My Last Run

Comments

• Maltese, unfortunately most GPs don't know shit about sports injuries. Unless you get one who has an interest in sports, they almost always prescribe pain killers and rest. Their job is to get through as many patients as possible so unless it's life-threatening, they'll get you out the door as fast as possible.
    Go see a sports physio, trust me.
  • Thanks all! Not one to be beaten I've got myself some trail shoes, figured that mixing in a bit of off road stuff would be useful whether I decide to carry on with XC races or not. Thanks too for the tips. I get that I need to avoid tensing up when running through mud but it's not easy when you're worried about falling in mud!

Agreed re: GPs - unfortunately they have limited time so need to focus on keeping people alive, and they know that prescribing rest is an easy way to make your pain go away, trouble is we don't want to rest!
  • Tuesday was: 
    DAY ONE OF MARATHON TRAINING! gulp..

5 and a bit mile tempo run at 8:20 pace. Right hip a bit niggly today, which is a little concerning, but I did race Sunday and tempo run Tuesday, so easy miles rest of the week.

Startled an Alsation, despite purposeful coughing, which went ape-shit and nearly towed it's owner down the pavement.

Made a Ugali, still boring.

Broke out my new pair of Freedom iso2, damn! They feel hard and bouncy compared to their predecessors with 450m on them, hope they break in soon. Feel super-firm under foot. 

Local half-maras are the on 17th and 24th Nov, I haven't decided which to do yet..

Good luck with the XC Huzzeh.  I fancy trying a bit of that, plenty down my way.

+1 for "don't bother with doctors", rest, ice and anti-inflammatories are all they'll advise. (Although often that's enough!).

Good running Malteser. I want to join my local club but typically, they train the two evenings I work.

Hi illofog! Nice 10k

Nice long run envruk, hope your half marathon goes great!

Bought some 3inch race shorts, (they seem very short) and some long sleeved tops for winter.

Good run JD, yes it's that time of year again, Seems to have rained torrentially and daily in Kent.

Great running as always Cal and Hazel.

• Seems you had a good outing with your new club Malteser. 

Enjoy the new shoes huzzer.

Good luck with your mara training LTT.  2 tough workouts and a race is quite a bit in one week.   Be careful with your niggles.  Like the combination of short shorts and long tops for the winter? 

8 and a half miles at general aerobic pace yesterday evening.  Had a dog incident myself as I waited too long to make an appropriate "there is someone approaching from behind" noise.  The owner was strong enough to prevent the dog leaping on me and I managed to calm it down from some quite impressive growling and teeth showing.  Nice chat for a couple of minutes - didn't mind the interruption. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Welcome ilofog,nice running.

Hazelnut,very wet and muddy over here too,my dogs love it though.

Malteser,agreed,GPs know diddly squat about sporting injuries.Nice hill reps as well.

When's your mara Linton? With your 3 inch racing shorts you'll have to grow a tache and get signed up with 118 118.

6.80 miles yesterday, fast hilly run mostly on quiet country roads,still in shorts and tshirt but my hands were cold.

10k trail race in Betws - y - Coed,Snowdonia, tomorrow.Weather conditions will be tough,snow showers and temps just above 0c,might wear my gloves!

• Linton - long time since I've heard anyone call a German Shepherd an Alsation. :D Does the ugali make you run like a Kenyan, eh? There's a guy in my club who always wears short shorts and gets a lot of good-natured teasing for it.

Hazelnut, I hate it when dogs bark at me - I am rather wary of dogs (I like dogs as a rule, but not aggressive ones or little yappy bastards).

JD, good luck with that, it'll be tough. I remember going there for a team building exercise in one of my jobs - was actually rather fun. Wasn't in winter, though!

Felt cold this morning. I went out in the fog and did 6 miles. I've been in the wars a bit - Wednesday evening I thought I broke a tooth but turns out it was a bit of white filling, so had to have that repaired yesterday, and I also seem to have an ingrowing toenail. Why, I don't know, it's not like I wear narrow shoes. Anyway, toenail didn't bother me on the run today and the achey foot wasn't too bad (although high hammy tendon is still grumpy). I used the Theragun on myself after and my whole left side is tight, especially the QL, so I'm guessing that's why my left foot is hurting. Good job I booked that massage.
    Just signed up for the Green Belt Relay next May - I've not done it before as I've done Liverpool Marathon the past three years. I am an introvert with strong hermit tendencies so it'll give me the chance to get to know my clubmates a bit better and be more social.
  • 7.6 miles @ 9:15 easy pace.  Hip niggly, hoping that's due to it being cold. I hope.

Hope your week improves Cal. My knowledge of dog breeds is shocking, I can only I.D. the obvious ones.  My endurance is definitely improving, not sure the Ugali is anything to do with it though!

Good luck with your race JD, sounds like it'll be testing.I wore gloves tonight. Must go to Snowdon again one day!

Nice run Hazlenut, there should have been a comma in that sentence! I need some trousers to go with the long sleeved top.  Good dog calming skills!

Have a nice weekend all.

• I think we all niggle a bit in the cold, Linton, and Christ it was cold this morning!

My parkrun today was Hilly Fields, which is rather well named. It's a mix of path, dirt trail and grass and I was glad I'd opted for trail shoes. I knew it wasn't going to be a fast one (I picked it for this reason - since I'm not yet back to form I thought I'd get one of the slowest ones out of the way) but I still quite enjoyed it. There's one pretty steep hill you have to do twice, which is on grass, and the second time up that I found it hard to get my breath so I had nothing for the finish. I ran 27:08 (would have liked to have got under 27, but hey ho, I am often over 27 on the tougher courses) and was 2nd in age group.
    Five more London runs left to do.
  • Hope your race went well JD. I holidayed in the area in summer 2018. Very nice.

Do you know your clubmate Joe S. Cal? He posts on diverse threads here and writes a good blog, there were some entries on there regarding the relay.  Well done on your parkrun. How many does London have? A few I imagine.

Get you regarding the trousers LTT :)

Latish 5 mile recovery in the dark yesterday and not long back from more GA miles with 2 x 5 x strides with a couple of minutes jog between. Also couldn't resist picking up a strava segment in the middle of my village.  Cross training over midday - chasing leaves around with a broom.
  • Yeah, I know Joe (and Katie) - he's a bit of a character. Great athlete. I know he's been down in the dumps a bit this year but seems to be on the way back up, which is good.
    I think London has 56 currently plus a few more that are not counted for the London region but are close enough (known by parkrun toursits as "London Plus"). I've done 61 different events and a few of those have been outside London but most inside.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice Parkrun Cal,it seemed like a tough course.

Love your alternative cross training Hazelnut,hope it wasn't windy!

Keep an eye on your hip Linton,you don't want that setting you back again.

Woke up about nine yesterday morning to very heavy snow,my first thoughts were hope I can get to the race.Had my porridge and bacon sandwich,fed the girls,got their sledges out and I was out of the house for 10:30,even though the race didn't start until 1 and I only live 25 miles from the venue.

The first 10 miles driving down the A5 wasn't good,got to the next town,Corwen and the snow was getting lighter,by the time I got to Betws y Coed it was perfect racing conditions and a balmy 4c.

The race started behind the village church and from the gun it was a 1.5 mile vomit inducing climb through the forest.Then we did a lap of Llyn Elsi which was fairly technical,narrow tracks,lots of rocks,deep mud,I managed keep on my feet round that part which I was happy about.

The last 3k was downhill mostly,where I could pick up some good speed.I had a great duel with a guy,he picked me off going up the hills,then I would catch him up.I went past him on the quick downhill but the gap was only about 10 metres and as we reached the last 1k we hit another hill where he caught and passed me again but this time I couldn't pass him and he beat me to finish line,with both of us sprinting to the line.I finished with a gun time of 48:18,37 seconds faster than 2017.

Chatting to the other runners after the race they all said what a great course it was,a proper trail race.The only disappointment is that I haven't been listed on the results,I emailed the organisers and they're going to get in touch with the timings company.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Just been on the betwstrail facebook page and I'm not the only one who didn't get an official result,bit disappointing to a great race.Plus runners saying they couldn't make it because of the snow,they turned round at Llangollen and headed home.
  • Sounds like an epic dual, JD - I hope you get your results sorted out. I've had a chip fail in a race before and the organisers sorted it out, albeit with my Garmin time (which is often a few seconds slower than the race time due to slow reaction time with the buttons).
    Not the most brilliant run today, although it was nice to have some Autumn sunshine finally (even if it was quite cold). As I'd done 10 last Sunday I thought I'd do 12 or 13 today. I thought I'd do the Wandle Trail to Morden Hall Park, but rather than go on from there to Wimbledon, as I do on my 20 milers, I'd do it as an out-and-back. Only thing was, when I got to the trail, it was a lot wetter than expected. The tarmac bits were OK but the trail bits were covered in puddles and very muddy at the edges. Then, when I got to the park, I realised most of the paths there are also dirt (as I've only run it in the summer, I wasn't really thinking about the surfaces). So I exited the park and tried to figure out how to make my way home via roads, using road signs and a vague sense of direction to navigate. At this point my glute/ham was grumbling a lot (maybe it didn't like Hilly Field's hills yesterday), and my legs felt heavy. I hit Tooting Common at around 10 miles so rather than run around it, I took the quickest path back to finish it at 11 miles.
    I guess I'm not as far along in my recovery from Yorkshire as I thought I was.
  • Finally reached meltdown with running directly from home.  I am just too bored of all available routes, so today it was a drive to Deal seafront. 

What a difference! Always something to look; at 3 castles, a pier, lots of Victorian buildings, lots of cold-looking fisherman, enough runners for an event, thousands of dogs of every race, colour and creed, a huge amount of gay couples? (Just an observation) fishing boats on the beach and ships out to sea..

"Borrowed" a pair of my other halfs leggings to wear under my shorts, (still no trousers!). Worked brilliantly! (The east wind off the sea was flipping arctic) Made sure to warm up slowly and put some slow miles in, hip was good today.  I think as a result of keeping it warm and very slow miles to start. Also started using Wintergreen on recommendation? Certainly happy today.

11.2 miles/ 1:48. /Miles between 7:30-11:00 minutes. Elevation -12 to 13 foot!! I didn't know such pancake-ness was possible!

That sounds an awesome bit of running JD, proper elevation! I've seen the weather you're having online, savage! Sounds you ran a great race,  bloody good time over that course! Sure you'll catch him next time!

That is an incredible amount of Parkruns Cal! and a cool thing to do.  How many runs have you done in total? Have you a T-shirt yet? After London will you carry on with surrounding counties? Or just visit your favourites!  Good weekend long run.

Went to visit my Dad this week, himself a 4 times London marathon runner around 1990 (with a solid PB of 3:25!) He worked for ADT when it was the sponsor, so it helped getting a place. He stopped running many years ago due to injury and general age, but found an ancient Ron Hill top in the loft that could be 30 years old! and gave it to me. I'm going to start wearing it to see if it brings good running with it.

• Well done JD that is a great time for a tough sounding course.  Hope they fix the results for you and the other runners affected.  I like the idea of a bacon and porridge sandwich.. :D   And snow?  None of that here yet.  

Maybe just a one-off down day Cal.  Good you could cut your run short rather than have to drag it out.

Must have been a lovely run LTT.  Any fish & chips..?  Shame your dad can't run any more but I love the idea of the old Ron Hill top being passed on.

11 miles for me today - finished off a 2 week recovery post HM with a first half slower, second half faster run.  Started the faster bit on a downhill stretch which was maybe cheating a bit but compensated with some nasty little undulations on roughish ground at the end.  Lovely afternoon for running, cool, sunny almost no wind.  The forecast was for thick fog all day so much appreciated. 
  • Linton, I'm on 103 now - 61 different locations.
    When I've exhausted the London ones (at least until they add more...which is likely) I'll do some of the more accessible outer ones, but I won't be able to afford to take trains every weekend so I'll also revisit some of my favourites (and try to beat the times!)
    Deal sounds lovely!

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Some great running, particularly JD and that wonderful/terrifying sounding course (not sure which). Fingers crossed they sort out your result. Oh and thanks for the downhill running tip, it's really paying off, especially as St Neots has a big downhill finish. 

LTT, good to see you back in the flow, but do listen to your body.

Nice parkrunning Cal, I haven't done one for ages now. Good mileage too.

Good effort Hazel, you are like a metronome!

Well done everyone else. Little to report here, apart from being underbaked for St. Neots. 

I had a beer and games weekend, not great prep but managed a 7k loop around Henham/Elsenham in Kent. First run where I've had to run over a pedestrian bridge because the lines were closed waiting for a train. 

• A better run today - rather cold so I was naturally a bit quicker and decided to take advantage of that. I did 7 miles total with 6 progression and a 1 mile cool-down. Went from easy down to just below MP. Felt some niggles but they weren't bad.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    A slow and short foundation run this morning, 5k in 30 mins. Enjoyed the cold, but apparently it will be 0-7c on Sunday for my half marathon in St. Neots. Still not sure what pace to go for.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Linton,good idea to run somewhere new,it keeps you interested.I used to have Ron Hill leggings from the early 90's,I looked ridiculous in them.

Nice run Hazelnut,sounds like a lovely run.Think my longest run since my mara has been just over 8 miles,so I'll have to be upping the mileage soon as I have a HM in January.

That's some locations Cal,I'm still on two but I might drive to Birkenhead Park this Saturday,apparently it's all tarmac path.Just means getting up early.

Beer and games weekend sounds fun enrvuk.

Received my official results from Saturday.Finished with a time of 48:13,finished 18 and age category 3,so I'm a happy chappy with the result.

• That's great news, JD. :D
  • Great running everyone! Love following this thread practically every day - helps keeps me motivated.

Ran 4 miles with the club yesterday over hills. Thought I'd be flagging towards the back nearer the 10min/mile pace but felt I could do better. Pushed on and averaged 8:48min/mile pace the whole way round and was able to keep up with and have a chat to the other runners. The niggle in my shin/ankle area wore off after the first mile but bloomin' heck it was freezing! Definitely need some more winter gear methinks, on top of the new trainers to create a rotation.
  • Great result JD, that's about what I run on relatively flat tarmac! Great result.
    Beer and games weekend sounds great enrvuk, did that on holiday, you've got to give it all a break sometimes. Nice foundation run.

Great running Cal, glad the niggles were OK, huge Parkrun portfolio!

5 miles tonight, 8/9 min miles. Waited for niggles after Sunday's long'un, but seem OK.  Saw one other jogger, who stopped at the Chinese to pick up a takeaway, good running.

My beginner's marathon plan is essentially 5 miles tuesday, 5 miles friday and a hefter on sunday.  I feel I can lengthen the tue/fri runs, but won't yet as I'm not going to know what's hit me soon!

There's a really fast local half this weekend. (My PB would have put me 145 out of 165 last year!) it's clearly flat, but Christ! it's ran by speedy folk. Undecided..
  • Great running people, and oh wow Cal, that's an amazing amount of parkrun locations!

10k Tuesday for me, except that I accidentally ran 11k.. I use strava on my phone and run in my local park which is 500m laps, so I tend to just count the laps as my phone sits in my running belt. Turns out I miscounted my laps, but as I was on 10.5 at that point I figured I might as well make it a round 11k!

On top of only ever having run 10k, what I'm most pleased about is that I ran the 11k in 62 min, which is faster than my fastest 10k. Tonight was a really good run, everything just felt right and kms 8-10 (as it turns out) were spot on, I picked up pace as well which usually I struggle with in the latter parts of my run.
  • Well done Malteser - I always run a bit quicker when it's cold.
    And well done ilofog. Do you have any races booked?
    Linton, see how you feel I guess? I always finish well down the field in clubby races. I'm not even that slow any more - I'm just not all that fast.
    10 miles this morning which seemed a lot longer than it was. Started under a big moon and finished in daylight. Massage later - got a few niggles that need sorting.
  • Great news JD.  Will you get a prize for your age cat 3rd?  I have good memories of stomping up and down some UK fells in Ron Hill leggings (early 90s).

I regularly get stuck at a level crossing with no footbridge option enrvuk.  Clothing might also be tricky for your HM if it is that cold. 

Good hilly run Malteser. 

Well done on your distance PB ilofog.  That is also a big improvement on your 10k time then!   

I would stick to the plan LTT.  I would give doing the half some consideration, if you run it all out then you will need recovery time which could impact your mara training.

Nice progression run Cal.

Just under 8 miles yesterday evening - did a couple on my own then joined 2 guys from my running group for the remainder.  We did a shortened route rather than the standard Tuesday one as one was suffering with his lungs a bit in the cold air and the other has PF issues by the sounds of things. 
  • Four and a bit miles yesterday at lunch.  As often when hungry and on a tight time budget I ran too fast.  Will probably notice that today when I should run faster.
  • Indeed, Cal, I reckon it's just natual wanting to warm up as quickly as possible when it's cold.

I do that too, Hazel! Run too quickly to beat the time and then regret it somewhat afterwards!

5 mile run with the club last night. Ran a bit too fast I reckon as I felt my technique go in the last mile, which was mostly uphill (all my runs start and end on a hill, from home and from the usual club meet location). It started to rain then, too, so I had to run and clear my glasses at the same time which isn't easy. 8:56min/mile though so alright with that - usually I'm happy with 10min/miles.

Club's doing a 9 mile run on Sunday and I'm tempted to join, but reckon the tempo is too quick for me over the distance and I've never run that far before. May do 7-8 miles by myself. Decisions decisions...
  • You need a cap, Malteser - that'll help with the rain issue.
    Hopefully some folks from your club will be running at your pace. I have an issue in that no one seems to run at my pace despite me not actually being that slow. After a couple of long club runs where I ended up on my own (and got lost!) I decided that I would do my own thing as, if I was going to run alone anyway, I could start and end at home and do them at the time I wanted (I prefer to go out early)>

7 miles this morning. Tweaked my knee yesterday, somehow (I went to the gym for the first time in ages, but didn't experience any issues there, so not sure if it was a delayed reaction or something that's tight pulling on it) but since it only twinges when my leg is locked, I decided to chance a run. It was OK. Arse still ached though - bloody hamstring.
  • Malteser - the number of times I have needed windscreen wipers for my glasses... Cap does help but if it is warm weather or if you are working hard then might get uncomfy.  Contacts?  I can't unfortunately.  I would probably give the 9 miler a miss if it is both longer and faster than you are used to do.   Could give you something to build up to (distance then speed).  You could also talk to those doing such runs on another occasion about maybe a shorter run or splitting a group so that you can join for a slower one?

Good the knee is ok to run on Cal. 

10 miles yesterday at dusk - first half slower, second half faster.  Pretty disciplined on the first half but hit the gas pedal a bit hard for the second half.  Ran loops which helped me to concentrate and hit an even pace at least.   Discovered on changing that I had no clean long trousers and had to go out in capris.  Wasn't as bad as I was expecting despite the 2 degrees.