Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's a big distinction between your average Joe out for shiggles with their pooch - that's all part of the ethos like you say.

But strapping yourself to a dog, and screaming "on-de-lay" and machine gunning it for 5k is a totally different scenario. I wonder how many of those do that,don't care about the time?
    That'd be even more strange a concept than using the dog in the first place surely?

I wonder what happens if the dog wants to stop/sniff something without much warning. Do you go flying? Does anyone in range go flying? Or are these owners like skilled jockeys?

• Got an email from the club for membership renewal in 2020 and decided it was time to call it a day. Just looked at my po10 entry and I ran just 2 affiliated races this year so the £16 affiliation fee is nonsense and other than races I do not run nor train with the club. All part of my "embrace the joy of running" drive with the emphasis on enjoying the day in, day out training runs and not worrying so much about performances.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Muddy - do you mean in addition to the 10m? You couldn't actually win both races could you? As presumably it was simply a 2 lapper? One or the other job.

And I dare say you could have got more out of the 10miler - only very few people can run solo as well as they can in a quality gang. Although to your credit I think you are pretty darn good at doing just that!!

Phil - shame to hear,  but I was thinking how little you're on here and at races these days. It wasn't that long ago you were punting sub 1hr 20 halves, and doing 50 turnouts a year, but there's different phases in running, and maybe time for a new one.

I expect the lure of the Masters relays in May wasn't enough to keep you engaged either!

I must admit I wasn't actually 100% sure at continuing, but going on the club board means I've actually gone totally the other way. The online banter and connections with a lot of clubmates certainly is something I love - it can be a right old solo sport at times. Therefore, I dare say I'm in until 40 at least now.
    Can always ease it down/retire somewhere later ;)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Stevie - Technically I could have worn two chip timing bibs as I passed over the 5 mile timing mats starting lap two. I don't think it's morally acceptable though (so retract my whimsical 'wish' above), nor whether the race organisers would have permitted it.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG: Sure the 2 people you provided links to would care about times, but they are hardly the norm for parkrunners with dogs are they? Increasingly though, owners use harnesses as they are better for the runner and the dog; many of these runners like to do well and improve if they can, but that's just normal. If the dog stops for natural reasons or because it is distracted then most wouldn't worry; its just one of those things like tripping up or your laces coming undone that are no big deal in the scheme of things. I can appreciate it could be a bit intimidating if you are really fast and are neck and neck (or neck and tail!) with a top cani runner, but that is no reason to ban them; how would you anyway without also banning your shufflers with their pooch?

PMJ; good shout I think to make running more about enjoyment and think many of us are guilty of losing that mindset amidst all this racing/xc/parkrunning etc. . I'm thinking of doing the same and leaving my club for exactly your reasons. I did more races than you this year, but not enough savings to cover club membership and doubt I'll do as many next year. I also almost never train or run with the club anymore, so seems pointless being in it. xc's was my last justification but only finished 1 out of 5 of those too. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It just throws up so many questions.

Like if you were competing for the "1st place", do you have to get ahead of the dog, or just the other runner?
    Could you distract the pooch by throwing some scooby snacks into the bushes?
    How do you steer the dog to take the right turn? There must be quite a skill to it. I doubt any mug could just strap a dog on and race well.

My question of what happens if the dog stops wasn't about it affecting their time, more about what happens if it stops immediately and catapults you into a tree or the swim, or means you fall taking a waft of shufflers on lap 2 out.
    Thank goodness I've never been near any of these lot.

I'd pay up to 50p to watch someone attempt it on the Wycombe Rye course - as the route takes you straight back into 75% of the field :)

I remember Harry J, thread forefather was once almost taken out by someone starting on the front line with their mutt, and that was just on a leash :D 

But you are right, you can't ban them - as parkrun is exceptionally loose on most things. Although super strict at other times, like if you dare spell/format ParkRun wrong, call it a race, or attempt to do 3 races on that day of the year it's logistically doable.
    (Although some parkruns, do ban dogs I think you said?)

ps yes it is almost time for my annual jabber about doing the treble...looking up all the options, then eventually realising I find doing one is a hassle, let alone 3 back to back!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muddy - you'd have been even more sheepish at the awards giving, then I used to be when winning a stack of the Marlow championship trophies each year!
  • Nice work on the 10 miler muddy - not easy to PB on a solo run when you're not feeling 100%!

The only time I've been bothered about the Cani-X crowd was obviously when I was directly impacted by the result. Did Lullingstone parkrun and was neck and neck for most of the 'race' with some chap being dragged along by his dog.

I very nearly said to him mid-run; 'surely you're going to let me win as you're being dragged along by your dog'. Ha. Eventually pulled away and won by a few seconds anyway, but it was a bloomin hard effort! The dog did also nearly get tangled up in my feet on a couple of occasions, and the bloke even had the cheek to egg him on to 'chase me' and I felt like I was being hunted down!
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Nice one Muddy! Bragging rights for sure there!

SG only managed to pee mid run once - pushing for the win at a triathlon, so in fairness the clothing made it easier and a well timed water stop/throwing cups over myself made it a bit more subtle! 

I'd love to give cani-x a go, it looks hilarious. I can imagine a full field of runners and dogs would be pure carnage!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Would be an interesting handicap sweepstake lotto.

Round up some local mutts, and see which one you get drawn.

Unlucky if you get the st bernards or rottweiler.
  • There are a few cani-x peeps at Wycombe parkrun. I've been tripped by one harness, but to be fair, I've also been tripped by small children and large runners! So long as they don't bite me I'm fairly relaxed about it :smiley: 

Lovely afternoon yesterday - spent most of it either lying on the bed groaning or sitting on the toilet moaning!  It was that sort of feeling you sometimes get after a particularly hard half, and not really sure whether I was ill or what - net effect was the same!  I had no dioralyte so rehydrated with  750ml of electrolyte rich fluid with live gut bacteria AKA Leffe Brune! Did the trick nicely and I actually felt alright after that :smile:
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

thanks for that Bus!

Very quick Muddy. Nice work.

PMJ - ah, that's sad. I hope you'll be back, have really enjoyed having you as a club mate. Your recent 10-days-in-a-row-things-about-running-thingy on Facebook was very club focused so maybe you'll feel like you need a club again at some point. Totally respect different phases and different approaches though.

SG - one time I was racing Simon Long + (little) dog at Upton. He overtook me to get in to the lead with about 600m to go when the dog abruptly stopped and started lapping up a puddle. That really made me laugh. I was laughing less when they caught me again in the back straight!

I went to a new(ish) local(ish) parkrun on Saturday. 50 folks turned up and I was 1st home by about 90s in a very modest, slip-slidey time. Won't be going there again :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you don't donkey balls yourself more often with some of your insane length mountain runs!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So tomorrow, I'm weighing up an attempt at a straight 6mile threshold job, be it Dorney Lake or track (former would be a world of pain if today's wind was the same), a steady to hard 6m (like last week's Dorney, but maybe harder end than last week) , or alternatively, a 6 or 7miler from Johnas last year that increases pace each lap from the fairly meagre 8min miling, through to 5k pace (track job)

Thoughts?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Is anyone else seeing Anne Summer ads on this site? Almost browned myself when seeing some of the...ahem "items" pop up on a big screen :o
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool said:

thanks for that Bus!

Very quick Muddy. Nice work.

PMJ - ah, that's sad. I hope you'll be back, have really enjoyed having you as a club mate. Your recent 10-days-in-a-row-things-about-running-thingy on Facebook was very club focused so maybe you'll feel like you need a club again at some point. Totally respect different phases and different approaches though.

SG - one time I was racing Simon Long + (little) dog at Upton. He overtook me to get in to the lead with about 600m to go when the dog abruptly stopped and started lapping up a puddle. That really made me laugh. I was laughing less when they caught me again in the back straight!

I went to a new(ish) local(ish) parkrun on Saturday. 50 folks turned up and I was 1st home by about 90s in a very modest, slip-slidey time. Won't be going there again :D

Sounds a good result this time of year, with less than solid footing!
    And a win is always great....

I've done smaller field parkruns and come 3rd!
  • Nope, only you SG - must be cause you said "donkey balls" :smile:

nice, erm, first finish Wool!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Just running shoe ads for me SG. What have you been searching for online?  ;)
    Don't blame you Wool: keep your record intact & why would you revisit a slip slidey course anyway? Unless it was suitable for XC spikes in which case it's good training.
    Bad luck Bus - I've been similarly afflicted since Telford yesterday. I blame a new beer I bought Saturday: Innis & Gunn Bourbon Barrel Porter 7.4% Had a bottle Saturday night & another yesterday. Pleasant 5M along the canal at lunch nevertheless & no ill effects.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Those beers sound good, Jools and Bus. Proper Job or Ghost Ship are my current faves.

Enjoyed the canine Parkrun stories, i know lots of folks like parkrun, ive never run one and like to thonk of them as being there in a sport for all way, with lots of beginners etc up off the couch (and doing their 5k). I always think of folks going to parkrun to race/run fast as being similar to folks showing up in shorts and vest to the parents race sprint at junior school sports day.........probably just me though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Competitive? Winners? Those type of characters? 😜😘😉
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    TR, nowadays it’s Vaporfly too 😀.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    SG - i imagine all sorts of running newbies lining up, with kids, buggies, dogs. A couple of work folks do the odd parkrun, they tell me on a monday that they did their 25mins, they dont need folks like me beating them by 5mins plus.

Wool - for sports day or parkrun? Parkrun no doubt.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Parkrun is a huge scene for club runners. A lot of our lot are obsessed. Some will still insist on doing it even if there's a Saturday race on!
  • Worst are the ones who won’t turn out for big club races but are seen doing Parkrun. Doesn’t happen often at HHH thankfully LOL
  • Hello SG! I have been to a cani-x class, so can report that you teach the dog 'left' and 'right' but you have to yell it way in advance as the dog is about 2 metres ahead of you. Unfortunately my dog is only 9kg so although he can run a lot faster than me, he's not really going to do much for my times. 
  • So the southern masters xc at Oxford Horspath (Shotover Hill)

Caught the train this time with the HHH stalwarts as the missus was doing Chiltern league. the SEAA decided to hold this on the first weekend of the month rather than the traditional 2nd weekend. well done....

So decent warm up and we were off. Not had a real sniffle in the week before, but more bogies than usual (sorry but you know what I mean). Pre race look at the other runners, not a great field, but Howard Bristow and his brother were running for Brighton, plus Craig who I knew from up here and I beat in the 3000 at Wimbledon, but is a 32.xx 10k runner. Plus Ben P who lives near you lot and Jon my team mates - 3 to score.

Went off quite strongly - hmm wondering if this was a good idea. White vest was off quick (Tegs Jones) and I was following Howard. We go behind the track, round a little hill and out into the long trudge towards the hills. Feeling good, but an orange vest goes past both me and Howard into 2nd, I’m in 4th. So hit the hills and keep the same place, (briefly into 3rd coming down the hill) – but during the long muddy straight towards the end of the first lap I realise that the legs aren’t playing ball as I had hoped. Hearing steps behind and it’s not surprise that Ben and Craig come past, putting me in 6th, then John a little while later, pushing me down to 7th as we come into the start field for the 2nd lap.

Now it’s just trying to stay with John and get round the 2nd lap. In reality I was about 25 secs infront of 8th, but it was a struggle – just needed to get the hills done for a 2nd time. So it wasn’t nice, but ended up 7th. However, team wise Howard had managed to win it, meaning Brighton won the team prize but one point. I was 3rd V45 behind the orange vest (nearly 50 and coming back into the sport – talented kid etc…) and Ben P.

Nice couple of pints in Oxford and a tinny on the way home. Then a few in LB with the LBAC mob. So perhaps went off a bit too quick- or not feeling 100%? Not sure. One thing though. My quads hurt more than they did after Berlin. Bit weird.

Anyway, good day out at least. Only 5 miles on Sunday, 14 yesterday – usual long commute and then planning the horrible 4 x 2k or 8 x 1k in Regents pk at kunchtime.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin said:
    Hello SG! I have been to a cani-x class, so can report that you teach the dog 'left' and 'right' but you have to yell it way in advance as the dog is about 2 metres ahead of you. Unfortunately my dog is only 9kg so although he can run a lot faster than me, he's not really going to do much for my times. 
     <3 
    How've you been?

I put a post to you on the skinny thread the other week, but you probs didn't scroll back the few pages to see it :(
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:
    Worst are the ones who won’t turn out for big club races but are seen doing Parkrun. Doesn’t happen often at HHH thankfully LOL
    I think Wool pulled this stunt last year, didn't you old son ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon, as it's guaranteed you'll have raced well, I dare say the "pint count" is the main read of your pieces :disappointed:
    Good turnout.

After Friday's slightly freestyled/edited job, I just wanted to do a solid tempo - 6miles, and no messing about.

Last week I'd coaxed myself into thinking I'd start "top end steady" and it progressed.

This time I just thought i'll keep to threshold "effort" (for Muddy :) ) and see what happened.

Forecast at Dorney said it was "light wind" of 9mph at 7am, although 40mph winds at 2pm...
    I always forget Dorney Lake is a different game to Dorney the town :)

Whereas last week was fairly moderate all in, today was moderate one side, and fairly heavy the other.

Therefore, you get a pretty unbalanced set of mile splits, but pretty obvious where the wind kicked in.

6.11,6.17,6.26, 6.13,6.21,6.15

That last mile was actually 6 dead on my watch for a lot of it, but the quarter mile or so into wind brought it down to that

6.18 average, so with the wind, that'd probably come out 6.10-6.15 on the track or a still day, but I think these windy ones work well for getting a session in with tougher conditions, the opposite of what people say with track stuff (although wind on a straight of the track when you're doing 20-30laps aint no picnic either :) )
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    SCoombes2 said:
    Worst are the ones who won’t turn out for big club races but are seen doing Parkrun. Doesn’t happen often at HHH thankfully LOL
    I think Wool pulled this stunt last year, didn't you old son ;)

Did I? Really?

It wasn't the weekend when I wasn't supposed to be back from Texas until Sunday morning and resultingly said I couldn't run the 12 stage was it? I know I got back early and it didn't go down very well! Really cnba to justify my actions at times. I saw Mark F getting stick for running on 'work hours' the other day. He doesn't even work!

There are some very irritating people at the club trying to get teams together at times. What irks me most is being berated by folks who can't be bothered to train but feel like it's OK to bully others who make an effort to be fit / train to then take part in events they really don't want to.

parkrun forever <3B)

Simon describing exactly why I don't do XC. Oh, the pain. Great racing though!