Thursday 31st October 2019 - I was working in the lab late one night,

Morning.

Lyrics - I was working in the lab late one night,

Predictable lyrics I'm afraid:-)

Great news emzap. I'm sure all that walking will have helped. I'm a great believer in walking when you can't/as a supplement to running.

chamolk - you'd be surprised what you can adjust to. When I first started out running marathons I'd break if I tried to run more than about 35 miles a week whereas I can now comfortably string together several 100 mile weeks. Building up slowly, staying consistent and listening to your body are the keys - and no speed work for me. I also find that more maintenance is required, not just the foam roller etc but in hard training I feel I really benefit from a good sports massage every four weeks. Mind you finding the time as a GP and father of three could be your biggest challenge though I'm a great believer that we make the time for things we want to do. Have you decided on a spring marathon?

Can't believe it's the last day of October already though I will be pleased when this year is over. Though there's no guarantee that next year will be better I really hope it can't be as bad as this one has been. Shouldn't wish my life away I know (especially at my age!). I'm feeling guilty about not making it to the gym this week but it's going to be stressful to fit it in now and I don't want to tweak anything before travelling so I'm trying to get my head round it and let myself off the hook.

What:           short and easy
Why:            still technically recovering
Last hard:    not being OCD about the gym
Last rest:     26/10
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: short walk
    Why: busy day
    Last hard: getting up this morning
    Lyrics: nope

Feel ok after my run yesterday so will do the same session tomorrow probably. Have to time walk carefully as it's Halloween and our estate is a tourist attraction for everyone around (we hide inside!).

Lmh don't beat yourself up about the gym. Better for your shoulder to recover properly. Where are you travelling to?

Chamolk ditto lmh it's impressive training time for a GP with 3 children!  

Wabo Cleo is amazing! How are your oh and family?

Dustin, I've been thinking of you as I make cake and biscuits for Saturday (where Lucas allows!) I got 3 of 20 iced yesterday, so I think we may have a rustic mix

Have a great day
  • Florida emzap. What are you baking for?
  • Morning!

Quick post from work

Lyrics: of course, and appropriate of course

What: fitness suite and short run

Why: Thursday/running away from monsters, witches etc
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Emz - good news with the return to training, and better news with the baking! Feel free to send leftovers this way....
    Chick - thanks for the sample. I will probably get hold of the book - always good to look at a variety of plans for ultras. 
    Chamolk - It's possible to string together some big weeks for marathons but in reality it's impossible to create time: something has to give: work/friends/family.
    I think I once hit 80 miles, LmH is right that you can make time but it depends what you can drop. Work (& commute) takes up a minimum of 12 hours/day for me Mon-Fri, so I struggle with the midweek long run. That said I have done 4 pre work, 7 lunchtime and 5 in the evening before now. Not easy and you get through a LOAD of kit.....but believe me it takes a will of steel to get up at 4am to knock out a few miles when you know you're running at lunchtime and again in the evening...
    It's possible once or twice in a schedule, but for the marginal gain, I'm not convinced it's worth the longer term sacrifice!
    This I think is the reason I barely target 1 marathon a year: commit for 18 weeks then cut back.

What - hopefully a short run & U11 coaching, hospital appointment dependent
    Why - having an eye scan, appointment this afternoon. At my last eye test they noticed something on my optic nerve so this is a precautionary check...vision seems OK. Running depends on how late I'm seen and if they give me eyedrops which affects driving...
    Last rest - 12 days
    Last hard - Sunday

• chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    LMH - 100 mile weeks seem impossible to me currently, but we'll see how it goes. Spring marathon will be Paris (though after entering it I also got my first ever ballot place in London, but I am planning on deferring that until 2021 I think).

You're both right about finding time for running, it can be hard to fit it in. That was one of my main issues training for London this year. I managed to reduce my workload a bit over the last few months which has helped give me more time. Stretching and strength workouts tend to be done in the evening after everyone else is asleep.

What - easy run. Want to get back to the rowing machine too, if I have time soon
    Why - recovery period

Lyrics - yes, my boys love this one
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Dustin - that sounds pretty determined. I know I'm awful at getting up early to do anything, so I never really plan to do it - something I've been rather jealous of others for being able to do.
    I tried a double a while ago and found it tough, dunno about trying 3 runs in one day. I've been able to get a bit of a longer mid week run recently, after I joined the running club simply by running to the club, doing the session, then running home - can be tough after a hard track session though.

After London I was able to increase miles simply by running more days each week. Now I'll either need to do more runs let day, or increase the miles each run. 5 runs a week had been working ok for me, 6 was OK for a week or two if easier runs, 7 days just seemed a bit much.

• Another GP here (albeit semi-retired) 
    Totally endorse your words on driving post Caesarian, Chamolk.

Short leg loosener run shortly.
    After dark swim around wreck.
    All day travelling tomorrow and Halloween today.
    Last hard Sunday.
    Lyrics presumably Halloween related but no
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    chamolk - with the midweek long, I mean the steady, endurance building type. 
    My clubs main training session is Tuesday, so that will often be 10+ miles with warm ups, cool down and say 3 x 2mile thresholds.
    The midweek , slower, long run I usually try to do Wednesday, being 10-16 miles. 
    I can probably squeeze in 10 at (long) lunchtime, but the 16 I'd have to do in the evening, so either 7-9 or if I choose to eat first, 8-10. Possible yes, but not easy, hence the frequent doubles.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say yesterday's lyrics were Lay lady lay Bob Dylan.

Oh and chamolk yes I could have driven much earlier if you take the " can you do an emergency stop" approach...silly insurance!

Those are some serious miles!

Lmh birthday baking. Having people over on Saturday.
  • You shouldn't be the one baking for your birthday emzap!

Hope the scan shows nothing to worry about Dustin.

chamolk - sorry, I think you'd said about Paris before - my memory isn't great. Early mornings get easier the more you do I find and if you can comfortably run five or six days a week you could do the miles especially as the days get longer, you only need two 'sessions' a week marathon training - the long run and the medium long run, if you can manage one speed session (if you can do them) along with those all the better, the other two runs should just be as easy as an easy thing.

Enjoy the swim OH.

How are the niggles Alehouse?
  • Ale: Garmin wise I would wait if you can for Black Friday Amazon will have Garmins reduced .I bought my 735xt on an Amazon deal in July and I love it so much better than the 230/235.It has most of features as 310xt plus new ones.

Awoke to find myself with sneezing, sore throat, runny nose, tiredness so opted to play it safe......it better be the last gasp from the virus as last day of October!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics yes!!
    Oh poppy no!! Hope it goes quick
    emzap happy baking and have a lovely birthday.  OH and fam are not too bad, he passed an exam tuesd, 82% and said he would definitely fail
    Chamolk I like doubles, i always find the second one a bit easier, not sure why.  Happy easy run to you
    dustin hope the eye is ok - my goodness you do long days!! Amazing how you fit it in! 
    alehouse enjoy the fs and run
    What: 2 miles d& d am
    why: talking of witches, I am accompanying little witches and my daughter later (not a fan tbh)
    last hard: this am
    last rest: 31/12/16

I am not mad for halloween but the kids love it

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WP: daughter has 735xt! She loves it but not sure that I need all the features...and certainly not the recommended retail price! Argos have the 235 on sale for £149.99 at present, plus I think I can get another 5% off through work.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Hmm - cake and biscuits emzap - I would like to join the queue for leftovers.  Well done on your first run-walk. 

Thanks for the training plan sample chicksta.  Mixing up your plan to suit you and the weather is a good idea.  I would just keep an eye on not doing too many hard days in a row.

Forget the gym this week LMH - plenty of time for that when you get back from holidays.

Long working days Dustin - really must be hard to get the training in - respect.. Hope the eye scan goes ok.

Travel well OH.

Oh no - not ill again WP. 

Well done to your OH on his exams Wabo.

You took a huge chunk off your PB to get close to a 3:30 chamolk so pretty sure there is room for improvement there yet.  I did a 3:34 in my first and took 4 attempts to better it.  Somehow jealous of those who can initially take such large amounts off their PBs.  (should have run slower I guess!).

Is there a bah humbug equivalent for Halloween? (sorry to any fans.. - not such a huge event here thank goodness).

Good points regarding squeezing in the training and mileage.  I will be increasing my working hours as of next week and am already a bit worried about fitting everything in.  Need to organize myself properly I suppose and I shouldn't complain as a) more money and b) won't be near Dustin's days.

Plans for spring:  marathon (potentially a PB attempt), then early June my local 56k.  I need to find an appropriate marathon yet.

What: 6 recovery miles once I have got the soup on
    Why: easy miles post race and I need to get out
    Last rest: yesterday

Lyrics: squeezes eyes tight and thinks hard - still a no.
  • Ale; I only paid £145 for the 735XT that is why I suggested waiting if you can unless, you are happy with a 235....

Wabo;nor me I shall not be answering the door if it rings.....not that it has past 5 years.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • But you have the Böörg (exploding snowman) instead, HazelnutCH.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wp I am always out on this night.  I do want to see Lyla as a witch though! Don't like the whole idea of it one bit.
  • Bah humbug here too to this Halloween nonsense. Do we really have to adopt every crazy shit that comes from the States?

Exploding snowman sounds great :D 

I've reduced my work days to 4 instead of 5 at the beginning of the year but I still couldn't fit 100 mile weeks in unless I got up at 2am on my school days. Work is notoriously unpredictable so I have to do my running before heading to the office.

You ran a superb first marathon, Hazel. 3:34 is impressive. My debut was 4:07  so much easier to take chunks off. It took me 4 years to dip under 3:30 though.

Hope the scan is ok, Dustin.

Great you managed to run a little, em.

Oh no, Poppy. That's one annoying bug you picked up :(

Only 2 months to go, LMH and 2019 will be history. How long will you stay in Florida?

What: 6 miles and guys xt was gardening
    Why: is autumn and leaves are everywhere 🙄 as much as I love it trees I could do without the ton of leaves on the ground.
    Last hard: my back hurts from bending and stooping
    Last rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: yes and I should have known yesterday's
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I was going to say that I though Florida was in November lmh, then I realised it is November tomorrow...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    emzap I missed  that you had a run, woo hoo!!
    I could never ever do the miles some of you do. Hitting 30 a week has to be the max for me, just too much other stuff and work hours doesn't allow
    My first marathon was 6+ hours, took a few years to get to my best of 4.11.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    chick I feel your pain with the back
  • We don't do trick or treat here either. I don't agree with it.

Can't believe you are ill again Poppy.

I must admit I don't do much other than work, family and run Wabo - but then I can't think of much else I'd rather be spending my time doing. Good to hear that your OH is doing better.

Gardening is dangerous chicksta:-) We are away for two weeks.

You sound happy that you are increasing your work hours Hazel - I can't wait to further decrease mine!

Are you off early tomorrow OH?
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    We've celebrated Halloween for a long time in Ireland. We don't do anything for guy fawkes night here. The traditional activities of bobbing for apples and dressing up as spirits and going door to door for food go back to the celtic festival of Samhain, which goes back as far as the Neolithic period.

A lantern made from a turnip, bobbing for apples /apples hanging on a string, eating nuts, 20p in an apple tart were all things we did when I was growing up. It was a lot cheaper and low key then. It's only all the tat that gets sold in the shops that has come from America along with pumpkins.

I'll be taking my 3 boys out later tonight. They are looking forward to the sweets, but I like continuing the old pagan traditions that have been happening here for 5000 years or more. After all, tonight the gap between this world and the Otherworld is easier to cross, and the aos sí can enter this world - by dressing up, the spirits will think we are spirits also, and leave us alone. 

Oíche Shamhna shona daoibh