New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• I did the Best 5k At Preston. I came 47th out of 114 with a time of 24.57. A new p.b.
    Overall it's been good couple of days running for me.
  • Good Afternoon,
    Wtn, Enjoy your granddaughter's birthday. That sounds like a lovely way to spend the weekend. I use a treadmill, as well, when it gets too cold, too icy, or the snow has taken over so much of the roads that there isn't room to safely run outside. A couple of years ago, I discovered Ice Bug running shoes and they have made a huge difference in my winter running experience. They have rubber knobs on the soles with metal centers, but the soles are still pretty flexible. I could never get the hang of running with shoe grippers and my knees always felt cranky after I used them.

Ran four miles today and lifted some weights afterward. Next week, I'm scheduled to slowly start increasing my mileage again. My fingers are crossed that everything holds together.

Molly
  • Oops Somehow. when I log on to post, I only see one or two of your posts, and then when later other posts show up that I missed. It's a little frustrating to miss responding to people. So, I'm doing a part 2 to my earlier email.

HS thank you for the explanation of the park runs. After reading your description I googled 'Parkrun' and found the website. Apparently, there are quite a few of the runs throughout the US but none in my state. The closest are runs in Massachusetts and in Vermont. However, now I am intrigued. It definitely warrants closer scrutiny and maybe trip to partake in one of the runs B) I hope your neck has recovered from the car show!

Aquarius, I'm so sorry that you had a bad nights sleep before your XC. I really hate feeling wrecked before a run. It sounds like you were smart to skip it, especially if it turned into a mudfest. Great job on the 6.5 miles. When you mention the 80/20 method, are you talking about zone training? I'm kind of an obsessive garmin loving zone trainer.

Damien, Congratulations on your new P.B.!! What a wonderful couple days of running. I look forward to starting to think in terms of PB's again, instead just trying to avoid new PW's (personal worsts).
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    As I mentioned, I'm decorating this week. So although I've popped on here this morning because I needed to submit some meter readings, you won't see much of me for a few days. In the meantime, here's me getting organised yesterday morning. Managed to get the ceiling done yesterday afternoon .. about to tackle the walls today.

• Aquarius, I'm hoping to do my 48th parkrun on Saturday.
    A pity you didn't run in the xc, but in the circumstances, a sensible decision. Well done for your 6.5 mile run, sticking to your programme.

Damien, congratulations for your pb  5k, an excellent time.

Molly,best of luck with your training. Taking it easy to start with and then gradually building up the mileage is the best approach.
    I did wonder why you hadn't commented on my explanation about parkruns. I do hope that you manage to get to one, as I am sure that you will enjoy the experience.
    My neck has recovered thanks.

WtnMel, thanks for the photo. You certainly do look very business like.

Ran,walked and waded a very wet and muddy 8.1 miles in the forest yesterday morning with Sarah F, Jane and Danii. The heavy rain didn't help, but we all enjoyed the experience, especially after we had finished.
    This morning was a very tough spinning session, and probably my best performance to date.
  • Good Evening,

WtnMel, excellent work on the painting! Your selfie is wonderful :)

Hillstrider, Your spinning session is inspiring me! Tomorrow is a bike day. I mentioned the parkruns to my husband. He has friends in the UK and he is pretty sure that he has heard them talk about the parkruns before. The closest one to me is a bit south of Boston, about an hour and a half from where I live (I'm north of Boston). I'm thinking that it might be a fun thing to do in the springtime :)

I ran 4 miles today with Nikko, and it was tough. I'm struggling to maintain my normal easy pace without sending my heartrate through the roof, and my legs are definitely a bit weak. However, the run was still an improvement over a few weeks ago, when I couldn't come close to a normal pace. So, that warrants a mini Yay! The 5K on Thursday morning is going to be a farce, but I'm 'running' it with my husband, so we'll probably spend most of it laughing at ourselves (chiefly myself).
  • Afternoon all, 

Molly, good to hear that your 4 mile run was an improvement over a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy the 5k tomorrow with your husband. You can imagine that it is a parkrun to give you an idea of the time you might run one. Your pace will, of course, be much quicker by the spring.

Heavy rain again today and I just jogged 5.1 miles on the roads this morning. Wasn't really in the mood. Will have to make up for it tomorrow. 😆
  • Good evening everyone

Molly I hope your 5k goes well. The main thing is to enjoy it (and remain injury free). Yes the 80/20 running method is about heart rate zones, and if I was clever enough I’d post a link to some information about it. However, being somewhat IT challenged I’ll just tell you that there’s a book about it by Matt Fitzgerald which you can look up on Amazon. The basic idea is that you do 80% of your workouts at a low intensity and 20% at a higher intensity, and because you are not pushing too hard too often you avoid burn out and injuries but still improve your fitness. I’ve just started reading the book (I haven’t got very far as I always seem to be busy doing other things) but as someone who does tend to push too hard, and get fatigued and prone to colds as a result, I thought I’d give it a try.

WtnMel - great selfie, hope we get to see the finished result too. ;)

Congratulations on your new 5k pb Damien.

HS it’s not like you to say you weren’t really in the mood for your run, I hope tomorrow’s run will be better. I believe the weather is forecast to be a bit drier (although colder) over the next few days so your run may be more enjoyable if that is the case. Good luck for Saturday if you do manage to get to your 48th parkrun. 

Our visitors left yesterday afternoon, so today I’ve been busy catching up with things, but I also managed to squeeze in a 4 mile run. It wasn’t very enjoyable as the mist was very thick and wet, (like being in a steam room, only with cold steam instead of hot!) then halfway through my run the rain came, so I was pretty glad to get home and have a hot shower to warm up. On a more positive note - our house and (two) car insurances were due for renewal this month, and by shopping around I managed to save nearly £270, and still stayed with the same insurer. Their original renewal quotes came to £1135 but when I told them of the cheaper ones I’d found they agreed to reduce the price to £872, so I’m very pleased with that.
  • Good Afternoon,
    HS, Excellent work on finishing five miles despite not feeling like it. I hope that today's run was more enjoyable for you.

Aquarius, I followed the Maffetone method for a year. Which basically meant that I kept my heart rate in zone 2 for a year. What I found was that for the first two months, I could barely run without my heart rate shooting out of the zone. However, over time my aerobic base definitely improved which really helped with half marathon and marathon distances. At the same time, I found that my speed/sprint power definitely declined over that year. Part of it may have been due to natural effects of aging, but it felt like my remaining fast twitch muscles all decided to convert to slow twitch. After the year, I loosened up a bit on my approach and that helped me to begin to regain some speed for shorter distances. However, I still try to keep below zone 4, except for my tempo run. I firmly believe that staying in the lower heart rate zones has kept me mostly injury free during training periods where my mileage is between 40 and 50 miles a week (low for many people, but high for me). The achilles tendinitis is the first real injury that I've had in several training cycles. I'll be interested to hear what you think about the approach.

This morning was my first 5K since the marathon, and I decided to approach it as a training run (tempo), which meant staying in zone 4. However, running with my husband makes that a little difficult. When I realized that my heart rate was blowing through zone 5, I sent him on ahead. This was not easy, as last year I left him in the dust. Ugh! However, in the end it was a good decision. My achilles is sore, but not horribly so. I ended up 6 minutes slower than my PB, which I'm not going to think about. But, the best thing was that my husband was so stoked at beating me he promptly announced that he would run the half marathon in March with me. Heh-Heh! A first for him! Yay!

I hope you all have a great day!
    Molly
  • Well done Molly for getting through your 5k without aggravating your Achilles injury, you were right to back off the pace when you realised your HR was too high. Times aren’t important when you are trying to get back to full fitness. Great that your husband is planning to do the HM with you in March.
     I have to admit that my speed (never particularly great) has definitely suffered since I’ve started the 80/20 system. I think I need to introduce some fartlek sessions in the next week or so.
  • Molly - forgot to wish you happy Thanksgiving Day!
  • I did a 7k run tonight which will be my last run before the 10k race on Sunday. I didn't even push myself tonight and I did it in 37 mins.
    Now for 2 days rest and let's see how I do at weekend.
  • Well done Damien, good luck for the weekend.
  • Afternoon all,

I've flagged the spammer and that was the 4th, they usually disappear after 4 so fingers crossed. Spammers are not welcome on here. We used to have moderators who would automatically delete such posts, but now we have to flag them up ourselves.

Molly, well done for your 5k which you ran without causing any further damage to your Achilles. I don't monitor my heart rate whilst running/racing but to how I'm feeling. If I feel that I am pushing too hard, I ease off slightly. I do, however, check my readings on Garmin Connect, Strava and fetcheveryone when I get home. 
    I had a much better run yesterday Molly, thank you. It was a lovely sunny morning and I ran 8.8 miles in the forest. It was very muddy with lots of fairly deep laying water. A challenging run but I really enjoyed it. Off road running is great for improving stamina and endurance.

Aquarius, I do doubt the benefits of spending too much time at the lower heart rates, which necessitate running at little more than a slow jog. The social run I took part in Thursday last week was so slow, that it took me several days to get any pace back. My theory is that it "woke up" my slow twitch fibres at the expense of the faster twitch.

Damien, good luck with your 10k on Sunday. Please let us know how you got on.

Today is a rest day, which always seems to be when the weather is fine and dry.
  • Good Evening All,

Aquarius, Thank you for the holiday wishes. We had quite an enjoyable day and I managed not to completely overeat!

The zone training is kind of a weird thing. My husband is cyclist of many, many years. He swears that it first became popular in the cycling world. However, our friends who are triathletes swear that it became popular in their sport first. I learned about the approach from them, not my husband. And, it makes sense for a triathlete to not worry as much about sprint power. If you have any thoughts about the origin of the approach, I'd be interested.

At this point, I kind of believe that training has to be somewhat goal specific and body specific. And, in the case of my middle-aged body, that specificity tends to fluctuate. At the moment, my semi-short term goal is going to be beating my husband in a half-marathon in March o:) We'll see how that goes...

Damien, Good Luck on Sunday! I hope that you have a lovely run. It sounds like you are in excellent shape.

Hillstrider, I envy your ability to run by feel. I have never been good at developing a reliable level of body awareness. When I run without gadgets to monitor my effort, I tend to end up racing my training-not good. I'm not good at maintaining an even pace either. Your run in the forest sounds lovely. I really wish that I could do more off road running, but unless we're on vacation there really isn't a place to go.

I do agree that there is something about muscle memory and pace, when you suddenly reduce your pace for whatever reason. Especially, as I get older, I have to keep reminding my muscles what a faster pace feels like, when I've done too many slower pace runs. Your description of waking up the slow twitch muscles summons up an apt image of the fast twitch fibers going to sleep. I am hoping that spinning on the bike at a high revolution will help keep my few remaining fast twitch fibers awake.

Today was a rest day. Tomorrow is a 5 mile 'long run'. But, at least it's a mile longer than last week.
    Molly
  • I did the 10k in a time of 50.58 not bad as I was aiming about 55 mins.
  • Excellent result Damien, well done.
    Molly, how did your 5 mile run go?
    HS I hadn’t realised how quickly my pace would suffer after a few slow runs, but I have to agree that does seem to be the case. However I ran 4 miles today at a quicker pace than I’d intended, as I’ll explain...yesterday I’d planned on doing a parkrun, but as we’d had a hard frost overnight all the local parkruns were cancelled. So I thought I’d put my run off until today, but the overnight frost was even more severe than the previous day so I had to wait until the sun melted it later in the day. In the end I decided to give it a go and hope it wouldn’t be too icy underfoot. As it happened it was ok (thank you trail shoes) but just as I was about to turn back I met a man who I often see along my route. I’ve always thought he looks a little unusual with his long flowing hair and “Cat-in-the- hat” hat, pushing (never riding) his bike with all sorts of jingling bells, ribbons, signs etc on it. I assumed he was some sort of children’s entertainer, but was puzzled why he was always on this fairly quiet country trail. We normally just nod to each other as we pass and exchange a greeting, but today he stopped me to tell me, quite out of the blue, that he was highly intelligent, and was the owner of some very expensive shoes. That may well have been so, but after congratulating him on these achievements I decided it was time to increase my pace and return home asap. So, although unplanned, I ran faster than I intended (and was very grateful my tempo pace hadn’t completely deserted me!)
  • Evening all,

Molly, hope your 5 miler yesterday went well?

I ran the Brockenhurst parkrun in Wilverley Inclosure again yesterday, my 48th. The first and last k's (the same stretch) were very muddy and ankle deep in places. This was caused by the loggers driving along the trail making deep ruts in the ground. It's usually fairly firm, so most of us were wearing road shoes. Trail shoes would have been more appropriate.I didn't mind the conditions as I'm used to running in similar in the forest. I was first MV70, beating the man who beat me the last time by 20 seconds. 

Damien, well done for your 50.88 in your 10k, an excellent time.

I did a deliberate recovery pace run this morning on roads of 7.3 miles, keeping well within my comfort zone. My average heart rate was 119 bpm. It will be interesting to see what effect running so slowly will have on future runs. 
  • Good Afternoon Everyone,

Damien Nagle, Excellent job :) I hope your legs are recovering nicely.

Aquarius, Oh My Gosh! I am so glad that you picked up the pace. And, good to know that you are still within your normal tempo pace range!
    Motivation can come from the oddest situations and places. I do hope that you don't continue to run into the gentleman.

HS, It strikes me that you must have very strong legs to be able to run through that mud without injury. I would be very worried about twisting knees or ankles. An average HR of 119 would be a walking pace for me, or at least in zone 1 for me. It says a lot about your cardiovascular fitness that you were able to run and maintain that low of a heart rate. I think I could maybe maintain that heart rate at a barely jogging pace for a mile or two, if I was on a completely flat route, before it would inevitably started creeping up. Good for you!! I'll be curious to hear how your legs feel on the next fast run.

Yesterday's five miler was slow, but solid. It was around -6 celsius, with a fairly bitter wind, so that added a little challenge to it. My achilles feels better than I expected, but my legs are tired today, which I didn't expect, and I have the beginnings of a cold. Today was supposed to be a cross training day, but I decided to take both today and tomorrow (a planned rest day) off. I am really trying to listen to my body in this training cycle...

There has been a slight alteration to the husband/wife half marathon challenge. My son and his girlfriend, Abbe, were visiting this weekend, and when Abbe heard about the half marathon she announced that she wanted to run as well. However, she won't have time to train until her semester is over. So, as of now, Abbe and my husband will run the half marathon portion of the Maine Marathon in September, and I will run the full marathon. Which also means that I am running the half marathon in March without my husband. For the first time in quite a while I am feeling excited at the prospect of racing and training. Yay! I must be healing.
  • Evening all,

Molly, I forgot to mention that there were two black pigs snuffling for acorns near the start of the parkrun. They were very docile, and some of the younger runners were stroking them. I've never seen black pigs before.
    Well done running in minus 5 degrees. Hope your symptoms don't turn into a full blown cold. Good luck with your half and full marathons. It's good to have targets to train for.

It was well below freezing here in the South and I ran 8.6 miles in the forest with Jane. There was lots of deep mud and standing water, necessitating walking ad wading at times. It was very sunny though, and low in the sky, making it difficult to see, as it was in our eyes. The grass was covered in lovely white frost. On the return leg, we were running down a narrow trail, and came upon about a dozen white cows with horns. These can be very dangerous, so we walked very gingerly through them.   
  • Good Evening All,

HS, Are these domestic farm animals that you are running into? Or, farm animals that have escaped from their pastures? What adventures you have. I am afraid that my adventures on my runs are limited to poorly behaved dogs, and, during tourist season in the summer, poorly behaved and usually drunk beach goers. All in all, I think I would prefer the pigs. They sound kind of sweet. My cold seems to be fading! Thank you for asking :smile:

We are now half way through what is predicted to be a 48 hour snowstorm. I doubt that the roads will be clear enough tomorrow morning to run outside, so I will be on the treadmill. The problem for me with running on a treadmill is that I have a hard time transferring gains to running on pavement. I've been setting the incline at 1% which is supposed to help, but I am beginning to think that I made need to make the incline even steeper, though that can be hard on my achilles tendon. Does anybody have any thoughts/experience in this area?
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Molly - good to hear last weeks 4ml run was an improvement on a few weeks ago and hope you enjoyed your run with your husband. With him planning to do the HM with Abbe while you concentrate on the marathon, I can imagine you'll still be able to share some of your training and motivate each other. I've got a treadmill in my garage and have always understood setting it at 1% is equivalent to running on the flat outside. I've been known to adjust mine up and down (it goes to 10% max) whilst running, to make the run a bit more taxing and a little less boring.

Aquarius - as I've mentioned before, I've yet to be convinced by the theory of the benefits of heart-rate training. And discussions with people always seem to indicate how difficult it is to keep within the heart-rate zones. So I've never been tempted to try it for myself and will stick to my general runs interspersed with occasional faster sessions. Well done for resisting the temptation to do nothing re your insurance. Funny isn't it how when you show your current insurer a cheaper quote from elsewhere, they suddenly feel able to apply a hefty discount on their previous price. That man does sound a bit 'weird' .. don't blame you speeding up as you ran away.

Damien - well done re your 10k race result .. good to beat your target time by several minutes.

HS - I've flagged that spammer but its only showing three flags so the post is still hanging around. Well done for being the 1st MV70 at the parkrun. Well done re your muddy run with Jane - don't blame you walking gingerly past those white cows.

Still not managed to get out for a run as we were away over the weekend and travelling back yesterday. Must be almost two weeks now :-( But hoping to attend a club run either tomorrow evening or Thu morning.

Off into town shortly. On Monday it was 17 years since Margaret and I met (which we deem our anniversary) so having lunch at Cote Brasserie.

In case you're wondering, I finally finished the decorating on Friday after having to do three coats on the walls. Here's a photo I took on Sat after I'd put the bedroom back together.

• RunningfoxRunningfox ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hillstrider: Amongst various animals - horses, goats, cows and calves - we often have to barge our way past pigs when running in Menorca.  They all make our runs that bit more interesting, and they're all very tame and friendly.  Nearly everyone stops to take pictures of them and I've often thought they must be the most photographed pigs in the world.

Yes, I know they're not black, but they nearly are!
  • Afternoon everyone,

Welcome back Runningfox, good to know that you are still around and running. Thanks for the pics. We took some pics of the black pigs after our parkrun. I will see if I can get hold of one and post it on here.

Molly, no they are not escaped farm animals. Ponies, cattle, donkeys and pigs are allowed to run freely in the forest. The ponies are owned by "Commoners" who are responsible for them. Periodically there is a round up, which is quite impressive to see. There is a cattle market at Brockenhurst where they are periodically auctioned. The donkeys seem to just appear, and then disappear again. The pigs are introduced each year to eat the acorns which are poison to the ponies.
    Glad to hear that your cold seems to be clearing up.
    I'm afraid I can't help with treadmill advice as I've never got on with them.

WtnMel, the spammers post is still there. They will have got the message though that they are not welcome on here.
    Congratulations for your 17 years with Margaret 🎇
    Well done on the decorating, a very professional job. A great picture too, you have the look of "a job well done!"

A spin session this morning, a mixture of hill and flat work. 🚴‍♂️
  • Hillstrider:  I still check you all out most days though I haven't run since September due to some pretty drastic therapy that slowed me down a bit.  However, I've every intention of starting again when the effects wear off, and when my wonderful partner's hip has healed so we can run together.  I'd to discharge myself from hospital for a holiday I'd paid for in May to celebrate my birthday.  Anyone can see pictures of my birthday run in Menorca by looking up '87 years young' on YouTube.  After our run and a swim to cool off we were pleasantly surprised to find a nice bottle of wine in our hotel room, courtesy of the management, to complete the celebrations at sunset on our hotel balcony.  
    Keep up the good work everyone.
  • Runningfox - I’m delighted to see you posting on here again. I’ve been missing your blog posts and wondered how you were doing. Sorry to hear that your partner has been having hip problems, I know from your blog how much you both love running so you must be frustrated and a bit down to have to give it a miss for a while. I’m going to look up your birthday pics on YouTube as soon as I finish posting here. Would you mind putting details of your blog on here again for the benefit of our new “mature runner” Molly, I’m sure she’d enjoy reading about your running adventures, and seeing all your lovely photos of the Yorkshire Dales. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you both to be fully fit and back to running again in the near future.  

HS well done for being first MV70 at Brockenhurst parkrun, and well done for beating your rival by 20 seconds, that must have been very satisfying. I’m envious of your 119 heart rate, I ran a slowish 7 miles today in freezing conditions and my HR was high from the start and never dropped below 136, having peaked at 190! My recent runs have averaged between 130 and 155, but I’ve noticed these very high readings before when it has been particularly cold, and just hope that is the explanation on this occasion. I didn’t feel as if I was working hard, but never actually felt warm at any point of my run today, my legs feeling particularly cold, also my hands. Maybe that affects heart rates? I’m glad I don’t come across any cows on my runs, I think I’d be feel nervous about passing them.

I didn’t see that gentleman with his jingling bike today, but I did see another regular, an older gentleman who is always talking to himself, but breaks off to say hello when I pass. I feel sorry for each of them as they give the impression of being a little eccentric, but are probably just lonely.

WtnMel great job with that bedroom, and congratulations to you and Margaret for being together for 17 years, enjoy your meal at Cote Brasserie. I also flagged that spammer, and the last time I looked there were 4 flags, but he’s still there. I thought after 4 flags they were deleted? I hope you manage to get out for your run either tomorrow, or Thursday, with your club. When is your next golf match with Alan?

Molly, are 48 hour snowstorms normal for where you live? Snow is lovely to look at as it gently falls, but once it starts to melt and gets slushy and dirty it’s not so attractive! I hope your cold improves and you are able to get out for your run soon, it’s a good job you have your Ice Bug running shoes. I used to have a treadmill in the garage but rarely used it. I found it too boring and hated the fact that there was no change of scenery and no fresh air to breathe, also because of the cushioned surface every step felt the same, whether on the flat or incline. I much prefer the changing terrain of off road running. However, having said all that I agree that if it is impossible to get out for a run a treadmill session is better than nothing. Exciting news about your half marathon and full marathon plans. Will a bit of competition creep in between the three of you for the best HM time (applying age-grading of course for fairness)?

• Aquarius:  Thankyou for your kind thoughts.  Folk wouldn't really want to know what I've been doing lately so my blog has got rather neglected, but I'm hoping to resurrect it shortly.  Besides, you're the ones doing all the running, making me feel very much like an ex-runner.  But I'm still interested in all you're doing, and nice to hear our borders now stretch to New Hampshire!   Welcome to the Forum Molly. 
    For what it's worth my blog can be found on: https://oldrunningfox.blogspot.com

• Good Evening All,

WtnMel, The newly painted room looks lovely! Excellent job :smiley: And, Congratulations on your anniversary. I hope your legs feel wonderfully fresh on your first run after your two week break.

RunningFox, I appreciate the picture of the pigs. I helps to visualize the runs that folks do.

HS, Thank you for clarifying about the pigs, donkeys, ponies and cattle that you encounter. From my end of the world, it sounds pretty magical. How long are your spinning/cross training sessions? I've started incorporating them into my training, and plan to get up to an hour over the next month. I have a routine with intervals of high revolution spinning, alternating with high resistance standing. The standing is hard.
    Also, I believe that I have been remiss. What is the significance of MV70? I understand that congratulations are in order?

Today was 4 miles on the treadmill at a little less than HM pace followed by strength training. We got nearly 20 inches of snow, and some ice, so I expect I'll be on the treadmill for at least the next few days. For the time being I am keeping the incline at 1%, but if my achilles keeps improving I may start increasing it to 2% for at least a portion of the runs.
  • Aquarius, I almost missed your post! So, sorry...Yes, we generally have a few multiday snow storms each winter. Though, the snow totals are much less where we live now, along the ocean. We used to live in Maine, much farther North, and it wasn't unusual to have 6 ft and up of snow on the ground each winter. The problem here is the combination of snow, ice and ocean flooding. Sadly, the treadmill is often necessary just for safety. I'm just not very good at using it well as a training tool. I'm hoping to be back outside in a few days, probably with my Ice Bugs. I think that there will be a fair amount of competition creeping in to our marathon adventures :smile: But, I'm still the fastest, overall, so the kids don't let me take age grading into account.

If I'm tired, run down, or overtrained my heart rate is often elevated on runs, and when the temperature is below freezing I've noticed a definite increase in HR versus effort. However, 190 seems very like a very high spike for a slow run. Do you use a chest strap? I know that when mine are wearing out, I can get weird readings. I hope things are back to normal tomorrow when you run. Spikes can feel worrisome.

And, finally, thank you for asking Running Fox to post his blog link. I'd love to follow it!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

RF - glad to see you're still around and sorry to hear you've not been able to run since September :-( Nice of the hotel to leave you a bottle of wine to celebrate your birthday with. 

Molly -  as HS would no doubt confirm, when driving around the New Forest, you've always got to be on the lookout for ponies etc. wandering across the roads as its all open land. I'm hoping my first run after a two-week break won't mean I'm shuffling along slowly at the back! (at least now the faster ones ought to be looping back to find me if that is the case!).

HS - that look in my photo is more one of relief I'd finally finished decorating (after three coats on the walls). Although I had to touch-up the door this morning where I'd missed a few bits (no doubt due to general tiredness and wanting the decorating to be over and done with!).

Aquarius - that max heart rate sounds high? As I mentioned, I don't do heart-rate training but I record it for info. On average it gets up into the 130's fairly quickly but even after running hard it only seems to peak in the 150's. So I'd agree, yesterday's high heart rate during your run was probably an anomaly due to the cold. The meal at Cote Brasserie was lovely - and it was only after we got home Margaret realised the coffee she'd had while waiting for me (she got there early) hadn't been added to the bill. The next golf match with Alan is on Friday (weather permitting) and I'm heading to the driving range this afternoon for a little pre-match practise.

I'm feeling left out as running around town means all I ever see most of the time are dogs being walked ;-) Will be going to tomorrow's club run - my first outing with my new Saucony Guide 13 shoes (similar to the previous Saucony Guide 10 so I don't envisage any problems "running them in" (boom boom) :-) 

Then a quick turnaround after lunch as it's December's U3A Science & Technology group meeting (all about the electromagnetic spectrum this month).

NB: That spammer is still there despite being flagged four times. I've reported the post too (not that doing so will have any effect whatsoever!!)