Sub 3

Comments

• Great efforts TT and Joe. Strong performances. Some great times floating about today so assume the conditions were good but still you gotta put the work in. Enjoy your recoveries.
  • How did you get on at Edwinstowe Wardi?

Peak flow down some more so no running for me. Doesn't look good for Brass.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Great runs TkTk (a pb at 51, 7 years after your last is impressive), Joe and rjr (welcome to the club!)!

LMH - I hope you feel better soon.

Not much going on here. 20m the week before last, 30m last week. All easy/brisk, though I had an urge for a quick finish to Saturday's 5m (last 1/4m @ 4:47 pace - not as impressive as it sounds as it's partially downhill) which is the first time in months I've actually fancied quicker running so I'm taking that as a good sign.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. I noticed fellow sufferer Jock Itch raced a sub 30 min 5m race last week, so perhaps it seems there are occasional highlights once you have found what you can cope with.  Best of luck with it.
    JoeB.. delighted to see you snuck under 2:45 for a champs time, great stuff!  How is Katy getting on with her foot injury BTW? 
    Tick Tock.. A PB at 51 is brilliant stuff, I'd wager those Cervezas went down very well. 🍻 You have also beaten me by a year as my PB was at 50  :/

LMH.. hope that lurgy clears soonest and thanks, I had a pretty strong run at the trail race all told. 
    I did the Parkrun at 90% effort the day before too which may or may not have helped.  I'd forgotten how undulating the course is through the forest, nothing steep but a few long drags - beautiful route though inevitably a bit more soggy this year.  Finished 72nd/532, a whole 2 seconds quicker than last year and 3rd old codger so celebrated at the local Indian restaurant on my return.
    After two races in two days just 5m easy today.
  • Good going Wardi.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see a smidge of progress

Wardi - good one on the indian celebrations.

Pleased to see that Tick Tock was polite enough to go one place behind me in the m50 rankings.

mlr monday, 13 very cold miles tonight, could be a long winter.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    9m inc 10 x strides today, it was another cold one too!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope you managed to keep warm for the 13m TR & more good miles today.
    Shiny new Samsung washer arrived today.  It is now plumbed in & tested so I'm out with the club later for circa 8m with a few hill repeats.
  • You really bare a domestic god Wardi :-)

TR - you seem to be keeping the thread going and doing more training than anyone else. After much should I/shouldn't I I ran today but just keeping the HR nice and low, hoping to have no adverse reaction but will probably just keep it easy for the rest of the week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Good installation skills wardi, another cold one this morning but i kept closer to civiliasation to benefit from the warmth of the steaming metropolis.

LMH - im on it for sure. Wk 2 of P and D. Operation sub 255 is underway. Youve only missed a couple of days though.

Had a look at the valencia results on p of 10, there were a lot of fast brits over there.

Nike honoured my cheapest order over the phone, apparently theres a pair of 4% in the post.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wardi - I wish you many happy years of washing and clean kit.  Congrats on the race on Sunday, a year on year improvement is fantastic and a decent placing.  
    TR - Yes, pretty nippy out there today.  Glad a pair of VF4 is on its way as you started the sprint.  Nike run a pretty slick operation as they've already notified me they've received my returned £146 pair and issued the refund. Yes, some super speedy performances at Valencia, very tempted to give it another go myself next year. 
    LMH - Slow and steady now.  
    After a rest day yesterday, did 11m in 3 - yes three - runs today, as working from home  based around local meetings.  All pretty easy pace as of last weeks 55 miles, 20 were fast > 6.30 mm.  Weighing in at 65.5 kg which is very good for me and have avoided beer/ alcohol for the past 2 weeks!!.  Got to work out what are my abc targets now.  Slightly trickier than normal as previously had some recent marathons to go on, but not raced since London and though the past month has been good training, the previous two were hampered. Ran 2.50 there in 2018 but this time I think a shade under 2.55 would be ace.   The VFs should help to, hoping I am a super-responder as apparently some people (back-heel strikers) don't really get the magic, most get the magic, some more magic than Tommy Cooper (V50 reference there).  
  • Good work TR and OO. Gotta have extra appreciation for getting the job done when the weather turns cold and it seems endlessly dark.

Recovery pretty slow for me but that's ok. Pain in the muscles has lingered a little longer than last full effort in April. Trying to be active walking to keep things ticking over. Exercise booked in for Friday and Saturday which isn't ideal bùt it's an annual trip with a mate so worth a go.

I've read P&D almost cover to cover. With shakespeare marathon end of April I can manage some form of the 18 week 55-70 plan although I need to be realistic as to whether 3 weeks recovery will be enough to start training. A 16 week plan would probably have been perfect so I'll likely try to blend elements of 18 week and 12 together. Will make a conscious effort on the flexibility and strength front as I know these are weak areas for me. I've only averaged 42 miles a week for the last two marathons so I know I've got many angles for improvement.

Keep on running all!
  • TR - good news on the shoes. Send me some of your motivation please!

OuchOuch - I reckon you'll be good for a sub 2.55. Interesting about the effect of the magic shoes, I'm still waiting for the smaller pair.

rj - why not just start the plan in week 3? 

I had a bit of a rough night as my cough is worse but RHR is down and peak flow up this morning so I shall wrap up warm and do some more easy miles though probably not the LSR I was hoping for today.
  • Thanks for the comments re; Valencia. Still a bit stiff and sore, but mentally ready to crack on. Hoping to carry the fitness forward with the Big Half in March in mind - would love to go under 75 minutes.

Wardi - thanks for asking, she's still in a boot but most of the pain is now gone. She's got a follow up x-ray on Friday which will reveal how well the healing process is going.

LMH - hope you start to feel better, just keep it easy until things settle down. 

RJR - I think 3 weeks sounds reasonable, as long as you allow yourself to rest properly. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good restraint on the beer, coming together nicely. Im a heel striker so.might not get the full Tommy !

Good to see Joe motivated to crack on

LMH - nicely motivated here as you say. After a lot of personal worse performance in 2018 and early 2019, i ended the year running a 1/2 at the pace i ran a 10k in january.......so i can sniff a sub 80 and getting close to a mara pb by Abo 2020, especially if ive just purchased some race day minutes....We'll have to wait and see how much of Tommy i am........just like that, hrrr hrrr.

9m this morning.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm pretty sure this podcast said heel-strikers made more gains with the clown shoes TR. Edit: Yep about 31:50 in "heel strikers gain more of a benefit. 5% rather than 3% for forefoot strikers"
    Congratulations RJR & JB. Good to hear KL is on the mend.
    GWS LMH.
    Back on it at last though feeling a bit of fatigue today after 102M in 10 days including some strides, three 6x400m sessions & a parkrun.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The Valencia marathon 2020 must be the hottest ticket in town, first tranche of 10,000 places nearly sold out!  Clashes with lots of other marathons I am keen to run around that time so on the fence for the time being. 

Jooligan -  some big miles there, nice one.

10m done with 6*800 metres. Only a few more sessions to go before the inspirational 'right here right now' Fatboy Slim Track,  the big bang and off we go.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you're back in the groove Jooligan.
    LMH.. I always run over-dressed and try and sweat out colds but if it's on the chest I guess more caution required.
    10m steady today, after last night's 10 x short but steep hill reps my legs were protesting a bit.  I used to live at the top of that hill so I know it well!
  • Nice miles Jooligan. Good to see you back.

Looks as though I may not be getting the magic shoes after all as Nike have refunded rather than replaced with the smaller ones - as I am definitely a mid/forefoot striker maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I do have to be a bit careful with the asthma Wardi but peak flow is nearly back to normal now though I still feel pretty rough.

When do you travel OuchOuch?
  • Jooligan said:
    I'm pretty sure this podcast said heel-strikers made more gains with the clown shoes TR. Edit: Yep about 31:50 in "heel strikers gain more of a benefit. 5% rather than 3% for forefoot strikers"
    Congratulations RJR & JB. Good to hear KL is on the mend.
    GWS LMH.
    Back on it at last though feeling a bit of fatigue today after 102M in 10 days including some strides, three 6x400m sessions & a parkrun.

Good going on the mileage. Presume it was the same podcast that I posted on Stevie G - fantastic analysis of the shoe and what it means moving forward.

https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/bee6a41a-0d6d-4d76-bfe8-f1c75f90f45a

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    LMH - Fly out Saturday morning (before the sun rises!) and back on Monday - mine and my younger sons birthdays (55&10).  My employer has introduced a new policy, whereby you can take your birthday off as special leave, so that, hopefully a sub 3 marathon in the bag and a chance to land the plane (I will after all have my magic shoes on) should make this a good day. 
    Easier day here, just 6.5 slow ones with the pooch.
    Tommy all round with the shoes then.   As a fellow Welshman, my favourite Tommy joke:
     "Doctor, I can't stop singing the green green grass of home."
    "That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome. "
    "Is it common? "
    "It's not unusual."
    I will get my hat.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Xmas joke alert.. I always thought I lived at the rough end of town.  I bought an Advent calendar today and half the windows were boarded up.
  • Sounds like a great way to spend your birthday OuchOuch. Will there be a party on Monday too?

Wardi - <<groan>>
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - 5% would be plain rude, ill have a listen to that podcast simon pointed out later.

LMH - id chase Nike up, and tell them you agreed an exchange esp given you got the cheapest price last week.

OO - did you enter Valencia 2020 ? Was the amount of brit sub 3s and esp all the sub 2.45s a result of a good day ? Or the effect of the shoes ?

My shoes turned up eventually !

13m mlr tonight.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good news on the footwear at last TR, nice miles tonight - blowing a hooley up here.
    LMH.. I knew you would like it.   :)  Re the refund.. a few mail order shops prefer to refund then you re-order, it seems easier for their accounts or whatever.
    OO.. have a cracking marathon weekend and birthday.  Not too many sherbets on Saturday night I presume?
    Another 10m today, got out mid morning before the rain & gales arrived. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    LMH - Me and my son hope so.
    TR - Probably won't enter Valencia as ran it already and massive hassle to get to London for a direct flight. Looking at a few I've not run such as Pisa. Race times were amazing with 10% or so sub 3. It's a fast course attracts fast runners now running in faster shoes.  Glad yours have turned up. Nice MLR. 
    Wardi - I liked the joke.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    OO the tier 1 entry for Valencia was already sold out by the time I checked last night (about 9:30pm) so the entry was up to 88 Euros. I'll hold fire for another year. Happy birthday for Monday & good luck in your final MV50 race.
    Loving the jokes chaps :D
    Yep that's the one SC. It was posted on P&D thread a week or 2 back. An excellent analysis.
    Steady 10K along the canal first thing then a 4M with 8x100m strides followed by 6x400m off 100m walk (45s). I kept the effort in check slightly on the 400s as I'm racing this w/e. Definitely starting to feel the benefits of regular mileage combined with some short rep sessions :) 
  • Jools- it’s a great podcast, the Nikes must be good if the boost stuff in the Adios give 65% energy return and the Nikes are in the mid 80%’s!! 
  • Wardi - we had to contact Nike to arrange the exchange in the first place and get a different returns label.

TR - I can't unfortunately as Mark ordered them as he has Pay Pal and I don't so I'm in his hands.

Is it xc this weekend Jooligan?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - wet and windy here too.

OO - yes, probably takes you longer to get to london than valencia (from london). Looks like a quick race though.

Jools - good progress.

LMH - as long as you have an order number and a payment card im sure you can get the order sorted yourself.

7 wet and windy miles today.