Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54 said:
    Sounds like a sound financial decision PMJ I imagine it wasn't an easy one though.

The finance is not so much the driving force. I sort of feel if I have paid to be affiliated then I need to make use of that and I don't really want to.

SBD. said:

PMJ - don't forget you promised us a Sub 20 Parkrun time before the end of 2019!

Will 20:04 do?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

PMJ - that's close, but technically the wrong side of Sub 20.  Plenty of time left to dip below the barrier! 
  • PMJ - how long have you been a member of the club? I might get around to joining one when I retire if I can still put one foot in front of the other!
    OO - hope you finished your shopping :) Looking forward to seeing how you get on in Malaga.
    Ian - is Seville mara early next year?
    SBD - yes, only 2 weeks to the 23rd now! Nice prep for your recovery run :)
    16 miles this morning - 6 @ 8:06/m and 10 @ 7:27/m.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I do like your pace changing runs, Gul. I don't seem to be able to do that for those distances first thing in the morning.

A welcome return to hill reps last night. 6 effort repeats as part of a 5 mile route. Left calf still isn't 100% but got it on the roller when I got home and feels fine today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Gul-Seville is feb 23rd so suddenly its not too far away.
    Plan is aim for sub 3 at some point next year so I'll see how it goes in the tun up and decide then,minimum I want sub 3:05 to put me 5 mins under GFA.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Do you feel you need to do anything different to achieve Sub 3 Ian or just more of the same?

Good hill reps G-D.  I keep thinking I should do some hill reps but there never seems to be enough time.

That's a good pace on the 15 miler Gul. You should definitely be targeting a Sub 3 at London.

Sounds like good conditions in Malaga OO - when do you fly out?

10 miles with the middle 10K as a tempo late afternoon.  This is becoming my regular Tuesday session.  On the treadmill again, but this may well be the pattern going forward!  A bit of a mental struggle but 10K covered in 39:17.
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Neck issues, herniation at c6/c7. My right arm, shoulder and neck flares up and swelling in hand.
    2 years ago I used to run consistently under 18 minutes in my Park Runs and last marathon I ran 3:20 back in October 2017.

Now I struggle to run 22 mins in my Park Runs. I only run once or twice a week. I take lyrica nerve pain at night and waiting list to see a neurologist to see what can be done about my neck. I have had epidural injection that was ineffective. I have also done physio, chiro and osteopath all ineffective for nerve pain.

I hope to come back and run another marathon but it will be physically and mentally challenging running with chronic neck pain. Coming back with less fitness, weaker than before and trying to see if I still have what it takes to complete another marathon and fight through physical and mental pain of 42.2km again. It will be tough to fight the inner demons/voices telling me I am too old/fat/slow and  take it easy. 

Watching videos of Michael Jordan take 3 years off and play 2 more years with an ageing body, injury prone and nothing to lose has inspired me to train again towards another marathon and reach my 10th marathon finish and work towards 250 Park Runs.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-It's hard to say really,logic says I need to do threshold work and some speed work,body says keep as I am as I am managing to run when I want most weeks,main aim will be to inrease mileage to average over 50,current best is 43,and see how close that takes me,I went from 39 to 43 last year and went from 3:14 to 3:07 so still improving.
  • GD - good hills reps. Re the change of pace, I think you just dive straight in with the faster pace :)
    Ian  - good plan.
    SBD - that's a great 10k on the treadmill. Sub 3 would be amazing; let's see how it goes :)
    sub17parkrun - sorry to hear you've had such a rough couple of years. Hope the neurologist can sort out your neck and you can train for that marathon.
    Easy day today. 3 miles and a 30 min swim.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's rough sub 17 but you have to take whatever time is needed with a dangerous injury like that. Many of us are running well in later years so even if it turns out to be a long break you speed and talent are waiting for you- chin up.

I fly early Saturday. Did my last run in anger last night at the club GP and felt good. 3.6 miles, average pace 5:58.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

My club renewal is due. I haven't trained with them since July 2013, 4 days before my 2nd child was born. However I make my membership back with the reduced race fees and running certain races for the club that I enjoy and the club pay for.

OO, nice pace on the club gp.

Ian, I do think a decent weekly tempo at a bit faster than mp, of around 7-10m is a useful run and it doesn't cause too much damage to the body.

Nice tempo, SBD.

Good work on the 16, Gul. I also find it hard to just switch over the pace to that extent. I would basically need to treat it as a warm up, stop for a minute or so then start again at the next pace.

Sub 17- sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully you'll get that sorted and regain former fitness.

Recovery 6 Monday and then 4 last night in awful conditions. 11m mlr over lunch today. It absolutely hammered down from 3-7 miles which then left me freezing cold and soaked for the remainder. It did encourage me to pick up the pace in an attempt to get warm so ended up 7.59mm pace for a pretty low 139hr.

You may recall a month or so ago I posted the link to those futuristic looking leg devices I had purchased. They arrived last week and I have used them everyday and I must say my lower legs (which are constantly sore and very tight) have never felt better. The experience of using it is also quite enjoyable. It's just a 15m cycle sat on the sofa.

My fitbit recently died and have been looking at a replacement. I only really use it for hr and sleep tracking so question whether any old tracker will do. In looking I have seen this rather elaborate device for half the cost and wondered if anyone else had experienced a device of such detail and whether the stats it throws up are to be believed? I'm struggling to see how a £59 device can do so many quite in depth measurements and do it with credibility.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YMQ2BNK?pf_rd_p=f20e70b1-67f9-48d1-8c78-ba616030b420&pf_rd_r=CSR08GQM9MX4XYAK5BM3

• OO - very tidy final run. Have a good flight and a great race.
    DT - the paces I quoted were average paces; so probably not quite so big a jump in one go (just checked and it was 7:58 then 7:36 for miles 6 and 7). Lovely conditions for your lunchtime run ;) No idea about fitbit type devices, I'm afraid.
    Easy run this morning to arrive at the polling station at 7:01 then home to complete 9 miles a few metres past my house :)
  • The polling station was next to my house so I had to run away from it to get back to it.
  • In their wisdom, our local council amalgamated 2 polling stations into 1, so we had a constant stream of people at the Church wanting to vote (obviously hadn't checked their polling cards) and having to be re-directed. I stuck a big notice up outside when I left at 7pm (should have done it at 7am). Not that it made a blind bit of difference here (council estate in the middle of Tory Norfolk heartland). Up till 2:30am and didn't go out for a run :(
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Recovery run with strides in Cambridge on Wednesday so running back to the polling station was not an option.

The wristy thing looks very comprehensive DT!  Can you post the link to the leg devices again - you've renewed my curiosity!

Good pace on the GP run OO.  Good luck for Sunday, don't go off to quick and believe in yourself.

Sounds like you're in control Ian - I'm sure the Sub 3 will come.

10 miles progressive run late afternoon, from 8:20 down to 6:24.  Felt harder than it should have but good to have ticked off.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sound tough SBD but impressive. Thanks and I'll report back Sunday. I'll be there with Ouch Ouch and Jimbob in case you know them from other threads. All dreaming of sub 3 but let's see.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Lost 10 days training due to sickness/ flu and just making a start back again.Feeling a lot slower now but will climb back up the hill again lol needless to say a sub 1:30 half ain't happening this year now... Or anytime soon
    Cracking runs from Ian and Dt noted if not quite what they wanted.
    Surprised at Pmj giving his club the boot!
    0054 goodluck Sunday 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-good luck for the weekend.
    Short week this week,busy week in work so only managed 3x8.5 miles,off to barca for the weekend,then hopefully get going again next week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, good luck tomorrow. 

SBD, nice progressive. I'll dig that link out. 

Leslie, if you've been that rough it may take a few weeks before your body is up for letting you really work so take it easy. 

Went to parkrun today. Ran a pretty consistent set of splits with 5 53, 6.01, 5.59 then 5.17 for last bit. Came out 18.37 for an SB. Will have one more crack at bettering that 2 weeks today.

Weighed this morning the lowest I've been since i peaked my weightloss 5 days before london. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Busy drinking beer so will report in detail later, but pleased with a 2:58:07 on a windy Malaga course. Happy with that 👍
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent result OO, you're making Sub 3 look easy! Enjoy the beers ...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Good man OO, another sub3 bagged. Enjoy the beers.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great work, OO 
    Image result for thumbs up emoji pic
  • 0054 great stuff  you are getting the hang of these mara's , enjoy the pints.
    Very icy out today so took a rest day 
    Dt cracking parkrun weight loss helps a lot doesn't it with the speed.Agreed it will take time to get back so no point thrashing myself just yet.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lovely work, oo! Looked like you were making merry enough yesterday from you fb pics! 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's an excellent time at the parkrun DT and good work on the weight. I must have put on close to 5kg since Abingdon - very poor discipline on my part!

Bad luck on the lost training Leslie although 10 days won't have lost you much fitness.  A couple of days training and you'll be back to where you were.

16 miles long run early morning at Eton Dorney Lake.  I'm not used to running so early at the moment and the first kilometre of 5:24 didn't do anything for my confidence!  Managed to pick up the pace progressively, finishing with a 4:33 final kilometre and an average pace for the run of 7:45.  Good to be back up at 16 miles although 20 miles in a couple of weeks time could be interesting!

• OO - I'm super impressed with your result. I've been pretty diligent with my training since my marathon and while I'm hitting the same paces in my subLTs, I'm only able to get up to about 6 miles (instead of the normal 10) at those paces. No way I could have gone out this soon (like you!) and repeat (or as you did, improve) my time. Awesome work. You are my hero!

I've been ticking away nicely. Contending with ice and snow for bits the past month. But all my easy running is happening at much faster paces than normal. Not sure if that signals some shift  on the way (a new gear for xmas?!!). ;) 

Hope you all are well!
  • BTW SDB, I too have put on a few pounds over the same time period. No self-control whatsoever! I'm really impressed with your weekly 10K effort (and on a treadmill!). Beast.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks VT. Maybe look me up on Strava (Greg Penn) and we can compare notes. I'm averaging 50 miles a week all year round but most of that is slow plodding runs below 8:30 pace. I have a couple of quality sessions per week including a flat out parkrun. Im also doing long swims 2-3km once or twice a week. 

Malaga was a lot tougher than York. A good few inclines and sea breeze that felt like it was against you the whole race. I more or less ran the whole course at 6:45 pace going through half way in 1:29:20. I kept this up until 22 miles then picked it up about 5 secs per mile to empty the tank for each of the last few miles. My hips were getting sore but my legs were fine. The only other issue I had was a quite bad stomach but it held out, except for some windy moments en route. I hammered out a 6:36 last mile which could have been quicker but for a few twists and turns in the city centre. Then 6:02 pace for the last 0.2 miles, for a negative split and a top 200 finish. I had a feeling I was in good shape but you never know until you get going. This is a new PB, but with less wind (weather self generated) it possibly could have been a tad faster. Time for a few weeks rest and easy paced runs over xmas, ahead of the Brass Monkey in Jan.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That is fantastic OO! Congratulations on another awesome run. As someone else said, you're making this look easy.

Got out for a 13 on Saturday over the trails. Feet spent of lot of time under water or covered in mud, it was proper swamp-like out there, great fun and a good workout.

Recovered yesterday with a 5 miler. During both runs I could feel sore hammies and glutes after I gave them a good strength session during the week. probably overdid it.

Annoyingly, the left calf has some tiny pinpoint pain where I had it before New York. Not sure what to do about it. Run through it as it's not affecting my runs or rest for a while to see if it can go away again?