Not first line of lyrics as that has title in

What: going to try a short walk from once husband home
Why: I can start slowly
Last hard: my last run was June I think

Have a great day!

Comments

• Morning.

Enjoy emzap.

I wasn't thinking volume chicksta just that I'd rather be outside enjoying a run on a nice day.

If you can increase your mileage in the your next campaign you're going to be knocking on the door of sub 3 chamolk.

What:               short and easy
    Why:                ticking over
    Last hard:        remembering how recent York was
    Last rest:         26/10

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning,

What: Short run
    Why: Building back up
    Last hard: Virus
    Lyrics: Yes

Late start for me but at least it will be light when I run.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Morning!

Lyrics: yes

What: short run this evening 

Why: seeing what I can fit in after work/before it is dark

Edit: am looking for a new "Garmin" (or other brand). Would like wrist based HRM. In trying to mend the strap on my TomTom Cardio2 I managed to get superglue on the buttons...

OH/LMH: did you get emails from me?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    chick what a good mix of training
     lyrics no
    emzap enjoy your walk
    managed a mile run and 3 walking with son last night, loving it!
    Pops enjoy the short run, hope you are all better now
    LMH have a good short run
    alehouse you too, enjoy 

What: run with mate later, maybe 5 miles
    why: I have a space in the evening
    last hard: last night
    last rest: 31/12/16
    Nanna duties last night to collect Cleo from 3 hours dance training, tonight to take and her mate  her there.  She's dancing at her majesty's theatre in December - proud or what!!!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I did Alehouse and I replied. Mark uses the Garmin 235.

That's a lot of training for a little one Wabo - I bet she's sleeping well!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I know LMH and solid training too, 3 x days 3 hours a day!!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh blimey alehouse thats annoying about the superglue!!
  • Morning again!

Funnily enough I was looking at the 235, LMH! No email reply though, although am wondering if I have an email problem as was expecting some others which I haven't received. Can you repost please?

Dancing and Cleo sounds good Wabo!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning!

Great news for you emzap.  Could you follow a C25k or similar plan to slowly build back up to running?

Good news on the knee but less so on the shoulder / neck LMH if you have a lot of travelling to do.  How is that today?

Ale has your TomTom wrist strap snapped at the buckle?  That has just happened to me and seems to be a weak point.  Shame I didn't know about it before the superglue incident as I might have been able to point you to alternative straps (just purchased).  I will also get out the superglue to try to fix the old one as a reserve (but without the watch bit in the strap).

Will look at Krissy Moehl Chicksta.  Thanks.  Seems a good training mix from what you have written.

Good mara result that on not so high mileage Chamolk. 

Hope you had a good short run WP.

Cleo works hard Wabo do you get to see her dance in December?

What: rest day
    Why: time for one after Sunday's race although legs actually ok.
    Last hard: planning for spring (stop procrastinating and sign up for something!)
    Last rest: today

Lyrics: no
  • It's improved but still noticeable Hazel. I'm feeling guilty for not doing my gym program but I know there's a good chance it would exacerbate it. What are you thinking of for spring?

I've re-sent it Alehouse.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Morning all
    Wabo - that is fabulous news for Cleo!
    Emz - good news for you too! 
    chamolk - I agree there is more to come, it's a big leap from 3.30 to 3 though, but you'll definitely improve towards 3:15. I ceratianly found aiming for 55-65 mile weeks (topping out at 70) led to my faster marathon times. Logistically I probably couldn't do anymore.
    It is a big ask though...
    Chick - is the ultra plan available online or is it in her book? I'd like to see that.
    I'm with LMH on getting outside unless it's brutal (so for me, not in the past 5+ years), although I accept that most strength & conditioning is best done in the gym. I'd rather do running related training outside, although sometimes you have to drive to suitable venues (steep hills, sand). I think adherence to a plan is "variable": I aim to follow one but often sessions move day / week to coincide with warm up races, XC and life in general!

What - steady lunchtime and possibly some speedwork this evening
    Why - usual lunchtime and deferring yesterday's session. I more or less ran easy last night - coaching minute on/minute off isn't great if you wish to join in!
    Last rest - Last Saturday
    Last hard - Sunday

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hazel yes we have tickets to see her, it is classical greek and something else - a surprise apparently! She has a moc comp on sunday this week as well which will be performed  in front of an audience, can't wait! She is brave
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Cleo sounds amazing, wabo. No wonder you're proud :)

Sorry to hear your shoulder is still giving you grief, LMH

Dustin: I think the plans are only available in the book. Will post photo of a sample week so you can see what it looks like. I have a bunch of other ultra  books as well but somehow this one sticks out and I love the way she comments the training sessions. Most other books have just a rather bland table. 

Going forward I may watch the forecast more closely and switch days around so that I pick nice weather for my running days and use the xt day when it's foul. No schedule is completely written in stone :)

Chamolk: Agree with what Dustin and LMH said. That sub 3 is quite realistic. I perform well on 70 mpw and would quite possibly be a much faster runner if I could sustain higher mileage but anything approaching 80 breaks me. Ageing body and all that ...  and regarding the legs: you can keep them if they're so hairy :D 

Hazel: What are your plans for spring?

Enjoy your walk, Em

Ale: very annoying. Hope you find a suitable alternative. I use the Garmin fenix 5S but it's rather expensive (mine was a gift). It has a ton of features that I don't really need but that are nice to have, like being able to record about any activity known to man - strength, yoga, indoor cycling, trail running, hiking - you name it, Garmin covers it. 

What: 5 mile run (outside  B) ) and another s&c session at the gym
    Why: building strength
    Last hard: moving! I'm very, very sore so the sessions must be working
    Last rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: no
  • Training plan sample

• Short easy run
    Swim in the sun.
    Nice day here
    Last hard: Sunday
    Lyrics no

AH: received email re HRZ 3 days ago and responded but nothing since.

Other than in danger of becoming a cardiac neurotic, I am very pleased with Garmin 35.
    Battery life seems good.
    Easy to read screen without reading glasses.
    A lot simpler intuitive interface than other models.
    Sync with mobile phone not only gives you a lot more breakdown but will automatically import into Fetch (or Strava ...)
    Half the price of 235 at £102 on Amazon.

Only minor gripe is that units are imperial OR metric. Can't mix and match.
    I like running distance in miles but swimming in metres, body weight in kg and atmospheric temperature in Celsius.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Good to hear people think I can maybe manage sub 3. When I was training for London this year I thought I'd never get to that sort of level, but after the weekend I think I might manage it. Hearing the miles some people do to get it is a bit daunting though. 40 a week seemed a fair amount to me, and 50 seemed to be pushing it a bit. I had ITB pains a few times during the year that seemed to be linked to increased miles, so I need to take any increases gradually. That said, 25 seemed like a lot only 6 months or so ago, so I guess it just shows how the body adapts. Current plan is to aim for 3:15 in Paris, and sub 1:30 for a half in the spring - I'll see how close I get, then can revise my targets if needed.

I've got the new P&D advanced marathoning book, but I never really like following scheduled - I like seeing what each coach recommends, then picking and choosing what I like and what seems to work - the 55 mile option looks closest to what I think I could manage.

What - prize giving for the recent half marathon series, got a nice new jacket. No running though.
    Why - legs feel OK, but I'm making myself rest well for a week or two, as I know I'll be increasing miles again soon.

Lyrics - yes. Saw this artist live earlier this year for the first time. Along with Bowie, one of my favourites.

Hope the walk went well emzap. As Hazel says, the c25k program might be a good start.

3 hours of dancing seems like a lot to me, think I'd rather run.

That's a shame about glueing the watch alehouse. That said, over the years I've glued my thumb to the pavement and my finger to someone's face
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    First run was a success! I did 1min 30 run, 1 min Walk x 8 with a 5 Min walk to start. Fitness wasn't bad but was limited due to legs mostly. Tummy felt fine and that's what I was most worried about.  Probably try the same again in Friday :) 
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be nosey, but I think I joined too recently too know the background - is this recovery from surgery emzap? 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Chamolk yes, a not straightforward pregnancy followed by a rather stressful birth resulting in emergency c section.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. I'd picked up on your comment about waiting to drive a while ago and wondered if it was that, but forgot to reply.

I know it's not much help now you've been told it's ok, but there isn't usually a specific time frame you can't drive for after a c section - people are often told 6 weeks, but that's based on other surgeries. The DVLA don't stipulate any particular time frame. The main issue is whether or not you're insured (as driving while unfit invalidates your insurance), and they usually say don't drive until your doctor says you're fit. I've told patients they're OK after a week or two following a section (I work as a GP), provided they're OK, not especially sore, and are confident they can do an emergency stop if required (I'll tell them to try this in a brief test drive beside their house to check it's not sore). Having a new born can be a very stressful and isolating time, and not being able to drive can be a real problem for some. 

Sorry I wasn't here a few weeks ago. Though, of course, I'd also have recommended you did whatever your own doctor advised, rather than follow the advice of a stranger online, but I find often doctors just say 6 weeks as it's what has historically been advised. 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Thanks chamolk. Unfortunately my insurance stated I had to be cleared by my GP which would only happen at my 6 week check. Though, due to all the other problems I had, I was half expecting her not to clear me at 6 weeks (independent of section).  Luckily I can walk to a fair bit, so it wasn't too isolated.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's the standard insurance company policy. It's also unfortunately the standard GP response too, which I feel isn't great, as its not based on any real evidence, and simply serves to make things more difficult for a group of people who have enough to be worrying about without having to try and get lifts everywhere.

Anyway.....