Snowdonia Marathon 2019

12346»

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hope you are all making good progress around the course.  The grass section could be a bit slippy so take it steady.  Looking forward to the S4C coverage tomorrow.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Good to see SS, PT and McHilly. Am I the only Snodder out in Llanberis tonight? SS wasn’t sure. Chimney, hope to see you before the end of events.
    Nice to run without any pressure today! It meant I could walk most of the last hill and ALL of the grass descent. It was awful there- reminded me of a 1:3 version of xc! 
    Oh, then I fell in the last mile on the tarmac track when I stepped on the grass in the middle to overtake! Airborne over steep concrete, but luckily no lasting damage! 2 Roman centurions picked me up. Honestly- I thought I’d banged my head, but everyone else could see them too! 
    I did suffer though from about 14-18 where there was no protection from the bitingly cold wind. In no time, I couldn’t feel my toes, then my quads froze up. That was a long walk/run grind for a while. Ok again when we got more shelter. 2 pairs of gloves and a hat was a good idea- shorts and no tights not so much?
    Anyway, Another coaster for the collection and a good hard training run in the bank 👍
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    2019 Snowdonia Marathon Eryri. Jason Dickinson Time-04:13:56 Pos-620 Chip-04:13:24 see all times at www.chiptimes.biz
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Well, that was what I needed.
    Realised how much I love this race when I caught myself being disappointed coming into Waun Fawr that it was all going to be over soon! 
    Walked almost all the last hill up, but there was no way I wasn't going to have fun on the way down. Perfect conditions for me. 
    JD, every year I go down the grass in the middle, softer on my knees.
    Talking of knees, they swore the steep bit on that bit of road was steeper and longer than it's been before!
    Time, really was immaterial this year. Just wanted to enjoy it and get York out my system. Stopped my watch a few seconds shy of 04:24.
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Sorry I didn't catch many of you coming over the line, but did get my annual hug from runjono as usual! The highlights will be on S4C at 6pm tomorrow (and clic/iPlayer for 35 days thereafter). Well done everyone - you're all awesome :smile:
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Just looked up my timing pad times around the course - https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results/individual?event=3484&racenumber=1975
    Interesting to see that to top of PyP I was 1138th, by 14 miles I was 1114th, 23 miles I was 1061st, and 942nd at the finish. Guess that's what comes from taking it easy, you don't lose much in the second half.
    Stopped for a few photos around the course, most of them selfies tbh....
  • Ouch Jason sounds like you were quite fortunate coming out of that fall relatively unscaved. Probably be a bit sore tomorrow. So glad you are okay mate. Yeah sorry there were fewer SNODers around this year. Sure the gang will be back together in a future fun packed installment.
  • Anyone know what time Y Pantri opens this morning? Thinking I’ll pop in for brunch before heading home
  • Mc Hilly. 10 o clock.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Be there shortly 😊
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    hope you are all not too battered this morning after yesterday's exploits!

i have taken the plunge this last week and put my trainers on again 9 months on from the Achilles tear and started the couch to 5k 12years after first starting running.  Came back from my first ‘run’ of 8 x 1min with 2min walks in between with such a grin on my face... did 10 x 1min this morning with no ill effects as well :smile: looking forward to doing 2min running intervals this week and *if* i’m still following the plan in one piece by the time the ballot opens i will be taking my chances of going for a trip around the mountain again next year :smiley:
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Good news, panad.  A nasty injury.  I've 'only' had tendinopathy in both achilles and that took  long enough to recover from.  Ease yourself in gently - no downhills or uneven surfaces.

I've started the 2020 thread.  

Did you get your 6, SS?
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Lol!  TRex - not sure i could find anywhere to run around here without hills and uneven surfaces!  But definitely taking it easy...

it sounds like your experience of brutal duathlon was similar to my triathlon a few years back...i was on a v similar bike (and mine has flat handlebars rather than road ones) and a rucksack and bag-for-life as my transition bags...  i did love it though, and everyone was incredibly friendly/supportive despite my kit! :smiley:
  • Lovely to catch up with SS & PT6 (well done on your times) and FOOW (thanks once again for the finish line hugs - hugely appreciated!) again but sorry to hear so many people not able to take part this year.  Apologies for radio silence - been focussing family commitments (daughter's swimming, running, triathlon & taekwondo entries hard to keep up with...) and alpine running (CCC) for this year, so have frequented Y Pantri much more than usual due to training in Snowdonia (much closer than the real Alps!).  Bit slippery at the top  this year, about every 10 seconds heard an "Oooh" from in front or behind me as yet another runner went A over T.  Being the cautious sort I tiptoe down when it's like that, so pleased with 3h 52 - makes it a dozen sub-4hr SNODs.  Hoping for a place it in the ballot next year, and hope to catch up with you all too.  
  • Well done everyone. That final slope looked lethal this year judging by the highlights. There didn't seem to be as many spectators at the finish as in previous years or was that my imagination? The guy who took my place won his age group so can I claim some of his glory??!!!
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Panda - great news. I think C25k is an excellent idea to get back without overdoing it
    T Rex- Good , good. I just popped in to see if anyone had started the 2020 thread.
    LG- No, there was loads of support at the home straight. As difficult as ever to get through the crowds!
    RJ - nice running! I walked the whole of the downhill this year. I figured that as I was only there for a LSR it wasn’t worth risking injury. Then I fell on the concrete track! Lol!
    Im not sure if I will get automatic entry or go through the ballot next year. Is the 10 entries ruling starts or finishes 🤔 Either way, I don’t think anyone will have a problem getting in if they want to. If I don’t get a place, my plan is to train like I have, book accommodation as if I have, and then pick up one of the hundreds of places that come up in September. 
    Anyway, I better get in: I’ve just run the first 10k of training for it, with the same or similar to come this afternoon 😀
  • massivemassive ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! Well another SNOD has come and gone. Fourth time for me and as enjoyable as ever. Was my slowest to date, partly due to not feeling great from about mile 16 and then the descent!! One poor guy just in front of me fell 3 times. Still happy with my time of just over 4 hours. Was a bit disappointed that the electric mountain centre was closed as I enjoy the gathering of all runners before the start. Sat in my car watching the rugby instead. Anyway let's hoping all those who want a place for next year get lucky in this new ballot......I'm sure I'll be in it!
  • Glad the crowds were there it just looked a little thin when the winner came in - perhaps he was too fast!

What's the 10 entries ruling? Must have missed that.

• There was mention on the marathon facebook page (in the middle of a thread, not as a separate post) that although the bulk of places will be through ballot, the organisers also appreciate the loyalty of nutters runners who come back time and again, so they intend to keep a number of places aside for those who have done 10 or more. No mention of how that will be done come registration time but I'm sure details will be announced at some point. 

• Thanks FOW. I made similar suggestion on the Facebook page last December and the response was (mainly) favourable. A lot of people do have a long history with the race and it would be nice for that support to be rewarded - it didn't always sell out in half an hour. The first time I ran in 1999 you could enter the day before!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    The first year I entered, 2010, I persuaded a friend to do it also. He entered in May....
    It's got a tad more popular since.
  • This year was my 13th year working on it for the highlights programme - it certainly has changed since I started!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hope you all got on well on Saturday!! I did think of you 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Posted on the new thread, but 70% of accommodation in Llanberis for the 2020 race is already taken 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Great coverage on S4C.   PT and SS prominent in the opening shots at the start.

Unusual to see most of the leading men taking tumbles down the grassy section!   I notice the leading women didn't seem to?!

I wondered why none of you were mentioning the rain, but that's because it didn't seem to be raining?  Here in South Wales it was bucketing down relentlessly for 24 hours.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    we had the rain all day Friday, and overnight and first thing Saturday, but by race start it had eased off and within half hour of the start had disappeared TRex!  Hence the extremely wet conditions over the top from Bwlch-y-Groes and the river coming down the final descent..
  • Morning all. 
    Nice to catch up with everyone over the weekend. And well done everyone. Report to follow. Somehow managed 5:41 with so little training, many thanks for the splits T Rex. 
    SS