Overdone it?

Comments

• > @DT19 said:

>

People not mentioned because they made it on to the TTT but came and went. Charlie, Velloo, Matty W, Chris F, another Rich and DH and if I can't remember Mr V, Madbee and Marrows real names I haven't got a cat in hells chance with them.

Kevin70 posts but has never made it on to the TTT.
    Hi All, I've started lurking again recently. I stopped running after my son was born as I couldn't seem to find the time or motivation. Then we moved to Ireland and I took up kitesurfing again so that fulfilled my required endorphin hit. But I started running again a couple of months ago, albeit very very slowly (I had to leave the watch at home for the first 6 weeks as the stats were too depressing) Then I had a slight set back with a pulled calf. But I'm up to 7ish miles on the weekend now and slowly increasing my weekly volume. I've entered the ballot for the Dublin marathon (Oct 2020) as a long term goal, so hopefully I'll keep at it. We live in the middle of nowhere so my nearest parkrun is a half hour drive - but I'll have to bite the bullet and lay down a marker soon.
  • Welcome back, Rich. Good luck with the return to running and getting in to Dublin marathon.

Yesterday I got rejected for the third year in succession for Berlin marathon. Will look at Frankfurt or Valencia for next autumn now.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Rich, good to hear from you!

Tommy, yep my 3rd successive rejection. It's supposed to be a 50/50 chance. I am biting the bullet and taking a charity place. I never raise cash and always see others doing so. I've found a good charity that require you to raise £499. However my race entry fee is only £40 then instead of £140 through ballot, so effectively if I put that £100 in the pot I only need to raise £400 which is pretty straightforward.

• Yay - 'another Rich' ;) is back!

From no running to entering a marathon - that's keen - anyway good luck with it and good to hear from you.

Kitesurfing - is that like windsurfing except they forget to connect the sail to the board?

What sorts of speed do you get up to doing that?

Unlucky on Berlin Tommy and DT (although you've entered by the back door DT). I've never run for charity but there are no shortage of people who think I am desperate to fund their kid's school because they are walking their dog 5k round a pond so why not?
  • Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It's 11 months away so I'm guessing that will be just long enough to get in shape, emphasis on the just. 

No idea how fast I've been kitesurfing, the world record is nearly 60mph, so slower than that, but still considerably faster than I run! 
  • GPS wobbles around the midpoint on straight courses so the distance measuring there comes out long but with modern watches and use of dual satellites the wobble is not massively significant, and sometimes it's consistently parallel to a straight track (i.e. no loss). On a tight curve the distance measuring can track inside the curve underestimating the distance (being interpolated as the distance along a series of secants). Or it can track outside the curve and you get a series of tangents that overestimate the distance around the curve. Or both cases as you move around the curve.

Measuring wheels can be accurate to around 1% so the 24m from the Abbey Dash could be between 14 and 34m ! And which runner knows if they ran the exactly measured route ?

On uncomplicated routes you can import the GPS file into MapMyRun and tell it to snap the points to paths or roads to get a better estimate of the distance. Or fiddle with the points by eye on the map if some are obviously out.

Welcome back Rich - good luck with the return to fitness and parenting.

Hard luck Tommy and DT. I've never applied for a foreign marathon - if the logistics for London seem expensive and hard work, I can imagine going abroad to be tougher. However after Hull and Yorkshire went tits up I had Valencia in the back of my mind as a Plan C. But when I went to sign up it was totally sold out with several thousand on the waiting list, so I was spared the hassle and cost. Still going to do a 10k in Barcelona on NYE though :D

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, I thought your interest in Valencia was next year, not a late one this year.

Usual Friday tempo over lunch. 8m aiming for about 160bpm. Ended up with 6.28mm for 161bpm which was almost surreal. 4 weeks ago, same loop, reasonable conditions, came out 6.36mm for  162.

Finished strongly as well today with a faster second half than first and mile 8 being the fastest at 6.21.

Bodes well for Telford next weekend.

• That looks good DT - I don't often run that far that fast !

Have you looked at the long range forecast for next weekend yet ? Depending on how the half goes this weekend, I might be looking to push the boat out at the pudding run. 
  • DT/Tommy sorry on the ballot news, good session DT

Muddy Barcelona NYE sounds great

Hi Rich, good to see you are back running

Only one run this week due to cold, 10 mls tomorrow, 18 week plan for Manchester marathon starts on Monday. Hopefully i can get a rsace in the new year to give me something to go on. 
  • Well the Lancaster 3-1-5 half was a mixed affair yesterday. Day before it was still icy in Liverpool at 2pm, and parkruns everywhere were being called off, so I didn't hold out much hope for the race going ahead. Headed up to Lancaster anyway thinking at the very least I could have a bimble along the riverside. At the race HQ they said the race was going ahead as the paths weren't too bad, so I picked up my number and went off to check out the paths on my warm up ... and found they were pretty slippy.

I muttered on the start line that it was a  'who dares wins' scenario. Once we got off it wasn't so bad though, and a shortened stride got me through the icy bits and I negotiated turns and bends very gingerly, mindful of the concussion I had last winter when I went over on ice. Apart from the hazardous course, I didn't feel right - a little too tired and a little too limb fatigued with the race rounding off a 50 mile week - and my body felt like it had the limiters on, so I dropped my effort to sub marathon effort around 5 miles. I was in 4th at this point and running solo. The rest of the race passed without much incident apart from dodging a wayward poodle and toddler on the path. Finished in 1.18.55 and 1st v45- average heart rate came out at typical for a marathon so was by far my best pace return on marathon effort since I started doing those kinds of runs. If I freshen up a bit, things are looking really, really good aerobic fitness wise. 
  • > @DT19 said:

> I wonder if we will hear from Mace again? He hasn't been back since looking like he wasn't going to be making the start line at London.

No sign of Mace running on Pof10
    Literatin is still doing XC but about a minute slower than last year - could be conditions though rather than her actually being slower.
    Mr V - can't remember his real name but don't think he did B2C yesterday.
    Lou has 6 listed races this year and still in sub 20 min 5k shape.
    Bob you've just mentioned is about to do his first HM
    Madbee - can't remember her real name
    McFlooze still visits
    Marrows - can't remember her real name
    Pete - was here at weekend but a while since he tested himself against the clock (Christmas Day 2018)
    Rich - is still running plenty and did a parkrun in Bedford a week ago in 22:40

People not mentioned because they are still here regularly - Muddy, DT and Tommy

People not mentioned because they made it on to the TTT but came and went. Charlie, Velloo, Matty W, Chris F, another Rich and DH and if I can't remember Mr V, Madbee and Marrows real names I haven't got a cat in hells chance with them.

Kevin70 posts but has never made it on to the TTT.

Original Rich gutted out a 1 second PB at Valencia marathon yesterday whilst getting blisters.

Nicely done Muddy, sounds like a very decent run!

I had a bit of a jog round Highbury Fields parkrun in London on Saturday. 5 and a half lap course, it was more than bit chaotic. The person who finished first, had only done 4.5 laps, whoops, so they had to adjust all the results.

• Still a pretty tidy time Muddy. My mate managed 1:29:42 to get under 1:30 for first time - he never even mentioned it was slippy.

Thanks for the Rich H update Tommy - still getting PBs, well done him.

Carlisle is a 5 lap course in the winter and that's chaos enough - adding another half on I can understand the confusion.

I managed 3 runs last week for the first time since I don't know when for a total of 16.5 miles. I did a very flat parkrun on Saturday, Penrith, with a friend who is into parkrun tourism. It's only 20 miles from home and a definite PB course but I just ran first lap with him and then had a blast round on second lap to finish in 22:07 - after first lap I was just behind 24 min pacer so splits might have been 12 mins, 10 mins which is encouraging.
  • Nice on the miles and the parkrun Skinny.

It may have depended on the shoes on Sunday, mine were the proverbial clown shoes and were therefore slippier ! :D

I had a nice sausage bap afterwards and picked up a bottle of cheap white wine for my troubles. Would have been nicer to stay longer and see the town :(
  • Haha - you won the prize I won 3 years ago - wine was the very cheapest.

It might have been my friend's fault (and ultimately mine) that you didn't get third place again. The guy who won is a dad of one of the kids at the school where my mate is head - I recommended the race to my friend as a great opportunity for his sub 1:30 attempt and perhaps he mentioned it to the guy who won - sorry - you probably missed out on another hairdryer or whatever it was you won three years ago.
  • > @SkinnyPart2 said:
    > Haha - you won the prize I won 3 years ago - wine was the very cheapest.
    >
    > It might have been my friend's fault (and ultimately mine) that you didn't get third place again. The guy who won is a dad of one of the kids at the school where my mate is head - I recommended the race to my friend as a great opportunity for his sub 1:30 attempt and perhaps he mentioned it to the guy who won - sorry - you probably missed out on another hairdryer or whatever it was you won three years ago.

I don't seem to have been granted edit rights yet but I've just remembered you were second 3 years ago not third. Apologies for downgrading your result.
  • Ha, the top 3 men and women were all walking off with slow cookers. I really fancied one of those !  :) Three years ago I won an ironic pair of hair clippers. It was either those or the foot spa. Two years ago I won an exfoliating mitt and loofer.
  • I've won a bottle of plonk at Lancaster too :)  Must try to get back there next year.
  • Well done Muddy. I've got a spare slow cooker you can have; collection from Fife. Meanwhile I have applied for my London marathon place so had better start doing some actual training. I did have a minor UniChall triumph last night though with 24 correct answers! The dog was very impressed, especially at my genuine knowledge of contemporary women artists in the second picture round. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, nice going at the half.

Sounds positive on last week and the parkrun, skinny.

Tommy, I find the limit is pushed on a 3 lap parkrun. 5 plus sounds crazy.

Kevin, what schedule are you following for Manchester?

Lit, good news re London, looking forward to getting my teeth into mara training after xmas.

Nothing major to report, just doing a taper week so a slight sharpener session planned over lunchtime. Conditions look reasonable for sunday at present. Also desperately hoping to avoid this nasty illness that is ripping through all the local schools. Thankfully my kids have avoided to date.

• > @literatin said:
    > Well done Muddy. I've got a spare slow cooker you can have; collection from Fife. Meanwhile I have applied for my London marathon place so had better start doing some actual training. I did have a minor UniChall triumph last night though with 24 correct answers! The dog was very impressed, especially at my genuine knowledge of contemporary women artists in the second picture round. 

24!!! Taking the ratio as 1 starter to 3 bonus questions that would give you 150 on your own (enough to win some episodes) - I beat Mrs Skinny by a more modest 11-9 to take a 10-9 lead in the series.
  • Hello - well done on the wine and sandwich, Muddy!  

I won a tenner on Sunday at Coombe 8 for 9th lady (!) so I join you on the thread prizes.  Had an enjoyable but extremely muddy run there.  Muddy will remember the last few miles being a large loop around a field with a few bomb craters to run in and out of.  It was so wet one of the bomb craters was flooded so you can imagine what the rest of the course was like!  It was certainly character-forming.

But generally I'm getting some consistency back to running with a solid 5 times per week and seem to be on top of my iron status again.  XC on Saturday at Welcombe hills in Stratford so more mud and hills.  And will be kicking off London training in a few weeks.

Good to see everyone is well.  

• Muddy, tidy time in my book.

Well done on the miles skinny.

DT Looking at the P&D schedule up to 55 miles :s

Managed 9mls on Monday with some at tempo, for me that was 8.20m/m, still fighting a cold and hr not playing fair. Had a few days off running last week but still lingering. 4mls recovery last night and some miles tonight.

• Kevin - that schedule has seen me right through 3 marathons (a few other people on the thread too I think).  

Ran up and down some hills at lunchtime, that was hard even though I only did three!  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mcf, good work on the prize. Do you have a gfa place for London?

People whinge about how hard it is to get into London. My club now only has one place allocated to it. This year, there was 1 application for the place. Worth joining a club not just to try and get better, but also to bag a vmlm place if that's what you want.

Kevin, I followed that for my first mara in 2014. It was quite a step up for me at the time and I found it quite tough, particularly with a 6 month old then. Some of the sessions are pretty brutal such as 7m at threshold so don't be scared to modify.

Sharpener session over lunch of 10 x 2 mins at 10kp off 1 min. Perfect conditions and kept it controlled with most reps between 6.05 and 6.15. Garmin said I was peaking after the session.

I'm on 1997m for the year now. Last year I hit 2088 so expect to get over 2,100 for the year.  

• Good to see you getting some consistency in McF and well done on the tenner!

Kevin, I very loosely followed P&D once and did ok. As DT says don't be afraid to adjust a session.

Decent looking session, DT. Hope you have a decent race on Sunday. I thought B&R were a bigger club than that. We've grown again this year and off the back of that now have 4 allocated places for London, these get drawn out of a hat from those with rejection letters at our Christmas party in a couple of weeks.

More base building miles this week.  

• McF - Yeah I remember Coombe 8 well. How was the stream crossing ? That last bit round the field and meandering through all the bomb craters is interminable - such a relief to finally hit the final straight. I wish, almost, that I'd been there, but the half was probably my better option for long term endurance building. Well done on the tenner and being 9th lady home  :)

I'm a P&D naysayer - seems well hard. I used the plan for ideas and principles and I picked and chose my sessions from it. Probably did about a third of the sessions in the 12 week up to 55 mpw plan when I trained for London in 2017. But then spent several  months after that recovering from gluteal tendonitis.
  • McFlooze well done on placing and monies :)

DT quality session and mileage for the year

Tommy easy miles my favourite

P&D looks like a mixed bag on here :s will plod along with it and see what happens. 7mls last night easy pace, might try and get out for some mp miles tonight.

• I liked P&D 55-70 miles. Most of the running is slow and it only really  has one hard session a week, so I don't think it's too gruelling. However, I did think some of the longer threshold sessions were a bit implausible, and I have never done the 7-mile tempo run (I followed the schedule 3 times). A lot of people on these forums (there is usually a dedicated P&D thread) claimed to do it but actually used half marathon pace rather than the 'pace you could race at for an hour' described in the book, and even then it sounded too much like hard work. I told my current coach about it and he just laughed and said 'you might as well just do a race'.

Ooh Muddy I wonder if it's the lower mileage of the up to 55 miles plan that makes the sessions seem harder, as they're a bigger proportion of total running?
  • I was curious about my mileage for this year after DT's comments. I thought it might be bit rubbish but it's looking like it will be similar to other years at ~2000 miles:

Time PeriodTotal DistanceAverage DistanceAvg Elevation GainAverage SpeedAverage Heart Rate
    20191,957.56 mi4.98 mi215 ft8.1 mph128 bpm
    20182,118.13 mi4.60 mi214 ft8.1 mph131 bpm
    20172,008.53 mi5.22 mi244 ft8.1 mph132 bpm
    20161,794.08 mi5.03 mi244 ft7.6 mph133 bpm
    20152,166.06 mi4.68 mi238 ft7.9 mph133 bpm
    20141,569.11 mi5.39 mi331 ft7.6 mph138 bpm
    2013327.76 mi5.56 mi383 ft7.2 mph144 bpm
    Summary11,941.23 mi5.07 mi267 ft7.8 mph134 bpm

You can see the aerobic and efficiency gains through the years as av. training speed rises and av. heart rate goes down.
  • Or just under 96 sixteen hour days running in last 6 years.