Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If you run the parkrun, you get a free ice cream afterwards as well!

Coventry just falls a bit too late for me I think, 3 weeks from London. But yes I do like the profile.; The point when fatigue starts affecting pace the whole course goes aggressively downhill.

• I did wonder about the wind affecting Bob's race Tommy - but he should well be pleased with that with a head full of snot to contend with.

McF- Cool see you there. I haven't run the parkrun course at Churchfields but when I did the Droitwich 10k in the summer there, I had a small warm up jog round the fields and they were all potted, churned up and decorated with some lovely cow pats. There's a nice ice cream parlour there that me and DT savoured at the time. Might not work so well on a freezing Saturday afternoon in January.

I've done the Churchfields parkrun, it was hard bloody work! Almost got lost in the maze which is the first part of the run, then in and out of about 7 fields and up and down countless hills, through plenty of mud and cowpats and then it was a good chunk longer than 5K! Did enjoy the ice cream afterwards though.
  • DT19 said:

Skinny, my result is on po10, do you get wava info from there? I am not sure I have improved it based on what is on the TTT table which must come from a different source to where I calculate mine as it is different to what I calculated my 5k wava.

Sounds like a good effort by Bob, hopefully he will have another crack. I am on the look out for a fast half first 2 weekends of March, that is also logistically possible without an overnight stay. Anyone got any thoughts?

I get your best WAVA from Powerof10 - if you sort the first column by best age grading it is the top result - unless the course is short or it's a non standard distance in which case it's the next one down etc.

Just looked - Telford is way down for you - your best was at Worcester parkrun 75.85% as per the TTT.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ah right, seen  it now. Appears that parkrun is my only chance of improving my wava then.
  • Tommy2D said:

Skinny - I'll let him know, see if he can put in a guest appearance.

DT - just looked at the results for Telford and I saw that it was won by a girl who came down to one of our club nights at some point last year, she was asking to run at 6 min/miles, which aren't typically on offer as an easy run with us lot, so she had to make do with the 7m/m group. Anyway, she never came back and then it turned out she'd joined Notts AC. Since then she's progressed pretty rapidly (to say the least!)

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=969051

Wow - speedy - 10 mins off a half in a year suggests more improvement to come.

• PS I ran in a gale and pissing rain on Thursday and a gale and a hail storm and pissing rain today. If I could pick I would prefer my body to be able to run in the summer months!

So planning a 4 mile run home from work tonight - wonder what weather will be like?

Gale? Yes

Pissing it down with rain? Yes

Okay good to go!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i had 4m in it earlier, very grim! I bet you've missed this, Skinny. 
  • DT19 said:
    i had 4m in it earlier, very grim! I bet you've missed this, Skinny. 

Actually I'm feeling quite lucky at the moment because I'm enjoying it whatever the weather!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    11m over lunch, absolutely hammered down from about 3-7m which then left me soaked and freezing cold in the cold wind for the last 4. Struggling to feel warm now.
  • Still no 'guest' appearance from BBB to tell us how shit he was. >:)
  • Muddy - County Champs have been moved to your stomping ground, Warley Woods now. Apparently conditions too bad on Churchfields and too much bad weather in forecast to risk it. I quite like that course so happy enough. 

Great to see you loving your running again, Skinny. 

7 miles for me including hill reps after work. Mercifully dry but only 3 degrees so gloves and head band on. 
  • DT alerted me to that McFlooze. It will help greatly with the babysitting costs and also mean we get a home support ! Mind you the woods can get pretty soggy but I don't imagine it will ever be as bad as Newbold Comyn when I ran the champs there.

Skinny - it was 10k of Bambi on ice for me tonight. 7m in the wind and rain yesterday. Really glad I planned this week to be a recovery affair. Treadmill tomorrow morning I think, such is the iciness.
  • Skinny great to hear, running and smiling in any weather :)

DT don't think the rain could be avoided over the past few days, weather up here has changed to colder

McFlooze hill reps within a run :s

Did wed thurs 7mls and 5mls easy running, hoping to do some MP miles on my run tomorrow

• Another 8 miles clocked up today. 4 miles yesterday. All very sedate in high winds that are starting to bite around the fingers too.

Anyone doing anything exciting at the weekend ? I've entered the local Turkey Trot (5 mile race) on Sunday but suspect the weather won't play ball.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i went back to walsall parkrun having run it in August. Had a pretty even set of splits in 5.53, 6.01,5.59 and 5.17 pace for scraps. came out 18.37 for an SB. 

It didnt start really hurting until 2.5m so i feel that if i can get to parkrun on 28th December i can chance my arm by going out harder. 
  • Hope the Turkey Trot went well Muddy.

Nice parkrunning DT - I've never got beyond the point of being seriously impressed my any mile times in a longer race that start with a 5.

My exciting weekend consisted of a game of golf, cooking a Thai meal for Mrs Skinny and watching the Strictly Final with a bottle of red and then a Sunday morning 3 miles at 11mm with her followed by a harder 10 on my own in 76:30 including a mid run stretch of my legs for 1.33 miles at 6:45mm pace. Now I'm at work for rest of the day.

I still seem to have a lot of stamina at long run pace but nothing very fast in the locker that I can sustain. Just an observation of what I've retained and what I've lost but happy to get another three runs in and if I can keep that up I'm sure the pace will gradually return. I'm not in a hurry.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's good going, skinny.

yes i agree with your point re miles begiining with a 5. it's a big physchological thing for me as when i see 5.xx on the watch i panic a bit that I'm going to blow up veey soon. I was saying to lewis (coach)today, that i feel like my body has made a fitness leap but my brain isnt convinced. 

Easy 12 this morning. Despite going out at 9am after a thai curry, beers and wine last night i felt pretty bouncy so just went with it so an average pace of 7.49mm. 

i seem to be at that stage where running isn't leaving any impact. Bearing in mind yesterdays parkrun then 12 this morning, faster than i usually would, my legs don't feel like I've run for a couple of days. Helps that I'm niggle free as well and at the weight i peaked at days before london in April. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Good long running Skinny and DT. Low mileage for me last week and a no long run ... need to get some long runs bagged soon.

I consider sub 6 min miling stuff in training to be really hard work and a tiny fraction of my training runs encounter those sorts of paces. I am pretty scared by my marathon effort paces coming out with 6:0x these days as that feels like a bridge too far over the full distance.

So yesterday I did my local Turkey Trot 5 miler. I was slightly knackered after a Friday night out and opted to take as much time in bed as possible on Saturday and Sunday morning. Rushing around to try to make the start in the nick of time was a bit silly too as I left my racing trainers at home, and struggled to find a parking spot, which delayed me further. I managed a mere 400m warm up, and left my leggings by the side of the track based start line. However the track was totally icy, so they got us off with a slow paced rollling start, like in Formula One. The exit from the track was up an icy slope and it was a bit chaotic getting out onto the muddy path surrounding the track, as people slipped and went over. By the time we hit the roads, I was way down the field with perhaps the slowest half mile start to a race in many years !

I was able to get motoring on tarmac and quickly moved up the field and could just about see the leading three ahead, and settled in around 8th with a couple of youngsters who were closing on 5th. Then disaster struck ... my shoe laces came undone (again!). In my rush to get to the start I'd only double knotted one of them. Aargh. So had to stop, get my gloves off (with car keys inside), tie up, get gloves back on before I could get going again. At least 20 people streamed past me in that process. Bah.

Well, a pb was already out of the reckoning due to the slow start (and with a finish on the icy track still to come), but there was still a shot at the vets prize I thought. The course was fairly boring, a bit undulating, through housing estates and bits of ring roads and some sludgy paths. Quickly made my way back through the field and felt very chipper when I turned back onto the road leading back towards the track. There was a fairly big gap to the chap in front and it wasn't closeable but I knew tI had a train of people behind me. Normally I'd be just about blowing a gasket by this point but it all felt quite easy so i was ready to stretch my legs if necessary. Back to the track and once again tentatively around the muddy paths and gingerly down the bank, trying to find a suitably de-iced line to run. Heard a cry and the sound of a body hitting the ground from behind me, as someone was tempted to hammer past me on the treacherous surface. Tiptoed 200m round the track then found the inside lane to be clear for a bit of a leg stretch to the finish in 28.47 for 11th and 1st v40-49. Everyone collected a big frozen turkey for their troubles, and my prize was a tenner.

•  "So yesterday I did my local Turkey Trot 5 miler. I was slightly knackered after a Friday night out and opted to take as much time in bed as possible on Saturday and Sunday morning. Rushing around to try to make the start in the nick of time was a bit silly too as I left my racing trainers at home, and struggled to find a parking spot, which delayed me further. I managed a mere 400m warm up, and left my leggings by the side of the track based start line. However the track was totally icy, so they got us off with a slow paced rolling start, like in Formula One. The exit from the track was up an icy slope and it was a bit chaotic getting out onto the muddy path surrounding the track, as people slipped and went over. By the time we hit the roads, I was way down the field with perhaps the slowest half mile start to a race in many years ! "

After reading this I was pretty confident I was reading a classic Muddy massive PB report but the shoelaces fuck up spoiled it. Only 10 seconds off your PB though so unless you also hold the world record for gloves off, tie shoe lace and put gloves back on then it was a PB performance despite the start.

And to win first 40-49 is pretty impressive (as usual) with all those minor disasters during the race. Well done! B)

• Sounds like another good race to me, Muddy.

Aniother Christmas themed race for me - Hooky Christmas Canter.  Large tracts of extremely muddy off road iterspersed with shorter on road bits.  First two miles holds a nice climb up a muddy track, followed by a  loop around and then return to start.  Managed to hold something back on the climb and then had a pretty good run where I felt strong and chased my GB ultra running clubmate (ok, she'd done a horrifying number of miles the day before but still nice to be in touch).  Pushed to the end, didn't fall over and got over the stiles unscathed for a 6th lady.  No prize because instead of giving out 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then the category prizes they had elected to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd senior and so on through the categories.  So have to buy my own pudding this year.  

Anyway, 20 seconds a mile faster than last year even though conditions were a lot muddier so happy with that.  
  • Cheers Skinny - I thought my 5m pb was low 28s, but  you are correct - it's 28.37 - in which case I beat it last weekend in the first 5 miles of the Pudding Run, just. I managed a restart watch fail too in the process of tying laces yesterday - so had no idea I was so close to a pb either. Worse, I can see from the trace that was captured that my slowdown with the laces cost me at least 40 seconds. Oh well.

Thanks, and well done McF. You can have my mini Christmas Pudding from last weeks pudding run if you want it as a post country champs snack in January. I can't find any takers. Also trying to find a home for a frozen turkey !  :)
  • Wow 20 secs a mile faster than last year McFlooze - very impressive!

Muddy the bad news is that you missed out on a PB because you can't tie your shoelaces but the worst news is that 40 seconds is well outside the world record for taking your gloves off, tying your shoelaces and putting your gloves back on.

• PS still no guest appearance from BBB unless the report is just with the editing team?

• In my defence of shoe lace re-tying sloth, my gloves were thick and woolly and they were damp with sweat and the finger bits turned inside out as I pulled them off from the wrist rather than from the finger tips.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's very good going in the all the circumstances, Muddy! I don't recall you be veggie, so why not just cook and eat the turkey??

Excellent work, mcf, that's a solid improvement on last year.

BBB, promised me that he was joining strava a few weeks ago as well. I am not sure you can add his time to the ttt unless he pops on here to officially confirm it!

• In my defence of shoe lace re-tying sloth, my gloves were thick and woolly and they were damp with sweat and the finger bits turned inside out as I pulled them off from the wrist rather than from the finger tips.

I think the sequence should have been - oh shit shoelace has come undone, keep running whilst remove gloves, stop running and tie laces, pick up gloves and start running putting on gloves as run.
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DT19 said:

BBB, promised me that he was joining strava a few weeks ago as well. I am not sure you can add his time to the ttt unless he pops on here to officially confirm it!

Correct I can't - it's in rule 3.4 subsection d) iv)

• I think the sequence should have been - oh shit shoelace has come undone, keep running whilst remove gloves, stop running and tie laces, pick up gloves and start running putting on gloves as run.

Skinny - I would love to have you by my side in a crisis. I noticed flapping laces, started slowing down, decided to stop, tried to tie laces with gloves on, and that was a fat fingered faff that wasted many seconds.

It's the giving season DT. I'm on my own from Wednesday so that's a lot of turkey to eat and the cooking logistics don't work as I'm home around 6pm-ish and would like to eat before 7pm usually.
  • You could butcher it down into portions, Muddy?  Or give it to a family in need for a faff-free warm glow.  I'm not sure I'll be needing a Xmas pudding AFTER Xmas but thanks for the offer.  

I think the progress on timings is really becauise I hadn't done many miles this time last year post-cruciate injury but it's a good place to start marathon training from.  I need to do a hard parkrun to gauge training paces for as all my races lately have been off-road. Maybe between Xmas and New Year.  

I got some good miles in yesterday though - 14 miles for a Monday longish run.  Furthest since June and felt tired but ok afterwards so feel like the endurance is coming back a bit.  Rest day today.  
  • Skinny running with a smile first and pace will come back over time

Muddy class running and prizes too

McFlooze good improvement on last year and longish run, are you doing Manchester or London

13mls on Saturday for me and 9mls last night, not much intensity just slow miles over the past while, really need to look at some sessions over the coming weeks :(