P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• That weather will make a man of you, hamo. Love it! Pretty impressive MLR in those conditions. 
    I must try that podcast, AWC, I keep on seeing it recommended. 
    Joe that’d be great. 1230 start. I assume it’s a fairly nippy field and course? Nice one on the coaching course. At our tri club there seems to be quite a close correlation between people doing the course and then massively improving their own ability, representing GB etc. Good running from you - a lot on tired legs. 
    Cheers, TR. We’ll see. The recent 5M was fairly good, so there is hope. 35:53 PB (from when we met at the lightening fast Chichester race in Feb), definitely won’t be troubled. But I’d be delighted to get in the 36s. I think it depends on whether the heavily reduced mileage freshens me up, or the continuation of it starts to have a detrimental effect. 

Unfortunately a very disrupted night and morning meant I couldn’t team up with spoons for Wednesday hills today, but did squeeze in a lunch session. 7 x 2:20ish hills. 10M at 7:30 total. Slower than the previous two weeks, but a solid session nonetheless. Might stop timing things completely 😆 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    SQ - chichester is indeed a tear up. I remembered your sub 36, so hopefully you'll be quicker than 37. Im in again for 2020........i did 38.2X at stubbington and then 37.59 a few weeks later at chichester. My 81 min sunday was approx the same pace as stubbington, so a decent bit of progress in 10 months. I should go a bit quicker at chichester next time.
  • Wow. Continue that progress and you got a sub 37 potential at Chichester, TR. 
  • Decent efforts in there Joe. Was the triathlon coaching useful?
    That's a solid 15M Hamo.
    It's just like a nasty graze across the whole front of the big toe, it's bandaged up so you're safe from pics just yet SQ
    Steady 5M along the canal at lunch backed up with a hilly 11K after work.
  • SQ - yeah, relatively fast course, with the advantage of having a lot of other runners around you to cling on to. Don't worry about the times for now, just get out there and enjoy it when you can.

Jools - yes and no. Some helpful bits, but felt a lot like jumping through hoops and ticking boxes rather than developing skills. Got to start somewhere though and gives more credibility if you're offering 1-2-1 coaching which I currently am...

Swim this morning, easy run after work. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Is that the level 1 coaching course Joe?
    Great analysis of the “cheat” shoes. Cheers AWC. No disrespect to the man but I already felt Kipchoge’s achievement was tainted, now I’m sure of it. Glad they brought up the Pistorius ruling too as the IAAF’s refusal to do anything about the 4% struck me as inconsistent straight away. Could it have anything to do with Coe’s long association with Nike? Very interesting about the leg length & running economy correlation hence the growing stack of these clown shoes.
    Cycle commute & a lunchtime track session today. 6x100m strides to open the legs up then 6x400m off 100m walk. Toe still rubbing & painful. Swimming tonight so the bandage came off. Apologies to those perusing this over breakfast/lunch 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: Eurgh that toe!!! I can tell your not a fan of the shoes and I've been very sceptical of them as well. Listening to the podcast the data seems pretty conclusive now that they are making a big difference. I had totally misunderstood though - I thought it was the carbon fibre plate working as a spring that produced the 4% but they are saying its the Pebax foam & stack height that produces the energy return whilst the plate provides the stability to be able to run in them. If I'm being honest I'm tempted to get a pair and see what they are like.
    What I found interesting was that the IAAF banned high jump trainers over a certain stack height & the stack height seems very important to the functioning of these trainers as it allows the angle of the carbon plate in the shoe.
    What are other people's thoughts as I know quite a few on here use them? Do they make a big difference and what do you think about the morals of wearing them?
  • Joe...That is a big 24 hours. Good luck with the parkrun blast.

SQ...Yea, i perversely enjoy that kind of weather. Nice lunch session, esp off a bad nights kip.

Jools...Wow, that a shocking looking toe. Fair play to you for not only running on it, but knocking out intervals too, looks wile sore.

AWC...I have a pair, and if i'm honest, they just feel like a fast shoe when you are wearing them if that makes sense, placebo or scientific, its a nice feeling. The next %s especially feel quite springy at times, but just feel class when you are running at speed. Morally, i haven't really though about it to be fair, but it is noticeable that at the start line of any (i was going to say major, but minor runs too) event the vast majority of people are wearing a version of them.

6 mile recovery yesterday, followed up by a 13M MLR this morning. Debating Parkrun tomorrow, but think i might skip it, as the legs feel a bit tired and don't wanna push my luck.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Jools - I cannot unsee that now! Does your running make it worse? Take it easy, don’t want it to put you out for longer than necessary. 

Joe - building nicely for Valencia, am sure you’ll have a great day out. 

Hamo - that’s a rapid return and some nice running. 

AWC - as Hamo said they are bouncier shoes but for me the benefit is not so much making you faster, rather you feel less tired towards the end of the race. Other brands are bringing out their version of foam+plate shoes now so I suppose the field is being levelled to some degree. 

A week of all easy runs, may try something a bit faster this weekend but there has been too much smoke haze here in Sydney to run much outside. Also hard to get motivated without anything on the horizon
  • Jools - absolutely grim mate. Just as I was eating my porridge  :D it was BTF level 1 - quite basic but got to jump through the hoops.

The shoe chat - I've got the 4%'s and was bought a pair of next %s for my birthday (although quite ludicrously I probably won't crack them out the box until next summer). I think the biggest benefit is the quicker recovery after wearing them, although undoubtedly they are making people run faster - no question. My view is, as long as they are accessible to everyone to buy in shops, I think it's ok.

Putting it on the line here so I have to be held accountable. Going for it at parkrun tomorrow. Legs fatigued so it won't be optimal, but will throw the kitchen sink at it. 17:40 is my best time in the last 24 months, would be thrilled with 17:45 or thereabouts. 
  • Joe - great stuff on the coaching, I think that’s right up your street.  I ran for a bit last week with a lad aiming to qualify for the Worlds 1/2 IM. It was his 1st 50.....he comfortably pulled away from me 🤣

TR - thanks. Unfortunately SL wasn’t there, his course record remains though, different class.

SQ - well done on getting out and doing it, bound to be a bit slower if you’re not chasing RSR up the hills😀.

Hamo - sounds like you are back in the groove.  Agreed, we are in 2 gloves territory, although it seems to have warmed up a bit.

Jools - I’ve always wondered what it looks like under a nail......not.  Yes, I did the WW50 in 2016 and each year since, still chasing the sub 9, just waiting for Nike to bring out a cheat trail shoe🤣

John - those fires are on the news a fair bit over here, terrible. Hope you can do something.

AWC - I’ve started listening to the podcast but not finished yet.  I was in two minds about them last spring.  I now reason that if they are available to all and within the rules then no problems, just evolution, compare bike technology. Interestingly I set my half Pb in a pair of Adidas racing flats and the Nike assisted marathon Pb lines up in terms of VDOT calculation.  I’m sure they are worth something but I trained hard, lost weight, carb loaded, took beet shots so after all that it’s difficult to quantify the effect.  I would say, when someone has done everything else, get them,but get them in a sale !
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - yuk.

I have avoided the shoes up until now as after some injuries i wanted to get back to a decent (for me) level without them. They do mess with my moral compass a bit, as i see it as mechanical doping. There are strict rules on bike wheels, and they stopped the swim skin suits, so maybe some rules will kick in. But they cant take the shoes back from the masses now, and other manufacturers are developing their own. So i will get some for 2020. There were loads on the road at Abo and Gosport, some ahead of me and some behind. I used to think i had to be good enough to justify them. I see plenty of sub elites in them  and wonder how their existing sponsorship deals go along with the Nikes.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    John - Good luck in the smoke. Hope it's not affecting you too much. My sister is up on the north NSW coast. Fortunately they've been ok but they've got a water pump and hose at the ready. 

Jools - I've beaten up my feet a fair bit in the past (blisters, punctures through the shoe, lost toenails) but nothing like that. That's horror movie level.

Joe - Well done on the coaching. Just the first step I imagine. Like Macca says, it seems a good fit for you. I liked your session on tired legs - if done right I've found they help me enormously.

With respect to the shoes, I'm not convinced it's made that much difference to Kipchoge. He ran 2:03:05 London 2016 without and 2:02:37 London 2019. I know it's only 2 races but I think both had good conditions and in both he was pushed most of the way by competitors. Hard to know really but I would guess that by 2019 Kipchoge was a better runner than in 2016. I think yes they make a difference, but automatically taking off 2 minutes as they suggested in the podcast might be a stretch. Hard to compare in Berlin as his best pre-vaporfly time was 2:04:00 but he ran most of the way with his insoles half way out of his shoes, flapping around his ankles.

I've got the 4%s. I don't feel any faster in them but I've run big half and marathon PBs since getting them. Having said that, the half was the first time I've been properly fit on a reasonably fast course and my marathon prep was far better than I've done previously, so it's hard to separate the effect of the shoes. 

If I could chose, I'd probably wish they were never invented. I think the thing lots of people love about running is the simplicity and that you don't have to worry about technology, like you do in cycling, and these shoes seem a threat to that. While I do love the simplicity of running, I don't feel like the shoes change that for me at all. I can see it might be different for professionals. 

I do also worry that Nike has too much influence over athletics - dodgy ol' Seb Coe with a building named after him on the Nike campus in Oregon. Despite not liking Nike, the whole shoe technology issue doesn't actually bother me. If you feel good running in the shoes go for it I say.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll get myself a pair and see what they are like but I'll wait until next year when they're hopefully a bit cheaper and probably just keep them for racing road 1/2s and marathons.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Interesting chat on the shoes, having participated in triathlon and Golf in a previous life I`m a bit conflicted. In some ways technology will always be there but the Nike`s seem to be helping a large number of runners to PBs this year.
    I wore the Zoom Fly on Sunday at Gosport and found the carbon plate acted differently on the tarmac compared to extra bounce on concrete. i`d love to try a pair of the next % but think I need to be a bit closer to 2:45 to deserve them. A couple of clubmates were trying to encourage me on Sunday by shouting out that i needed to overtake the bloke ahead in the green shoes.
    I`m going to have my annual autumn visit to Southampton parkrun tomorrow to to judge my 5k fitness, haven`t had a proper blast for a couple of months.

TR, Stubbington should be good for a tear-up I`ll actually have a proper taper for this one and if in good form will be aiming for something beginning with 36. PB is 37:14
  • I'm not sure they will get a helluva lot cheaper AWC. They'll keep bringing out new models claiming marginal gains each time & raising the price tag each time.
    I know far too many local club runners who've been running for 5-10 years who've suddenly smashed 5K/10K & HM PBs in the past 12 months since buying the 4% &/or Next% for it to be a coincidence. I'm talking runners in their late 40's through to mid 50's who have been my competition in local races for the last 8 yrs who've knocked 2-3 minutes from their HM times. For me it is mechanical doping pure & simple. If I were to set a new PB wearing them it wouldn't feel right so morally I'm out. I won't judge anyone else for choosing to wear them as the competition are all wearing them meaning GFA & BQ times will all come down too not to mention the possible prize money for some. The improved recovery sounds particularly attractive as it will allow for fitness gains to be made from increased training volumes/quality. This is the argument used against between competition doping. I'm probably just too tight to fork out that much for a pair of trainers I'd wear out in a month or 2 :D
    Easy 10K this morning then a progressive TM session at lunch 9K increased speed each K from 12.1-14.9kph for the first 8K then a cd K decreasing the speed.
    I too will be giving parkrun a blast tomorrow but I'll be nowhere near 18:55 which is my best this year :'(
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agree with HA, Nike hold a lot of power, they attractva lot of bad publicity too. The shoes seem to be just some of their issues which attrsct moral judgement too.

Millsy - nice. My quicker 10k days are probably gone (35.5X), but I'll attach my elastic to you and try to keep up. If i can run quicker at 10k, then i can run quicker at hm, if i can run quicker at hm........
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Corruption and putting winning before athletes health should trigger your moral compass. But buying some expensive shoes that make you a bit faster doesn't hurt anyone. I can't see it's a big deal for runners at our level.
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    Good timing on the shoe chat. Interesting pod, too. Thanks, AWC. Picked up a pair of 4%s last night in an early Black Friday sale. Still well beyond my usual Adios budget but thought I could get some use out of them in London in April, too, if I save them for races. But I agree with HA.

Will give them a runout at Valencia next weekend. Target for which is now upper 2:50s after a torrid autumn training block - putting up a couple of blank weeks recently. This was all influenced by a pretty rough time on the home front. Our 2yo found himself in intensive care for a week at one point. He’s ok now thankfully but running has been a distant last in priorities in 2019.

My mate who lives in Valencia got us tickets for Valencia Villarreal on Saturday night, so I’m looking forward to that.

Joe - from what I’m seeing you’re looking at a possible 2:45ish (?) so I’ll leave you to it. I won’t be much help. And I’m not sure the 4%s will either... I’m a stone heavier than last year’s 2:45 in Berlin, too. I’m in the 2:30-2:49 wave so maybe see you in there. Would be keen for a beer afterwards.

Hope all parkrunners smashed it this morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair point HA. I reckon ill be purchasing a pair for next year.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    16m saturday, 10 yday. Time to get dome training in aftertoo much tapering and recovering.

4% are £146 on nike wesite. I made the purchase.
  • John...Hope it improves for you all over there, shocking from what we've seen on the news.

Joe...Hope the parkrun went well for you, fair play on the accountability.

Millsy...Same sentiments as for Joe, hope the parkrun went well.

Jools...Nice progressive treadmill run, and again, hope the parkrun treated you well.

HA77...I'd agree with all you said there about the morals of the magic shoes for our level,, hence why i haven't gave it much though at all, they aren't harming anyone really.

DCT...Sorry to hear of your tough time, although it's great to hear that your 2 year old is OK. All the best for Valencia, just enjoy it.

TR...Good weekend of running, and congrats on the new purchase. I hope, and am sure you'll love them.

I skipped parkrun on Saturday, opting instead for a 10 miler with 2x(8x 100 strides) and finishing the last 2 miles at roughly Tempo pace. This was backed up by a 22 miler down the towpath on Sunday morning in bang on 2 and a half hours. I left the house at 6am on Sunday, and ran down a brilliantly dark and peaceful tow path, with not even a dog on it, was bliss. Obligatory junior parkrun with my 4 year old followed, and brought my weekly total to 90, so happy to be back at my usual mileage and the ankle seems to be completely healed.

Quieter week this week, in anticipation of the planned 10k race on Saturday, so a 6 mile recovery run was the order of today, this morning.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That’s a decent weekly mileage to be back at hamo, glad the ankle is ok.

good luck to those racing in Valencia, it’s definitely going on my to-do list. 

My parkrun time wasn’t quite where I’d hoped to be. Same course last year I did 18:04 but on Saturday could only muster 18:13 hopefully it’s just due to tired legs from all the racing and higher mileage weeks than compared to last year.
    Did a muddy social 19 miles with a few club members yesterday where shoe chat was involved. The chap who’s house we went back to for tea and flapjacks has just purchased the next % so I got to try them on, they did feel fast. 
    Need to work out my Autumn 2020 plan ASAP, undecided on whether to do the Autumn 100 or go back to the Chiltern Wonderland 50. 
  • Millsy - always hard to judge off just a parkrun. Loads of variables in the mix and I still feel like it's hard to access that mental edge when most of the time you're there just enjoying it and chatting with friends. Still a good marker and you can have another crack whenever if you're not entirely happy.

Big weekend Hamo, where's the 10km?

TR - What we building towards now, London?

dct - sorry to hear training hasn't been going brilliantly, but more importantly hope the little one is ok. Still unsure what kind of shape I'm in, 2:45-2:50 seems achievable but you never know. Loads of us heading for drinks after, you should definitely join.

I finally feel like things are pointing upwards. No taper but a hard effort at Dulwich parkrun on Saturday. Really wasn't sure what to expect but was hoping for something south of 18 minutes. After a shoelace dilemma caused me to nearly miss the start (surprise surprise), I set off a bit too eagerly logging a 5:19 opening mile.

There was no way I was going to run 16:xx but I managed to fight off any massive fade, with 5:35 and 5:37 leaving me with an OT of 17:31. My fastest time for over 2 years and I'm convinced there should be plenty more to come. Annoyingly my watch measured it at 5.15km, so I thought I was on for quicker, but you can never trust your watch with these things. That time was good enough for 22nd (!) with the winner logging a casual 14:00 - should've dipped at the line.

Backed that up with a pretty tough 90 min bike session on the Sunday followed by a progressive run off the bike for an hour, which actually felt great.

Not expecting miracles in Valencia, but this has encouraged me to give it a good effort there. 
  • That's a very promising parkrun Joe: be sure to lace those trainers up properly before Valencia. Pretty sure it's easier to hang on in a 5K if you go out too eagerly. Speaking of which a clubmate was racing in a county vest for the 1st time on Sunday at the Gloucester 10K. With a PB of 33:51 set only a few months ago (in the Next% of course) he clocked a 5:04 1st mile then a 5:11 before the inevitable fade. He held on remarkably well in the circumsatnces for a low 34 finish.
    I did Barnstaple parkrun which was 2.5 flat laps in a figure of 8 so lots of overtaking on to slippery grass, turns & a narrow section with runners in both directions. Didn't stop the winner getting a 3s PB in 17:01 with 2nd in 18:20. I clocked a so-so 20:32 for 11th with each K being about 3s slower than the previous one. I slept poorly after cider & curry the night before but was certainly hoping to be quicker. I'd even got there early enough to do a 2.5K wu & I did the whole thing again to make it a 50M week for the first time in 6 months! This (& another extremely late night) killed my incentive to run yesterday though so carded another zero.
  • TR - that’s a good shout thanks, tempted but I’m hoping to get at least another year out of mine (race only).

DCT - good to hear the young un is ok. Hope you and Joe enjoy the weekend.

Some decent parkrun’s their Joe, Millsy and Jools.  Joe - 21 runners sub 17:30 sounds like very fast field.

Hamo - impressive weekend double, sounds like the injury is behind you.

A slightly underwhelming (for the effort) park run for me Saturday so I was quite pleased to come down with a cold Sunday. A tick over week this, then the 18 week plan starts Monday, can’t wait.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - back on it like a car bonnet.

Millsy - pretty sharp, I'll have to get my legs spinning to keep up at stubby.

Joe - good to see you sharpening up ready for Valencia, your mojo is just in time. Vlm next big race for me, but hopjng to ho sub 80 at worthing or fleet. Havnt been under 80 for a few years, but its doable given recent performances.

Jools - tough weekend there !

Macca - ill be keeping them for racing in too. Im going to do the 18week plan for vlm, which gives me 4 weeks to fill, so im doing weeks 1 to 4 and will then start again. Hopefully it gives me a buffer for any illness, injury or taperng for build up races.

mlr monday was back, with a wet 12m tonight.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Macca: hope you get over the cold for the start of the 18 weeker! Are you doing Manchester marathon?
    TR: good job getting the MLR done in this weather
    Jools: I'm sure cider and curry had an impact on the parkrun time. Nice 50mi week
    Joe: glad to hear things are pointing upwards again - nice parkrun, and good luck for Valencia!
    Millsy: If you got a decent day on the A100 I think you'd smash that course as its very runnable, even the hill sections , compared to the SDW100
    Hamo: glad the ankle has healed up again
    DCT: good luck with Valencia (and the shoes)!
    HA: I have to say I like your take on the shoes - so much so that I've ordered 2 pairs of the 4% for £145 each in the Nike sale. I'll be returning a pair but getting a 9 and a 9.5 to see which fits better as Nike do free returns. I'll try them on a few MP runs but mainly keep them for my half in March and marathon in April to see how they go.
    I'm still just ticking over at the minute and enjoying the relative rest although I do have a marathon on 7th December - Salisbury Plain Marathon so it won't be fast as its off road and hilly and I haven't done much specific MP type work recently.
    All this talk of new year training plans has got me thinking about next year. I've got Southampton Marathon at the end of April so I think I'll do a loose 18w P&D plan. But I'll do longer, hillier runs at the weekend apart from the MP runs which I'll keep in the plan. I'll also do a lot of mid week hill work - the idea is to tweak the plan to prepare for the ultras as well.
    I don't know if it would be better just focuisng on one or the other but Macca certainly seems to smash both at the same time, and I enjoy both types of running.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    AWC - they are 125 now, i just bought another pair. Ydays will be returned.

10 inc LT 4 today. 4m pretty much as hard as possible on a windy day only came in at av 6.33, not much quicker than Abo. But i guess its the effort that counts.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I’m late to the party, but OMG Jools! Well done on last week. You’re getting there. 
    Regarding the shoes, I’m a fan, but am sick of the endless podcasts about them. Can’t escape it - at least on my playlist. I’d echo HA’s thoughts. Pretty much my feeling. I’ve PBd in 10k, half and (very slightly) marathon, so they work for me, but if you told me they were banned I’d be fine with it. But as I like them, I’ve signed up to the Nike app in the hope the Next% get reduced on Friday (although Black Friday in general makes me heave...). I see 4% are a relative bargain at £146 at the moment. They have, however, opened up another branch of shoes for me. I’d now like some general mileage trainers with that level of cushioning. And at a cheap price! Can anyone recommend anything?
    Woah, dct. I’m sorry to hear that. Here’s hoping everything is ok. 
    Great week, hamo. That long run sounds genuinely blissful. I really hope to take my daughter to junior parkrun in the new year. Just trying to careful to ensure it’s her idea...
    Great parkrunning Millsy and Joe. Classic JB with the shoe laces. Double knot for Valencia? Are you not tempted to whip out the pink beasts, so to speak?
    Macca - wow, 18 weeks until London? That is scary if so. 
    AWC - wear them on one training run at most. The magic is in box freshness!

Pleasingly, I somehow managed a 60M week. Having a late work do on Thursday enabled an afternoon 16M at 7:09 pace. Sunday saw 8M with 15 x 1min hard/1 easy. A good fartlek type session when track etc aren’t an option. 
    I’ve been continuing with short weight sessions as well, focusing almost exclusively on the legs. Unfortunately, I think the rugby days (15st+) and muscle memory are kicking in. The upper is bulking up well beyond marathon needs! Feeling a bit tired this week, so sticking to 5M a day max, before Friday’s LFOTM 5k.