Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Yes, very different weather this morning...and tomorrow will no doubt be different again! Wish I could feel good, TS! Am not struggling as much as you were after the spinal surgery, nor I after my Achilles op! Am just being very careful, possibly too cautious but better that than causing more problems. At some point I will have to bite the bullet and run further!

Birch: am glad the quads are sore! Wouldn't be fair to the rest of us otherwise! 

Lots of cross training in the garden here today; short run (with very short breaks) and the fitness suite (as the uni calls it) this evening, with refuelling afterwards. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    tried out my club's Thurs evening session - 6 miles in total, inc 3 x 8 mins, which in my case came out at spot on one mile each (the course is around a half-mile loop in the park) 
    legs were still a bit sore, so happy with that (btw, TS - just remembered you asked re my "long run" pace) - not certain, as it included "chat & breather" breaks (its a social run group on Tues morns), but probably around 10 mm - that's more or less my easy run pace.   

sounds a perfect day, TS - run & grandkids :)    

alehouse - continue to admire your discipline re the rehab etc  . . .   

Dave
  • Options
    So, cast self-discipline aside yesterday and decided to run 5k without a number on, but in the company of others in a park at 9 a.m. No warm up apart from some stretching: wasn't convinced that I would be able to make the full 5k, never mind 5k plus a warm up!
    Set off steadily with 6:10 for the first km. A long stretch of ankle deep water helped slow the pace. Latched on to someone I knew who has also been injured and we gradually upped the pace and passed over 60 before the end. Stopped the clock at 26:16 so have to be happy with that given all that has gone on over the last 2 months. That was actually my longest run in that time. Slight reaction today in that both hamstrings are a bit tight, which is no surprise. Frustrating though that I have lost over 4 minutes since the sacrum fracture.
    Now do I enter LFoM given that I have got train tickets (it was going to be autumn's target race) or do I just meet up with people and settle for the alehouse?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hey, alehouse - nice one , even better that you came through (relatively) unscathed
    LFoM - well, as you have train tickets . . .  

legs had finally recovered enough for a steady 10.5 yesterday and 3.5 today, so 36 for the week.   18 more to reach 1,000 miles for the year (time was, like most on here I would guess, I'd reach that a lot earlier than "clocks going back" time).   

Dave
  • Options
    No race for me still unwell and spasm in leg from calf to glutes took forever to release and very very painful which left me limping. Will be home late Tuesday and just want to get back to normal again and try to catch up.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    oh that is so unfortunate for you after all your excellent training :(
    You need some of the luck that the Welsh team had yesterday......................

Alehouse
    that was still an encouraging time despite swimming part of the way!  two months off and only 4 min down is not to be sniffed at.
    The weather is supposed to be good for the rest of the week and whilst you will not set records a jaunt around Hyde Park may be good.

Dave
    well I am only 400 miles behind you :/!!

I had spent much of Friday on my knees repairing a flat roof (don't ask!) and while Saturday provide some recovery by watching rugby, they were still stiff on Sunday as I ran the now usual 5.2 miles in 50:50 (9:50m/m) and they hadn't eased off this morning so I baled out after a mile n ot wanting to do any damage. Mr Sensible indeed - I have taken over from Alehouse!!
  • Options
    Mick

where are you - building houses?!
  • Options
    Ditto  Columba ( not the building houses bit)

Hash last night produced 4 miles of quiet quick (for me!) running on mainly flat roads in dry and crisp conditions and 4 miles this morning in 39:30 ((52m/m) in lovely autumn sunshine made the pain worthwhile!

mmmmmm......  Nike Firefly at £300 to save 5 sec/mile??  Don't think so!!
  • Options
    That's encouraging, TS!

Weather sounds better than here: came to Ibiza for a few days of sun; instead it has rained for a fair part of the time. Locals even taking photos of streets that became rivers. Back tomorrow: dare say it will be hot when I depart. Short run plus gym work each morning. Gently does it. Buffet breakfasts are not a good idea though.
  • Options
    You are so right Torque I did need some Welsh Luck!

Safely back home again a long day travelling left 8.30am home 7pm but I ran on the island just 6miles each day and each run got faster tothe point I wanted to go home and bimble around the hills as it was wearing me out I started 10.20 average pace,10.02 average pace to finish at 9.35 average pace.I could not extend run as calf not happy  it settles down but afraid to push it.

6 miles this morning at a bimble pace hopefully I can build on the calf getting better.

Nope at those price's I will be happy to not get 5 secs faster per mile :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    saw the weather on the news :/
    Sounds a nice break despite that.  When we were in Madeira the pastry chef would bring out a freshly baked batch of  warm Pasteis de Nata each morning just for me after I said on the first day how nice they were - so I had to eat them didn't I?

Welshpoppy
    that was a long drive home and some good progressions on your runs despite being restricted by your calf

I am off to the Lakes for a couple of days - back to our favourite hotel - Sharrow Bay on Ullswater.
    The forecast is for snow on Friday!!!!
  • Options
    I seem to have put on several pounds and have had great difficulty moving since my return :/ !!

I even had a little walk in the midst of my 4 miles this morning on a lovely clear frosty morning

However the rugby got me out of my chair - well the England v NZ game did at any rate, pity about the Welsh result but they just ran out of suitable substitutes in an arm wrestling sort of game
  • Options
    Managed to get to LFoM last week but decided that caution was in order and whilst I ran it was just pacing a M66 friend. I did just over 28 minutes, and he was just over 29. Doesn't sound like a very good pacing job but I left him with just over 500 to go and managed to take over a minute out of him! Enjoyable pints afterwards and will be toeing the line again at November's edition. The day was dampened rather by Euston being closed on the way back, having to return via Sheffield (and did shout hello, Birch), taking six hours instead of two! Meant I missed Leicester's glorious 9-0 win, i.e. NINE.

Enjoyed England's win on Saturday, but didn't find the Wales/SA match particularly entertaining. 

Officiated at Uni relays on Saturday pm: surprised no-one drowned! Have never seen that course as wet. My 47th consecutive visit to the event!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sorry I missed you, alehouse !  

TS - I'm sure the extra bit of timber will soon recede (maybe just sandwich & beer after the hash, rather than chips, sandwich & beer) ;)  

no running last week, until yesterday, when I managed to accumulate 13 miles in chunks (over about 3 hours ) whilst supporting clubmates at the Worksop Half Marathon . .   
  • Options
    I know about pounds Torque I feel like a fattened calf as not run since Friday Virus version 3 which has left me weak but have managed to walk yesterday 3 miles so a start.

Rugby..........not a good game on Sunday but we do well for a small nation :( England played well  against NZ.

Dave: Great running after a week off and hope all mates did well at Half Marathon.

Ale: Sounds promising with come back?

Dewi Griffiths has been out 4+ months mystery illness and had his first run  just 30 minutes on his comeback lets hope he makes full recovery and will be in Japan next year.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    easy does it, WP (fingers x'd for Dewi, too) 

thanks - best result was my friend, whom I've been "advising" - she reduced her PB from over 2:15 to 2:09, so she was very happy . . .   

7.5 fartlek with chum yesterday morn;  light weights at gym p.m.
    4.5 easy today 

Dave
  • Options
    alehouse
    busy few days there - well done on TLFOM - and a nice sprint finish :)

Dave
    well that's one way to run a MH :)

Welshpoppy
    walking is a good start. Nice to know I have weight company.............
    yup - pity about the Welsh result. It would have been good to have two home nations in the final.

I followed Dave's advice after the 4.5 mile Hash - only beer and sandwiches - which I needed for recovery purposes.
    I had spent much of the morning teaching my g'son how to kick a rugby ball with  both feet which left me with extremely sore knees and backside!!  whilst the muscle memory of how to do is was still there the muscles weren't :)
    NO run today.............

• Options
    Dave:Great news on your friend at the half must be the guidance you provided:)

Great training and going to gym ooh get you;)

Torque:That is a great start with beer and sandwiches :) It just shows different sports use different muscles maybe you need to practise your kicking on weekly basis :)

I have started running Tuesday 3.3 miles, Wednesday 6.12 miles let the comeback begin just winter training for me I may enter a half locally in February only 25% places left so better make mind up soon.Would be good focus for the winter.It starts from Parc y Scarlets ground :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    finally recovered from the disappointment of the rugby results :/

....but not from my own rugby proceedings!!  Knee is still playing up and I am reminded that I stopped playing after severe ligament damage which took nearly 10 years to repair.

Anyway something to brighten up this dismal day  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/nov/04/any-amount-of-running-reduces-risk-of-early-death-study-finds

keep on running :)

• Options
    just come back in - what a terrible day/night out there now.

Quite different this morning - sunshine and a light frost made me glad of tights on for a change as I did 4 miles in 39 min.
    That followed 4.4 brisk miles around Ripon last evening on a fine cold night.  whole of the town centre, parks , cathedral etc are swathed in knitted poppies - very atmpsopheric under a bright half moon
  • Options
    I know the rugby result was bad (for most of us anyway!) but has it driven everyone into hibernation?

I might be thinking of that myself as I squelched along this morning in pouring rain with autumn leaves underfoot churned up into a gooey mess that hid deep puddles for my 4 miles of character building running in 40:20.

Sitting supping a hot choccie now makes me feel quite smug that I was out there :)
  • Options
    Sorry Torque I meant to post but it has been busy here Mr WP had a 60th Birthday on Tuesday.

I have been struggling with fatigue from virus last week 15 miles run.This week I only have energy for every other day so 6 miles Sunday, Tuesday 6 miles and today 8 miles I thought well if I can not run every day I better make it a good one and second fastest for route.It was crisp and dry 2 degree's and I felt lucky to be out and have the energy for it.Last 8 miler was 1st October!

I so understand the smugness you felt :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    after no running Sat - Tues (my occasional gloom made an appearance) - enjoyed the TS - esque smugness last evening - finally making myself go out at 7:30pm, and really enjoying a 5 miler in the drizzle along well-lit pavement.  Felt good to lounge on sofa post bath & food :)  

well done , WS, for getting a fair amount done post virus, and to be so speedy !   

intend going out today; but currently my area is bang under the unmoving bright green blob on the BBC weather map !!  got a soaking just covering the 50 metres from carpark to supermarket entrance and back this morn  . . . .    

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ps - belated Happy Birthday to Mr WP  :)   
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    that doesn't look as though you have a virus lingering - well done
    Congrats to Mr WP

Dave
    you did well to get out of the supermarket car park if the flood pictures are to be believed!!

Nice to see you both enjoying some of my post run smugness :)

After it lashing down all day yesterday I walked home in the late evening after a fairly boozy meet up with friends in dry, cold conditions and this morning kept it going but with sunshine to boot!!

Another 4 miles in 38:55 (9:45m/m) with avHR 132 and a max of only 143 which was quite pleasing in my small scale of current achievements.
    I know the week so far only adds up to 16 miles over the 4 consecutive days, which is a bit less than Dave finds himself accidentally running at times, but given how carp I felt last Sunday and Monday is ok.

Flu jab tomorrow may derail progress...................

As I drove back in just now the rain which had just returned was turning to sleet on the windscreen ......... :/
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good work, TS - both the running and the imbibing :)  

didn't get out yesterday - I'll choose to think myself wise (unusually), and not soft - the rain & flooding (as you allude, TS) really was at almost unprecedented levels.  

4 miles "mini-fartlek" today, so on 9 for the week - lagging behind you, TS . . .   

Dave
  • Options
    Torque: Well done on such a great week and 16 miles is not to be sniffed at.Watch out at surgery for bugs and hope Flu jab does not derail you for long.

Dave:Good call to stay home on the verywet weather! good work on the mini fartlek.

Last week 15 miles for me this week I am looking at double will depend what i do today.Yesterday 4 miles so that was a breakthrough as first time two runs back to back and i plan going out today.RHR starting to lower still 7 beats up but better than 10+ it was at.There is a race Sunday only heard of it Yesterday enter on the day 10k a clubs 25th anniversary so thinking of going.It is one of my cheap as chips hilly races and found another on NYE morning 10 miles with coffee and biscuit and free bowl of soup at pub and a buff bargain at £12 :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Dave
    I think a wet suit may have been needed yesterday for you - Mr Sensible hat for you
    Getting worried - Bruce appears to be doing a good job - it must all fall apart soon!!

Welshpoppy
    That sounds like  excellent races and it will put some funds into a club instead of big race organisers pockets
    Not sure I could take soup after 10 miles though
    Well done on your back to backs - it takes a bit of time to get over these bugs

Well the flu jab clinic was fine - they were having a coffee and cake morning as well in support of McMillan nurses so we had to imbibe. It was quite the jolliest doctor's surgery I had been to!!
    The cake sustained me whilst I did another round of leaf clean up in the garden.Normally the wind blows them into someone else's but there has been no wind here at all so the leaves have just fallen and stayed put!
    All day session and my legs felt it this morning along with my back and arms as I gingerly eased into my running but was pleased to manage 5.2 miles in 50:13 (9:47m/m) again keeping my avHR to only 132 bpm and a max of 143.
    So rounded my week up to 21.4 miles - big deal :)

I now have three very large rubble bags filled with leaves to take to the tip............

Where is Ray as well - another missing form here?
  • Options
    ...forgot to say it was a crisp, frosty morning here - brilliant sunshine which was so bright that running into the rising sun, with the added effect of sunlight bouncing off the pavement, meant I couldn't see a thing for the first half mile!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - good comeback running - did you do the race today ?  

TS - Bruce - not popular round here, but Monk is doing ok as his replacement - though the last 2 weeks been disappointing; taking the lead in the 83rd min last week but still losing, yesterday going ahead in 90+1, then conceding in 90+4 !!!  

sounds a tough day's work in the garden - but fine outing this morn, and a good total.
    6 miles (fartlek again) here, in the lovely bright & crisp morn, to complete the week on 15.   Will aim for more in the coming week(s).  

Dave