My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good luck with your trail HM,Linton,sounds exciting.I run on the Llangollen canal,you get a few anglers but the River Dee is more popular.

You'll be fine going on holiday and training for HM,Malteser,personally I love running on holiday,I find it gives me an extra spring in my step.Enjoy your first parkrun.

Cal,I'm the same at this time of year,need to motivate myself to get out of the house,but once out I'm fine.Going to have a look at that video tonight.

enrvuk,that's a nice freebie, you should do ok after your HM PB.

5 slow miles yesterday with Polly,left glute sore,so rested today I'll see how it is tomorrow.

• Had a look at the video Cal - interesting stuff.  Not sure if I'm a glider or a gazelle, will look at a few pics. I have a TomTom, it records cadence but not stride length.  Know what you mean about getting out of the door..

Good luck if you go to the parkrun Malteser.  If you are likely to be doing that one again you could just trot around this time to look at the course and get familiar with the setup.  Then you could try improving your times on other occasions.

Good luck for your HM LTT.

Hope the glute is feeling better JD.

10 miles yesterday afternoon taking in a local undulating route.  Legs felt tired on the uphill stretches so I took it easy trying to run at long run pace or effort.
  • Did the Wyre Forest Parkrun today just to keep me ticking over for the weekend - had to prise myself out of bed for it though! 

Set off wayyyyy too quickly...did the first km in 3:48mins!!! My usual time is around 5:30min/km!! Needless to say, I paid for it in the remaining 4km.

The course is very muddy and hilly through the Wyre Forest, a lot say 'undulating' but there are some nasty hills in there - including a steep hill in the last 500m known as 'Cardiac Hill'!! Had just enough fuel in the tank to plod up that bad boy of a hill and cross the line in 26:05 (according to Strava - official time to be awaited) but that is a new PB for me over 5km! 
  • Official time of 25:30! Came 53rd out of 217 runners, 48th male overall, and 2nd in my age category (M25-29). Age grading of 50.59% - no idea what that means so time to find out I guess!
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Brilliant run Malteser, a cracking pb and a good placing. I wouldn’t take too much notice of the age grading. It’s essentially a comparison to the worlds fastest time for someone in your age group. It would be done on the flat, not a hilly muddy parkrun course. 

This bodes well for an even quicker time on the flat and dry!

Good luck with the glute JD. hopefully a day of rest did the trick. 

Linton hope the half goes well. 

Sharing the grey weather struggle with you Cal. Hope today’s parkrun went well. 

Just a couple of shortish runs here. 

• There's a few parkruns with a Cardiac Hill - I know Heaton in Manchester has one and they even have a sign for it! Age grading means percentage for the distance PB for your age. I usually score high 60s (I've had a 70+ once) but then I'm 52 so it's a little kinder for older women. And yeah, for a muddy hilly one, you'd expect a lower score.
    Drizzly parkrun at Greenwich today (it's actually not in Greenwich, although it's in the Borough of Greenwich - it's really Eltham). Tunde (the friend I made at South Norwood) came along and I was also surprised by two clubmates, Ed and Cathryn. Ed's a speedy sod (he came 2nd) but Cathryn kept me company on the way around which was nice. The park is really nice but it's a tarmac/grass course and the grass was muddy, so glad I had trails on for this. Nipped in under 26 (25:50) which I was happy with as it's also not flat - it's not hilly as such but there's an incline and it's a three lapper so it feels a little bit worse each time you go up it.
    We had coffee after so it was quite sociable, which was nice.

• Well done on your parkrun Malteser, that was a very swift first km.  Certainly more PBs to come on a good course.

Like the social side of your parkrunning Cal.

4 recovery miles yesterday evening. Today a rare double. In the morning around 3 miles with some people from my Tuesday group as part of the new Saturday session (stength, coordination etc, a short run and some stretching). Then another 5 miles this afternoon in nice weather.  Altogether 3 runs in 24 hours - oops. Nothing fast though.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Brilliant run Malteser,that first km was definitely a lung buster,bodes well for the future though.

I watched the video Cal,I'd say I'm more of a gazelle but on long runs it does change to more of a glider.

Cal/envruk,I'm running Bushy next weekend,would you run in trails?

Nice double Hazelnut.

5 miles yesterday and 6.80 hilly miles today.Hopefully I can do 10 tomorrow,which will be the first time I've been in double figures since Chester.

• JD, the start's on grass, then it switches to hard trail. I think I would after all the rain.
    Well done on your triple, Hazelnut!
  • Rather strange run for me today. I wanted to do 15 miles so got up early, went through my usual routine including mobility/glute warm-up and got outside. Everything felt a bit clunky and niggly and it took me 6 miles to get up to an acceptable pace - bar the second mile, which was normal easy pace, the others were all around or just under 11 minute miles. I figured my stride must have been very short because cadence was fine, and that indeed was the case when I looked at my data afterwards. A year ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it but now my normal easy pace is more like 10:15-10:30 and what I class as easy/steady is 9:55 - 10:15. I only ever run 11s now if I'm recovering from a marathon or running up a monster hill, neither of which was the case here.

Anyway, I ran to Brockwell Park, which was very misty. Encountered a man riding a scooter while exercising his husky, and he nearly came a-cropper as the husky darted in front of him, wrapping its lead around the man's ankle and tipping the scooter over. How he managed to stay upright I don't know.

After getting up the first hill inside the park, I had a weird moment on the downhill where I felt quite relaxed but my legs seemed to speed up on their own which took the rest of me by surprise and left me flailing my arms like the husky man. No idea what that was about, it was a bit strange.

Then, at the bottom of the hill, two little dogs, one of which had three legs, decided to run and bark at me, so I had to stop and shout at them before continuing. I decided only to do the one lap of the park and make up the rest of the distance on the return leg as I didn't want to encounter them a second time.

I did manage to get back to more normal pace after 7 miles but I had niggles everywhere - both knees, right groin twinged a couple of times, glute/ham was aching, even achilles had a small moan (after being quiet for weeks), lower back ached and my colon was giving me worrying sensations, despite having been serviced earlier. I made it through the 15 miles though and plopped myself into an Epsom Salt/mustard bath (I got the mustard bath powder from a quaint apothecary in Yorkshire - supposed to be good for aches).

No idea why my body was so grumpy today but I daresay it'll benefit from a rest tomorrow.
  • Well done on the 15 Cal. Maybe you are going down with something? Take care and enjoy the rest day. Mustard bath sounds interesting. Haven't had a bath in years, could be an idea to indulge in one. I do have a tub.

Did you do your double figures JD?

Hope LTT did well in his HM.

Busyish day here, out before proper breakfast for just short of 12.5 miles. Slightly foggy and coldish at 2-3 degrees but I had got the clothes right. Easy WU over 5 miles keeping my pace down to long run level. Then a km progressive to build to 5 miles at what should be my MP. That again felt tough work.  Remainder CD as much as you could call it that back up the hill.  Late brekkie and then a trip around the local lanes, tracks etc with OH on the MTB for another 14.5 miles at a rather pedestrian pace.  Good conditions, worth going out again.  Also looking forward to a rest day tomorrow.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    We well done on getting round Cal,made me chuckle reading it.Enjoy your day off tomorrow.

Nice run Hazelnut,very jealous.

No double figures for me,not even a run.Just didn't have time,had a list of jobs around the house which kept growing,might have time tomorrow for a short run hopefully.Gutted!Have a trail HM in the first week of January,starting to think I'll be underprepared .
  • Hi folks, a happy post from me!

I've loved my first year running, and have, with training, been able to cobble together some half-decent 5k/5mile/10k/10mile times, but all my half marathons have been a pretty crap!

I've done four since summer; a nasty hip injury, a bad knee, a cold, a 30c day and just not enough endurance have all put pay to decent times, best a sedate 2:14. This weekend I planned to change that!

My weekly long runs with intervals are really starting to pay dividends now and I've turned some sort of physiological corner recently, I'm finally getting a bit better!

The Brett Owler is an awesome event, starting in a stadium, then a lap of a lake that housed the British record carp, then off into the countryside for maybe 65% undulating road 35% bridlepath/trail. A great course, but tough!

At first I was crestfallen as it was soo muddy (ankle deep at times) but after seeing the frontrunners splash through the flooded field and disappear, well, if they can do it!

I was slow as anything down the trail sections, 10.5 min miles, trying to stay upright! but about 9's on the road sections. At mile 8 I felt OK, so decided to try and run the rest at 10k pace (about 7.5/8 min miles for me) I was running at full effort, and even managed a brisk lap round the track (although was asked if I needed medical help afterwards as I needed a sit down! lol)
    Time, 1:57:58, a PB by a whopping 16 minutes!! Really pleased as it's taken a bit of work to get under 2 hours, wonder what I could run on a road course? (maybe a good bit faster, maybe not) I even got a free race photo! last event of the year for me and a happy day's running. RIP my trainers though, they were white! Also blisters, oh the blisters!

How much is "too much" talking in races?, I'm naturally a chatterbox some seem to enjoy the interaction, some less so.

Hope you get out soon JD! life can be so relentless! At least with running you can go at odd times of day and night, plenty of time to nail that trail half!

Cal, great running, interesting video, I think I'm a glider too, in fact you can kinda see it in that picture! could you recommend a Garmin watch for Christmas? I hate niggly runs like that, 15 miles though! go you! That's my next hurdle. Sounds like an unusual long run?

Great training and running Hazelnut, I've improved a lot since I started having a plan, so will continue to try and have some form of structured running. I must get a bike!

Great Park run Malteser, always enjoyable, I know what you mean about reigning it in at the start, easy to get carried away!

Have a nice evening all.
  • I didn't feel amazing today, true, but I've already had one cold so can't imagine I'll be getting another so soon. Felt well enough to go do a little work at the gym, then saw my physio who treated my sore spots with his elbow. Felt a bit better afterwards.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice one Linton,that's a massive chunk off your PB.You'd definitely take it lower on a fast road race.You judged your pace well,having enough in the tank to have a faster second part of the race.You've come a long way in the past 12 months of running,well done.

Hope you're feeling better Cal.

Just a 4.75 mile hilly run yesterday evening,tried to push the pace where I could,feel better for it.

• Much better run today - opening mile was a normal easy pace so I went for the progression run - 7 progression (up to MP, which feels pretty fast now) and 2 recovery.
  • Glad you felt better on your run today, Cal!

6 miles last night at steady pace, my goodness did I feel achy during and after it. Felt less energetic, and as if my legs were made of stone. Got through it in the end but certainly wasn't too comfortable.

Thinking I may need to do a few more 5km's and not so much middle distance, but I'm unsure. Left knee is starting to hurt, as is my left hip, so I'm probably running a bit funny
  • Malteser, I'd go to a physio. There's probably something tight on the right that is causing you to load up your left leg. I have the same issue, but the other way around.
  • Well done LTT!  Great improvement on your PB.  On an ideal course (road and flat) you can expect to take some more off of that.  Like the pic too.  Regarding chatting in races - as long as I am feeling good in a race then I might talk a bit myself.  10k and below I don't have the breath though.  I guess you have to consider that other people might not be feeling good at the time you are or are out of breath and might not feel like replying.  

Nice running Cal, JD and Malteser.

Rest day on Monday and out with my group yesterday evening for 9 miles.  A small group it was - just 3 of us.  + the 70+ guy, who does a shorter round on his own.  Worked quite hard on the hills - it wasn't me who was pushing the pace but I felt up to the challenge.  Last day of dry weather, in for a spell of wet and windy now.
  • Well done Hazelnut. We've had rain most days this Autumn so everywhere is like the Somme.

Today was supposed to be a MLR but after a couple of miles I became aware that there were passengers in the departure lounge who had missed the earlier sewer cruise, and spent the rest of run clenching like a catholic altar boy. I did manage 6 miles before the situation became critical, but I'll have to do the MLR tomorrow instead. Shame, as it was actually nice enough for a T-shirt and the sun came out after a mile or so.

• Nice way of putting it Cal :)   Shame indeed that you couldn't benefit from the nice weather.

5 miles general aerobic at lunchtime yesterday.  Decent weather here too, lightweight long arm top rather than T-shirt but capris.  Adding a few tweaks to some standard routes to stop them getting stale.  10 planned for later in the rain.
  • I got 11 miles done early this morning - not nearly as nice (well, it was dark, cloudy and there was a bit of rain at one point, though I didn't mind that, it wasn't heavy). Pace was a bit erratic - I was running in the dark for most of the run and I think I naturally shorten my stride on the less well-lit roads it's harder to see where I'm putting my feet. Anyway, it's done.
  • Quiet at the moment on here..

10 miles yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain.  I think I put on 2-3 kgs in absorbed water until I got home.  Good thing it was mostly dark so I couldn't see how nasty it was. 
  • Great running Cal and Hazlenut! Nice long runs. Know what you mean about the rain Cal, it seems to have rained everyday for about a month! the rivers here are bursting their banks and some roads have flooded. The sun is out now though.

Since the race I did last weekend I came down with one hell of an unpleasant virus, so much so I had to have a couple of days off work and couldn't even get up! God I was rough, slowly on the mend now, but I'm going to miss a full weeks training at very least, which is very annoying.  Is that likely to affect me much? I'm supposed to do 14 miles sunday and I couldn't do 14 metres today.  Still at least I didn't miss my race! Still happy!

Will missing a week affect my mara plan much?
  • Not for a week, Linton - just take it easy as you ease back in.
    Rest day and gym today for me.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi all, had a few days off with what I presume is a sore IT band. Eventually I took ibuprofen (I rarely take pills) and it went quite quickly. I'm checking if a physio is covered through work health insurance, but I need to bite the bullet either way.

Great half marathon LTT, you will smash that time on a flatter course, but you might get bored! You've come a long way.

Good runs everybody else, Cal well done on avoiding an unplanned alighting. 

Having got over the soreness managed an okay 7.5k today and have a 10k race in Regent's Park on Sunday morning
  • enrvuk - tight IT band usually stems from tight hips and weak glutes, so I'd work on that. Ibuprofen is not a great thing to take for runners so don't make a habit of it.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal, wise advice. I have a physio phone consultation on Monday and then on to a face to face if needed. So hopefully that will sort it. I did read a lot about it and there is a lot of conflicting advice. Going to leave it to the professionals.

Zero chance of me taking the ibuprofen regularly, but as someone who almost never takes pain meds, I was amazed at how well they cleared up the pain after a few days on just a couple of doses. I can see how it could become habit forming!
  • Hope it goes well, enrvuk.

Cold and foggy here this morning - had to break out the base layer for parkrun. Today's parkrun was Wimbledon, which I've been avoiding for a while because it's muddy (they also take all day to do the results so I probably won't get an official time until tomorrow.)
    Opted to tube it to South Wimbledon rather than take the train (a few stops but with a change at Clapham Junction) as it's warmer, even though it's a little further away, so ran three miles from there to the common, did the parkrun and ran three miles back again.
    Tunde came along - it's his 64th birthday today so we went to the cafe after. It's a very nice cafe with a lot of cakes including gluten free options, but I abstained as I knew that would not sit well in my stomach for the run back to the station. They were serving hot spiced apple juice, though, so I opted for that over coffee and it was very nice.
    The parkrun itself is very busy, and very muddy, so my first mile was quite slow as there were too many people around me for me to find the best route through the muddy bits. I picked up a bit after that - my old trail shoes actually did OK but I still had to be careful as there are a lot of rocks and roots as well as a few puddles that could have done with a lifeguard.
    Garmin said I ran it in 26:50 so not a fast time for a flat course, but it never was going to be on that surface and with that many people.
    Two runs left to complete Lon-done. Next week I have my club's 5K track meet instead (with mulled wine!) and then I'll be heading up to Roding Valley to meet a friend, which doesn't count for Lon-Done as it's on the outskirts but it is on the tube.
    Walthamstow will be my next proper London run at the end of December (another muddy one, as it's three laps of a football field - not the most exciting), and I aim to finish off with Canons Park on NYD, since I can pair it with Gladstone which is a few stops down the tube line.
    I'll have to find something else for the 21st.
    Anyway, exercise done for the day - I can relax!
  • LTT if you are getting over a virus then I would take the first few runs easy. You won't have lost much fitness in a week.   It is good to have a couple of week's extra planned in for mara training for exactly such a situation or other reasons you might not be able to get out. Don't try to catch up on what you might have missed.

Good luck tomorrow envruk.  Hope the IT band allows you a good outing. Good attitude regarding ibuprofen and good idea to get yourself checked over.

Good planning for the parkruns Cal. Shame you couldn't indulge in cake but the apple juice must have been good too. Hope you have enjoyed a relaxing day.

First LT run for me yesterday evening, again in the rain. Ran up and down a stretch of tarmac as my standard loop was muddy and I didn't want to risk a fall on the corners. U-turns weren't ideal but I was happy with an overall pace around HM PB pace. Those few missing seconds can wait. 

Today second week of training by a guy in my Tuesday group who is doing a coaching course.  The speedwork he had planned was a bit tough after the LT run but I kept the effort sensible.   Warm-up then 3 x 5 x 30 +20+10 seconds at increasing pace with 5 mins between sets followed by a cooldown and stretching. Also had done around 1.5 miles before the session to loosen up the legs.