Tuesday 29th October 2019 - I am not in love But I'm open to persuasion

emzapemzap ✭✭✭
I am not in love
But I'm open to persuasion

Yesterday's were David Bowie Starman

What: walk to doc for checks
Why: 6 week mark
Last hard: getting to today

If I'm given the all clear I will be building up very slowly and still limiting any lifting or core work.  Really hoping I can drive more than anything!  

How are the legs hazel and chamolk

Dustin that sounds like a fun run :)

Chick ditto what lmh says about marathon on

Have a lovely day all

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning emzap hope all is good and you can drive
    My sleeping is a bit wrecked :-(
    Lmh oh is up and down not great tbh. His mum not good either, her weight is worse than ever and I now suspect he'll have to care for her, which is crap for us. I'm alone pretty much every night now 
    What little run then more with son
    Why he liked last night, sorry run long walk
    Last hard yesterday
    last rest 31/12/16
    Bleurgh
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning.

(((Wabo))) Sorry to hear that things aren't good. It's going to take a while for his mum to adjust but he does need to try to encourage her to keep as much independence as possible, difficult to do though.

Really hope that you get the all clear emzap.

I was sort of planning a slightly longer run this morning but my left knee was niggling before I even got out of bed so I shall see how that is when I walk. Hopefully it will be ok for a few easy miles if nothing else, so far it's actually been ok when running and tweaky when walking. I do need to remember that York wasn't that long ago - it feels like forever. Need to fit in a visit to the gym too but I am as enthusiastic as usual about that :-)

What:          hopefully some easy miles/maybe gym
    Why:           I want to/needs must
    Last hard:   winter
    Last rest:    26/10

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yes, LMH, York was not as long ago as it seems! 

Hope all goes well at the docs, Emz! No rush for things though! And we know you and Lucas are doing really well. 

What: short run and long stretch/strengthening

Why: Tuesday, plus work gets in the way. 

Very icy this morning! Supposed to be a sunny day though.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    ((Wabo)) 
    Emz - hope the docs goes well
    LmH - take it easy! Looks a bright start (well here it does anyway!)
    What - Training night, I'm coaching 16x1minute, 30s rest
    Not sure how hard I'll manage keeping track of time
    Why - Tuesday
    Last rest - 10 days
    last hard - Sunday 
  • Morning

Good luck emzap. 

More hugs to Wabo.  Hope everything settles down soon.

Careful with that knee niggle LMH. 

No ice yet here Ale but no sun either.

Nice XCing Dustin.  Enjoy coaching this evening.

Hope you got home ok chamolk - how are the legs today?  Good if you can do stairs normally!

Trail race is a good post-mara break from pounding the tarmac Chicksta.  Which ultra plan are you following? 

Legs not too bad today - bit stiff but no real DOMS.  Short recovery (5k) seems to have done them good.

What: probably group run this evening.  Maybe not a great idea due to the hills but will take it easy
    Why: Tuesday
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 25.10.

• Morning

Wabo : Hugs
    Em: Good luck at GP but take it easy if you get the go ahead.
    Hazel: Good luck tonight with the hills:-)
    LMH: Hope knee is okay but York was not even 2 weeks ago :)
    OH: Did you see Snowdonia Marathon on TV on Sunday on Iplayer as well.If my achilles ever became normal that is one marathon I would try but as it is never going to be right I shall just have to watch on TV and save me all that training...LOL

Cold here 2 degrees ice on cars but ground clear thank goodness.

What;3.3 miles
    Why: Comeback after virus mark 3
    Last hard: Virus
    Lyrics Yes

Thank goodness I was up for a run but a lot colder than when I last ran will take it easy and hopefully last of those nasty virus things.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Lazy-ish day today, badminton this evening.

Tired and supposed to be tapering.
    Last hard: Sunday
    Lyrics - what's a lyric?

Didn't watch Snowdonia this year but have done it 3 times.

Garmin 35 wrist HR probably is reasonably accurate (similar readings to pulse oximeter during brief running breaks, HR recording falls gradually after stopping running (as expected) and HR during easy run (with push at the end) was in 96-144 range)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lyrics I meant to say oh yes
    Oh I didn't watch either - a mate of mine has moved there and did 4.50.  I have accommodation if I try for next year, just don't know
    Thanks for all the hugs everyone
    hazel enjoy the hills and take care
    alehouse enjoy your run and stretches
    Dustin, hope your timing is good!
    lmh enjoy the easy miles or even the gym
    Son enjoyed a short run  and long walk last night, lots of miles I am getting in lately, walking anyway!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Been given the all clear! So I can drive and do cardio, but still have to be careful lifting.

Don't worry, will start with run walk and build up gradually :)

Just have to go for a scan for final check up but fingers crossed it'll be clear.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    excellent news Emzap, happy for you!
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Morning

Great news Emzap
    LMH hope the knee is OK
    I've never really gone for HR based training, but it's interesting to hear others' experiences with it. 
    WP - hopefully no more viruses, but I suppose it's that time of year

Legs are fine today, no pains, barely any stiffness - I'm really surprised, but obviously pretty happy. Had to resist the temptation to do a bit of cross training last night, but think I'll go for a few easy miles later to see how things feel. LMH I think you were right about recovering quicker due to running more miles per week.

It's just been announced that from next year Dublin is going to a lottery application system, opens shortly - anyone who fancies it, get your applications in soon.

Lyrics - no
  • Great news emzap.

Good that you have been able to get back to it at last Poppy. Hope you're properly better now.

Walking is good Wabo.

Enjoy the easy chamolk.

The optical HRM are wildly inaccurate and inconsistent on me OH but Mark gets on well with them.

A run with company will be nice as long as you can keep it easy Hazel.

Nice and bright - but chilly Dustin.

Knee was fine on my walk and I could just feel it in the last couple of miles of my run so I was sensible and didn't extend it. I have written myself a note to get out of the gym though as I seem to have a stiff/sore right side of my neck/shoulder - as though I've slept on it awkwardly only I didn't notice it until near the end of my run. As I have a long day travelling on Saturday I'd like it to be better by then. I can make time for the gym later in the week if it goes as quickly as it came.
  • More hugs coming your way, wabo. That is really a lot you and your other half are having to contend with.

Great news, em! Being able to drive again is such a relief. And the exercise is good for the head. I looked at Brüder Grimm Lauf for next year. It's still on my bucket list but boy, it does sound hard! How did you get on with the double days? The last stage must hurt like hell! 

Good that your knee doesn't seem too bad, LMH. Hope you can sort the shoulder out before the flight. Airplane seats always give me back and shoulder pain. 
    +1 for optical HRMs being unreliable but I think that's got to do with tiny girls' wrists - the contact area is too small.

Thanks for the vote of confidence re. my Berlin time but it was 12 mins down on my PB. OK, in terms of WAVA it was one of my better performances but I was more thinking in absolute figures. Somehow off-road racing holds a lot of appeal right now. That may change again when the knees give up on me one day ;)

Can I have your legs, chamolk? Amazing powers of recovery. What's your typical weekly mileage if you don't mind me asking?

Enjoy the group run tonight, Hazel. I'm following Krissy Moehl's plan. She has a good mix of strength work, hills, a bit of speedy stuff and mileage in them. They sound fun and are hopefully doable. 

Happy coaching, Dustin.

You've had your fair share of viruses, poppy. Fingers crossed you can move on now. 

What: Cross-trainnig day - mix of spinning bike, elliptical and treadmill walking at 11% incline plus upper body strength work
    Why: ultra training day 2
    Last hard: not running on a cold but still and beautiful day
    Last rest: Sunday
  • You're very disciplined chicksta - that's why I'd be no good following a schedule, couldn't have chosen to stay in and do that on a lovely running day.
  • I'm on a learning curve and I trust Krissy's plan. This phase is about building strength which I'm lacking and which I will need if I want to conquer Chapman's Peak and Constantia Nek, the two mean hills of Two Oceans. Volume will come later so time to park the ego and the mileage obsession for a bit :)
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Chapman's peak drive is my favourite run in the world chick :). The views may help you forget the pain!
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Chicksta - dunno how they'd look on you, they're fairly hairy. Before my recent taper, I averaged about 40 miles a week for 12 weeks (including an easier week every 4th week). Max was 52 miles in one week, though that took me a while to recover from. That compares to an average of about 20 per week for the similar time before I did London this year - I was doing about 3 runs a week then. After London, I kept my runs short for a month or two, but increased to 5 or 6 runs a week, which I think helped get me used to recovering, then when I started increasing the miles again in late June, I was still able to run 5-6 times a week. I also made a real effort to improve my diet this year, which I think has helped. I had fairly regular back to back days with moderate /hard efforts too - 6-8 miles at MP Saturday, then 16-18 miles sunday with about 13 at MP or slightly faster. 

Did an easy 5k this evening - legs felt pretty good. My usual evening route is now pretty dark though, I'll need to dig out the head torch again