Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    Hi Snail... great to hear that! And there's plenty of time to recover between Comrades and NDW100 - eight weeks between the two races. Time to rest, build up again and taper!
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Hi SS.  Good news - I see you changed your mind and will be back for the big C. Comrades has that effect.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yo! SS! Ha ha! Splendid news :D
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Snail that's superb.
  • Options
    Wow, it has filled up fast. Glad I was up early yesterday. Dubai I noticed quite a few UK entries are down as Dubai Creek Runners, do you know them all?
    Millsy who were you supporting in Albi? Is that something you're thinking of doing in the future? I was dipping in and out of the live feed, but mainly to see if Camille Heron could get the overall win.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Snail, myself and mrs Mills are also booked into the Onomo.

Stan, we were supporting Paul Maskell. Me and a few others grew up in the same village so have known each other since we were 3. So we got a group of us and school friends to go and support. Me and Paul both started running about 10 years ago although he is much better than I am.
    Witnessing Camille in the flesh was something else. She just looked so solid the whole way. 
    Its not something I fancy really. I like running a long way but like to have something interesting to look at or some hills to break things up a bit.
  • Options
    I suspect I'll have to try a 12-hour or 24-hour some time. I think I would prefer a longer loop, not a track race, although I do know several people who have done 24-hour track and say it's not as bad as you would expect...
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Well, I been to Nedbank to make a direct deposit yesterday.  Of course if failed in multiple ways - could not do it at the self-serve, and then at the teller there was a validation on the reference so that it could only be an SA ID number.

Plan C - pay by instant EFT (which takes up to three hours obviously)

Then write letter about the rules and why I am entering as a SA citizen as per the ASA rules.  Visit Police Station to certify my Permanent Residence and Passport copies.  Buy an envelope from the local shop with barely any glue.  Stuff (1) paper application (2) justification letter (3) copy of EFT (4) Certified copies of passport and Permanent Residency.  Then the man at the Post Office recognises me from last year, asks how I did, how often I train etc.  Very nice he was.  

If it is like last year, I will wait for 3 weeks for the letter to be delivered and then it won't be processed until January.

Probably the folks at Comrades are expecting my letter anyway - it will be the same as last year.

Let's optimistically say I am IN

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Oh... I'm ill and a doubt for Soweto, although I will probably pick up the T-shirt since the Expo is close to my office
  • Options
    Bike it: Sympathies! Good luck for your Comrades entry making it to the right place. And hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    Bike It - sounds like running the race is actually the easy bit for you!
  • Options
    Millsy looks like you might get to see Camille Herron run again, she's listed under the US entries for Comrades, along with Jim Walmsley (is this his first Comrades?) and Howard Stern (surely not that Howard Stern). Ian Sharman's in, as well as Holly Rush, Vassos Alexander and Sophie Raworth under GBR, but no sign of Steve Way, yet. Sure I've missed a few.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I don't see Brian Williams listed either
  • Options
    I'm still undecided :-( (whereas until recently i was definately not going)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    JAR's not listed yet although I think he was talking about substitution due to the monumentalness of his injury if things went splendidly well on recovery.

Come on McH, it'll sell out by end of tomorrow probably, I'm sure you will be able to get Shanghai leave :)

Brian Williams; you mean Lustmord?
  • Options
    No will power, i've entered! I must be mad.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yeehaar! McH is in da race! :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Back in the asylum with us all McH :)
  • Options
    Yay Mc Hilly!
    24905 places gone...

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    "The 95th Comrades Marathon will be a Down Run on Sunday, 14 June 2020. The race starts at the Pietermaritzburg City Hall at 05h30 and ends 12 hours later at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban, covering a 90,2km distance. This will be the 47th Down Run in Comrades history.

The entry cap has been increased from 25,000 to 27,500 entries, making the Comrades Marathon the largest single distance road race in South Africa. Of this 27,500 entry allocation, 7,000 entries are reserved exclusively for novice entrants and 2,500 entries are reserved exclusively for international entrants.

A special commemorative medal denoting the 95th edition of the Comrades Marathon will be struck for next year’s race."

So, I wonder what distribution of places are left in this final 2,500 or so!

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Welcome back McH

• Options
    Yay McH - well done. See you there
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Great to see that the lure of Comrades has enticed SS and McH again :-)
    What a process Bike It, you'll just have to run 25 to get the free entry.
  • Options
    McHilly -  no good comes of resisting, it’s best just to give in  :)
    I still don’t understand how they manage the postal entries - if they let 27,500 enter online, how do they know how many are in the post? Might be another 10,000?
  • Options
    Right... I'm in! Entries going fast and I've just entered ... Already nervous!
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard LoveLifeRun.  You won't regret signing up, even if it is nerve-wracking.  You will see why we all keep going back.

Great news McH.  

New York Marathon for me on Sunday and I'm presently trying to avoid the germs that the person who shares my office is currently carrying.
  • Options
    Becca - good luck for Sunday (and for keeping away from those germs!) Got my Strava qualifier this weekend for next years New York.

Mac - good luck too at New York this weekend
  • Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Awful long time since I posted.
    i qualified for 2019, then got thrown a femoral neck stress fracture in April putting me on crutches through Comrades. Healing has been super slow but all being well i should be released by the doc on Monday. I’ve entered for next year, optimistic that medal 7 will be bagged this time round.

good luck to all doing NY this weekend 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Mac3 and Becca in New York. It's a great race.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Terry, good luck Mac in NYC.

Good luck with your Strava qualifier Snail.  

What rotten luck Matt.  I hope that the doc has good news and that you are able to get back into form for a qualifier and the race itself.