Knee Pain. ITBS or PFPS?

Hi everyone,

I know this subject has been thoroughly discussed, but i was wondering if someone could advise on the specific symptoms that i have.

Lately, when running i am experiencing pain on my kneecaps after a few kilometers. The pain feels like it's on the center of my kneecaps and becomes instantly more acute at a specific spot if i bend my knee more than i naturally do when running. The pain goes away when i stop running and i experience no pain during other related activities (up/down stairs, walking, sitting, etc.).

It might be worth mentioning that i am training for my first half marathon and i am running more than I've ever run.

A friend told me that i probably suffer from the infamous runner's knee, but considering that this is quite a vague term, i am not sure what i need to do to mitigate the symptoms that prevent me from running at my training schedule's targets.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ilias

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like ITBS as that's the band of muscle that runs down the outside.

Yes, could easily be runner's knee which is generally an overuse injury.   Make sure your shoes are supportive enough and adequate cushioning for your needs.   As it's both knees it could well be your shoes aggravating the problem.

Best to go to a physio and get a diagnosis and they will help you with a rehab plan
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi Ilias

Runners knee is indeed a rather vague term that seems to end up including any cause of sore knees in someone who runs. Patellofemoral pain syndrome isn't much better. And ITB pain can also include a range of problems. I suspect much of the use of these terms is simply reflective of people preferring to have a label or a name to what they have. Given the range of actual issues that can underlie each of these, and the fact that there isn't really one specific exercise you can do to cure them, isolating one problem doesn't always cure the problem. Also, people often have what are considered abnormal biomechanics, but it doesn't necessarily follow that they cause a specific problem. Just because someone has weak glutes or overpronates doesn't mean that has caused their pain (though it might have).

Increasing mileage is a common time to get most of these problems, and unfortunately it's a frustrating time, as it often throws training schedules into disarray, or means people won't rest when they really should. 

As shades said, getting an assessment usually is a good start - someone really needs to look at you to know what might be happening. Sports physios are ideal to start with.

Other general things that usually help
    - rest. Then increase mileage more slowly
    - check your shoes, might be worth trying a different pair
    - Cross training - develops cardio while (depending which exercise you choose) reducing the impact on your knees
    - strength/weights - most people have some imbalances somewhere, and most causes of knee pains in runners can be caused by muscle weakness somewhere
    - stretching/flexibility - same as last comment, except change "muscle weakness" to "tightnes "

Getting sore during a run and not at other times doesn't sound like inflammation to me, so I wouldn't be slapping on a load of /popping a load of anti-inflammatories.

I think most of us have been through this sort of thing at some point - it's annoying, but you can often find something that helps
  • Hi both,

Just wanted to thank you for your helpful advice and for taking the time to respond.

I am now seeing a physio who advised that the pain is predominantly caused by repeated stress on my patellar tendon.

In case it is of help to anybody else, my rehab is focused on strengthening the glutes and relieving the tightness of the upper leg muscles by massaging and by using a foam roller at home.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ilias
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's good news that you've got a diagnosis and can work on your recovery.

You'll soon be back running and hopefully pain free  :)
  • Sounds more like quadriceps tendinitis. That’s irritation of the tendon where if attaches at the top of the kneecap. Does it feel like a bruise, and is it warm to touch?
  • Hi thank you for posting this as I seem to have been experiencing the same issues. The problem I had is that I am unsure as to when it is healed as I feel little pain until I begin trying to run again! Did the Physio indicate how long you should rest it for before getting back to running? Thanks 
  • > @Wheelyneil said:
    > Sounds more like quadriceps tendinitis. That’s irritation of the tendon where if attaches at the top of the kneecap. Does it feel like a bruise, and is it warm to touch?

Hi Wheelyneil,

There was no pain when i touched it (unlike a bruise) and i didn't notice it being warm but then again i'm not 100% sure. I didn't experience any pain on top of my kneecap or on my quads.
  • > @Joeyjoey83 said:
    > Hi thank you for posting this as I seem to have been experiencing the same issues. The problem I had is that I am unsure as to when it is healed as I feel little pain until I begin trying to run again! Did the Physio indicate how long you should rest it for before getting back to running? Thanks 

Hi Joey,

No, not really. I guess it depends on your specific issue and how bad you feel.

I would give it at least 2-3 weeks of no running at all while addressing your specific issue with exercises and potentially physiotherapy.

Good luck!
  • Note that a common cause of knee pain is tightness of the quadriceps, particularly the outer quads, pulling the patella (kneecap) slightly out of alignment. If you massage your quads - whether with a 'stick', roller or by hand (upwards), and find they are at all tight (painful), then massage them more and see if that helps. Always works for me... (However, if you've let it go on too long before doing this then you may need to rest as well while everything settles down).
  • Thanks Debra yes I will give that a try. The pain went off after 5 days or so and I went for a 5k run last night only to find that the pain has come back worse than before! think i need to rest at least 2 or 3 weeks now. Gutted