Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The Bus said:
    Wish mine was - hurts when I walk on it, but not when I run - weird!

Talking of weird, oddest thing ever this morning...

Yesterday I left a clean shirt in the shower room at work as I was running in today.  As I always do, I look it off t-shirt style and left it hanging with all the buttons done up (saves time!).  This morning, I got out of the shower and went to put the shirt on. I couldn't do the buttons and it was undone. Weird I thought, why is it inside out?

It wasn't - some psychopath had ripped all the buttons off!!!! Now, I don't know whether they just don't like me (eminently possible!), have some objection to clothes being left in the shower room, or have some weird psychotic hatred of shirts being left done up, but either way it was very odd and not just a little disturbing! 

Luckily I had a spare shirt!  All my clothes are now safely locked away in my locker! Bit of a pain in the arse though, as the locker is quite a way from the showers and clothes end up crumpled. There is lso nowhere else to leave towels, wet running kit etc...

Hey ho - nowt as queer as folk!
    Sounds like you have a koumpounophobic* in your midst and he used your shirt to confront his irrational fear.
    * Apparently, 1 in 75,000 of people have the condition and Steve Jobs was a celebrity sufferer.
  • The Bus said:
    Wish mine was - hurts when I walk on it, but not when I run - weird!

Talking of weird, oddest thing ever this morning...

Yesterday I left a clean shirt in the shower room at work as I was running in today.  As I always do, I look it off t-shirt style and left it hanging with all the buttons done up (saves time!).  This morning, I got out of the shower and went to put the shirt on. I couldn't do the buttons and it was undone. Weird I thought, why is it inside out?

It wasn't - some psychopath had ripped all the buttons off!!!! Now, I don't know whether they just don't like me (eminently possible!), have some objection to clothes being left in the shower room, or have some weird psychotic hatred of shirts being left done up, but either way it was very odd and not just a little disturbing! 

Luckily I had a spare shirt!  All my clothes are now safely locked away in my locker! Bit of a pain in the arse though, as the locker is quite a way from the showers and clothes end up crumpled. There is lso nowhere else to leave towels, wet running kit etc...

Hey ho - nowt as queer as folk!

What sort of shirt? If it was a white shirt and easy to confuse it is entirely plausible someone else got mixed up and tried to put it on and ripped the buttons off hulk style.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Some 18 stoner accidentally putting the lithe Bus's shirt on type job?
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    That’s so odd! Maybe suggest having some taller lockers installed so you can hang stuff in them? 
  • More interesting stuff happening to you Bus- not dog related for a change!

Training went OK last night, as expected the weather was terrible - sideways driving drizzle and quite chilly. It was 8 x 1k, thankfully no ridge of doom. Started on 3.20's and got them down to 3.17's, underfoot was getting a bit muddy too, so don't seem to have lost too much fitness.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Patrolling strava a bit, noticed a chap very disappointed with his Marlow 7 race.

Looked back, and on Thursday evening, he did 3miles worth at 5.40 pace!!

Tuesday (2 days after the race), doing 5x1mile reps.

What can you say!
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    That's decent pace in those conditions SC - track session for me and I struggled a bit but probably had a bit of the weekend's race still in the legs too. 

What was his time/expected time SG? Don't tell me his 'easy' runs are all 6:xx m/m too?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    He's not too bad on those, like a lot of us, we "could" do them quicker, but if it's not harming recovery no hassle..

No, it's the constantly doing hard sessions just before races, doing hard sessions just after races, constantly talking of tired legs, yet then moaning at underperforming. I just don't get it.

He tempoed quicker on the same 7 mile course 2 weeks or so ago, then sundays race!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps just as an aside... not a lot of people know that there's a hidden "Online now" page on this website...

So just a hello to you lurking, seen you there a couple of times recently...you know who you are ;)
  • Ynnec - funnily enough I'd never heard of button phobia being a thing until yesterday, then two people said that might be it. We came to the conclusion though, that a button phobic would be the last person to suspect of ripping them off and then picking them all up!!!

White with blue stripes Philip - highly unlikely someone else by mistake, as it was the only one there!

Iower - you've no met anyone in our facilities team I presume :smiley: Sensible ideas don't get a look in!

Simon - it might have been a dog who has harboured a long standing grudge :smile:  I'm certain it wasn't that dwarf though, as it was hung off a tall shower cubicle! (v.nice reps by the way!).

Combined a site visit to Dorney with a tempo round the rowing lake today. On paper it seems perfect - acres of smooth, flat tarmac. Psychologically difficult though as you can see the whole 2k from one end to the other.  Anyway, 10k done in 41:58

• I'm assuming this ad at the top of the forum page isn't just targeting me (I bloody hope!) but either way, what on Earth IS this class?

• iower - race on Sunday yeah? Yes that's quite close. I can't really moan about the weather as it's the temperature and conditions I work best in bizarrely. The body just seems to click in...loves it! 7/8 degrees and drizzle..

Bus - I've ran at Holme Peirpoint too in Nottm. Exactly the same, like a runway of water. Does your head in.

• ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Yea 10k of running at around threshold pace I guess (plus the bike in between) - always happy to accept that sort of feeling in the days following as it means I've actually done something! I generally knock off some volume/pace from the usual sessions after a race. I wouldn't be fitting something in a few days before though and certainly wouldn't be moaning about lack of improvement when cramming so much around races! 

I don't mind that sort of weather, suits me too, I just need xc spikes in the mud otherwise I can't get the pace down!

I did a triathlon at Dorney once - think it was 8 laps of the lake for the bike and two out and backs for the run! Snore fest!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus, there's a couple of little lifts over little bridges too, and you'll be lucky to not get at least one side in wind!

Iower, having a strava chat with the lad, his explanations are sort of sound, but all a bit mixed up.
    Stuff like doing threshold, and above race pace work etc. Yes, they are key components, but not at the times he does them. I will try and bypass it though, as it's the same debate every time.

And as all i'm doing right now is 5miles or so morning, and 3.5miles lunch/afternoon, which has zero genius to it, I'll shut up :D 

Potential for an Endure return next year.
    Last year if you remember we had a real battle with a local club, and they brought their 8th runner in fresh with about 90mins of the whole event to go! In the rules and that, and they'd obvs made do with 7 until then, but did feel a little on the "Not in the spirit of the event" sort of folder.
  • I'm another one that loves running in the Autumn. Lining myself up for a decent race schedule come end of November through December into early January, before hitting spring marathon training.

That's a good session Bus - I'd be proud of that. Lunchtime 10ks in the realm of 40 mins always seem to hit the spot. Nope, I don't see that ad !

On Strava I see a lad that I beat regularly in races (by a fair margin) knocking out recovery runs around 6.30 min/mile ! I do find it odd as that's hard work for me amongst my general volume. But chatting to him he just doesn't feel like he can go slower. That's youth for you.

Just been recovering my legs this week so far, with easy running post 10k race. I didn't feel that beat up by it but have the feeling that any harder work would not be absorbed too well at the moment. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can remember Moz near the start of the thread being firm on this sort of thing
    "I don't wanna hear that you can't run slower" :D  

Unless that kid is only doing 25-30miles a week or something that is sharp, presuming he's a 36/37min 10k, 1hr 18-20 sort of half guy? (as an estimate from your description?)
  • I never buy in to this can't run slower nonsense. People just not being able to control their ego's. I'm regually running around 5 min kms/8 min miles and I still think I could/should run my easy runs slower. 

If it's good enough for the pro's, it's good enough for me. 
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Yea I struggle to believe it when people say that - It's not youth it's internet ego! :D I have a recurring conversation with someone from my running club about them trying to run 90-100 miles a week for no apparent reason that I can determine (they don't even race AFAIK).

I've found it quite refreshing building miles at actual easy pace - keeping it below a certain heart rate with an alert on the watch. You can properly switch the brain off for a while!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I get the "re-assurance" factor.

But if you can't race a half marathon a min a mile quicker than you're claiming "easy" pace at, then chances are you're doing 1 of the 2 things wrong.

When I first started the Moz training, he limited my easy stuff to no quicker than 7.20. I'd obvs got into the habit of medium harding all of my runs as 7.20 felt sooooo slow I thought people would stare and wonder what I was doing!

It's never felt slow again since those days.

It's easier running slower than faster of course. Until you get to a certain pace, then it actually is hard to run that slow and becomes more a case of having to stop start. Marlow socials were like that.

I can still remember a lil fella telling us lot off at the front for running "too fast", which must have been high 8s or something!

At the start of 2018 I was going great guns, and 15milers were averaging just under 7 min miling, without trying to push, with quality sessions coming out decently too.
    That resulted in my 3rd fastest half in 27, about 8 seconds off the 2nd best one.
    In that circumstance, I didn't feel any need to slow that natural pace down.

On the recovery trail now I can feel I'm well off it, as most runs were 7.30s and probably feeling less swish than the sub 7s.
    7.20 today though, with the heady heights of 2x7.07 to finish!
  • Stevie G said:
    I can remember Moz near the start of the thread being firm on this sort of thing

Unless that kid is only doing 25-30miles a week or something that is sharp, presuming he's a 36/37min 10k, 1hr 18-20 sort of half guy? (as an estimate from your description?)
    Yeah 1.22 half, 17.45-18 for 5k, 37 for 10k but yeah in the realm of 30 mpw which goes up to 40 mpw for marathon ( 3.02 )
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Yeah 1.22 half, 17.45-18 for 5k, 37 for 10k but yeah in the realm of 30 mpw which goes up to 40 mpw for marathon ( 3.02 )
    Yeah there's probably a bit more license to go a bit quicker when doing "lowish" mileage I suppose.

If i was trying to do 6.30 pace for 55 miles a week, with 10 miles of quality, I think that would very quickly be found out, even at quicker race paces than him!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Delurking 

SG - I see you've been unwell for a while, just wondering if you and/or Reg (if he's still around here) are going to make an appearance at TVXC on Sunday? I might have to join the Bracknell Endure team for next year.

Seen the discussion about running fast recoveries. When I was 16/17 I'd run nearly all my easy runs around 6:30 pace. I was mostly running alone, so wasn't racing anyone and the internet wasn't even invented back then. No GPS either so I'd do all runs by feel. It was just a pace I enjoyed. Felt like I'd get in a good rhythm without pushing. I could do that pace straight out the door too. I was probably doing about 30-40mpw at the time. Even though I can run a slightly faster HM now there is no way I could do an easy run that fast, and I definitely need a much slower mile or so to get going nowadays. I'd like to think I was more sensible than your mate about racing though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    HA- fraid not old son. I'm not hero at XC at the best of times, so without having done a mile sub 7 for 8 weeks now, I just wouldn't dare. I wouldn't make the scoring 6 without any shadow of doubt, let alone repeat my once ever victory over your bad self ;)

Endure isn't a deffo for us. It's certainly a challenge to try and arrange something a year away.
    And the downside last year was it hijacked the summer, when generally you're wanting to do loads of short stuff. And probably took about 3 weeks to recover after!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, storming finish by you that day. Hope you're back to full fitness soon. Might see you as some of the fixtures in the new year.
  • Interesting stuff on the long run pacing. Feeling OK and on a flat route, I'm always around 6.50-7.10 miling depending on the weather and other unexplained factors (the unexpected great run after a few pints the night before, for example). When it gets hilly it goes down to 7.30's etc.

It must be a real effort for the top guys to do 8's, must be so easy...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly Simon, at the peak of my recovering from this vertigo, I think i was setting off on runs at 8ish, but even then it warmed up to 745s or so, and then recently 730s and under.

There has to be a line where it starts to have little benefit rather than habit or just to be doing something... although we probably all do a bit of that!

Sacked off the idea of a Wycombe up north / United combo (you were kind in not mentioning your boys last weekend - though United losing away is no massive surprise these days!)...

Instead looking forward to just a lazy sat doing jack all...
    With 5x6am wake ups, and 5 days of doubles, it can be very inviting, especially when it gets colder
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Threw a couple of fast short bits into the end of my lunch 3.5miler. Only a couple of hundred metres but was good to see some mid 5 pace there again.

But to recap the comeback

0-0-3-20-27-46 with a 51-53 this week depending on where in the 8-10 mix that comes out sunday.

Next week, I'll aim to stretch the mileage up towards 60, and put some proper strides in on a couple of runs. Maybe get one or 2 of the morning runs longer.

And hopefully the week after that back to some sort of light session, maybe just a 4mile steady part to a longer run.

• yes was pleased with last week, another clean sheet! Today at Newcastle will be tough. On way to xc. Going to rain all afternoon, no cover. Cosmic. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Good luck!

I hear there was a bizarre situation at the Marlow half.

Local runner from Burnham came 3rd, but was awarded 4th in the women's race.

It turns out the woman awarded the "win" was ill. She had picked her number & chip up, and was hanging about the finish and registered on the records! She'd gone home before the prize giving, so the error didn't come to light.

I was thinking through the logic and how this wouldn't be spotted...

The first question is how wouldn't the lead woman know she'd won it... well, there's a 7 miler on at the same time, so naturally there would have been women ahead of her, who she wouldn't necessarily have seen taking the diversion at 3/4miles where the split is.

Surely someone from the 100s of marshals or spectators would have shouted "1st lady"? Myself and Bus have experience of battling the 1st lady, and they get tonnes of shouts to that effect. Bloody annoying to be honest :D

Would the commentator not recognise the 1st lady? Maybe not, as with the 7miler on, there may have been loads of women finishing 7miles to complicate it. Different colour numbers but all a bit hectic by that point in the field. Probably explains why someone from the club didn't greet her upon finishing with the good news!

Now what doesn't make sense is the "ill" runner. You could see her picking the chip up to maybe test how it felt, and then deciding against it.

But surely she'd have to have gone through the start mats?

Maybe not.

Most races with chips are mat to mat, picking your precise time up.

I'm sure Marlow have in the past used gun to chip timing, meaning you don't quite get your exact time in the above version....but as we see from this, much more worryingly, it means you don't actually need to be on the start!

So all that can be explained, but the bit that seems to be the real twist of fate, is that the ill woman must have arrived at the finish line to watch, and thus been picked up on the chip, in what must have been a very short window of opportunity...

Estimate the actual winner did say 1.26-28 (hilly course)

So obviously anything over 1.26-1.28 wouldn't have triggered the win, while anything under about 1.20 would have stood out, bearing in mind the winning bloke was only in the 1hr 18s1

What a carry on!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ok that analysis was obvs too hard to follow, so this is easier..

10miles, 7.33 pace.

First double digits run for 2months, 53.5mile week.

55-60 hopefully this week, stretch a run or 2 a bit further and aim to get some strides in

That should be another gentle step back