Sub 3

Comments

• Upcoming 2019 Marathons

RJR - Nottingham 30th Nov 

Joe - Valencia 1st Dec 
    TickTock 
    DanA

OuchOuch - Malaga   15th Dec
  • OO - That star wars music gets me every time- one of my favourite moment of the race. Unfortunately DanA won't be running in Valencia as he's just coming back from the bench. Bad luck in the ballot, but like you said, plenty of other good races out there.

TickTock - I also fly out Sat morning - 7:15 from LGW with sleazy-jet? Looking forward to it.

Finally starting to feel some fitness back after a long summer just not being myself in any way. Won't be hitting top gear in Valencia but now looking forward to it in earnest. Banked some good sessions, shedding some weight, and most importantly enjoying it again. Might be good for somewhere circa 2:45 - we'll see how the next 2 weeks go. 
  • OO - I wouldn't fancy a marathon in the 30 degrees. I hope there was a breeze?!

TT - Training at altitude eh? I have cycled Teide a few times and I have to say it's awesome. drove up at night last week and watching the sunset about the clouds was pretty spectacular.

Less than 3 miles for me today. Every time I looked out the window it looked less and less appealing. 28 miles so far this week. will cover off another 12 over the weekend.
  • Morning all!

I thought I'd pop in and say hi! It's been a while so hope all are well.

I did have a peek around marafun time and was very pleased to see sj pb, TR run well, and CD have a great run at NY, amongst other great runs.

Not much to report here. Things nosedived big time. I've been in the middle of a huge fibro flare up for well over a month now that has coincided with one of the worst bouts of anaemia I've ever had (they're connected). I'm showing signs of edging towards coming out the other side, but it's an 'all bets are off' scenario now - I've dismissed any thoughts of racing for the foreseeable and am going to try build up so slowly that the increases are almost imperceptible. I'm at the stage now where if I can't get a handle on the fibro then I'll just run for fun, but I'm hoping I've still got enough of a competitive urge left to stick it out and come through it.

On the plus side I've been walking plenty with our rescue dog (who is like a different dog already) so I've been getting plenty of fresh air and relaxation.

Good luck at Gosport TR (assuming you're still doing it).

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you are struggling TT, i guessed your absence here meant you wont be at Gosport. I'll be there, hoping to beat my 82mins at Solent 4 weeks before Abo. But we'll see how well recovered i am on Sunday.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Unlucky TT, you have been suffering the past few years but I do like the plus side with the new dog. 
    RJR - It was like running in a beam of dry heat for most of it, was aiming for 3:05 did 3:22 with the winner in 3:02. The beach was great afterwards though. 
    Joe - Wouldn't put it past DanA to decide to have a crack at the marathon. Good to see you've got back your verve.
    TiTo - I like the sound of running up Mt Teide, I am there in Feb and might give it a crack. Taper time for you too?
    TR - Good luck on Sunday, looking for a sub-82 time?  I am sure you will go well with the boost of the Abo marathon coming through.
    My first tempo session for months - to coincide with bringing my Garmin back to life - 5m averaging 6.20, felt OK, not too hard - so feel much more confident now about sub-3ing in Malaga in 30 days time.  On the downside, ran in the Nike Fly Knits for the first time, and the soles of both feet sure got warm after 4 miles!  :/ Thinking about the experience  Menn had in them.  Will try them on a MLR and decide whether to use them on the day. Perhaps Nike FK just hate us Taffs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    OO - as fast as possible Sunday is the aim, its a freebie in terms of it being a tapered race that i havnt trained for........i used the Flyknits for my 12 inc 5m last week, they are strange as they are so stiff, but feel better at pace. Not sure i could run a mara in them. We'll see how Sunday goes. I dont think theres any magic in them, i rhink they just prepare you for the magic shoes.......im mulling over the magic shoes, i have a 15% voucher valid for the rest of the year.......lots of folks ahead of (and behind) me at Abo had them on, but it still feels a bit like mechanical doping, and id be buying marathon time (which is pretty much guaranteed) which messes with my moral compass a bit. Well see how sunday goes in the flyknits, i might change my mind re buying marathon time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW needs to listen to Tommy Hughes on marathon talk re running sub 2.30 aged 59, he did 12 wks of 120mpw which comprised 17m sat, sun and mon, and then doubles for the rest of the week which included some speedwork.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    TR - Yes, its great to race with no time pressure and can just go with the flow.  I did have the Nike % in my purchase items box recently - and even with 20% discount - found it difficult to press the buy button.  After running in the FK kinda wish I had now.  Unsure about mechanical doping just another innovation in my book and matter of time before I buy them as sure they must be worth 2-3 minutes for guys running our times, and can probably use in 5+ races.   Sub 2.30 at 59 is pretty decent.  Lots of miles in there.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    OO - we did get some of the flyknits pretty cheap so its not all bad that theres no magic (as long as you get to wear yours), they are meant for training in ready for the magic shoes on race day. So if you (or I) get dome magic shoes then we have the training shoes. I'll wear mine for all the P and D quicker stuff pre vlm.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hughes ran 2:27 at Frankfurt aged 60 recently, his son chased him round in 2:31!  Didn't know about his training though, that is monstrous mileage at age 60.
    Weather looks good for Sunday TR, one less thing to worry about!
    TT.. that sounds awful, hope there's a way of managing it in the future.
    Got out for 10k late morning, sunny & almost warm.  Glad I got it done as it pithed it down a couple of hours later.  Our club are doing a coffee & cake charity event tomorrow morning so I'd better have a blast round Park Run plus a few extra miles to make room for it!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Tommy was 59, they set a father and son WR. It was his sons first mara, he was still smoking and boozing up until recently. Tommy said his son will go sub 220.

Time for a few beers.
  • I hope you can find a way to manage it TippTop.

Sorry to hear that Dan has been benched. I wondered where he was.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the break and hope you have a good race TickTock.

Good to hear that you’re feeling better Joe.

A non pressure race will hopefully give you a good result TR.

I think you can afford a few pieces of cake Wardi 😊
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • To be fair, Tommy was a 2:13 marathoner at his best, so he has pedigree, but coming back 30 years later within 15 minutes of that is something else.  He did say he's stopped working to be a full-time athlete again which I guess gives him plenty of rest time as well as time to do 120 mpw.  17 on 3 consecutive days would be right up CW's strasse.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ah yes you are right TR, I thought his 60th birthday had passed.  He should be on for a V60 WR if he can stay off the fags & ale for a bit longer.  :|  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    CD - agreed, i thought id point out the 17m long run for CW, but he does it again the next day, and the day after

Wardi - he said he was going record hunting next year.

2m easy, its been tedious doing short taper runs in the frost this week, as i havnt been out there long enough to warm up. No more tapering until April now though, i can get on with operation sub 255 later in the week.
  • Sending TT healing Vibes.

Good racing to TR

2.27 is special at that age.

Nice to hear the training for Valencia is going well Joe - What a super place to go for a run!
  • Echo sentiments to TT - sounds rough but glad you say you can see the other side coming into view. Great news re pooch settling in too. 

TR - mainly dropping in to say go well tomorrow. A free hit out as you say - don't look at your watch and you'll go faster than you think. 

Decidedly dodgy here with some issues surrounding hip flexors and adductors which is also making my abs feel a bit tight? Sneezing hurts too!  An extended break is good mentally but physically perhaps not so clever physically. I had to remind myself its ok to be running 8:30/mile now, its April I need to be going faster.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Cheers SJ and Menn. The watch records the pace on shorter races than maras it doesnt set the pace, so if i feel good then I'll run quicker like you say SJ. Hope your niggles settle. I know the fear of sneezing thing so very well (see below).

2 years on since i did Gosport 2017 as my first race since vlm 2015, which started a sub3 comeback quest following my PF and groin/stomach issues. Im in the normal shoes so i can quantify the progress, not that i think theres any magic in the flyknits.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Didnt run as well as id have liked, i was hoping to get under 81mins, but it always a risk doing this after Abo recovery with no real race prep. So my legs got a shock today. Still Abo always was the priority.

81.27, so not much quicker than my solent 82.34 which was a tired run on a slower route...........however, 81 mins is well on the way to sub 255 shape.

A few easy days then operation sub 255 begins.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A minutes worth of improvement is still worth having TR, nicely done.  Must have been nice not having a coastal gale to contend with for a change.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers Wardi, wind was pretty minimal, only noticed it a few times. Thats my year done, ill be having a madras and a few beerios later.
  • Thats an undeniable improvement @TR - its certainly a solid building block en route to target. Nice work
  • Good job TR - always difficult to know how post-Mara recovery has gone.  Enjoy your beers.
  • TR - Nice one and a minute faster than last time out. Keep it going and that sub 255 is yours. Enjoy the beer and curry - Chicken Rogan man myself with Madras hot sauce mind. You've had a really solid year.v
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers folks. As OO said, ive had a solid year.

Plenty of magic shoes out there, i achieved 2.55 and 81 without them this year. Cant see them going away, and other brands are developing them, so im going to join em.

Madras inhaled, beers chilling.
  • Great run TR, good to know you're in that kind of shape in your recovery. jealous of the curry. curious to see what the magic shoes do for you.

4.5 miles for me yesterday with some hills. 8 miles today at 4 min/km. it's been a pretty slow running week so was nice to just check in with my legs and all was good.
  • TR sells out shocker!  :) Enjoy a bit of downtime TR. Will it be a gadget next?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TR sells out shocker!  :) Enjoy a bit of downtime TR. Will it be a gadget next?

It'll be a Nike Oregon Project race vest. :-)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    T shirt not vest,my vest was retired a few years ago.

LMH - ill have to go 4% of course, couldnt possibly run in anything current. The gagdet will drop down the list, as its not going to buy me time and not sure P and D needs it anyway.

5m easy, legs were good. Groin/tummy thing sore (as usual after racing hardish).