Sub 3

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Enjoy Bilbao, Menn.   Couldn't give up beef, in my mind a superfood. 
    RJR - 8m will be fine, I will often do a fast 5 or 6m (mp - 15 secs) the Sunday before a marathon to mentally prepare, in effect saying OK this will hurt, but next Sunday will feel easier.
    Out now for a run and hopefully a 10K segment c40 minutes. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    RJR - 8m hmp is probably worse than 13m mp, but you wont be able to run 8m hmp in training anyway.

OO - how did yr temp go?

My stomach/groin issue was still sore to run on Wednesday, but 36hrs rest and some doses of ibuprofen meant last nights run was much more comfortable, so 10m last night and 10m this morning.

Hope to get started on P and D next week and commence operation sub 255.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    LMH - have you started training to HR yet? Have you had the assessment yet? Will be interesting to see what changes they recommend.

I looked back on my racing yr the other day, Sundays 81min was more or less the same pace as i ran at stubbington 10k in january. So thats a nice bit of progress.
  • Not sure I'm going to do the assessment TR. I'm running and wearing my HRM but that's as far as I've got at the minute. You shouldn't be running if you need ibuprofen to make it comfortable!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    LMH - oh thats a shame. Didnt take it to run, took it to settle the issue in the off time between weds morning and thursday evening.. Sunday seemed to flare it up after all the post Abo easy and minimal training. Hopefully once i get going next week everything adapts.
  • TR - Thanks for asking. 10 miles with a 10k a shade under 40 minutes over a very wet, puddley and sometimes undulating trail so very happy with that, sometimes 6.40s and then 6.20s when flat.  The taper is in sight. Feel could do with another week of faster training or the magic shoes and since I don't have a time machine looking like the magic shoes as feel I need a few minutes to sub3.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - decent run then, given the conditions and course. I have seen a few price drops for the shoes. I have a 15% sportshoes voucher. Message me if it would help. The 4% are advertised at 167 on pro direct (but they are often gone when you look closer on there).
  • I shall stop worrying then TR  :) Just don't have the motivation to spend the money on the test/invest in my running at the moment - had a great holiday then FiL was hospitalised the day after we arrived home and is still in. Do you know what it is about running  harder that sets it off so that you can work on stopping it happening?

I'd struggle to do that in a 10k road race OuchOuch - you sound in good form to me.
  • Nice run OO - if that kind of run felt OK I would have thought you'd have the sub 3 confidence?

I went to scope out the local parkrun for the first time today within my 7 mile run. Jogged around in about 21 minutes. I had thought it was a possible PB course but now I'm not so sure. It's a 2-lapper with people running opposite directions down a narrowish path. So on lap 2 you have to overtake slower runners but running headfirst into others. It doesn't seem to stop people clocking times in the 16s and 17s but it's not ideal.

Had a good stretch and roller when I got home and legs feel nice and loose now. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks LMH & RJR - I normally would feel a bit more chipper, but normally I would average 65 mpw with 5*20 milers but due to my hernias, the last 10 weeks have averaged 45 mpw and with tomorrows 20 miler would mean 3 run.  Should be OK though as hoping the fastish marathons in my legs and muscle memory will come good and my sub3 streak will continue. Another 10 wet squelchy ones this morning and took a peek at the Malaga webcam, blue skies and sunny - bring it on.  B)  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - no point doing the test, if youre not really up for it. Would be good to find something that would give you a different stimulus though.

OO - theres been plenty of rainy running recently. Did you make the purchase?

16 for me today, seemed a long way, but probably more that it took a long time.
  • Well, vicious weather out here - hope its settles for all racers tomorrow. Theres too much to eat and drink over here. Bleeurghh
  • Enjoy whilst you can Mennania.

I'm sure the cumulative campaigns will see you right OuchOuch.

I'm struggling with motivation at the minute to be honest TR, not to run but to train, all seems a little pointless with everything that's going on and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Damp here today but I only did ten, planning a long one tomorrow if I can find a route but whether that will be sixteen or twenty I'm not sure.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - running rather than training is fine anyway this far out from vlm. See where you by February. But the life stress is an uncontrollable anyway, you just have to try to reduce stress in other areas to balance it up. 16m is fine at the mo too.
  • Brass is what I feel I should be training for TR but you are right about the miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That is a 1/2 ? Im sure you're doing enough for a 1/2, although you mean you would like to be doing some specific training for it.

10m here, ive spent too much time tapering or recovering in the last 7 or 8 weeks. I need to get some training in. Worthing 1/2 is about 10 weeks away, i want to get under 80min there (if the ususl gales stay away).
  • Yes, mileage is fine for a half TR (I did seventeen today in the end) but I feel I should be putting a bit of effort in somewhere but am lacking the motivation/mental strength to do so.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    LMH - Just keep on running, the mojo will come charging back soon enough. 
    TR - not yet,imminent , pink magic shoes not sure if the best of looks on a new to be V55.
    Menn - Be interested in your thoughts on Bilbao/ San Sebastian as a place/ marathon as one for the future. 
    21 miles done and dusted. Bit of a slog as  second 20 miler in the week and also went a bit off-grid into the woods. So that's the longer stuff done just got to get some more fast 5 mile sessions sorted now over the next few weeks and ready to go.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - 17 is more than fine for now. You never know,,if you try to do some sort of session or tempo run, it might help take yr mind of other matters. You dont have to smash it.

OO - good one on the 21. Agreed, can't see myself in the pink or brighy green. Might have to hold out for some blue 4%. I dont need them until February.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Nice long effort OO, hope the hernia isn't too bothersome in the last weeks of the wind down.
    LMH.. sorry that life is still proving a pain for you, hope the training helps to clear your head.
    TR.. the 'fingers crossed' for light winds applies to the Brass half too.  It was blowing a hooley on race day last year, the day after it was so calm you could drop a feather vertically.  :/
    I finally relented and entered Barca again, must have spurred me on a bit as 57m banked this week.  11.2m today to revisit double digit runs, cloudy but light winds.  Bit of a contrast to yesterday - went along to a wet, windy & waterlogged Park run then added another 6m onto that to give me 9m for the day.
    I see Jess Piasecki (nee Coulson) won the Florence marathon today in 2:25.29.  Splits of 74.31/70.58 were pretty impressive!  She has now gone 3rd on the UK all time list behind Paula & Yamauchi.

• Running mojo is intact OuchOUch it's doing more than that that's missing if you see what I mean? I actually like the pink just don't have the cash to splash.

I think that part of the problem is that if I put the effort in and don't get the results it will make me feel worse TR.

Cheers Wardi. You won by the way - just 2.5lb gained in two weeks of indulgence and that's fast disappearing:-( Nice to have Barca to look forward to.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice one re barca. Fingers crossed for a still day for brass monkey then. Hopefully its the same day as worthing. Big -ve split, but it shows she has more potential to realise.

LMH - ha ha, we're tslking about finding a bit of training mojo not results. Although to be fair you've got a better chance of improved results by doing something different, doing the same things should give the same results.
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    No I think you're misunderstanding TR, I meant that if I did say some intervals and couldn't raise the pace/HR it would be demotivating.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Oh i see, you are worrying too much. Sinply do some distance or time trying harder, you dont have to measure stats from it. It takes a bit of getting used to anyway, so would need a few sessions.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - 4% are £146 on nike site. Im in.
  • Wardi - I've got great memories re; Barcelona - really want to go back. And Coulson's time was unbelievable - what a run!

Ramping up nicely OO, good to see.

After a bit of a torrid time over the summer with both my physical and mental health, finally starting to really enjoy myself again and see some of the old me coming back. Had a crack at Dulwich parkrun on Saturday, and ran 17:31 which is my fastest time for over 2 years (30 seconds or so off my all-time PB). The winner ran 14:00 !

Valencia marathon this weekend, so that's instilled a bit of confidence for that, but still seeing it as a rung on the ladder towards next year. A rather vague target region of 2:45-2:50 sounds reasonable. Hoping to see TT and Dan out there at some point. 
  • Nice to hear Joe.

That's nearly tempting if I knew which size I needed TR!
  • Looking good Joe. Checked out your blog today and really enjoyed the London Marathon review. Spotted Ben Parkes I think in one of your photos. He ran around with a gopro and the noise out on the course sounded incredible. Haven't done London since 2009 but seems to have got even better since then.

TR - real tempter that. Sounds like they can be pretty limited mileage though? That's what worries me about splashing the cash. Wouldn't mind if you could get 4/5 cycles of a week or so build up and then the race (be it marathon or half-marathon).

Knees still giving me a bit of jip. Niggles in this training stretch haven't appeared to be run related but generally flare up if I stand up at an awkward angle or sit down for too long. I guess it could be secondary effects from a lack of stretching or foam-rolling having knock-on impacts on muscles or joints but it's not immediately obvious. 4 miles today at over 8 min mile pace. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - whatever size you normally buy. Im a 9 in asics, saucony or nike. If they dont fit swap them, i think its free returns as well as delivery.

Joe - race day only (plus the odd mp run), the magic has limited life, although you can use them still when its gone.

Mlr monday is back (just about), with a wet 12m.
  • RJR - I'm with TR on race day only for the 4%s, the rest of the time I'm in Hokas or Adidas Bostons.  That said, unless you're doing big miles in race week I reckon they'd be good for 5 marathons easily, possibly more.