Overdone it?

Comments

• Muddy, great pb on 5k, smashed it 

DT, after a few posts unsure of race conditions well done on a pb and sets you up for the 10k  B)

Skinny great to see you posting and running  :)

Still putting the miles in over the past few weeks, 12 on Saturday slow, 9 tonight with some sort of progression run.

Lit, XC nice and easy  :)
  • Blimey, I didn't realise it was broken down by year too. I will parkrun a bit over Christmas week so if conditions are good may have one last ditch attempt at a podium place.

Rest day today.
  • > @literatin said:
    > No no I definitely am slower, as a result of doing literally no training for months. Been a bit busy. However I nominated myself xc captain at some point so still have to turn up!

<3 Nice to see you - perhaps you could relaunch yourself as Literallynotraining
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Keep at it Kevin ! Glad you're enjoying xc Lit.

I've just been letting my legs come back after the hard weekend - forgot to mention I ended up on 53 miles last week with 13.5 miles on Sunday including 5 km around threshold effort (18.36 over mostly mud). So kicked off the running week with an easy 10m yesterday lunch, muddy stuff round the reservoir again. It felt like I was working on endurance as I don't do many runs over 10 miles generally. Looking at a 6+4 easy double today and tomorrow, and then tapering miles over Fri/Sat ahead of my very muddy, hilly MT race at the weekend.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin said:
    No no I definitely am slower, as a result of doing literally no training for months. Been a bit busy. However I nominated myself xc captain at some point so still have to turn up!
    Howdy old pal! How's tings?
    I too am supposedly going to be a "captain" for my lot this season, albeit "Joint" with another chap...

So it's very awks that I haven't actually made any of the XCs, and don't plan to anytime soon...although my "vertigo" wipe out excuse is starting to wear thin when I'm doing stuff like posting 32.5miles in 3 days like this week :)
  • Hi everyone

Sorry to hear about your vertigo SG but sounds like you are still managing to run plenty so can't be that bad.

I managed to enjoy a 10 mile run again yesterday (3 Sundays on the trot). Pleasing as the 'long' run on a Sunday is what I've been missing.

Cheers, Skinny
  • Great news Skinny !

After a week in which I had some warning signs about overdoing it with some aching across the top of my foot and a heavy cold, I added in an extra rest day and dropped a couple of the shorter runs. So a 42-ish mile week in the end, starting a little taper for the 3-1-5 Lancaster Half (which is more than likely to be flooded by the looks of the weather forecast) 

Yesterday I did my local muddy hilly trail race around threshold effort and finished 12th at a canter.  I was going quite well closing in on 8th and 9th, but stacked it into a pile of nettles (the prickly sort). Oh the stings and arrows of outrageous fortune ! :D  This happened shortly before reaching the stream crossing (pic below of me attempting to walk on water) and 3 others got ahead of me. I did manage to take those places back but got outsprinted by two of them at the finish  :# My whole body is aching today, except the top of my foot which feels fine !

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's good news, Skinny.

Sounds fun, Muddy. I noted on the results those from your club, after the club name it has in brackets "(RIE)", what is that for?

I have been less adventurous, posting 50m which is decent after a 10m race. Did a track run Friday night as the race course remains flooded and given the weather since Friday and pending, it looks set to remain that way for a while. Easy 13 yesterday to round off the week.

Another decent week planned this week then taper for Telford 10k.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Skinny - was awful, but much improved now, as it is 2months on, I am still using it as an excuse to evade xc though!

Glad to hear you're turning over the long runs still - it seems a different lifetime from the start of this thread doesn't it!

Muddy - nice surfing!
  • Good news, Skinny. Long may it continue.

Muddy - good photo that. Sounds like a fun race!

Had a pretty tough week at work including heading up to Aberdeen, via London and Edinburgh so running had to take a back seat. Managed a few miles on Aberdeen coast path on Wednesday evening in a bit of a gale which was hard going.

Did parkrun with Bob and a few others on Saturday morning, I started off being the unofficial 20 minute pacer, although nobody ended up staying with me. Pleasingly I finished in 20:00, despite nearly slowing down too much in the last 100 yards and then had to do a bit of a sprint in the last 5-10 metres.

Need to get a couple of races pencilled in

edited November 2019
    DT - I remember (vaguely) asking this question myself and it's an affiliation with the Run In England programme: www.runinengland.co.uk

Stevie -  :)

Xpost: Tommy - nice one on the parkrun pacing - off now to see how Bob did on Garmin Connect ! The Sneyd Pudding Run is nearly full if you fancy that in a couple of weeks !
  • > @Tommy2D said:
    I started off being the unofficial 20 minute pacer, although nobody ended up staying with me. Pleasingly I finished in 20:00,

Now that's what I call good pacing!

Well done Muddy on XC - rather you than me though but my rule is that your brain only allows one part of your body to hurt at any one time so your foot might still be sore but by making other parts hurt more you can't sense it. B)

Weather would have to be quite bad to flood the path I think but you will be watching the weather closer than me. My mate will be disappointed if it's called off as he's targeting sub 1:30.
  • Lancaster weather looks glorious all week Muddy - see attached.
  • Skinny good news on the running front

Muddy great picture not so good on the nettles

DT good mileage last week

Tommy perfect solo pacing

Managed 14mls on Saturday easy pace, for over 40mls for the week. Picked up a cold over the past few days so not planning on running until Wednesday to see if I can shift it.

• Cheers Skinny - it looks like all the rain is coming down in the Midlands - I had thought it would be replicated in the North West. I'll get my hotel booked then !
  • Cheers muddy, unfortunately I can't make the pudding run, otherwise that would have been perfect.

Decent mileage, Kevin. When's your next race?

It feels like it's been raining here for weeks  

• I notice on SG thread that someone has said Abbey Dash has been measured short according to someone on Facebook. Can't find anything else about it and wonder if it is just this year or includes 2016 when I ran my 10k PB.

Anyway I've been back and looked at my splits - I ran 37:37 for whole race and went through 6 miles in 36:10 so that leaves 1:27 for last 0.21 miles which would be 6:54 pace which seems overly slow rather than overly fast. So whatever the official news I'm keeping my PB unchanged.
    edited November 2019
    They changed the route this year Skinny so your pb is safe. The final bit of Abbey Dash is relatively slow up and over the flyover ...

There was much debate earlier on Stevie G's thread about the influence of Vaporflys on the times there but I doubted it at the time as Vaporflys were widely available last year pre-route change.

I think I suggest the pudding run every year to you Tommy !  :D
  • Thanks Muddy - it might be slow up and over the flyover but back then 6:54 pace at the end of a 10k would have been glacial!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep - just this year- a real disgrace for a big fast race to not make sure!

The NW seemed particularly appalling for shorties a while back.
    I remember Stevie See on my thread being gutted at his 16.59 at Christleton being wiped out for being short!

Worst was the Manchester marathon though. You can't just throw another in shortly after.
  • I notice on SG thread that someone has said Abbey Dash has been measured short according to someone on Facebook. Can't find anything else about it and wonder if it is just this year or includes 2016 when I ran my 10k PB.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/sporting-events/running/leeds-abbey-dash/leeds-abbey-dash-2019-course-update/

23m short this year..."Due to slight alterations in the course landscape" whatever that means.

• Yes SG - I was a Manchester marathon casualty - my only marathon wasn't a marathon!

Thanks Tommy.

23m - about 5 secs at 6min mile pace.

Muddy says the course has been changed this year but the year we did it I remember running through a shopping centre car park or something similar which could quite easily have had it's layout changed from one year to the next without anyone noticing.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Where is the line drawn here though? My 10k pb was on a course that came out 6.15m on my garmin, which is probably why it's now 2 years old. I doubt anyone is going to bother remeasuring that one. So is the risk only associated with big races?

I was always slightly uneasy with just sneaking sub 3 hours in Yorkshire as my garmin had it 26.21m. London of course is very safe.

10k peaking session over lunch, 6 x 1m at 10kp off 1 minute. Reps came out at 6.12, 6.10, 6.08, 6.16, 6.10 and 6.10. Pleased with that as it wasn't hands to knees wishing to be put out of my misery after each rep. It was hard work in the 2nd half though. Racecourse was pretty slippy in many places so had to exercise quite a bit of caution as well.

Hoping to get good news from the Berlin ballot tomorrow after rejections the last 2 years. It's proving more difficult to get in through this ballot than London did for me years back.

• That's a really good session DT - 38:20 pace.

I think the only race I've ever done that measured short on my garmin was the Manchester marathon that was short.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Have they engineered "23 metres" to try and reduce their culpability?

Matt's track was 6.17m, so a good chunk more.

We all know GPS isn't 100% and they don't measure races that way (or shouldn't!), but then there's always that tinge of doubt when under distance isn't there?

The problem can be like DT says above, where you get a time that will be very difficult to beat as it's likely short.

A guy from my club has that issue. He's got a 16.19 at Bushy Park parkrun on his record. But the issue is he's got a string of sub 17s at another parkrun at the time that have "short course" in brackets. (Amazing, as the whole point of the parkrun category is to differentiate from 5k, as so many aren't certified distance and can change course at the drop of a hat)

He's not been within even a mile of that in about 8 years since - and the reason is because it's pretty likely it was a short course around that time
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's about 40m isn't it?

Skinny, yes, I need to run 6.10mm to pb. I went though 10k at 6.13mm in the Derby 10m race so i'm in the zone for sure.

• The Abbey Dash has a 180 degree turn at around 5k where you run back on yourself and it is at the Abbey so it is possible you could lose some GPS distance around there.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Generally, gps errors lead to over distance not under distance though. 
  • I'm nervous in investing any money in my newly regained ability to run further than down the street but my Rotary wrist watch is not so useful if I'm rolling along in a race and want to know how much time has elapsed when I pass a mile marker so I've just blown £7.49 on a Casio digital watch with a stopwatch.

I'm a little nervous now that there might have been a cheaper option out there but whilst looking I couldn't believe the price of some of the GPS watches - you could buy a decent bike for the price of some of them.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ha, i spend more than that on racing socks!! When people are spending £240 on racing shoes it's not surprising that gps watches go for far more.

Easy 10 miler this morning as was working from home. Legs a touch heavy after yesterdays session.