Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, hoping I can get to the Nottingham one feeling good.  Obviously depends on weather conditions and other things, but if it's favourable and I'm feeling good the plan would be to try and get a 3:30 there.  That's the plan, so we'll see how it goes!
  • Very well paced, Big G.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Perfect progression marathon,very well done.
    Cal-Ouch to the dentist bill.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yesterday's marathon has given you your mojo back.  :)    Hope the hip is OK today.

mamafox - good luck tomorrow, hope you have a really enjoyable race, I'm posting this now as I know you'll be busy today.  I hope you'll have time to treat us to one of your epic race reports. 

10 miles today for me, very cold, feels like -2, so not my favourite kind of weather.   So nice to get back to my warm flat.   
  • Cold and very misty this morning - had to boot myself out of the door. Weather forecast said grey all day but now the sun is out, which I would have enjoyed if I'd postponed the run until later. Never mind, got 6 done. Toenail wasn't an issue while I was running, which is good. Foot not too bad either. I think my foot is acting up because my whole left side is grumbling - I went at it with my Theragun after and as well as the glute ache (from the hammy tendon), my QL was so tight it really hurt to massage. I don't know if it's sore from yoga or what - hopefully the masseur will figure it out (my usual guy is away so I'm seeing the one I saw last time, who is also a physio, which is handy - he gave me a few exercises last time).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    4-mile recovery run today, which although at an easy pace did feel a bit laboured, but hip was okay.  I have' t done recovery runs regularly for some time due to niggles, so nice to get one done.

I'm away in Sailsbury this weekend with university friends, and am hoping to get to parkrun on the Saturday which is just 0.5 miles from where we're staying.  We haven't all met up for ages (there's 6 of us) - I think it may be a shock to a couple of them that I no longer drink!
  • Have fun, Big G, and enjoy the parkrun. Good the hip is improving.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Big G - Great pacing.
    Ian - I think Manchester is a good pick for your wife's first marathon. I'll also be there!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good about the toe, that can be painful.   Hope you get these niggles sorted.   Are you still seeing Helen Hall too?

Big G - maybe those Cornish hills was the final cure for that hip.   It's a long time since you've been able to do a recovery run.
    Good luck explaining that you're now teetotal ;) 

Steve - hooray, we can put you back on the list, :)  it's been a while since you've done a marathon/ultra. 
  • Shades - May last year was my last ultra, but the last marathon I ran was October 2017!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’m hoping to be at Manchester too :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Great to see you'll be back,I'll have a busy time with the tracker that day chasing you all.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That'll be a good Shadies get together at Manchester then.

Ian - you will have to be on tracker duty as I'm at Taunton that day.   :)
  • Manchester party! However it's only 5 weeks after Tokyo so hoping I'm not sick again (or injured...)

I have a couple of things in my calender - I'm doing the 5K track race again next month - hopefully I'll have a bit of speed back by then - but I've also signed up for the Greenbelt Relay next May. It's a club relay around  London over two days and apparently fantastic fun. I've not done it before because it's always been too close to Liverpool, but since I'm not running that, I'm free to do other things. I think it'll be good for me. I'm extremely introverted (by that I don't mean shy - I'm certainly not that - but I have hermit tendencies and can go days without speaking to another person except online) so it'll give me chance to get to know some of my clubmates better.

Shades, I've not seen Helen for a few months but she's expensive so it may be a while before I see her again. She doesn't see many patients more than twice - I've been three times already. I guess there was a lot wrong with me. :D
  • Hi, I'm Zoe from Yorkshire. I've just got into running with my partner and I'm wanting to increase the speed and distance of my runs (like everyone else, right). So I'm on here to try and pick up some tips from the more experienced runners :)
  • Hi Zoe!

Big G - Those are fine splits, well done. Interesting article too.

Just a quick note from me, thanks for the good luck message Shades, have a bit of a pain  on the top of my foot (bit like the too tight lacing thing you had the other day Big G), will hope for the best there, but on a positive note we've got the Clio and I've got my lucky pants on.

Will update a bit later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I've heard of the Green Belt relay.  I guess you'll get to run more than once over the 2 days, if so that's good ultra training.

Re Helen Hall, I suppose there's only so much re biomechanics that we can work on and it can be a slow process.   We've all had decades to end up running and walking the way we each do, so change takes time.

Hi Zoe -welcome, hope you're enjoying your running.   How many times a week do you run and how far?  It can take a very long time to build up distance and speed as it needs to be done gradually so your body gets used to it and too much too soon can lead to injury.

mamafox - good luck, I'm so please you've got the Clio and your lucky pants ;) 

Just under 8 miles for me this morning, should have been 9 miles but had to shorten my route due to flooding.   There's a tiny little road that goes uphill for about half a mile and downhill for the rest and adds a mile to my usual route, the last place I thought would be flooded as I ran up the first part of the hill then it was flooded on a flat bit so didn't fancy running through that as it's bitterly cold here today.  Hate this cold weather :#
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-Have a great race and enjoy it.
    Decided to go along to parkrun today,didn't think I could run this weekend but managed 7.5miles.
    Started a bit fast as it's downhill and gradually got slower until the last km when I got into a race with someone behind me,managed to hold him off and finished in 19:33,nearly 30 secs behind my course best but happy with that 1 week after NYC.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck MF!

Welcome Zoe :)

I went along to Salisbury parkrun this morning, in what were cool conditions. I was in a shirt, shorts and gloves and was a bit cold before the start but once I got going I was fine. 

This is a 4-lapper on fairly narrow paths and a couple bridges to navigate, but it was a nice run out and everyone was very friendly. It took me a while to get going as legs were stiff but I did warm up and put a bit of effort in for the last mile or so, finishing in 23:34 on my watch.  So it was 4 miles with the half mile there and back from hotel.  I’m also doing the event report today so have drafted that and will send it out once my time has been published. 

Off out to have a look around Salisbury now. 
  • Hi Zoe! Where in Yorkshire are you from? (I was just up there to do Yorkshire Marathon).

My parkrun today was Hilly Fields, which is rather well named. I mate up with Tunde again (the guy I met going to South Norwood - this is the fourth parkrun we've now done together). It's a mix of path, dirt trail and grass and I was glad I'd opted for trail shoes. I knew it wasn't going to be a fast one (I picked it for this reason - since I'm not yet back to form I thought I'd get one of the slowest ones out of the way) but I still quite enjoyed it. There's one pretty steep hill you have to do twice, which is on grass, and the second time up that I found it hard to get my breath so I had nothing for the finish. I ran 27:08 (would have liked to have got under 27, but hey ho, I am often over 27 on the tougher courses) and was 2nd in age group.
    Five more London runs left to do.
  • Well I had the best run EVER! Had no idea what I would be capable of so ran on HR and the pace just looked after itself. Really enjoyed myself and finished in 3h49. Had an absolutely fab time and enjoyed every minute. Will update a bit more later, one of my most enjoyable marathons and a good way to end my 40s.. I will be 50 tomorrow.. eeek! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - brilliant running and Happy Birthday for tomorrow, that's a super birthday present having a great marathon.  Running by HR really works so well for you.

Ian - that's very good after 2 marathons plus all the travelling etc too.

Big G - brrr  you must have been cold, I expect it was frosty in Salisbury too.  

Cal - you've certainly worked your way through the London parkruns, what are your plans when they're all done?

Double session in the gym for me this afternoon, upper and lower body workouts done. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Any others opening soon to scupper you? Some going to be fair.
    Mama-That sounds like you had a brilliant run,looks like the pants worked again,what's next?
    In your new age group that's a qualifier for both New York and Boston.
  • No new ones this year, Ian, but I'm sure there will be more. I know one is in the works not far from Fulham.
    Shades - I'll have to start travelling a bit further eh? But I expect I won't be able to afford to do that every week so I'll do some repeats of the parkruns I like (particularly those where I think I can get a better time).
    mamafox - congrats on the GFA!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - maybe you can do a few different races further from home and with a cheap Travelodge or similar, squeeze in a bit of parkrun tourism too and make a weekend of it without spending a fortune.

After doing a double session in the gym yesterday I was shattered after dinner and fell into bed.   Had a good sleep but my body felt tired this morning, I'd planned to do my favourite 8 miles hilly run so decided I would set out and if I felt tired I'd cut the route to 6.5 miles by changing my return route.   Bitter wind but I put loads of clothes on and was lovely and warm and had a fab run, once I'd got my legs warmed up the hills weren't a problem :) 

Roast turkey for lunch today, I'm loving this higher protein diet :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Glad you had a good run, Shades - mine wasn't so great. As I'd done 10 last Sunday I thought I'd do 12 or 13 today. Nice sunny Autumn weather (but cold - not as cold as yesterday but cold enough for sleeves and gloves) so thought I'd do the Wandle Trail to Morden Hall Park, but rather than go on from there to Wimbledon, as I do on my 20 milers, I'd do it as an out-and-back. Only thing was, when I got to the trail, it was a lot wetter than expected. The tarmac bits were OK but the trail bits were covered in puddles and very muddy at the edges. Then, when I got to the park, I realised most of the paths there are also dirt (as I've only run it in the summer, I wasn't really thinking about the surfaces). So I exited the park and tried to figure out how to make my way home via roads, using road signs and a vague sense of direction to navigate. At this point my glute/ham was grumbling a lot (maybe it didn't like Hilly Field's hills yesterday), and my legs felt heavy. I hit Tooting Common at around 10 miles so rather than run around it, I took the quickest path back to finish it at 11 miles.
    I guess I'm not as far along in my recovery from Yorkshire as I thought I was.
  • Whilst online.. I never said thanks, I don't think? for the emailed marathon plan Shades?, so thanks very much! Appreciated.

I'm doing the "level 1" plan for first timers and gently ticking along.

I'm around the half marathon level at the moment, having completed about a dozen runs of that length all-in, but will be attempt gradually to increase the long runs. Thanks again.

Hi Cal!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Call, good to see LonDONE is nearly, err, done.  I'm busy trying to work out if I can do a double on New Year's Day, and also if Xmas Day is possible.  At the moment the local ones haven't announced what they're doing yet, so I can't plan it currently.  I need Xmas Day to go ahead somewhere easy for me to get to as that's the only way I can get up to 40 parkruns this year.  I've only managed to get that many because of all those events I missed with my shoulder, so I ended up doing more parkruns than I would usually.  Also my volunteer numbers are going up very gradually, what with the report-writing roles and also that pacing role I did.  I'm not going to do tail-walking again as that is actually quite hard work.  Not trying to be rude or condescending etc, but walking around in 1hr10 is quite tiring!

Hi LTT.  Do you ave a particular marathon you're training for?

As for me, I've just got back home from Sailsbury, and it was great catching up with everyone.  It dawned on us whilst there that it was 20 years ago since we left University.  We are quite unusual I think as the six of us all got firsts at Uni (there were about 150 on the course, 9 got firsts, and us 6 are good friends), then left and got jobs, people have been married, divorced, had kids, moved house (in some cases, lots of times), etc etc, but we've all stayed in touch after all that time.  These days it's harder meeting as regularly as we used although our WhatsApp group is very active all year around.  We've already put a weekend in the diary for this time next year, so hoping that at least will be met, and maybe another one in the spring/summer too...but I won't hold my breath about that as getting a weekend everyone can do is very difficult.  I'm at least partly responsible for that with all the events I'm doing!  Then people have commitments with family, one is a season ticket holder for Southampton so doesn't like to miss home games if he can help it, and then suddenly getting a free weekend can be harder than it may appear.
  • I've tail walked once, Big G, and I wouldn't do it again either (it also bumps up your average time!) I'll be hitting 40 parkruns for the year in a few weeks.
    I'll be doing South Manchester again for Christmas - hoping I can beat last year's time!
    I've not managed to keep in touch with my uni mates aside from one guy from my first year flat who appeared behind me in a photo from Rickmansworth parkrun earlier this year. Neither knew the other was there. Spooky!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - frustrating Sunday run for you.   I'm sure if your route had been more to your liking you'd have had a smoother run and less trouble from the glute/hammy.

Surely it doesn't matter about tail walking affecting average parkrun times, they're only fun runs.   But I understand not wanting to tail walk a parkrun on a very cold day or at one that is not your local event. 

LTT - you're very welcome.   So good to hear that your training is going well, and you seem to be enjoying it. ;) 

Big G - blimey, do they really take 1 hour 10 mins.   I saw and passed the tail enders at Llanelli parkrun and they were finishing in 45-50 minutes. 

That's really impressive that you've managed to keep your group from Uni in contact and meeting regularly.   How did they take your non drinking and your serial marathon running? ;) 

8 miles for me today, a little milder but still a cold wind.   Slight DOMS in my lower legs from Saturday's gym session but not too bad.