Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good turn out chaps. And I hope it's the me one Aley, and you're not still awaiting a train ;)

The Jan-March/April one is the version you want really, a one lap job.

Deffo a nice one to do at times, but like Pete says, unless you're a central London worker, a 12.30 job is day off work fare.

Strange day today, in for 10, in lieu of the 9.30pm work job yesterday, and then a power cut after 12 meant we were sent home at 12.30! You couldn't make it up!!

Took the laptop home of course, but had a rare "treat" of a 4miler on home turf, did a 4mile route including a 240feet climb in 1 mile that had me panting, and didn't benefit from the down as it was down a pretty dark slippy wood! Still, sub 8 average. No drama.

Morning was a mash up mixture of an easy to steady sort of fartlek job for 5miles, then 6x160m off 1min. Low 5s for those.

• Good work all you LFOTM'ers :smile:  Was regretting not coming until I heard that the post  race chat was football based, although seemingly you all had different conversations :smiley:

Double day of mud for me today instead! General knackeredness all round, which broke the recent spell of seemingly magic, fast Friday runs home! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Can't remember my last magic run!
    Today was ok though.

Full 13 for first time in 2.5 months with the hilly climb out to Beaconsfield and Penn.

Noticed the garmin had the big steep downhill as 240 feet with a 90foot down in the mile before too. But obvs that elevation was up in the outward bound bit. Just a bit more gradual.

The london road up Hammersley lane id say is near unrunnable. Yes i do that mad mile race which is a lot steeper but that's a race and in fairness unless you're a superb runner or a local who is a good runner you're staggering and walking good chunks!

Set this to private to avoid any " you could have raced xc" type fair but i think most people would understand a solo 7.24 pace job is a lot different to a grim hill fest race that made my run look flat today !
    Light red brown pee after. Second week in a row so I'll have to try and water a bit more the day before.
    Quickly going back to normal suggests it is a dehydration thing..even on a freezing cold day! But three weeks in a row will need to be checked out i think. Both after the long run..not after the ten midweek. But i drink a bottle of water on way before the latter. Could be the key differential.
  • Good work SG. You need to stop worrying what random people on Strava might think :wink:

Hammersley Lane is unrunnable because you are likely to get mown down as much as anything!!!

15.2 hilly miles for me today and not bad pace overall, considering it is still VERY muddy - 32 secs per mile faster than last week! In fact, the mud has turned into the consistency of Playdo, so for large sections I was running with shoes that must have weighed about 3 kilos each  :disappointed:

As it happens, my route was a big loop round the aforementioned XC race :smile:

• And ps - what did you drink before today's run?  I always drink two cups of coffee then a pint beforehand of about 1/4 OJ, 3/4 water, and that does me for all but the hottest days, even if I'm a little dehydrated from Saturday night. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Before was an apple juice, and a few swigs of Lucozade.

But i'm becoming a bit like I am before races with mere long runs these days, so maybe I leave myself a bit drained!

Will probably up the water the day before, and maybe have a water rather than the apple juice. It's often when you'd least expect it, ie not a ferocious hot day, but instead today, a gloves on, and not for a second wishing they weren't on day!

15miles in mud and hills I think sounds my actual nightmare!

• Mine too :smile:

You definitely need to be drinking more water before a long run. Not the day before, but just before - even up to an hour. The colour of your pee is proving that! Lucozade is just liquid sugar - totally unnecessary if you are eating properly, and with very little hydration value, and apple juice is not much better. Around 500ml of water should be enough for a run  of around 90 mins or so.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    But not so much that you're needing to stop mid run.
    Oddly this never happened on any hard runs or races. But i suppose after the hard runs a tonne of fluid goes down and in the race there's sips going on.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - proper hydration (as in pre a marathon) takes several days and would include salts as water would dilute levels. But in general drink lots of fluid, i would be pretty thirsty normally for the rest of the day after a long run, but in general drink a lot of fluid all the time......dont think there's any run when i wouldnt stop for a pee (maybe the odd 6 miler), i might stop for a pee 2 or 3 times in a proper long run, and not drink any during the run.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The odd thing is I don't do anything different, and can go 6-7 months without any issues. I suppose it can build up, especially as I'm pushing back on.

Today felt strong, even with a 7.38 first mile, averaging 7.11. That's more like it.
  • Likewise TR, I will almost always stop for a couple of pees on a long run. It’s not a race after all!
  • SG - In winter I just go for a big mug of Green Tea and I usually have a small flapjack 90 mins before too. I like a bit of a caffeine boost, but there's not as much in green tea and I feel it's better on the stomach than black tea.

Cracking day Friday. Spotted both Pete and Aley in quick succession and pre race had a chat with Pete about the first k and being careful - on the first corner (unlike one idiot who went over) and the undulations that make it tricky and dangerous if you go off too quick!

Great weather for it too. So went off and avoided the first corner drama and was happy to make the first k 3.16 rather than the 3.10 I did last time, so 16.20 odd pace rather than 16.00. Was with my HHH mate Hobley for a while on the first lap, but managed to get past him and just tried to home in on 4th. Onto the 2nd lap and wasn't feeling too bad. Can't remember checking the pace other than going through 4k on 13.00 - thinking that was ok as the last k is the quickest.

Had got past 4th about 500m before, but I'm sure I had recognised him from somewhere before...he was getting closer so I tried to push the pace on the left turn at the Police station and downhill to the lake. But he got me in the last 30m. Finished in 16.06 which was better than I had hoped. Spoke to 4th and realised that he had outsprinted me before at the Frank Harmer 10k in March!.

Nice debrief with Aley, Pete and a couple of others in the pub after, footie and running..Perfect.

Day on the beer Saturday and a curry to finish. Steady 7 to Dunstable Downs yesterday..only just made it to the toilets there thanks to the curry ;)
  • Oh on the clown/Magic shoes debate..Great podcast discussion on it here.

https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/bee6a41a-0d6d-4d76-bfe8-f1c75f90f45a
  • SC: you fail to mention that you were actually first. WAVA is definitely the way to go; and Pete will have been pleased with 8th I imagine! See you in March?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good to read about the mini thread meet at LFOTM! If I get the opportunity to go to the Big Smoke for work or anything at any point, I'll try to make sure it coincides.

SG, I was going to say I spend Saturday hydrating for a long run on Sunday, but in actual fact I always try to make sure I've drank a glass (4-500ml) every hour or so. Dehydration hasn't really been a problem that way.

Exciting to hear about the new WR set at Valencia yesterday, but a massive ball ache to read that the Abbey Dash was short.

TR, completely forgot to commend you on your outing at Gosport! You'll be in a good place for sub-2:55 come the spring.

Had a bit of a lighter week this week, with 6 x 1min fartlek on Friday, leading into a 4 x 5min progression on Saturday. Weather was awful, with a headwind on the unsheltered part of the circuit. Stepped down through 6:30, 6:20, 6:10 to 5:50/mi. Certainly hard work come the end. Followed it with a 90min long run on Sunday, totaling 44mi for the week.

Working out my target races for next year, and think I'll focus on 5km/10km for at least the first half - pencilling in Newquay 10km in early Feb and Eastleigh 10km in March. Bristol 10km (May) is out of the question as it's prohibitively expensive to stay the night beforehand!
  • I've also noticed recently that my left foot has started rolling outwards, wearing the lateral edge of the outsole - whilst my right is still a standard neutral wear pattern. I don't recall this being a big feature on previous shoes, so it must have been a recent change? Any thoughts on what might have changed? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought half the point of the long run is doing it in one go, not watering half the bushes in the area :)
    If Ric was still aboot, he'd love some of this chat

3.06 last km then Simon?!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TR, completely forgot to commend you on your outing at Gosport! 
    Chuckled at your wording here!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

2 pees on my 16 miler yesterday :-)

I've NEVER had to stop in a race or during a session. NEVER had brown / red urine after any kind of run. Scary...

• The point of a long run is to build endurance - not massacre your kidneys :smile:  A couple of quick pee stops aint gonna change the training effect! 

Very nicely done at LFOTM Simon!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bunch of outdoor pee merchants 😄😄
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Congrats simon

Matthew - eastleigh is a tear up, you can go quick there.

No peeing during Gosport, plenty beforehand though.

Two pees in Saturdays 16m, one before the 8m mp section, one after. 7m easy yday (1 pee, had a few beers Saturday to replace lost long run fluid). Back on the monday evening mlrs with 13m commute tonight (one pee), Preferred the mlrs in the summer.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    A few cans the night before surely helps with hydration? Usually dont drink or eat anything before a long run. Always look forward to a good feed in the latter stages of the run though. 

Nice work at the LFOTM SC. Is the course not busy with pedestrians? 

My 10k pb lasted about 4 weeks. Absolute massive cock up at the Abbeydash and a complete cover up by the organisers in my opinion.

They'd advertised this new route since at least Feb so its not just been done on a whim, late on. 

Its worth remembering that the course we ran this year was the course they used to run a few years ago so must've been certified at some point. The course has been a slightly different route heading out to the 5k poimt the last few years and the course measurer has been Alex Grant for them years. 
    He is now the race director along with Rob Cameron. 

Rob says the course was measured beforehand but doesn't state when. If it was measured beforehand then it should be logged on the course measurement site but there's no record of it. 

Not much to say on I was or am a runner as its the old pals act. RobT off here has a shield at the race in his name so back them up. Would've loved to run some 6 milers like they did back in the day. :-) 

To me it looks like they've set the course up as the old route and presumed the old certificate will suffice but in that time, street furniture etc has changed and it was 23m short. 
    Garmins and strava get a lot of shit about course measurements but none of the courses that have been flagged would ever have been found if it wasnt for them. 95% of people had leeds at 6.2 so goes to show how close it was. 

A large percentage of people get 6.1 at the likes of Wilmslow and Cheshire 10k and nobody bats an eye. The v59 fella who broke the world record for 10k at the Seeley 10k in Belfast this weekend. I follow a couple of lads who ran it. Look on strava. Some dont even have it at 6.1. Most around 6.13-6.15 and its fine. 

Bollocks. I'm not bitter though. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    And i thought you'd taken it with your usual exceptional casual ness 😜.

Every right to be annoyed. Every right!
    From what you say I think i'd be very worried that it was short the other years as well!
  • Cheers all for the comments..

ML - Feel your pain mate. I'd be livid - I'm still annoyed about the trip incident in that 3000 at Bedford :) the LFOTM is a little busy, but not too bad tbh.

MH - 500ml per hour the day before? I'm sure you don't need that much water mate, especially in winter.

SG - Yes 3.06 surprised me, but I had that guy on my tail - and if you can think back to that bit of the course, it's flat westwards towards the police station, then left downhill to the lake (the bit you do after about 1.5k on the other course), then a short left turn on the embankment to the finish. It's great race finish.

Pre work session as it's footie again tonight (Palace), so just did 10 x 70 secs/400m or so along the canal (off 60). Felt nice and fast
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt, tidy progression on the 5mins by the way..not sure on the change in gait. I suppose things can change over time with most things, so why not gait?!

SC - i can't recall where a police station is, but presuming it's still the course that has that underpass, and eventually you turn onto the last straight, then I get it!

6mile tempo today then, fancied Dorney Lake again.

Didn't want to pressurise, or leap straight in with a 6mile threshold, so gave myself some licence with a "start top end steady" job, and if it feels good progress.

In the end it came out pretty much perfectly,

6.26, 6.26, 6.21, 6.20, 6.18, 6.09
    6.20 average, so tracking not far off what I was using as bottom end threshold pre vertigo.

Will probably follow this up on Friday with the bookend on the track, 4x200, 4m threshold, 4x200 job.
  • Getting there now then SG. The bit of the course I was on about is when you go downhill to the lake, then turn right to go towards the end of the lake and under the road. 
  • After last night's match all I can say is....thank god for running.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, i was thinking, glad i benched Kelly, the Palace defender in my fantasy team, as they'll "never" keep a clean sheet for 70mins...

Then they did! Bournie are zero force away from home aren't they!

Usually follow up the Tue quality day with a single medium long, but due to a work lunch tomorrow, 6 & 4 instead.

Utterly freezing today, can't get much colder here can it?
  • Enjoyed the LFOTM reports - good work chaps, will make sure I get involved on the next one, rude not to being less than 15 mins from where I work.

SG - the cold is definitely biting now - don't mind it up until Christmas but then it can do one and I'm dreaming of the summer.

26 miles @ 6:17mm for me in Valencia on Sunday, good enough for a 2:44:41, always nice to bag another champs time.

I know I'm still on the stairway back to full fitness, so result was really encouraging and lots of positive takeaways. 5km splits were:

19:27
    19:25
    19:31
    19:20
    19:23
    19:32
    19:39
    19:36

Pretty delighted with the pacing, not much of a spread there, although that makes it look like I was in control - the last 15km were pretty horrible - hanging on by my fingernails. We had a pretty warm day, nothing to make excuses about, but about 20 degrees by the time I'd finished. 

Bit of recovery now before cracking on through the winter, short term goals of sub 75 at the Big Half and going under 17 minutes again for 5km. Just got to keep the hard work up.