Sub 3

Comments

• Can't find them TR - I've probably missed the boat?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Google vaporfly 4%. Go on the nike website.
  • Do they not take a bit of getting used to? Maybe depends on what you're wearing the rest of the time? I hear good things about the HOKAs apart from the burning feet!
  • Thanks CD - typically I have two size options as a UK 6 in running shoes - should I err on the side of caution and go for the slightly larger one?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - how does that work, 2 different size 6? Order them both, return the one you dont want.

10 inc LT 4 today. So pretty much 4m as hard as possible, tailed off badly in windy last mile or so to av 6.34.  Thats not much quicker than Abo pace. I guess its the effort that counts. Onwards and upwards.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    LMH - I saw that on the Nike site - bizarre.
    Joe - 17.31 cracking PR, sets you up now for Valencia.  The weather looks great there, admittedly for post-race cold beers than the race itself. 
    RJR - Hope your all set for Nottingham.
    TR - Nice work pre-work.
    Similar session here, 8m inc a 5m progressive 6.51, 6.40 (1st 2 into the wind), 6.22, 6.19 and 6.13, felt pretty good and "reasonably" comfortable.  I will look to repeat on Thursday and Saturday to get some quicker miles into my legs. 
  • @CD I've done 66 miles in mine, over 4 races and wondering if they are starting to lose a bit of spring. But that could also be I'm a bit used now to their different feel.

@LMH I toyed with getting a 1/2 size bigger but glad in the end I stuck with my usual size (11 1/2). At £147 that's a bargain - tempted to get some and put the box in the cupboard till I need the next pair.

9 miles dodging puddles on the towpath today, including 20min@MP out, 20min @MP-10sec back.
  • Hi Gang
    OO - Bilbao is great for a few days - casual, chilled and inexpensive - glas of wine about 2 euro. Spent the day moving from bar to bar having pintxos and beer. Happy days - Didnt run SS due to injury but met up with a 2.28 first time finisher who thought it was a little slow - several hairpins etc.
    VF4% - I use mine for two races and take them back to nike who to date have exchanged them quite happily if they are showing severe degradation - which they do.
    LMH - Try doing 10 mins of 30 secs on 30 secs off and see how you feel, no clock or time stress just effort for half of it. I always find that a nice run to get myself h]going again.
    Go well at the weekend Joe - glad to see your back on it
    Im going to get to 50 this week and then back on it myself - no symptoms or issues for a few runs now so rehab is almost over. :)
  • So I've gone ahead and bought the VF4%s. They've been further reduced to £125 and I got another 10% off through my work's benefitting together so vs last weeks's price I wasn't far off getting them half price. I'm still a bit sceptical about the durability of them but I think it would be justifiable to return them if you couldn't get at least 100 racing miles out of them. So thanks Menn for alerting me to that above! And thanks TR for alerting us to the offer in the first place!

Did my P&D style dress rehearsal today. 3k relaxed, 3k at MP, 3k relaxed. Garmin was giving out funny pace readings early on. My aim was for three 4:10s but the first was in 4:04. I'm convinced having done a 21 min parkrun in the same place on Saturday that I was certainly not running that quickly!

Anyway. It's on to the carb load now which suits me just fine as I love bread!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Just heard up here that the Leeds Abbey Dash times have been annulled due to the course being 23m short.  It was a slightly revised route this year so the re-measuring seems to have been cocked up.  Shame considering the status of the event. 
  • That's not good Wardi.

Carb loading is my favourite part of marathon running rj:-) I hope I can get a similar deal (minus your work's 10% unfortunately :-) on the shoes, I was beginning to think I wasn't supposed to buy any as I tried this morning and again this afternoon only to get an error message and be told to call Nike for help which I eventually gave up and did - only to be told that because I had been unable to buy through the website they couldn't put an order through for me for 24 hours..........hopefully that will have worked in my favour when they call me back tomorrow. I've decided to order both size sixes as it's free to return them.

Good news Mennania and interesting about Nike exchanging the shoes. Thanks for the input, whilst running this morning it struck me that I think that I've just lost my confidence and I was considering doing some one minute on/off intervals - but opted for an extra four miles instead. It's not running mojo that's missing, maybe the ability to hurt myself?
  • Ahh the hurt locker - it is a place that becomes more habitable the more time you spend there! Just turning the legs over quicker for either 30 or 60 secs will definitely give you the taste back LMH. Jump in!

Carb loading - i was in a pharmacy the other day waiting and happened to read the nutritional value of Farleys Rusks! They look like awesome carb loading fodder!!
  • I loved Farley's rusks when I could eat wheat :-)

It would be nice to have someone to run with now and again that I could do a bit of work with.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good spot Joe.

I just ordered another pair, ill send ydays back. 

I struggled to get todays payment through too LMH. Stevie G said he cant get his card to work on there. My bank wouldnt let my card through at first today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    When they drop to £99 tomorrow, ill send todays back.
  • Fingers crossed TR. I'll be annoyed if they sell out before I can get any now though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Youll be ok as you only want tichy sizes.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Joe - Your VFs are a bargain, are you going to debut them at Nottingham. I seem to have bought 2 pairs today so that's my marathon shoes for the next few years sorted, or maybe forever taking Menns tip. Cheers for the heads-up TR.
    Menn - Thanks for the review. LOL about the hurt locker so true.
    LMH - Running with someone for the faster sessions will really work. 
  • No feels like a bit of a gamble as I'll only get them Friday. hoping I've got enough in the tank as it is to sub 3 and then I'll save the shoes for another leap forward in the spring. I say the same everytime but I'm hoping to put a better training set together next time to really do them justice!
  • It would if I had a suitable someone OuchOuch.

How much do you guys run in the magic shoes prior to racing in the m for the first time? In the past I've run at least one long run in my proposed marathon shoes but I'm guessing I'm not going to want to put the miles on these.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The foam is lifed, so whilst you can run in them for 100s of miles, you need to save the race day magic. I will do build up races in them and the P and D 20 inc 12mp.
  • I do one sharpener session - normally 400s or 800s and one mlr in them before a race. 
  • LMH - mine had 3.1 miles on them before I wore them in London.  They've only ever come out for races since then (a 10k, 10M, HM and one more mara).  Apart from some scuffing around the heel they're as good as new.
  • So much shoe chat going on!

Championship entries opened 10am this morning, for those of us lucky enough to have a time. Hope to see lots of you next April. 

Last hard work before Valencia, 12 x 1 min hard, 1 min steady this morning. Not going for much of a taper as it hasn't been a full-on training block, will just see what the weekend brings.
  • Ah the benefits of not doing many road races - no 4% dilemmas :)

It's like contraband - I'm impressed with the organisation going into the buying though. Good teamwork boys and girls!
  • 2.5 miles and a good old stretch today in the pouring rain. May do some strides on Friday but then again might not. One thing I am taking seriously is the carb loading. It's tough but someone has to do it.

Looking like sub zero temperatures overnight Friday and only just above freezing for a 10.15am start. Who'd run a marathon in November? On the plus side it does look dry and lacking in breeze. 
  • We seem to have had a collective VF4 feeding frenzy yesterday. It was on my mind so much, I dream't I was running in them, good news they felt great.  I do dream in colour, as recognised the blue ones I ordered.  

RJR - As long as you keep warm for the first few miles, and maybe take some gloves with you, in my mind those are ideal running conditions for fast marathoning. 
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It was the likely temperature (and being familiar with HPP) that mostly put me off joining you rj.

Just checked and it looks as though if you don't have fairy feet you're out of luck - and the price has gone back up to £146. Hope they will let me buy them for yesterday's reduced price.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - they are 102 today. ADDON30 at checkout (although it might happen automatically) i nearly bought a 3rd pair this morning but they didnt have blue in my size.

P and D said 6+5 double for today, i dont want to do doubles, so will do anywhere between the daily min and max depending upon available time and energy, i did the full 11 today.