Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    3rd year running rejection.

im fairly clear i want to run it so looked at charity places. Children with cancer require £750 fundraising. Combining it with a london and quite probably NY place that should be fairly easy to raise and a good cause. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Bad news DT. Don't forget the charity tickets available on 4 December:

"Also on December 4, 2019 at 9 am (CET), an additional group of 1,000 race numbers is available for 190 Euros, of which 65 Euros will be donated to the RTL Charity Marathon. The amount of donations will be donated in full to a charity project for Berlin children"

I was planning to try this route if I hadn't secured the place.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'll have a crack at that first before going charity.

TR you might be in luck as nike have just put up as coming soon on their app a white pair of next % shoes. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - I'll be watching black friday prices on white shoes next year then. Whats the gfa for Berlin, 255? You can chase that down at vlm (for the following years Berlin), you are already sub 3.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sadly it's 2.45 right now. I think it's 2.55 from 45 upwards. I'm just over a year off that age. 

Having been to asda I'm now sat on £175 nike vouchers which cost £140. Quite odd really, the discount wasnt advertised, the staff had no idea and no other voucher was reduced. 

So if i get the nike app birthday 25% discount in January the next % will be 179 so I'll basically get them for £144. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - understood. Well worth bridging the 255 gap then. £144 would be nice. The takehome for me from this weeks price watching is that i see no point in spending £200+ on myself for magic shoes, as im pretty confident that in 365 days time I'll be able to get another pair more reasonably priced,  hopefully white ones by then.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sorry to hear that DT. If you aim for a 2:55 this year could you then use it for GFA at Berlin next year or does the timing not work? 
    SBD my letter mentions the 'lottery' which I assume means ballot.
    Finally I did not buy the 4%s as the size 12s sold out while I was dithering. Ive decided to just get a grip and to be honest I think the pattern will be the same as for the zoomfly flyknits. Now prices have dropped this will become the new  norm, and in spite of rumours of obsolescence they will continue to churn them out with periodic sale prices around this level. With 2 pairs of zoomfly still in the box I'm not sweating. And they are black so no dodgy colours for me 🤣
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, unfortunately Berlin closes for everyone at same time. There's  a 2.26 runner on the sub 3 page complaining he's missed the boat. 

Raising £750 doesn't cause me too much concern, i can probably do it just through work. 

Your probably right re the shoes, I'm going to sit back on the next % shoes and wait for a good discount. As long as i have them for London. 
  • SBD - nice one.
    DT - must be very frustrating, sorry you didn't get in. Hope plan B comes to fruition.
    Leslie - hope you're 100% again soon.
    Still got hundreds of miles left in 4 pairs of cheap shoes, but need to think about buying some more soon. Can't remember the last time I bought a branded pair so don't have a clue where to start :)
    15 steady miles this morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 15, Gul. For general miles I am always Asic gt shoes.

I have done a bit more looking this morning and spoken with a decent charity who require you to raise £499. However my race entry fee is £40, which is £90 less than the ballot, so if I put that straight in the fundraising pot i'm only needing to find £400!

Seeming like a no brainer.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-That isn't too much if you work in a decent sized place and not been sponsored too often.
    The white nxt% are on sale now,with the asda vouchers they would cost 197...xmas treat to myself maybe.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hard luck on the ballot, DT. That charity spot seems an ideal solution. If you donate half of the £400 yourself, you'll still be paying less than the overseas entry for NYC which is around £275!

6 miles of faffing about last night. Looking forward to hitting the trails at the weekend.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian, I can probably get you a unidays code from my mate if you want, it'll take 10% off the starting price.

I'm holding out for 25% birthday discount in January.

I did raise money in 2016 for London because a client of mine is a major charity but I didn't trouble friends and family and barely asked colleagues as my employer put 1k in from the CSR budget and I didn't have a target anyway as I had a GFA place.

Therefore I have pretty much a free run at hassling people.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-If you could try that would be amazing,would make it about 170ish I think,think we got 25% for the wife's birthday last year so about March so might hang on as I only opened a new 4% in New York,decisions decisions.
    That's good about the charity,I did it for my first marathon and haven't bothered since as I feel people know i can run one easy so it would need to be for a special charity.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian, let me know if you are waiting for March on want to go asap and I will get a code and dm you.

I'm still hoping Nike come up with an all round 30% off everything discount tomorrow.

Berlin place now confirmed. It makes me laugh on the Berlin mara fb page, like London people complaining of multiple rejections like they do with London. However unlike London it is far easier to take matters into your own hands. As g-dawg says, even if I can only raise £200, it's only cost me £200 extra to get it done.

• Dt glad you have got sorted and yes shame the 30% off doesn't cover anything , was looking at Pegasus 36 on Nikes site and still 104 having a laugh there !
    Gul nice midweek 15 'er.

Up of nights for 5x 1k with 70 secs slow jog recovery.

Faster one way then the other as usual due to slight hill.
    3:57, 3:53, 3:59, 3:52, 3:59

Birthday today 47 !

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Happy Birthday Leslie - a mere spring chicken and a few V45 years left yet.  What better way to celebrate than with some 1K reps!

Even faffing miles add to the volume G-D.

Well done on sorting out the Berlin entry DT.  So a thread outing with the slowest back to the Brandenburg Gate buying the beers (that's the 1 litre measure!):)  

Talking of shoe purchases, I managed to pick up a couple of pairs of the Asics GT 2000 7's (my Abingdon race shoe) at £75 each - so that's one for London and one for Berlin!

That's big miles mid-week Gul.  Startfitness is a good website to check out the shoe bargains.

Good shoe buying TR - I think you'll need a pink vest for London to coordinate with the shoes.

6 recovery miles mid-afternoon.    A bit damp and a light drizzle but good to get out in the daylight.  The heart rate is gradually coming down on the recovery runs, so an average of 135 today for a pace of 8:06. Still a bit higher than pre race-day values, so lots more easy runs required over the next few weeks.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    All the best Leslie, it's a great age 😉
    Good news DT. I've already booked up flights and hotel. Planning to stay 5 nights and make a holiday of it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The talk of Berlin has made me regret not going again,oh well I'll stick to Chester this year.
    DT-I'm going to wait until March I think,thanks a lot though.
    Lesley-I was 47 in august and have PB'd half and full since then so plenty of time yet.
    Had a decent week this week,managed my fastest ever 20 in Sunday,then 6,10 and 9 with a rest day yesterday,all easy effort,local club league race on sunday then Telford next weekend.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, Leslie! Nice session.

No problem, Ian. Do you run 20s faster than easy pace?

I had a look at flights yesterday. Will fly in Friday and come back Monday. East mids is looking my best bet based on flight times and cost at present.

Not really sure about location in Berlin. I have only been once in 2004. Anyone have any suggestions of areas to stay in that make race day convenient?

Tempo planned over lunch for 8m. Conditions surprisingly perfect at moment.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Leslie!!

DT - We stayed in the Maritim Hotel on the south side of the Tiergarten in Berlin. Reasonable rates and an easy walk to the start. Not too far a walk to restaurants for the night before the race as well.

Staying there and being able to walk to the start shaped the choices of where I've stayed for other big city marathons since, saves having to muck around with public transport.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-No I didn't word it very well,I basically do everything at easy pace unless it's a race,not the usual way but works well for me,it just happened that the 20 is my fastest yet,for the same effort.
  • Gul – Holy smoke, I can’t believe you are going to buy branded shoes! I got 3373 miles from a pair of Hokas.

Happy Birthday Leslie! Nice reps

SBD – Good to read you average HR is coming down.

OO – Nice one on the Berlin bookings. I’m well jealous

Ian – Well done on the fastest 20 and other good runs too.

DT – Congrats on the Berlin entry. I stayed in the Relaxa Hotel on Anhalter Str for the 2018 Berlin Marathon. It’s a nice hotel, close to check point Charlie and other tourist attractions.  It’s about a mile from the starting and finishing area. It’s also close to the course so you can watch the inline skaters the day before. There’s an Aldi on the block too. There are many hotels of different prices in the area.

I haven’t been near the forums for months with real life getting in the way. I’m glad to report things are going well with my previous health issues. All good now and I’m enjoying running freely again. I’m still slow because of low mileage but I’m gradually going to ramp it up next year.

I’ve been selected to represent N.Ireland in the 100k Anglo-celtic plate in May, and plan on running the Belfast 24hr in June. I hope to smash my current 87 marathons/ultras through the 100 barrier next year!

https://athleticsni.org/News/Athletics-NI-News/NI-AND-ULSTER-TEAM-FOR-2020-ANGLO~CELTIC-100K-HOME-COUNTRIES-INTERNATIONALS-ANNOUNCED?fbclid=IwAR0LjVj2DA65Nt8AbuAio4cPQLs9NEWBv2NbESZaNdn-8AQ-GYDaVNTDfSk

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    congratulations Badbark - both on your selection, and your progress with the health issues . . . .   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you , Badbark. Great to hear the health is well on track and of the NI selection.

Thanks for the hotel advice both.

Ian, I see, i'm with you now.

A fairly surprising tempo run over lunch. Conditions were perfect however the racecourse was pretty slippy and quite a few part as the flooding has only disappeared last few day. Standard 8m tempo, first mile came in at 6.30 which is about 10s faster than I usually start but it felt controlled and HR was low so went with it. The miles kept ticking over and edging into the 6.20s but hr remained where it should be as did my perception of effort. Came out 6.28 average for 161 bpm. Identical run 4 weeks ago came out 6.36 for 162 bpm. Splits were solid as well with a negative split;

6.30, 6.31, 6.27, 6.27, 6.25, 6.30, 6.29 and 6.21.

Pretty pleased with that with Telford pending. Definitely my best pace/distance v HR ever.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Great tempo session DT - you're looking in good shape for Telford.

Congratulations on the international selection Badbark - is that that the first selection?  More importantly, well done on getting back running and healthy - have you been given the OK to resume the high mileage training?

Ian - do you never do any tempo sessions or strides?  You've obviously got some natural speed given the 5K and 10K times - a Sub 3 marathon time is there for the taking if you do the right training.

Great minds think alike G-D - I booked the Maritim Hotel yesterday!  What time did you manage to get breakfast on race-day?

10 miles progressive run late afternoon.  Initial pace of 8:30 decreasing every 2K to 6:10.  Hard work towards the end and no idea what the HR was doing as I'd left the belt at home.  I do like the progressive run - the beer tastes much better afterwards!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Badbark-Last time I was reading here you were really struggling with your health so it's great news to hear how you are getting on.
    SBD-No I don't,I've had Achilles issues the last 2 years but have learnt if I run easy I can manage it and keep running but prolonged speed work flares it up so I save it for races.
    10.5 after work today,yesterday's 8 felt hard but today was fine,strange how the body works sometimes.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very pleased to hear from you Badbark and thanks for letting us know you are doing well and running uninjured.
    I'm staying near checkpoint Charlie, prices more pricey than I expected for Berlin.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That makes sense Ian - do the Achilles issues limit your volume as well?

A marathon major in a cheap city would be nice OO.  Presumably, Malaga is a cost effective trip.

13 miles late afternoon, average pace of 7:43.  Legs stills a bit niggly but nothing too serious.  Brings me up to 60 miles for the week.  Just need to add on another 5 miles over the next 3 weeks before starting the London schedule.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-A little bit,I find it starts growling when I go over 55 miles a week,for the last few months I've been getting around 45-50 so I'm hoping it reacts better to a small increase as I'd love to be doing 55-60.
    Local club race today,5.5miles around an undulating park,it's always a very good standard,but today a bit of the course was still icy so seen a few fall so played it safe,finished in 91st,averaged 6.18 and was really consistent until the last uphill half mile and ran 6:02 so had a bit in the tank,hopefully the temps lift a bit before next weekend.