My Last Run

Comments

• Cal - A cap would be handy but admittedly I've never run with one on before. Only just getting used to a head torch!

Hazel - I've tried contacts but I get really funny about things going in or near my eyes, so I don't think contacts are quite right for me (plus I think it feels a bit weird). May just go running without glasses, I can still see objects, just not details (e.g. I can see cars, but not number plates until I get closer)

The 9 mile run is supposedly at 10-10:30mm and I know I can run at 10mm for 6 miles, I just don't think I can go for 9 miles at that sort of pace, even at 10:30mm. Looking at doing 7-8 miles on a day over the weekend instead, probably.

Fartlek hills last night...boy that was not fun!
  • Malteser - I am a bit short-sighted. I was a lot more short-sighted until 2005 and wore contacts initially, then glasses (being on computers all day left me with dry eyes). Then I got laser eye surgery. It was amazing...for a few years. Then my eyes regressed again. I was -2.5 before the surgery and around -1 now so it's still an improvement, but it's like going from an UHD TV to standard definition. On a clear day my sight is pretty much fine but in dimmer light I can't see details. I ran past someone I knew this morning because it was quite dark and I don't see faces well in dim light (only realised when he shouted at me!)
    So...yeah, you'll be OK without the glasses if it's just details you're missing.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Malteser,I wear glasses but I don't wear them for running.I struggle to pick out things especially when on trail runs or if it's dark.Maybe build yourself up to nine miles over the next few weeks.Glad you enjoyed your hill session!

Glad your knee is OK Cal.I'm the same as you I don't pick faces out until they're close by.

Hazelnut,no prize for AG catagory I'm afraid.All runners received a woolly hat which comes in handy.

6.80 yesterday and 6 miles today.Hams and glutes are very tight after two lots of circuit training this week,hope they ease up for tomorrow's parkrun.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

• 5 miles tonight in grim weather as stipulated by my plan. Felt weary and laborious, rough week. Saw a fox. Finally got some tights/trousers, going to take a while to get used to them. Conditioning myself to run without music as some local events are no headphones, including bone conduction.
    Do you guys run with music or not?

Played football Wednesday for the first time in ages.  Haven't lost my devastating touch, vision, and goalscoring ability (!) but lost a good bit of zip, better endurance though perhaps?  I can play every Wednesday if I want, but not sure if that's a bad idea, (increased risk of injury, less recovery time, less in the tank for weekend long run).

Hope everyone 's aches, niggles and strains are OK! My left knee is giving me gip since football.

I always wear a cap  for winter running, surprising how much warmer I find it keeps me.

Think I'm going to leave that half marathon this weekend, I have to remind myself 4 weeks ago I was too injured to run at all, or 3 miles max, completely out of the game.

That said I 'm definitely doing that part -trail, half the weekend after as it was awesome! and i want to keep up with my half marathon per month I've managed, (just).

Bought some Bloks energy chews, any good?

Have a nice weekend.

• Last run 14/11/2019

4 of the 6 prescribed by my first-time-marathoners plan. Suffering a persistent and limp-inducing stitch, perhaps as a result of only running fasted? Only tend to get it once above 6 miles, but I could feel it before I even stepped out the door today. Managed to maintain a 9:10 pace until it really kicked in. Starting to worry that it will hinder my training. 4 easy tomorrow morning, will see how that goes...

Linton, I have also been working on training without headphones whenever I'm preparing for a race! Good scenery helps. I weaned myself off music with podcasts, which made a difference. Daylight savings can make it all the more testing, though!
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yay! a Park run PB!

I haven't done one since June when I did a 20:53, but having been sensible and given up the idea of the half marathon tomorrow, I thought why not?

Such a nice bunch at Pegwell, incredible cakes of all types on offer! It was cold so did a good half mile warm up.

Stuck myself in the second row, with the 21 minute pacer, and off.  Felt good, so pulled ahead a bit.

Through the first lap at 10:20, maybe just maybe I could get a PB! Hung on for that unpleasant second lap, big puddles to hurdle! and home.

15th of 219, but still 4th MV40 though. 20:35 my time. 6.6ish min miles.

Going to have a decent go at going sub 20 now as it's getting a bit close! Decent amount of interval training on long runs I guess? and another go in a month maybe. 35 seconds is a bit to lose though!

Hi cele!, no expert but I wager the stitch will go as your training increases. I had that and mine did.

• Hi cele. I do most of my runs fasted and stitch isn't really a problem - it could be that you're breathing a bit shallow. I have been doing yoga for 5 years so that might help.

Well done on the PB, Linton!

Beckton parkrun today - one of London's small parkruns. It's out in Docklands right by London City Airport. It's a mixture of path and grass, and the grass was very, very muddy (my trail shoes didn't quite cut it - you'd need spikes, except that they would be no good on the paths). Anyway, although I didn't have a brilliant time (26:11) I got my highest ever finisher spot - 11th place and 2nd lady. I will definitely revisit this one in the summer as it's flat and I reckon I could get a good time here. That, and it has a nice community feel.
  • Great parkrunning by LTT and Cal - time PB and finisher spot PBs.

I read your story about the eye op on another occasion Cal and it has put me off of thinking about getting it done myself. I have pretty bad astigmatism, can't do without glasses.  In past races I have followed brightly coloured compression socks as I couldn't see much else due to fog and rain.   

No music for me LTT - I want to hear what is going on around me in races and in training (some done on minor roads). I generally wear some sort of headgear in the winter depending on the temps - from a thin headband (good under a headtorch) to a thick cap.  Careful with the footy.  Haven't tried those chews - didn't get on with another variety as took too much chewing.  Gels or a softish energy bar for me.   

Shame there was no prize for your 3rd place JD - but a hat is always a useful thing.

Welcome cele27.  Breathing could be the thing with your stitch.  Hope you have a better run tomorrow and good luck with the mara training.  

Rare pre breakfast run for me today.  I am on cat duty at the weekends and rather than going back to bed after opening the tin I took on one mug of tea, half a banana, an espresso and set out for just short of 7 miles.  After yesterday's rest day I was feeling pretty fresh legged and ran a bit too fast again.   Now signed up for Hamburg marathon on 19.04 and a local 56k ultra at the beginning of June.  
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    We well done Linton on your PB,cracking run.No music for me as well.You've got to weigh up the pros and cons of your weekly football,won't do you any harm if you can stay injury free.

Welcome cele27,good luck with your mara training.

Nice parkrun Cal,good placing as well.

Hazelnut,like the one of you following the brightly coloured compression socks!Where's your ultra?

Birkenhead parkrun today,world's first public park and New York's Central Park was modelled on Birkenhead!Two lap course,flat and all on tarmac.Finished in 20:44 and 41/529.Definitely a PB course,so will returning in the future.Bushy parkrun next.
  • Nice running Cal and Linton! Great spot finishes and PB's are always something to be happy about I find! Linton, I used to run with music on all the time, that'd be down the quiet footpaths where the only hazard is dog walkers and the odd cyclist. I'm quite aware of my surroundings when I run, and enjoy running to music.

Did 12.5km solo yesterday morning. Just thought I'd do along at a comfortable pace just to see if I can log the miles under my belt. Did it in about 1:09:04, with an average of 5:33/km, so about 8:55min/mile for 7.74 miles in total (using conversion charts). I ran a 10k in my quickest time, too, knocking 2 minutes off my previous PB so pretty chuffed with that. I'd like to think my pace and my running were fairly consistent throughout the run, too, even if my technique went out the window in the first half a mile. Went tech-less for a run for the first time (bar my phone for Strava) so no music for me - the half marathon doesn't allow music so I thought I may as well get used to it. Found it enjoyable to be fair, will be doing that again for my longer runs. Was nice to just switch off away from society and technology (which, for someone my age, is almost an impossibility it seems).

Legs are aching a bit today but then I should probably stretch a bit more before and after my runs. My left hammy and my right soleus (the usual suspect of my niggles recently) are a bit tender so a rest day today before running more tomorrow. Was going to buy some new trainers yesterday, either some Brooks Glycerins or the Hoka Clifton's but the local running store didn't have any in my size, or in my 2E width...darn. Back to the drawing board to see if there are any other alternatives for what I'm looking to do with them (long mileage and a long distance race shoe, not at a silly cost).
  • I use Nike Epic Reacts for most of my training, Malteser - they have plenty of cushion (which is good for pavement pounders like myself) but are also extremely light and comfortable. Might be worth a look. sportshoes.com usually have some at a discount.
    Never run with music - I like to be able to hear what's going on around me. Rather important when you cross as many roads as I do.

I had to force myself out today - I wasn't feeling on top form and I really didn't feel like running at all,  but I told myself I'd feel worse if I didn't run. Managed to do a half marathon, even though my hamstring was getting increasinly grumpy on the way around. (Left one for me, too...and my right calf is pretty tight, though I think that may be down to sliding around in mud yesterday).

Smelled a lot of weed, got angry at cars that got in my way and saw a couple of nice cats.
  • Back down to Deal today for the weekend long run, due to life things I didn't get there until 12, so many people!

My plan stipulated 12 miles today, and 10 next weekend. But I swapped them round (10 today and the trail half marathon next weekend).  9 degrees today, so went race shorts, bad mistake!, easterly wind meant it felt damn cold.  Wanted to plod, but I had to run a good bit quicker than planned to keep warm!

10 miles 1:32, Including 2 unwanted "comfort" detours.  Why do elites never need a widdle?  Expertly practised hydration I guess! Forced to hurdle a Dachshund, but if you have to hurdle a dog, a Dachshund's got to be the premium choice.

Well done for still getting a half marathon in Cal when you didn't feel great! 

Well done on your long run Malteser, sounds like you're really enjoying your running! You should see some pretty good reductions in time.  I use Saucony freedom iso 2, which are supposedly a cushioned, yet responsive, marathon distance shoe, you can still tempo run in. I'm sure there are many good shoes out there.  I tried a pair of Nike Pegasus  turbo 2 on while shopping yesterday Cal, at a big DW sports, they felt unreal! so light and spongy/springy! Not cheap though £160. (I was hoping they'd have some 4/Next% to try, alas not. Not to buy, would be a Capristo exhaust on a Renault Megane Scenic scenario)

Great Park run JD! wow 529 people! surely those at the back have to use a stop watch? I guess it doesn't matter too much. Isn't Bushy Park the biggest? Just googled; 1300 odd runners! wow!

Good running Hazlenut!, looks like you have some serious distance training in the pipeline with a marathon AND a 56k ultra!  

Laters folks.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi All
    Been a while, was a quiet week in the build up to St Neots. Some great running going on.
    JD1, great age result for you last week and a nice Parkrun today. DIdn’t know about Birkenhead. My run in Central Park is still one of my faves. Enjoy Bushey! 
    Hazel, clothing is never a problem for me, I wear shorts and a t-shirt no matter what the weather. I  did wear my club vest over my t-shirt this time. Great miles for you as usual. You guys inspire me with your consistency. 
    Great parkrun time Linton, that’s nice and zippy.  When you up your distances you are going to nail some very quick HM and Marathons. Takes a lot of work though.
    Maltese, I agree with Cal, get yourself a cap, certainly helps with glasses. Nice running, glad your injuries have worn off. Nice distance too now, great to see someone enjoying it.
    Good park running Cal, I use LCY a lot for work, so it would be nice to do something fun there instead. I’ll leave it for dryer weather though. Well done on pushing through the niggles as usual. 
    Cele, welcome to the thread! I  agree with LTT, the stitch will clear up in time, but I find taking really deep breaths helps too. I wear aftershokz and also listen to podcasts, usually running ones!
    I had St Neots today. Started with my customary soft roll with peanut butter and a banana. So dry, it seems to pull all of the moisture out of the atmosphere. Not changing the habit now though. It was quite cold, but not too bad. There were quite a few from my club there and we won the team race for men and came second in the women’s. I find I run best if I keep my HR under 160 until the later sections and it seemed to work quite well today. It is a good PB course, with some undulation and no terrible hills and eventually a downish hill finish. Pleased to nail a PB, with a time of 1:52:06. That’s 2m 36s quicker than Bournemouth and 14m quicker than Lea Valley in March.
    Have a good week all.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic result enrvuk,that's a massive improvement from March.Is under 160 zone 3?HR training is obviously paying dividends.Well done.

Luckily it wasn't a Great Dane Linton!I bought a pair of Asics a few weeks ago,just because of the price,I hate them with a passion,awful to run in,so they're my gym shoes now.Going to stick with my Saucony's,unless Santa drops a pair of Nike's down the chimney.

Cal, that sounded like a tough one.I'm suffering exactly the same as you,both hams and my right calf,I had to shorten my stride yesterday just so it didn't hurt as much.

Nice run Malteser,that's a big chunk off your PB,well done.

8.1 miles along the canal,very muddy so wore my trails.Painful run,going to roll my legs tonight.

• Linton - I've been in marathons where the pacers have had to disappear into a bush, so it's not just you! (I've only had the one al fresco pee myself, 6 miles into a 20 miler despite having peed four times in the hour before I left the house, bah!)

JD, I think the rule of thumb is, if you have to change your stride, you should probably rest. :/
    Hope Santa is kind this Christmas. :)

Tonight I went to my club's annual party and awards and, totally unexpectedly, I got Vet of the Year! There are some very talented vets so I didn't think I was in the running, honestly, but apparently it's not just about the talent and my improvements along with doing the results round-ups got me a few votes.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your Vet of the Year award Cal,nice to be recognised .I'm giving myself a couple of days rest,plus no gym classes this week.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Cal, definitely reflects the work you've put in and the contribution to the community.

JD, I think Zone 3 is up to about 157, so there or thereabouts. Yep, I wholeheartedly recommend HR based training. Without it I was completely incapable of doing anything but run flat out! 

Rest day today, aside from bopping to Steve Mason tonight. Also considering Yorkshire as my first full marathon next year.
  • I definitely recommend Yorkshire - it's a great marathon. Superb support and pretty scenic - not too hilly either, although there is that little hill right before the finish (it's not *that* bad though - once you're over it you almost home). Well organised too.
  • Excellent work, Cal! An award well deserved!

6 miler for me tonight. Legs were a bit stiff from the weekend but still managed to keep pace. Rest day tomorrow methinks.

Been juggling over doing the Birmingham Half next year in October, though it'd only leave me a month and a half after coming back from a two week holiday. Toying with doing marathons in 2021
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Well in Cal! A great result and well earned! Even more so than anything in life, with running, consistency seems everything, and you have it in spades.

Brilliant half marathon result envruk! some big reductions in time. I must look into HR zones, my times have dropped since I started learning more about training strategies. Great result! I am getting there, slowly.

Good run JD, what canal, many anglers?

Malteser, good run.  That half marathon will be fine post holiday, I did some of my best training runs last year on holiday. It's amazing how much less fatigued you are without the 9-5, you feel twice the runner!

• Malteser - it won't be an issue. I've had holidays during my marathon taper including 5 days in Dubai when I didn't run at all! Before I did any marathons, I ran a half the week after coming back from a 2 week rollercoaster holiday in Italy - I ran three times during that (once at a seaside resort and twice down the river in Rome) but did a lot of walking. Knocked 4 minutes off my (then) PB.

Cheers, Linton. :)

Cold and yucky today so really didn't want to go out, but enjoyed it once I got out there. Ended up doing 10 miles! Only smelled weed once - I guess people smoke more on a Sunday.
  • Woke up feeling quite alert so was able to get out at just after 6 and as legs seemed to have some snap I made it another progression run, starting at 10:24 and working up to MP. It was a little bit of a fail as mile 6 was a few seconds slower than mile 5, although it felt harder (I was breathing harder anyway) - it was slightly more uphill but that shouldn't have made a difference really. When I looked at my Garmin data, I saw my stride was slightly shorter but my cadence for that mile was 190. Cripes, no wonder it felt hard!
    I then compared it to my similar paced miles during Yorkshire. My stride was around a metre for most miles (got a little shorter towards the end due to fatigue) and cadence was around 180 for most of it. I deffo wasn't breathing as hard. I guess those Vaporflys really are worth the money!
    Did two cool-down miles (just over 10 min/mi pace, which felt easy after the earlier miles).
  • Going to give a part-trail half marathon I' ve done before a go this weekend!

A bit nervous as it's bloody tough,  lot's of elevation, wet, mud, no trail shoes.  It really knocked the confidence out of me, the Folkstone Half injury fail, so hoping it'll go OK.
    Managed 10, 10 and 11.2 previous weekend's, but on the flat. It certainly isnt flat! but there's a marathon (2 laps of the same course) which is absolutely mind blowing to me, so must just get on with it!  That said, I loved it when I did it before, but it knocked me for six!

Just an easy 4 miles last night, 9 and a bit min miles.

Good Running Cal. I don't fully understand cadence ideals, is it 180?

Have a nice day.

• Hmm - seem to have lost a post somewhere..

Well done on your award Cal - with your improvements definitely deserved. 

Well done to you too enrvuk for your HM PB.  Big improvement for you too over the year.  Great team results too.

Holiday pre HM should be fine Malteser.  You could start training for it a couple of weeks early to compensate for the break

Nice progression run Cal. 

HM will need some careful pacing with its hills then LTT.  If necessary walk the worst. 

Ultra is in Biel JD:  https://www.100km.ch/index.php/en/program-2020/42-195-km (its neither 100k nor the mara distance despite the link..)

Group run yesterday evening with a couple of miles stuck on beforehand.  Good turnout for the time of year - 5.  OH had nicked the car for the evening so I went to and from the meeting point by moped - took forever to put on and take off the necessary layers of clothing so as not to freeze whilst riding and not to sweat too much when running.
  • Linton - yes, but I think that's something of an abritary figure based off track racers. I typically run 170s during easy to moderate paced running but it increases at race pace. It's not uncommon for me to hit high 180s during a parkrun. I have a short, low stride so I'll have a higher cadence than someone who bounds along like a gazelle (tall people will also have a lower cadence on average).
    If you want to see something interesting, have a look at the Gliders vs Gazelles video on YouTube. It's looking a triathletes but it applies to pure runners as well. I am absolutely a glider.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the HM congrats.

Malteser, you could also take your running gear on holiday. Depending on where you're heading, you may find some great runs. This year I've run along the waterfront in San Diego, Central Park, waterside in Aalborg Denmark, in Brussels and Amsterdam. Mostly work related trips. My longest run of the year was on the prom on holiday in Turkey! You might find some great running. Six weeks is a long time after the holiday in any case.

Cal, interesting to see your take on the vaporflys. I'm a bit nervous about getting into it and feeling I have to wear them for every race. Of course they don't put the miles in for you.

Hazel, impressive commitment to the cause. Full leathers probably aren't quite right for running!

First run since the half and it was some long intervals. 4x5m at HR Zone 4. Not too bad. I'm doing the 10k race in Regent's Park on Sunday week, it's free as I marshalled on the last one.
  • Will have a look the video Cal.  In my four miles at midday yesterday with nice constant pacing I apparently had an average cadence of 174.  Probably could work out my stride length based on that but should be working right now.  My watch doesn't have such bells and whistles  :)

Nice you got a free place in the 10k for your marshalling work enrvuk.
  • I, too, may have to watch that video regarding cadence, Cal.

Good luck for the half this weekend, LTT!

Cheers all for the motivational messages regarding the training - plan would be to train before holiday anyway, and can still use the treadmills and gym in the hotel too. Roads aren't too safe for running on (Turkish roads I find are a bit like playing a game of Mario Kart), but still something to keep training with.

Hilly 6 miles with the club last night. Was absolutely knackering, and I was suffering in the last couple of miles - don't think the weather being windy and cold helped either.

May try my first Parkrun this weekend. Not my local, but it's some form of running whilst I am away from my house and visiting others. Supposedly a bit of a hilly one, too. Shall see how it all goes and how I feel on the day - both my legs are knackered and carrying some sort of niggle, so going to rest the next two days and then attempt the parkrun if the legs have recovered a little bit.
  • What watch are you using, Hazelnut? Even my basic Forerunner 25 had cadence and stride length. The 45 does heartrate too but I pretty much ignore that.
    Enjoy your parkrun, Malteser. Which one are you going to?

I did 8 miles again (easier pace this time) - cold and grey out there so I had to talk myself into going again. It's an uphill battle this time of year!
  • Cal - Wyre Forest parkrun. It's about a 5 minute drive from my OH's so fairly easy to get to, just have to pay for parking.