kept overtaking each other during the race. Hope your run today goes a bit more smoothly at the Cyclopark. Thanks for all the congrats.

Lowrez - hope those you can get those niggles sorted soon.

Dubai - i spotted that as well, but yes, that is his program i am following. You get access to various schedules, essentially all the major medal cut offs and you can jump between them if you feel the need. At the moment, it is aimed at a qualifying marathon on the 17th November so is geared towards that with the type of sessions you do, then recovery until Christmas and then in the New Year it ramps up again. If want any more info, just ask....
  • Yay well done on the 100th Marty
  • Marathons 97 & 98 completed! Bachy Head was windy - mostly side or head-wind, but a wonderful bit being blown up Beachy Head. Saw Marty before the race, several times during, and after. Also bumped into another Comrades runner. Today at Cyclopark my legs felt leaden - finished in 4.46! Also several Comrades runners there, including Mark Evans (who in 2017 spotted me a mile or two into the race, in the dark, calling out "Debra! What are the odds?" as he passed me) who was accompanying triple-Green Number Jack Mortassagne (I think the only Brit to have reached that, so far?), aiming to get him qualified. Alas, Cyclopark is less flat than some people had told me, and they finished a few minutes over the new 4:50 qualifying time (they would have been fine with the old 5 hrs), so will have to have another go. Ran with them for a bit at one point.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra, almost there. And I'm not totally surprised your legs felt leaden, it was tough going at times at Beachy. You amaze me with how you churn out these events week after week. Absolute star.

Keep yourself healthy and enjoy your last couple before the big day. And please have some rest, you so deserve it :)

SS - Thanks
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Marty, I forgot to say congrats on your 100th! Well done you - glad you enjoyed the day.
    And yes, taking it easy now until Wendover Woods 50.
  • Marty - Congratulations on your 100th!

Debra - nearly there too! Good luck for your next two.

Coaching - I got myself a coach (a friend of a friend) in December when I found myself entered for Comrades, Western States and Hardrock in 2019.

It costs a fair bit but I get a day-by-day schedule, a Skype call every fortnight and can e-mail queries.

It has really worked well for me and I am pretty certain that I would not have finished Western States without her help.

She’s trying to get me trained up for a Comrades / Hardrock double in 2020.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Looking good you two! No pictures of cake or t-shirt???? Or does that happen later? Congrats Marty!

Given I'd apparently recovered well from the last run I pushed out the boat a bit and ran half marathon distance (in 2:23 which would scrape me Comrades qualifier if I tag another half on the end - ha ha). Conscious I am not playing this by the book having started at 5 from nowhere, bumped to 8 last weekend and now 13, but I do call myself an ultra runner! Left hip and ham once again conspired to mildly worry me for most of it, but nothing broke, and I reasoned nothing is going to be perfect on this journey back, so told the old bones to shut up and kept going. Was giggling at something a friend said; Make sure you get your money's worth out of the Phys on Wednesday; go along in complete pieces and get them to fix you! I am sure that won't be the case, but I will have plenty to discuss!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So are we all staying up till midnight to get our entries in? Will the site open at 00:00:01 hours tomorrow?
  • I think 8am South African time... so 6am in the UK?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Site is offering the entry process now, teasing you, lets you advance so far, but when you attempt to log-in to confirm it cycles you back to the beginning.
  • lowrez: glad to hear of your progress - but don't go bumping it up to a marathon next weekend...
    Slow Duck: I'm pretty sure coaching would help me at this point - it's working out what's reasonable to pay and what I should be getting for my money that's more difficult.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Entries are open.   I'm in
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo I could go for a Meander down The Thames - in a punt.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Superb spot Dannirr - I'm in too!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    134 signed up so far, they're rattling in, can see Becca and Running Rodent have made it too!
  • Yes, I went to bookmark the entry page and there was the live entry button - here we go again!
  • Don't make any mistakes on your entry form - I made some, tried to correct, it wouldn't accept, went back a few pages - now it's saying
    " There is already an similar entry entered for this event. This is perhaps because you have already entered for this event. " BUT it's also saying " You have not entered any entry forms so far."
    ARRGHHH!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I had two red errors that would not clear even after I fixed them - e-mail confirm and moby number - I just kept pegging away at it and ultimately it gave in. I have an e-mailed entry confirmation.
  • Worked after I turned my computer off and on again. Paid. Got confirmation email and receipt.
    lowres - hope yours is getting sorted
    Entries so far, according to website, 185.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ahh - switch it off and back on again! Here I go!
  • Where's the list of entrants?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So the site did open at 00:00:01 local time, and I was a few minutes early on my first attempt above, they are currently 2 hrs ahead of UK time.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You can check the start list here
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    See you in Durbs for the next amazing installment of this iconic race.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    That's me entered, back for number 11.

Marty congrats on the 100, and everyone else congrats on some excellent running. Welcome to the newbies too.

I am currently on the injured list, everytime I run my knee starts to hurt at about the 5km point so going to have to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. I can still cycle so just doing that to keep fit.
  • Marty, thanks and congrats on your 100th.

Can't get onto the Comrades site.
  • SD thanks for the input re coaching
  • Yes, I'm in. Now says there are 6599 entries, 99 from the UK.
    Hope your knee recovers with some rest Peter R. I've been taking glucosamine once a day since my left knee flared up last year, and so far it's been behaving.