Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bus, TR (great Gosport btw) and SG: Actually was 30'44 not 30'49 so a little bit better; misread my gun time as chip time; nice to have a few more secs off and will help in the v50 5 mile ratings a couple of places too. :)  
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Small world, Pete! I worked in primary schools in Whalley Range from the mid 80s for 25 years, and yes, I have done the old first Sunday of the month 5ks in Alex Park. The course is faster now as the paths have been resurfaced and are better than the vast majority of roads around here! There is now a 5k series in June, on 4 Thursday nights. They do clash with other series though: don't know why every series seems to opt for Thursdays!
    When I am running well I train in Alex Park as it has a variety of accurately marked posts: start, 300 metres, 400 metres,  800,  then 1 to 5k. Bizarrely (or typically) parkrun doesn't take advantage of any of these marker posts. s Nice vegetarian/vegan cafe too, as it would given the Chorlton Border location! 
    Pleasing run for you today! And you will look back on today's run, MattH and reflect that it wan't that bad, stitch costing a fair amount!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Aley; small world indeed, I was at English Martyrs on Alexandra Road but before your time teaching; my Mum taught there but she took early retirement in '84 so prob just missed overlapping with you even if that was one of your Whalley Range schools. Chorlton was never posh or trendy in my day btw; with watering holes like the Feathers and Royal Oak how could it be ;)
  • Tidy result at the 5mi there Pete! Sounds like a strong field, and even better with gaining a few seconds from the chip. There's something missing from your report though... no parkrun?!

Good work on the long'un Bus. Is there a hillier and muddier route you reckon you could find? :D

Thanks all for the comments regarding the race; as Aley said, upon reflection it's a good runout, but you can never help being a bit disappointed if you don't meet expectations!
    Not sure what caused the stitch issue, I've had it before trying to go downhill too fast and after a water station - which could have been what happened here.

I've had quite a few races recently, 7 since mid Sept, so it'll be good to have some time to focus on training. Nothing really stands out until mid-late Jan (Tavy 5k again, and a sub-18 attempt), and then Newquay 10km beginning of Feb.
  • I knew English Martyrs of course, Pete, but taught at St. Margaret's and Manley Park. Think Paddy Heneghan was the head at EM when I knew it. The area has changed considerably: I lived in Whalley Range in the early 70s and the demographics are significantly different. Chorlton is now trendier than my Didsbury patch, where the other Royal Oak is my own watering hole.
    And apologies for boring everyone else. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Matt; of course there was a parkrun for me yesterday but only a 26'xx jog around Maidenhead mudfest with my daughter. I didn't feel it worth boring the forum with that (instead choosing to bore them all with childhood reminiscences pertinent only to those with a detailed knowledge of inner South Manchester primary schools ;))

Aley; yes we could prob talk for hours! May even try and do LFOTM as would be good to meet you and Simon, but not sure I can get the time off yet.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse said:

And apologies for boring everyone else. 

There's no concept of that on here with some of our (my) waffling :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6 this morning, 7.30 average. Finishing looking like i'd been swimming again.
    Temp shows 94-95% humidity in Slough for next few hours. Yep, felt it!
  • Great racing Matt - still a solid result and time over what sounds like a tough course. Take the rough with the smooth and just keep building one brick on top of the next.

Pete - also great to see you back racing. Standard sounds really high if you're not placing in the vets cat. Hope to see the upward trend continue.

SG - Good to also see normal service resumed with you. I reckon we'll see you back in the race mix sooner rather than later.

Simon - was talking to someone about how it blows my mind how HHH have been around for 130 years. Long time that. Hope the dinner was fun. 

I've actually got a low key turn out to report! It's been a while. Scheduled in to have a hit out at Dulwich parkrun - extremely un-tapered with 42 miles covered between Tues-Fri but dusted off the short shorts to give it a bash.

Decent conditions, light drizzle, bit of wind. Opened up with a ludicrous 5:19 mile, before clinging on and logging 5:35 and 5:37 for a 17:31 OT. Annoyingly, my watch wasn't measuring the distance correctly, so I thought I was on for a comfortable sub 17:30, but watch ended up with 5.15km. Not saying it's long, just saying I was lulled into a false sense of security. Although, not sure it would've changed much, I was flat out.

17:31 was good enough for 22nd (!!), with the winner logging a casual 14:00 (!!). 

Valencia marathon this weekend. Might be slightly fitter than I thought, but not expecting any heroics. 
  • Ale - You can bore me some more Friday. Are you running off with your two women after 2 pints again ;)

MH - Good effort and congrats on the vest, shame about the stitch, god knows how many of the blighters I've had over the years, most famously taking HHH from 5th to 6th on the last leg of the Southern road relays one year. Idiot!

Pete - Good race then at Hatfield. Had a look at the results, the winning M50 I know well, Steve Herring from MK, great guy and ran 2.36 in Frankfurt too recently. The Wolverton 5m is still better on results, but it's dead to me now it's on a Sunday. My tempo was on the Wolverton course, reminded me how knackering it is.

Only 8 miles yesterday. Some real ale the night before at the HHH dinner left my guts a bit gripey. Don't think the tempo and 5 hours sleep helped either tbh.

SG - You'll be dropping United soon. I can feel it :wink:
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Joe - I follow Ben Shearer on strava and his comments made me look at the Dulwich results. Normally I feel quite happy to stand quite close to the front of a parkrun startline but in this case I would have been run over!! I'm very jealous of your outing in Valencia, I really enjoyed it the time I ran there. Have fun.

Simon - you avoid racing on Sundays in a Chariots of Fire kinda way? If we were a similar size we could share a pair of pink Nike!!

TR - hadn't had a chance to comment on your Gosport run. Not at all bad in the big scheme of things and when Abo was the big focus. I think you can be content in the improvement and look for a sub 80 in the spring. I don't think I am going to risk Worthing again after last year's weather (it's also quite a trek for me to get there) but it has to be a super quick course on a still day.

Pete - you're astonishing really. I went to look up the results on RB, didn't find them but did find that you have a 16-7 lead on me in the head-2-heads. You've probably never looked before (I hadn't) but it's amazing how many times you and I have finished within a few seconds / places of one another in local events.  

SG - on the club mate with the targets. It's a big jump, I mean he'd have to go from being nearly 12 min behind me at the Windsor HM to likely beating me in the spring. We're about the same age too so it's not like there's a youth element either. Don't write it off though, it's very brave to put your targets out there like that and it's probably quite motivating (although not in a way I would like). 2 targets a long way apart though too: sub 3 / sub 80. The latter being significantly harder imho ( I haven't done that, grr).

Fond memories of the Royal Oak in Didsbury, not boring at all!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Wool - the targets seem to be more about round numbers then any sort of thought - although PO10 used to have those as their standards for HM and M.

Back in those days, you didn't even get your time on po10 unless you'd hit a 16.45 5k, 28.00 5miler, 36.00 10k, 58.00 10miler, 1.20 half and 3.00 marathon!

I remember coming back from Victory 5 once, having a great race there but hitting 28.05! Didn't go up!

By the time I came back the next year, to hit 27.56, they'd loosened it so all could go on there :D  

But those times are all over the place. 16.45 the hardest, which I never did, 28/58 the next toughest, then the 36, 1.20 and 3 (once you're used to the challenge of the marathon of course!)

I think i'd have advised the big man to aim for sub 1.25 if anything or even better like I used to, just "Know" you're fitter and enjoy the ride without number pressure.
    I think all of my pbs under Moz were that "Knowing" feel. When I knew I had to hit a precise pace it could very quickly drift.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joe that's an epic standard at Dulwich! I've looked at quite a few results at random every so often, and although you often get a few sub 17s, you don't usually get anywhere near that depth!

I would like to see the easy pace come out a bit quicker, as it seems to centre around 7.30 or so at the moment, albeit whether it's a 4 or 12miler...but the overall progress has been pretty clear the last 9 weeks.

0-0-3-20-27-46-53.5-58(ish?) - 65.5

The last week having 2 sessions too, albeit low key stuff.

Feel a bit hungry right now after a 6 & 4 today, so plenty to eat, plenty of sleep, and come out for something like an 8 or 8.5miler, starting at steady ending as hard as feels right tomorrow...or alternatively, to the track for a certain number of threshold miles (continuous)
    We'll judge it later!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - no chance. I supported United before Wycombe, and you don't just ditch a team. Like you won't ditch Bournemouth when Howe goes and you inevitably fall back to the championship/league 1 ;)  7 years of season tickets now! Obviously the comedy is that's post Fergie, but it's still a good trip whatever the football is like.

May well do less games up there, but that can be life, vertigo wiped me out for ages, so i thought i best book most of 2019 games out elsewhere!

Wycombe are on the verge of something very special this season though. But we all know things can change quickly!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wool - gosport was solid, ideally id have been a minute quicker but i fared pretty well out of those that did abo and gosport. I think my 82min 4 wees before Abo was a better performance given the course and no taper.........the worrhing logistics are good for me, and if its windy i can compare tge time to 2019 and 2018nwhich were both windy.......i have improved through the year though and am getting back towards where i used to be. Gosport was run at the same pace as i did a 10k at in january.......i bought some magic shoes today too. So thats a bit more help to run sub 80.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Cheers Wool, but if I ever was at your level (doubtful as most of my head to head 'wins' prob parkruns you weren't trying in!) I certainly am not nowadays.

You cruised past me early at Maidy and the last Yateley 10k we did together and are in the 80 mix for HM these days. I would happily take 85 right now even if fully fit. 

Good luck with the magic shoes TR; sure they will help you towards sub 80. Did you go for 4% or the new Next%? I see 4%'s now 'only' £146 on Nike website. What's the consensus on here over whether they're worth buying at that price, given they are no longer latest model and their durabity seems atrocious (and supposedly Next% is a fair bit better)? 

Just entered LFOTM but don't know if I'll be able to do it work wise. Would be good to meet Aley and Simon (including for the beer after!) if I can, but may be thwarted by work stuff. Only £3 in so bit of a throwaway. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - i bought 4% for 146. If i keep them for racing the next% will be hopefully reduced by the time i need some new ones. Ive never had a current model pair of shoes yet.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    146 sounds a lot better than 209.95! Is that all sizes and colours?

Might have to tap up a pal with an insider relative!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - the availability isnt as good as it was first thing today. Dont hang about.
  • Wool - Just a bit old school. I suppose it comes from the cross country. Race Saturday, few beers, Long run on Sunday. Sunday races I twiddle my thumbs all weekend, then it's over and back to work!

SG - Hey no need for that - although yes we are on extended leave in the PL though I agree ;) Although you are allowed to downsize to a smaller club - that's allowed. I'll actually be OK if Eddie leaves. Might be the time for a change - which might be forced on us anyway. He'll always be a Bmth legend whatever.

PeteM - Praying that work will be OK for Friday - be great to meet you and have a beer etc..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Simon - true say... I wonder if Wycombe could emulate your boys,  probably silly talk, but our owner's mission is to get us to the championship, do us up, and who knows - then someone with serious wad might come in?!

TR - I've hassled my work pal up, to see if she can hassle her family member up!
    My card gets blocked trying to buy Nike stuff, as apparently there's a tonneload of fraud with them! Had to get Wool to kindly get them last time...

They just about have some 12s in the alternative orange and black tick! We'll see

Just seen Matt L on fb say the Leeds Abbey 10k has been declared short! Not by much, but that's a kick in the a-hole! And unforgivable from the organisers. Quite a lot of this sort of stuff in those northern races for some reason.

Was aiming to do a 6-7 mile steady job in an 8 or 9 today, but after plodding 2miles warm up feeling a little on the knacked side, and thinking this'll be awkward to find a decent route, I looked up to see a lovely marked out footy pitch :)

Therefore it seemed a great opportunity to do some diagonals, like I'd done pre vertigo.

This time, a proper marked pitch, rather than the way too short version I did last time.

Picked 20mins, and my word that feels a long time "sprinting" the diagonal and jogging the base line.
    About 2.8miles worth in that time though, and 7.5 all in.

Good pressure free little burn, nothing too fast, but wearing road shoes on an increasingly slippy pitch with half an eye on a guy in a golf buggy who i wondered if he'd tell me to get the frig off the pitch, and also an Alsatian not miles away, it was plenty :D 
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

interesting that Simon, I suppose that it's how you've grown up with this running lark. I always find Saturday runs tough - finish work Friday, flop, few beers, eat badly, run crap on Saturday! One of the better runners in our club is a vicar, she is very limited in the events that she's able to run and has to go through some kind of special process to get allowed out to run in large events like VLM each year!

From time-2-time I think about trying to get down to Dulwich or one of the other faster parkruns but then I remember what I wrote above!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Running hard on saturday mornings is certainly an ask and a half!
  • Wool - Yes been this way for 20 years nearly. As I don't do many road races, all the xc and track is generally on Saturdays. Although it's true that I have ran well on Sundays. I suppose it's wanting Sunday morning to do the long run that influences it too. You just need to be good Friday night!

SG - Interesting times for WW. Clubs near London may well have a better chance of investment than others I feel. We only got Max and the Russians because our then chairman (remember mouthy Mitchell? - offering out the fans and swearing on R5?)) was building his luxury home in Sandbanks for him and persuaded him to invest in us!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Definite pros and cons to our location. It definitely helps with player recruitment, as imagine the issues Plymouth, Carlisle, Hartlepool type clubs can have at times. 

I'm sure our new owner specifically mentioned being a short drive from whatever airport he comes in at too.

However, on the downside, you're competing with shedloads of bigger clubs, whereas some of the more "outpost" clubs can keep their real youngsters, due to the 90min travelling rule under a certain age. Although some clubs try and bypass this by setting up centres well outside their area!
  • Good afternoon all. Life has and still is a bit full-on for me at the moment. Running has taken a back seat. Averaging about 10 miles a week, which means some weeks no running and the odd 10 or 20 mile week. Cycling to work though and doing a couple of sessions a week at home as opportunities to go out are few and far between. At least I can't get injured this way. I have just entered Wokingham though so I better get some running in and get some weight off.

Might read back, might just jump on-board from here :-)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevie - i had problems getting my card accepted today. They have dropped from 146 to 125, so i bought another pair, seeing as its free returns.....probably be reduced again tomorrow!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info TR; I've gone in for some at £125. Hope a) they prove a bit more durable than my 1st pair and b) I can actually stay uninjured for a while to get some decent races in them! At £125 doesn't feel too bad a price having paid £189 a year ago for the same shoe; certainly less hard on the wallet than the £240 required for the Next%
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one TR. Unfortunately my Nike 3rd hand contact can't help, as he's done his budget for the month. And his budget would basically be 2 x this price!

I'll monitor and if they drop one more time, say to £100 i'd leap in.

I probably have a year of racing in the first pair still, so managed have the miles been!!

£125 is certainly quality compared to £210!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So two variants went down to 125 and then went back to 146 quick as a flash!

Apparently there's a 30% code knocking about, but as they're now out of 12s, with midget sizes seemingly always available, that's my interest finished!