Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, thanks, saw that via FB last night. The thing is we have had since about 2am the rain that is working it's way to the East Mids by mid morning and we have floods forming frequently. If Derby is already saturated it doesn't bode well.

My concern is we end up with a random 8.3m race or something which is of no use to me at all. If they re-route and run it I hope they are clear asap what the status and distance will be because it's a 100m round trip for me and I don't want to be told it's still 10m to end up with it being long or short.

• Tommy2D said:

FAO DT

13/11/2019: We have been around the course for the most part of today and as things stand, the event is still taking place but we wanted to inform you that we do need to make several changes to the course.

Our assessment of the course today has shown that the first part of the return section of river path at around 6.5 miles that we have been monitoring carefully is still not draining away and unfortunately it is highly unlikely to in time for Sunday’s race.  However, the rest of the course is usable for the race.  Unfortunately, Elvaston Castle have informed us early today that the park is currently closed and looks likely to remain so for the weekend.  We are therefore unable to use the estate grounds completely including the outer perimeter.  This reduces our choice of route.  We are in regular contact with multiple authorities/agencies in regard to the feasibility of our plans and would like to thank them for their support in helping us to find the best solution possible for all.

We are working hard behind the scenes to give you the best running experience on Sunday and have medals and t-shirts here that we are looking forward to giving out to our fantastic runners. We aim to give you a further update tomorrow including the chosen contingency route

Sounds to me like they are doing everything they can to make a race happen when the smart call would be to cancel. Perhaps too much money at stake - or maybe race organisers have cancellation insurance?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, they have now announced it's running but on it's 6th version of the course and will involve a 9 wave start. It looks like it wont be as flat and will involve several out and backs and dead stop turns. 

They havent answered my message however as to whether this will be a certified 10m race. 

As you say, it seems money is coming ahead of good sense. 
  • DT - just had a look at the route, if I'm reading it correctly, the first out and back between 1.5 and 3.5 miles is along a cycle path and is pretty narrow, which is probably why they've had to go with starting waves. The other section where there will be runners going both ways (miles 4-5 / 8.5-9.5) is on a path beside the river which from memory isn't that wide so could be a bit chaotic. The main out and back section is pretty flat though so I wouldn't worry about that.

The bloke who measures our clubs races, along with many other races, lives in Derby and so they may have got him onboard so it could still be certified.

• It's not looking good DT, with the amount of rain coming down today still. I read their remarks on Facebook "We've got medals and t-shirts for all finishers" as smacking of 'well, there will be a race of sorts'.

9.4m yesterday, 5.2 easy-ish, and 4.2 progressive on the treadmill  :/ Heading for around 50 miles for the week and may throw in a parkrun if Saturday morning weather isn't ... de-motivating.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, yes I've been told the course measurer is local and pretty accommodating.

Muddy, yep that's what I am seeing. It's a matter of getting the event over the line so they don't have to refund or rearrange and the masses will be quite happy with just doing it and having a goody bag. I'm certainly not going to end up with what I was looking for sadly. Shame as conditions sunday morning are pretty perfect.

• I saw they had certified the alternate route DT. Conditions were brilliant this morning so hope you can take advantage of the same tomorrow. I did parkrun (Walsall) and finished 2nd in 16.27 which is a massive pb. So, hooray !
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    wow, thats over 30s pb isnt? Top running. My plan b was walsall parkrun today. 

Yes it's certified now and conditions look perfect. There's two switchbacks by looks which shouldn't be too problematic at 10m pace. 
  • muddy, that's an awesome time!  Well, well done.
  • Cheers Pete, DT. Yeah 5k in August had me at 16.54 for a pb, though I did that in a bit of a state of exhaustion, so yeah around 30 seconds faster today. I think Walsall is suspiciously quick, but it does benefit from a fast downhill start (repeated on each of the three laps) and the surface is really good.

Good luck in the morning DT.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can question the distance but it is what it is. I'll give it another go in December.

Well after all the drama of the week, the course was ok in the circumstances. Not much fun for your fun runner though. The surface was difficult and with 3 switchbacks and numerous other sharp turns, 5 times i very nearly went flying. 

I had 6.15mm in my head as a reasonable pace target. Sat there pretty much the whole race give or take a few seconds eitherside. Thought i was on for a big pb as the mile markers wete running very  close to my gps then mile 10 beeped and the line was a good 100m away. Picked the pace up to the line just to be sure finishing in 63.11 for a small 15s pb. Average pace was 6.16mm which is first time I've  held a sub 6.20 pace for a race over 7.5m.

It's a decent platform with attention moving to Telford 10k which is 3 weeks today. 
  • A weekend of PBs

Stunning time Muddy - an excellent start to your 'focussing on running seriously period' - let's hope there is more to come.

Well done DT - I'm sure you've got more in the tank but 10 milers don't come round very often so good to log a PB - which incidentally is now better than my 10 mile PB.

Have a TTT Update (note Muddy's improved his WAVA but not time not up on Pof10 yet so you'll need to remind me later in the week).
  • Oh I can't attach the new TTT Update because it seems as a new member I don't have the rights to attach things??

My old membership was on a very, very old email address and for some reason today they've insisted I change my password which I can't do because I don't get emails on that address any more so I've had to reregister (which is annoying but not that important in grand scheme of things).
  • Wonder if it's a number of posts thing?
  • Or maybe a time thing?
  • In running news after my success at running 10 miles the previous weekend I decided to enter the Brampton to Carlisle 10 mile race yesterday.

The main goal was simply to see if I could run 10 miles again.

My goals in order were

a) Complete without my foot stopping me
    b) Complete without my foot hurting
    c) Do it inside 80 mins (based on my easy 82:30 last weekend I thought that was possible)
    d) Get close to 75 mins (unlikely but see how it goes)

In the end I started way too far back and spent some time jogging on spot in first half mile as I dodged round the slow end of the field but managed a 7:30 first mile (which is really downhill) so decided to keep on at that pace.

I don't have a Garmin so was tracking my pace by the mile markers and my Rotary wrist watch so not that accurate. I didn't realise for a few miles that keeping going at the same pace as I had finished the first mile was a lot faster than my total time for the first mile because the first half mile had been so slow.

Hit 5 miles in 36 mins and kept going at just over 7 min miling to the end and whilst I was working hard the last mile to pass a few more people it never really got that tough.

71:27 for 253rd (always a high quality field) - no foot pain and none today yet either - really enjoyed it - chuffed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, yes my 10m pb was nearly 3 years old, but that was only my 3rd go at it.

I have seen other 'new' members make comments about how they cannot start their own thread as not posted enough yet so I've assumed it is down to volume.

That's excellent news and running Skinny. It's usually the morning after when damage is felt so fingers crossed you've avoided any backlash. It's a big test for the foot to survive!

• I've been promoted to Level 2 - that didn't take long.

TTT attached.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Skinny and congratulations on your promotion. What a great couple of days you are having!

It's interesting that 8 of 11 of us on that table with wavas have achieved our best at 5k, yet with the exception of Bob, are all more distance runners and I certainly consider 5k as my weakest distance.

Incidentally I had a few exchanges with Bob last night on garmin connect and he is running his first half in 2 weeks.

I wonder if we will hear from Mace again? He hasn't been back since looking like he wasn't going to be making the start line at London.

• > @DT19 said:
    > Thanks, Skinny and congratulations on your promotion. What a great couple of days you are having!
    >
    > It's interesting that 8 of 11 of us on that table with wavas have achieved our best at 5k, yet with the exception of Bob, are all more distance runners and I certainly consider 5k as my weakest distance.
    >
    > Incidentally I had a few exchanges with Bob last night on garmin connect and he is running his first half in 2 weeks.
    >
    > I wonder if we will hear from Mace again? He hasn't been back since looking like he wasn't going to be making the start line at London.

Haha - thanks!

Yes somehow WAVA doesn't work across the distances - I presume it is because at the very top the fastest runners go longer whereas at the sharp end the fastest runners have moved on as they get older. Hence track WAVAs also produce even better results than 5k.

Re Bob - exciting - wonder if he will come on here and do a report - about time he did a Half - wonder how many pages the report would be? ;-)

Is this you angling for a promotion? :-)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

No, I quite like having almost all the cells!! And we did look to agree that top table has a minimum sub 38 requirement!! Perhaps if I ever managed that then I might make the case!!

I dread to think how he would report a half!!

I'd always assumed that wava was somehow weighted in that there was an expectation that as you got older the shorter distances would suffer more so wava reflected this by giving comparably lesser performances a higher number. I just need to come near my parkrun pb to improve mine as it was set at 42. Hoping to have a couple of goes at it in December.

• > @DT19 said:

> I wonder if we will hear from Mace again? He hasn't been back since looking like he wasn't going to be making the start line at London.

No sign of Mace running on Pof10
    Literatin is still doing XC but about a minute slower than last year - could be conditions though rather than her actually being slower.
    Mr V - can't remember his real name but don't think he did B2C yesterday.
    Lou has 6 listed races this year and still in sub 20 min 5k shape.
    Bob you've just mentioned is about to do his first HM
    Madbee - can't remember her real name
    McFlooze still visits
    Marrows - can't remember her real name
    Pete - was here at weekend but a while since he tested himself against the clock (Christmas Day 2018)
    Rich - is still running plenty and did a parkrun in Bedford a week ago in 22:40

People not mentioned because they are still here regularly - Muddy, DT and Tommy

People not mentioned because they made it on to the TTT but came and went. Charlie, Velloo, Matty W, Chris F, another Rich and DH and if I can't remember Mr V, Madbee and Marrows real names I haven't got a cat in hells chance with them.

Kevin70 posts but has never made it on to the TTT.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well I follow Madbee, DH, Charlie and Mr V on strava.

Mr v hasn't posted a run since mid july but was parkrunning every other week through to about May and done a few 10ks this year.

DH, seemed to peak out at the 10k and pops up on strava with a run on an inconsistent basis.

Madbee is running regularly and picked up a nice trophy for 3rd lady in a trail half yesterday.

Charlie, is running frequently like 3 times a week but more for leisure by the looks.

There was also The Dan who took over the TTT then disappeared.

• Thanks Skinny. Excellent run for you and great to push things with no ill effects - I had a sneaky feeling that race might be on your radar.

Might you be tempted by the 3-1-5 half in two weeks (or even the 5k, which you would surely be in for an age cat top 3 finish) ? I'll be up there for that.

Poor Bob- can't do anything in secret with blabbermouth DT spilling the beans ;):D

I saw DH did a big run on Strava the other day, but he did go off climbing Everest for a bit. Or did he do that already ?

Madbee is going well on Strava - hope to share a cup of tea with her and Mr Mad and Junior Mad at the Brass Monkey in Jan.

Maybe everyone will be reincarnated with slightly different usernames like Skinny ...

• Thanks - nice to know my virtual acquaintances are doing okay.

Well done to Madbee in your absence. B)

Ahh T'Dan - wonder if it was the TTT ownership that caused him to leave?
  • Skinny - Po10 have results up now - parkrun came in at 89% wava (exactly).
  • > @muddyfunster said:
    > Thanks Skinny. Excellent run for you and great to push things with no ill effects - I had a sneaky feeling that race might be on your radar.
    >
    > Might you be tempted by the 3-1-5 half in two weeks (or even the 5k, which you would surely be in for an age cat top 3 finish) ? I'll be up there for that.
    >

Thanks - at the start of the year when I ran a bit I'd hoped I might even arrive there in some sort of shape but yes the 10 miler last week was to check if I could make the distance without any speed - yesterday was just the natural conclusion of the experiment. But since my 4 month complete break I've only run a total of 35 miles in the following 6 weeks so being capable of running that time was something of a surprise.

I've got a mate who is doing the 3-5-1 half but only 6 or 7 people did the 5k last year. There is no need for me to make a 2 hour round trip to run a 1:35ish HM (on a good day) just because I might be able to do it plus a different friend is back in Carlisle that weekend and has suggested doing the parkrun together the previous day and running twice in two days is just not going to happen.

For my sanity I need to not get carried away - being able to run on occasion is not the same as sustainable training for events but it's better than not being able to run at all.

Updated TTT attached. 89% is very good - according to parkrun 'Above 90% World Class Level' - not far off!

Where does the 16:27 rank you this year in your age group?
  • Fair enough - I wasn't quite sure if it was a massive trip for you. I'll be hopping up from Liverpool, so similar kind of overhead. It's the trip back that's a killer.

Just had a look at rankings - 24th in v45 age group for parkrun this year. My chip time (via my watch, paused liberally once well over the line) was 16.25 - and that gets me to 19th this year. If you look at the v50s, which I'll hit in June, that gets me 5th/6th. Though I suppose there will be a new cohort of freshly minted v50s to contend with by then.

I'm 83rd in the v45 ranks for my August 'proper' 5k in 16.54. I think that could be improved on with a fast field and course, but unlikely during this calendar year.
  • For 49 year olds your parkrun time is joint 4th in 2019 so just off the podium for the year for people your age in the UK - excellent.
  • No no I definitely am slower, as a result of doing literally no training for months. Been a bit busy. However I nominated myself xc captain at some point so still have to turn up!