Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Torque:
    I found through my many races over the summer the ones I enjoyed and it was the races put on by small clubs , villages where the profits went back to the club or village okay they are hilly not on closed roads but so much more fun and that is what I want and like.I don't need medals and the like I just want a good race no frills.I have a list of races I want to enter next year and all are along those lines apart from one or two.

I can always give soup to Mr WP if I need something with more substance but i usually find I amnot hungry till later.

That all sounds a very jolly morning at surgery and no reaction to jab excellent news and look at those miles and a  miler as well  great work:-)

There are a few missing at the moment Mick, Ray ,Graham and afew others....
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave : you popped up  and I never saw you.I did not race it was a 3 hr round trip and they moved start time to 1.30pm and did not give enough time for us to get back as Mr WP has his group meeting on Sunday's.Good job as still tired and only ran 4 miles today.BUT I have entered NYE race and a nice 9am start,

Monk ex Swansea manager not very loyal at all not liked down here.

Great mileage we can all build up together I finished on 28 miles as today is day one of my week.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello all,
    I have been more than busy moving house and clearing out all our accumulated junk. We are now back to a new normal except I still cannot find stuff that is packed in boxes in the basement. We do not want to unpack everything as we will be moving again next autumn.

Not too impressed with the weather you are getting, I hope it improves by the end of the week as I will be there.

My running is going well if somewhat slower than hoped for by this time of year. Moving has had a big impact as I did a lot of up and down stairs with heavy boxes and I now have a new set of aches and pains.

I put in a couple of races including a Park Run and a Prediction Fox and Hound run. I ran 28:01 in the latter which was faster than I predicted as I was still having trouble going up and down stairs with sore legs but once I started running felt good and did much better than expected.

Our rental house is 1 km from the start of a Park Run. It is an interesting course as it runs around a large beaver pond with a very tough hilly section. I now use it to walk my dog. It is differing terrain but I would classify it as a cross country run. When I walk my dog today I will take some pics as it is all through wood land and very scenic. The footing can be difficult as a lot of rocks come through in places so you have to stay alert.

TS,
    I too had a flu shot this week but not as much fun as yours, I had mine in the local pharmacy(chemist shop to a Brit). Just preparing as I know what a buggy lot you Brits are.

WP,
    I like your description of your preferred races. Judging by the success of Park Runs I think most runners feel the same way.

While in the UK I was planning to go to a Spurs game but of course it is the international break. Anyway they are playing so poorly it is probably not worth the time and expense. I will try and get a tour of the new stadium though.

Mick
  • Mick
    good to hear from you.  If my experiences of moving are anything to go by you will still be looking for stuff years from now!!
    I know what you mean about stairs and effect on legs.

Good choice of temporary home - easy jog to the starting line - but it sounds a tough course. Do the beavers come out and watch?

Bad/good  timing for your visit re Spurs :) - depending upon one's point of view

you will need your flu protection - one journey on the Tube is an incubus for bugs :(

Welshpoppy
    You will be flying ahead of me very quickly :)
    there are a few races round here like that as well although the Town Centre 10K was switched to an out of town location to suit the grandiose plans for a redevelopment of the old Council offices - which of course have now fallen through -so maybe it will be relocated again.
    I always tried to run it before as it passed my house twice and it would have been rude not to make the effort.  Don't think I can manage 10K just now........

Dave
    pleased you found some good weather for your fartlek - it does make a difference to performance having some decent weather to run in.  Have the floodwaters subsided around your way?
    Another day of extreme gardening yesterday after my huge  ;) run left me pretty knackered and I opted for a sedate pace this morning, through necessity, covering my 4 miles in 40:45 and with an avHR of only 127 and a max of 137.
    Still pretty tired though!
  • Afternoon!
    Time I popped in!

Good to see you, Mick! Sounds busy! What is the parkrun course like in winter? How long are you over for? I, also, had my flu jab at the pharmacy. We don't seem to have chemists any more. 

TS: sounds like progress running-wise. Consistent consistency is everything! 

Am struggling a little to be honest, despite the consistent consistency. On the positive side I ran nearly 23 last week. Kilometres, that is. parkran on Saturday in just over 25 minutes; however today's run was a struggle as since the sacrum fracture my glutes don't seem to be doing the work that they should and the hamstrings are taking the brunt of things. I guess I need to talk to the physio again.

Very wet here also. My nearest parkrun is at the end of my road:
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I ran a parkrun about 2k away which bordered on this field, yet was largely dry even though it is on the Mersey banks:
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick:
    Great to see you have surfaced and planning a trip to UK but as Torque says watch those bugs!!...look slike a good job I do not live anywhere near tube station but any public transport breeds germs.I hope you manage a parkrun as you like them?

Beavers i would love to see photo of any beavers:-)

Torque:
    You are not far away from 10k you ran 5.2 miles the other day so just a mile more and you can run your race.Fancy it goes past your house you just have to run it.

Today 5.70 mile run as I needed to stop at village for milk but pleased with that I know I could have run further but was time poor with kids going to school and comprehensive kids are a bugger to get past on a narrow pavement.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehouse
    at least the sign didn't ban swimming :)
    Still a good return on your parkrun despite limited mileage and no glutes!

I have very cautiously started on some remedial exercises whilst trying not to offend my lower back on the principle that if I can do extreme gardening I can do some exercises.

Welshpoppy
    I don't have that problem with the local school kids - they see a 15 stone red faced monster coming at them and they get out of the way!

There is to me a difference between running 6.2 miles and racing the same distance and I am so slow nowadays I don't think I could face it - particularly as it is a very hilly course!

Just comeback in and it is getting cold out there...................
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    WP,
    Beavers are very entertaining but shy. They mainly come out at night so even though they are very common you do not see them very often. You do see their lodges and dams. The city are not allowed to trap them so when they build a dam which causes a flood the city arrive to take it down. The beavers then promptly put it back. When the city plant new trees the beavers also very promptly use them to build their dams. They partially hibernate, that is they tend to stay in their lodges, so I am unlikely to see them again until the spring. I will keep a lookout for any tracks in the snow. Easy to spot as their hind feet are webbed.

Alehouse,
    Just a bit wet but you cannot blame it on the beavers. What a wonderfully encouraging notice, no wonder the UK has an obesity problem. They could at least have added one thing you can do.
    The course is brutal in winter and is often cancelled. A lot of people use the trail to walk their dogs so the snow does get trampled down and is runable. I have cleats so as long as it reasonably flat I can run it. However as I have got older running in temperatures below -10c is nolonger fun.
    I am arriving on Thursday and will be staying for 11 days. I have two sisters with two children each and lots of grandchildren  who all live in the same area. It is my mother's home town and she was one of 6 so lots of cousins to catch up with as well. Lots of dinners and get togethers planned so will be busy.

TS,
    I plan to spend one day in London so your point about public transport is a good one, lots of hand washing or just wear gloves. I must dig out my Oyster card as it can mount up jumping on and off buses and the tube.

I ran out of my gym today, an easy 7k along the trails as it is still snow free. It was a comfortable -4c but still needed long pants and gloves.
    Mick
  • Mick
    The minimum top up payment is now £20 so make sure you do a lot of journeys!!

I followed your example this morning although it was only -2C here but nice and sunny  as I cunningly gave myself an extra hour's rest, after a brisk Hash last evening of 3.6 miles, with 4 miles this morning in 39:45. Struggled a bit despite the sunshine but an avHR of only 128 told a different story.

And that basically is my ongoing problem - aerobically fit but cannot convert fats into energy when required at the right uptake to maintain performance!
  • Mick:
    They do sound entertaining and so nice to see them in the wild.

Blimey Torque that is a lot of money just to top up a transport card but I guess bus and tube cost's a fair bit in London??

I wonder why that is?

Rest day yesterday as very tired still sleeping 10+ hours and dragging myself out of bed but happy I had energy to run today 1 degree a brisk 6 miles mind you watch told 40 hours to recover! but RHR slowing down just 5 beats up.

Wildlife nothing as exciting as beavers just kamicazi squirrels jumping out of bushes, trees  stopping half way and going back the way they came! Good job I have fast moving feet!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    it does - but an Oyster card just about half's the cost of each journey compared to the normal pay as you go charges. It's a hidden tourist charge for the unwary in London!!

Good 6 miles there - briskly as well :).  the chill in the air helps a bit to improve pace!

Warmer here today but no sun, drear overcast, so it felt damp and cheerless as I plodded round another 4 miles in 40:28 (10:07m/m) with avHR still only 128. Comfortable would be one way of describing it - another would be slow!!
  • Torque
    Goodness good job  youknow all about it and can save money on charges.
    Well done on run no matter if slow you got out and ran :)

Oh it was so wet yesterday bouncing off the pavement so  no run  and I just went out but came home not in mood I will wait for it to warm up as unusual for me not to be in the mood to run.

When the race director mentions the race is not for those untrained and an Ardeous course it made me think............blimey what have I entered ,so if no word of me after NYE I am stuck on a mountain unable to get home.... ;)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy

goodness me!!!  Is that a SAS survival course in the Brecon Beacons :)?
    A CBA day comes to us all - helped by lousy weather!

We appear to have missed the very worst of it - sheltered by the Pennines to the west and the North York Moors to the north and east but it has still rained a LOT!
    .......and it did again last night leaving pavements and paths sodden with standing water amongst the mushed up leaves.  It was so wet in places that my shoelaces became heavy and undid themselves twice as I plodded 4.25 miles in 43:35 (10:17m/m) including time to re tie shoelaces and deliver a birthday card - hence the extra 0.25 mile!!
    That's six days of running in a row for 25 miles although I count my running week totals from Monday to Sunday, but tomorrow is a rest day, all slow of course but a steady plod
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good "keeping on keeping on", WP & TS  

4 miles "mini-fartlek" yesterday, starting in bright sun, last 10 mins a deluge !  A much overdue longer run this morn - my friend needed a few miles, but was time constrained later on, so it was alarm set for 5:45, and running by 7am . .   dark & raining . . .  however, rain eased, although generally dank throughout. Still, mission accomplished - satisfying to write the number in my diary :)   

Dave
  • Dave: 
    Great work on long run how far?

Torque
    Great weekly distance and 6 days on the trot great job :)

Well after 2 days not feeling like running I pushed myself out the door which is not me but Asthma/chest not happy but 2.34 miles it is a start...phew I was worried at my not wanting to run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • The parkrun at the end of my road, before and after:

• So a different parkrun today, opting for the second nearest, as last week. 26 seconds quicker on a course that I got as 5.13k and a friend got as 5.31k. Anyway, I am running! Struggling with weight (at least 10 lbs heavier than July) and carrying all sorts of niggles. 

You continue to be consistent, TS! And I can't run at that time in the morning any more, Birch!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ah, didn't realise I'd omitted the number, WP - 15 miles   . . . .  well done for getting out :)

alehouse - every picture(s) tells a story . . .   nice improvement at parkrun . .  and yes, must admit, as I set off in the dark and rain "whose idea was this" ?  :)   
  • 15 miles well done Dave epic  :)

I was wondering what sort of log you keep? I have a RW log book and a hard backed notrebook for extra data but thinking to make my own in a notebook saves having 3 books for a year.I like data but also thinking maybe I am keeping useless data??
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I use a small "week to view" pocket diary , record miles, time of day, type of session 
    I also have a book with a chronological list of each distance raced (date, finishing time) 
     I used to keep another book, where I'd record a small "report" of how each race went, position, average pace etc, how I felt .  Still have this, but don't make entries now.  

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the sun ever shine here?

Alehouse,
    I wanted to run the local park run but the conditions were the same as yours, flooded. I got out for an easy 5k though.

Spending a lot of time visiting family. I obviously need to come back more often
    Mick
  • Mick
    welcome over here :)
    Forecast is for Canadian style frosts next week so you should feel at home!

alehouse
    very impressive impression of a mangrove swamp :)
    The change in course didn't affect your impressive performance on limited training - well done.

Dave
    15 miles is a good way to break your longer run absence - but 0700 isn't!!  I hope bacon butties were on order at completion.

Welshpoppy
    you are still struggling with the after effects of that virus you had  -take it easy.
    You have to get yourself ready for that SAS course!!

Well big day mileage here  :) - not quite in Dave's class - but 6.2 miles in 62:36 with avHR129 and a max of 142 briefly was the furthest I have run in ages.
    I cut the pace down and kept HR in check - trying to see if I can "encourage" new energy pathways in my body so I don't get absolutely fatigued too quickly and it went ok

10:22  120  130
    09:50  126  130
    10:11  129  136
    10:18  130  135
    10:23  132  140
    10:03  134  142
    01:20  132  135

A bit of HR drift but hills in the last 2 miles meant a bit more effort.  I had cunningly extended on the flat part of my route!
    See how I recover in the morning............
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Torque:

That is so true SAS course here i come ;)

Well done on your run and keeping hR low.I hope you feel good this morning!

Dave:
    Thanks for information I like the idea of 2 race books so will get started on that ASAP saves trawling through old notebooks to find the information.I think I will also start in January A5 week to view diary as found one that will work well for me.

Mick

You need to visit in the summertime!

4.1 miles for me  so looks like I can build up slowly again.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick

are you in central London on Thursday morning?  I have a couple of hours 1100-1300 between meetings and could meet up for a coffee etc if you have fit it in

Welshpoppy
    I used to transcribe all my running data onto an Excel spreadsheet so that I could get the information that I wanted not what the standard Garmin download wanted to give me but I CBA nowadays as it doesn't help me much!!
    Just make sure you are fully rid of your virus before pushing on otherwise you will just weaken again.

beautiful morning here -2C but bright and sunny. Nice to be out as I moved my legs cautiously along 4 miles in 41:06 (10:17m/m) which neatly equated to yesterday's pace as my hill ratio was a bit higher!  avHR was only 126 with a max of 139 so I didn't do any damage :)
    Good to be out today after all the rain and drear conditions previously
  • It was indeed pleasant this morning, TS, and even saw that yellow thing in the sky. Hope Mick spotted it also. Well done on yesterday's longer run, and glad that there were no ill effects today. 10k largely on trails today in 63 minutes with my M74 neighbour: longest run for me since July 1st. Coped ok but might not be saying that tomorrow!

On Saturday evening it was the Uni's XXI Club dinner: the "best" 21 sportsmen and women are elected each year to join the club. Took place at Manchester City's Etihad Stadium. Guest speaker was Stacey Copeland who is a double international: football and boxing. Motivational with a lot of talk about getting out of the comfort zone to make progress: challenge v comfort. I will try to take notice!
    Photo looks a little like three tenors and a soprano, apparently! Friend Chris on the right trying to look like Father Christmas, Stacey with her Commonwealth and British belts, Patrick my GB athletics team doctor friend, medical director of the 2002 Commonwealth Games, but more importantly the former RW Doctor...and on the left myself, looking a little on the heavy side. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Very impressive pic, but you look like politicians.
    Yes I went for my run this morning and there it was, the sun.

TS, 
    Unfortunately can't make any day but Tuesday, as the family have me all scheduled out.

Well I have been here since Thursday and there has already been a car heist from outside a house two doors  down where they broke in to get the key, and a stabbing.
    My wife now doesn't want me to go to London.
    I think I might be safer there than here.

Mick
  • Mick
    Blimey where are you? good luck with London stay safe!

Torque:
    I used to keep a spreadsheet as well as paper diary but stopped using it years ago.I would rather look at paper book than spreadsheet.
    Good news on your run yesterday it all sounds promising :)

I have started  my two race books but the detailed reports are just started from this year.

5.70 miles yesterday and RHR lower again today just up 5 beats  all easy pace average HR 132.Let us see what today brings :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - all my diaries/notebooks from Jan 1986 to date are in here - very low-tech :)
  • Dave: I love it and so old school why did I not think of box file............off to find an old box file.I will have to delve in the cupboard under the stairs where all sorts are chucked...sorry thoughtfully put...LOL
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression