Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Well as my notebooks are larger I will need 2 box files as one is full and 8 notebooks on shelf as would not fit in.So I shall evaluate the size of future diaries.

4 miles yesterday for me at a later time due to icy conditions first thing.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    blimey, WP - I thought I was up early (6am) today, but lazy compared to you :)   - took car for service/MOT for 7:30; ran from garage, a 10 mile loop home, including some efforts (2 x 0.75 mile,  1 x 700m,  3 x 350m, 1 x 1 mile).  7 steady yesterday afternoon, so a pleasing couple of days. 
    ----
    re diaries etc - its a good job we have running forums, we certainly couldn't discuss the merits of notebook size & boxfiles with our non-running friends (not if we wanted to remain friends, anyway)  :)   

Dave
  • ........  well I do have 2 blue lever arch files labelled "Running Stuff" in which I keep articles on running related matters - and all properly filed in sections as well :)

Welshpoppy
    that was an early post yesterday!!

alehouse
    but what is he doing with that bottle :D ?!!

Dave
    that was a very good effort after your 7 miles the previous day with your faster stuff mixed in as well - looks like you are out of your dog days good and proper.

Strange that Spurs supporting Mick comes to London, Poch gets sacked and Mourinho gets appointed. Coincidence?  I don't think so :)!

Last night's Hash was a return to K'boro on a cold, dry evening with frost forming on the pavements and with two trips down and up the steps into the Nidd Gorge at the start which didn't do my knees any good at all! Overall some 4.6 miles done with one faster section just to show the youngsters how it is done - wish I hadn't :/

4 miles this morning feeling very stiff in the knees in a very sedate 41:53 (10:30 m/m) but avHR only 125 - still couldn't have gone any faster!!

Rest day tomorrow as I am on the early train to London but won't quite beat WP's get up time!!
  • I usually get up around 4.30 as I like to run by 5.30am normally :)

Dave:
    I so agree who would understand  but us runners  we can talk running ,notebooks, box files and everything inbetween :)
    You are really getting some great training in well done this morning and yesterday!

Torque:

You would be so neat and tidy and organised with running articles :)
    Hope your knees are okay after the trip's well done on faster stuff and your 4 miles this morning that is a low HR?

I ran 4.1 miles 41:39 (10.13) but my average  Hr was 137.Same as yesterday but at lower HR.I run faster later in the day.

Safe trip tomorrow  enjoy the rest day.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    very organised, TS ! . . . and good miles in a short "evening/morning" period.  
    Noticed my knees are increasingly stiff (but not painful, thankfully). Do you take any supplements (eg Glucosamine) ?    

WP - nicely done with the 4.1. .   and lower HR is encouraging !   

6 easy paced (due in part to the aforementioned stiffness - "whole leg", not just knees, after yesterday's harder efforts)  miles with a pal this morning. .    so 23 in 3 days - maybe a rest day beckons tomorrow

Dave
  • Dave:
    That is a lot of miles in 3 days but well done on getting out and running with knee/leg stiffness.

I take Glucasamine and have done for past few years not sure if it is a placebo affect but too afraid to stop taking them.

6.10 miles yesterday at 5.45 so a slow pace but happy to get the miles up and back to hills.RHR back to normal finally.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    a cut back day may be needed - and it's not very nice out there!
    Still very good mini streak
    it is a bit of an effort for me on the shorter turn around so the morning after becomes very much a recovery run

Stiffness was never something I had experienced until the hypothyroidism came along and it appears to be another  symptom of it as the synovial fluid in the joints tends to thicken. I have to do fist pumps in the morning to get my hands working and the hips and knees need the first half mile or so just to loosen up - and then promptly stiffen up afterwards

I don't believe glucosamine does anything for stiffness per se - it was hailed as an anti osteoarthritis treatment for several years but the science was always sketchy.  I did a lot of research on it and other claimed cures as my wife is badly affected by OA and this article sums it up quite well
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4649492/

Conversely it may help avoid coronary disease - an unexpected byproduct!!
    https://www.bmj.com/content/365/bmj.l1628

Ligaments and muscles tend to shorten as one gets older and work needs to be done to try and maintain flexibility to maintain stride length and a good range of movement - something one tends to forget or put to one side with time constraints.

another tip is not to run up and down 150 irregular steps 4 times - that was one I forgot on Tuesday evening!

I walked about 4-5 miles in London yesterday as I had a bit of time between meetings and it did help to ease my knee stiffness off but I was still knackered this morning on my 4 mile run and so I had a little walk after 3 miles  :/
  • Welshpoppy

5:45m/m?!!!  That's very speedy indeed.  Good to see the HR back to normal - a sign that the virus has finally cleared
  • I nearly fell of my chair Torque  I meant the time of the morning not speed!! 10.14 average pace :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks for those links, TS - I'll hold on the Glucosamine for now - maybe, like you did yesterday, I should walk more;  I don't do that much these days, apart from to the, ahem, "alehouse" :) 

WP - like TS - at first glance I interpreted your pace as 5:45 miling !!!    

adhering to my planned rest today - but a few leg exercises planned . . .     

Dave
  • Dave:
    I shall be most careful of placing the am next to time and mm against pace :)

I like to do some walking daily usually walking to village for supplies etc and sometimes I walk2 miles after my run come home get walking coat and off I go.

Enjoy the leg excercises........

6.13 miles for me 10.18mm :) HR elevated but could be me building up the miles again.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sounds a lot of miles lately, Birch. And WP.

Going pretty consistentlyTS

I was once advised to  take potassium and magnesium for aching legs, and often do so: New Era Combination P salt tissue tablets. 

A new parkrun sprang up not far away last Saturday so thought I would give it a go today. Potentially one of the fastest in the country. Pancake flat and only two turns, with the rest being gentle curves. Makes it rather relentless though! Managed 23:48 and just over 70% on the age thing! Suspect today's time was a reflection of the course rather than improved fitness. Will take it though. About a minute and a half quicker than the course that I have been doing, which sounds about right. Onwards and upwards. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    I had totally forgotten how awful UK weather can be. Bring on the snow and cold.

WP
    I am in Marlow and it has now been peaceful. Probably because all the bad guys are staying indoors  avoiding the awful weather.

I managed a wonderful run along the river bank this morning. The rain had stopped and the flood had receeded enough for me to run on a dry trail.
    Lots of runners out, very cheerful, clearly delighted by getting their running route back. They made my run special for me as I spent a lot of time on that river bank as a boy.

Mick
  • Ale:
     Great work at parkrun will this be a regular one as so flat?

Mick:

Great news on peace and quiet sorry weather has been so awful why do you think we moan about it :)
    That sounds a lovely run by the riverbank and really must have lifted your spirits.

Yesterday 6.16 miles and today will be a double day 4.5 miles just done and then off to Aberafan for another 4 whih I try to run faster as it is flat.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Will be an occasional visitor to that parkrun I suspect, WP. Will use it to measure progress. Probably go again in a month or so.

Mick: the weather was like this for a fair part of the summer in the north west!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Welshpoppy
    I thought I would give your confidence a lift ;)
    A double day!!  It's a long time since I did one of those......

Mick
    you should have seen it when the weather was bad :) 
    That is a very nice run along the Thames. I remember running from Henley upstream a couple of years ago in mid summer and it was a beautiful sunny early morning - just me and loads of swans and the odd rowing  boat on the water
    Good to hear the streets have been cleansed of troublemakers!

alehouse
    sounds a very good parkrun to have nearby even if the course is an all out one!
    Excellent time and age grading - a bit like golf where ones handicap can be influenced by the course it is set on

I strove for consistency this morning running the same 6.2 miles as last week in 62:40 so I was 2 seconds slower which I blame on waiting to cross a road :)   Unfortunately my HR was monitored as 131 for the last 4 miles without variation so I suspect it was not quite right!!

10:32  getting knees unstiffened
    09:47
    09:58
    10:20
    10:19
    10:01
    01:42

but the time splits are a near match. felt OK and could have done a bit more at that pace - but who couldn't?!

• Torque:

Sometimes mine does the same thing only occasionally which made me buy the chest strap which I have not used as yet I was thinking of using on my second run at Aberafan but forgot yesterday.
    Nice consistant splits.

4.15 miles at Aberafan and third fastest for course 25 secs a mile slower than my PB so pretty happy. 4 hours after finishing first run.

9.46....for 0.15

average hr 146

Last time I ran there was middle of september.I will be going back if everything okay on Wednesday I do have people and dogs to contend with but it is just training so to be expected:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick
    did you get to see Spurs play on Saturday under the chosen one?

Welshpoppy
    see - you are ahead of me on times already - and on your second run of the day as well :)
    It's a bit annoying that the HRM does drop off like that although I did have more problems with a chest strap one - and it use to wear a hole in my side as well on long runs where it chafed :/

Another grey and drear morning enlivened only by some rain as I ran 4 miles in 40:25 and again my HRM did not perform giving me an average of 90 bpm for the whole run!!

10:20
    09:45
    09:58
    10:19

Steady as she/he goes for this month.  Unfortunately as it is only a 30 day month I won't quite get to 100 miles for the first time since forever as my Sunday "long" run will fall into December :(
  • I am scouring Black Friday deals for a new pair of Adidas Ultraboost shoes which appear to have gone rocketing up in cost - full price is now £140+ although I have never paid more than £70 in the past.  Best so far is £99 for a fairly gaudy pair! 
    But the model has been improved they say ....................

I do have a box fresh pair of Adizero race shoes which have lived on a shelf for nearly 18 months. Haven't had the heart to put them on.............
  • Torque:

Only because it is flat my first run was average pace 11.20 :)
    I had similar problems with chest strap it would chafe me badly so will be interesting how it works on wednesday!

That is the problem with 30 day months not sure how many miles I am on I just checked 98 miles but I aim for just under 200 miles last month was September so i hope December is a better month.

Sorry to hear HRM acted up again today :-(

Just 2 miles for me this morning my body and legs felt very tired so cut run short and hope tomorrrow I am better recovered..

That is expensive I run in Adidas Boston Boost and luckily picked up a pair last month lowest price in a few years £62 so that is two pairs on shelf for next year.I usually use Start fitness or Sportshoes.com.I would bid your time as Sportshoes is having daily deals and hope you get lucky but it really grates to pay over £70 for a pair.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon!

TS: I can probably provide a sportsshoes.com 10% off plus free postage if that softens the blow! But as WP says there are new deals every day this week. 

Managed just over an hour this morning with my M74 friend who ran away from me on even the slightest gradient. Glutes still not working properly I suspect. Was dry when we set off but within a few hundred metres it started to pour; fortunately that was short lived. 9.67k covered which is 6 miles and a few yards! Pouring again now. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Your monthly mileage is still respectable for a 73 year old.
    No unfortunately I didn't get to the game, a little too far for the time I had available.
    140 pounds is a bit rich for a pair of running shoes.

I am now back n the land of sunshine and did my first run back 10.5 km. All the snow has gone and it is above zero. 

I have 15 years of electronic running records. It is my own software which I constantly tweak to give me a different view of my data. I had to do a few redesigns as the database is now huge and searching through it can take while.

Mick
  • Mick:

Glad you got home safe and sound and backin the sunshine again.I just knew you would have electronic data:-)

Yesterday 6 mile run I am still tired so it was slow but at least i can run and decided no double today will wait till Sunday.

Poppy
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse-splendid parkrunning there, after your travails - good one  . .  and nice to 
                    run with your friend for an hour 
                    I've heard others mention the Magnesium, so purchased some Mag Citrate                         (400mg)  ;  took first one yesterday . . .   

Poppy -  more consistent miles - well done - wise decision re the double  . .  

shoes - I have 2 pairs (Asics DS Trainer & Mizuno Wave Rider) in my spare room, awaiting the call to action - will have to select one of the pairs soon - my current Wave Riders are on 1,110 miles . .    

a rare (but hopefully will be fairly often, now I've broken the ice) visit to my club's Tuesday evening "speed" session last evening - 11.5 miles in total, including running there and back - the session itself was 6 x 400m/200m, with 100m walk between each of the 4's and 2's, on an 800m path round a leisure centre.   My knees were stiffening well on the jog back home - let's hope the magnesium does the trick :) 

I'm now on 88 for the month - fairly low, but with 4 days remaining, I'll at least pass the century

Dave   
  • Dave:
    Good news on magnesium I have ordered some as it seems good for fatigue.That is good mileage from your shoes.I used to keep log of shoes but that forgot got confused as I rotate 3 pairs but have started again.
    That sounds great news with club session (what a great session and distance)and hope knees are less stiff this morning? Do you set watch up for that session? I am interested as I would like maybe in NY to do similar and how to go about  setting watch to do it.
    I have also some hardback notebook's A5 for next year I looked at A5 diary and they were expensive....£10 so a set of 5 books for £7.99 seemed a better investment :)

I ran 6.5 miles this morning and feel better with tiredness hr was back to normal range.

Poppy.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Poppy
    I too rotate shoes - my 2 other pairs are on 509 & 147 respectively 
    don't set watch for the session - just run by feel - even when I was last running well (in 2015), for my marathon schedule, my harder sessions were all by feel - used parkrun here and there for a "marker" 
    nice notebook purchase :)     (and good effort this morn)    -  3.5 miles recovery here this afternoon - stiffness not bad, but legs heavy . .   

Dave
  • Mick
    you will be wishing you are back when it's -20C
    Thanks - the mileage is ok but the pace isn't as I attempt to imprint alternative energy systems onto my aged body :)!

Dave
    that is a long run for a speed session!!!
    I think beer has more effect than magnesium.............
    I try to bet my shoes to that sort of mileage as well and being a neutral foot striker it is normally the midsole that finally wears out!

alehouse
    thanks for the offer of a further discount but I am biding my time.  If it ever gets dry outside I may take my bright yellow Adizeros for as spin - can't let them get dirty :)
    Well done on the near 10K - that is my endurance range at  the moment as well

Welshpoppy
    5 books - that's a lot of writing
    6.5 miles is good going on the full road to recovery

Last night was 4.2 miles around a very sodden B'bridge on a interesting route which I had not run before so it kept one on one's toes (and eyes!) trying to spot the flour tail in the puddles and fallen leaves!

up early this morning and out driving at 0600 - wish I hadn't been as the mist was so thick I literally couldn't see more than 6m in front of me as I crawled along a country lane for 5 miles to the main road. I have driven and ran along it hundreds of times but had no idea where I was for much of it.
    For once it was brighter and clear on the other side of the Pennines!!!

• Dave:
    I am not suprised legs were heavy with all the quality training you have been doing!
    Good going on your shoes.

I have 2 pairs of the same shoe different colour and Tempo Boost these I seem to like not as much as Boston Boost.I also have a race pair which is kept in kitbag and only for races.

Thanks for tip over laps I looked at my watch and would you believe there is a section called training and I can set it up for how many reps  say 6@400m with 1 min recovery etc.

Torque:
    Well done on your sodden flour trailed run:-) We had a soupy mist this morning.

Well today was a run of two half's just over 2 miles and needed toilet as I passed diverted turning for home opted to come home.They are working on path that leads to cycle path it is rough loose stone ,mud and been this way well over 1/4 centuary so good news they are replacing it with a smooth surface.But Boss told me that bottom path is being doen and will be closed for a week....good of him to tell me he must have seen me use it daily.My problem is how I get on to cycle path so a bit of thinking and 0.35 miles uphill to Rugby ground and I can access cycle path so i tested this out for second part of run.Mind you all the way back I am muttering Rugby club to myself as I would just run to my normal turning spot:-) 6.75miles for the day first run average pace 10.45,second run average pace 10.42 so pretty even stevens and faster than yesterday-yay.
    So you can teach an old dog new tricks;-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Poppy,
    I use the Garmin workout feature often and it makes the workout much easier instead of having to worry about pressing buttons.
    You can create them on the Garmin app or the Garmin connect website and then just download them to your watch. Much easier than creating them on your watch.
    It use to be possible in the training centre days to share workouts. You still can but you need to be a bit nerdy to do it.
    I track my shoes using my own training log software. I have a history of all my different shoes and their mileage. I even added a feature that let me include a pic, how nerdy is that.

TS,
    Thanks for reminding me of what is to come. I have brought the UK weather back with me but sunnier colder is on the way for the weekend.

Birch,
    I have used a electrolyte replacement drink after my runs for a number of years. It contains magnesium among others and has helped me maintain mineral balance. Avoids headaches tired legs migraines etc.

Recovery day today and had to attend a funeral so a gentle day for my legs.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick, thanks for the info - I'll consider this, after longer runs, at least, in addition to the daily Mag citrate tab  
    shoe pics - nerdy ?   just happen to have this pic of first pair which made it to 1,000 miles

:) 

Poppy - nice miles, and nice one by the maintenance chap to alert you to the pathwork !

rest day today.   

Dave