Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting out OO, it was raining in torrents here around 5.30-6.30pm and blowing wildly.
    Nice one Charlie, another thread day out!
    Menn.. good outing in carp weather, I began to get used to 'Indian summers' in Sept/Oct in recent years but we didn't even get that this year!
    Nice 9m done TR, did you manage to avoid a wetting?
    Jooligan.. congrats on a solid outing at the XC.  BTW the Heslington Parkrun course is still runnable up here but the cobbled section has a LOT of standing water on it.  Not going to improve much at this rate.
    SJ.. my washer is in an attached garage with isolated plumbing points so installation was pretty straightforward TBH.  Just a bit miffed that nearly all washers seem to be cold feed only now whereby we have a large hot water tank upstairs!  Sorry to hear about Mrs SJ, our club have a 'run and talk' jog once a month and we do have a couple of mental health ambassadors due to the extent and awareness of the problem now.  Best of luck with the new job too. 
    Selbs.. a literal PITA indeed if it's still hanging on post Abingdon - hope you can get it sorted.  Have you considered acupuncture or cortisone if all else fails?
    Managed to get out this morning before the wind/rain got hold, 10.4m done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wardi - every run is either wet or cold at the mo.

Was on the road early for a work trip today, lots of driving, work issues and a long day, meant that forcing myself out for a tired and hungry 7m at 7pm was one of my proudest runs in ages.
  • TR - you've well and truly got the bug!

Wardi - that's an impressive set up on the mental health front. I can't say I've suffered any serious mental health issues in my life but my ability to handle situations and my mood are definitely worse when I'm not running. I'm a big believer in exercise for mental health.

I feel like I'm missing out here by having had a fully working washing machine for the last 3 years.

How bad a stretch of weather have we had?! The wind yesterday came out of nowhere. Hasn't affected my running in the slightest because I haven't done any. My knee has been sore since Saturday and so I've taken some extended time off. I had something similar during training a month or so again and it didn't actually have much of an impact on training. I may test it out tomorrow. In the meantime I did my first little strength training session today. A timely reminder of how terrible my balance is and how useful it would be to improve it.

Had been hoping to get down to my local running club to see what sessions and training partners etc are on offer. But they picked my first free Wednesday to have their christmas quiz. Rude!
  • I think TR has my motivation and self discipline - I'm really struggling to get myself out of the door lately.

Hope your knee is soon sorted rj.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wardi - Ticking over nicely, with Barcelona as the tasty prospect on the horizon. That's so progressive with the club and mental health ambassadors. My daughter is working towards qualifying as a NHS Psychologist.  It is a strength that people now can open up and share when they are experiencing issues, long may that continue. 
    TR - That's the equivalent of a 11-0 victory at Stoke City on a wet Tuesday night.  Well done, got to get it done. 
    LMH - Hope dry clear and sunny mornings return soon, this weather is the pits. 
    Safely navigated 2 days of back to back out on the road meetings and y'days Christmas party - with just one beer and a glass of wine, but they tasted soooo good.  WFH today so time to cut back on caffeine, a debut run for my VF4, time for a bit of a vitamin boost and give a creaky left knee some attention. Otherwise, good to go.  Temps looking good, 19C in the day about 14C at the start.  Feel if everything goes right for me around 2.52-53 could be on the cards but a sub3 as always is target A. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    LMH - you need to find some targets i guess. Im chasing 80 min at worthing or fleet.

Amazing restraint OO, id have struggled.

9m more in the pissing rain this morning was pretty cold and wet by the end of that.

If i can find 222m more in the 18 runs i have left for the year I'll hit 3500, but i think I'll falla bit short as it needs around 12m a day average.
  • Wow TR, I'm outclassed -- I've logged about 3500 miles for the last 2 years, but this time it's only going to be about 3000.

Ran to my polling station this morning en route to work of course!
  • Very dedicated OuchOuch. Hop you reap the rewards.

You're probably right TR but none of it seems that important. It doesn't help that I seem to be getting slower with every run either.
  • Impressive total TR but not surprised given your relentless output. I'd love to do 3,660 next year for a daily double digit average but doubt my body would cope. My 3,000 & change last year was my biggest ever. Almost reached 2K this year - probably manage it over the weekend.
    LMH feel for you. That's exactly what happened to me earlier in the year hence the prolonged absence over the Summer. Back on it now with c.10M a day so far this month. 8 wet n windy ones along the canal first thing with 8x200m strides off 300m jog recovery in the last 3 miles then another treadmill session at lunch 5x1K@6 min/mile off 500m@8 + 1K wu & 1K cd = 5.6M@6:50 average. Just a steady 5M tomorrow to give my body a chance before my weekly parkrun fix.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    CW - and you do that amount only running 5 days a week, although i guess you do more runs per week than me.

Jools - Abo and Gosport killed off my 3650 chances, its too hard to get more then 80something a week without doubles, the odd short run affects the total.

LMH- as a couple of us have said before, you need to stop timing daily paces for a while, ive been around 8.30 pace all week, it doesnt matter......i was thinking about you earlier........how about dropping the miles right down and having some distinct variety such as short easy runs, a longer run, some 8 or 9 milers, include a little bit of tempo, a rest day,  so 6 days for 50ish. For a few weeks, this will give easy days to allow more energy for the other days? See where you are after Brass 1/2 result?
  • Why would stopping timing my runs make any difference TR? I'm only comparing like with like and it doesn't change the way I run. As for dropping the miles - I've been on low (for me) miles since York and I've had more rest days than ever and started trying to include some faster bits - which has resulted in my easy run pace getting slower.............
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Its a waste of worry beads and obviously something you think about. I would keep going with the lower mileage for a while then, but in order to freshen up you might have to drop it down to 50ish, how about a distinct weekly tempo run too 4 or 5m ?....or just keep plugging away until it all drops back into place.......whatever makes you happy......maybe take a week off completely over Christmas,  so you get the love/desire to run back.......just ideas to change it up......i cant see that a smidge of quicker running has made you slower, you need to get fresh more likely? Brass will be good for you as regardless of wether you run well or not, it will inspire you to either push on or be motivated to improve. Brass is not too many weeks away?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. it does take the speedier training runs a bit of time to show through, probably more so as we get older.  Hope you find the right balance in the end.  Is Mark running the BM?
    TR.. true grit getting that run done last night under the circumstances.  I remember sticking a 5.5m run onto the end of a half marathon last year up & down a windy airfield and felt similar to you after that!
    OO.. those look like my kind of marathon temperatures, not jealous at all honestly.
    Jooligan.. well & truly back in the groove it seems, nice quality double today.
    Charlie.. my polling station is only about 100 yards away so not worth getting dressed up for.  :)
    Joe.. depression seemed very rare 15-20 years ago, I often wonder why there is so much of it now.
    7+4.2m double yesterday, the morning run was in rather nice sunshine for a change!  10k steady today after the chore of putting up Xmas trimmings.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭
    Merry Xmas to the sub 3 forum. I’m back in Newcastle working as a physio after a year in Carlisle. Bumbling about doing some easy running, hoping to do a bit of cross country in the new year and then the fells in spring.

I’d imagine marathon plans are afoot. Hope everyone’s training is going well. Might pop on here a bit more often.

RS78 
  • Wardi - maybe it is an age thing. Yes mark is running and my friend P who you met last year.

TR - or it may convince me that it's not worth it.

Welcome back RS.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - agreed, you'll have no pace issues if you pack it in.

Wardi - they'll be plenty more grim days this winter. As ever no prep for a wram spring day that doesnt start til mid morning and finish at lunchtime.

RS - nice to see you, seems a long time since we walked to the GFA start together.

14m, cold and windy today.
  • Enjoy your warm weekend and birthday celebrations OuchOuch.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see you dropping in RS and hope the career blossoms.  My sister moved up to the Toon (Killingbeck) last year so I've done the nearby Rising Sun Parkrun a few times.
    TR.. nice winter MLR in the bag.  Got out here this morning for just over 11m, a bit breezy but the sun came out for most of it which took warmed the temps up slightly.  
  • For the first time starting to get jealous of people getting out for runs. I did go out for a few miles yesterday but the pain in the knee still lingers so I may need a longer spell off and to keep up with strength exercises. A tad annoying but the best thing to do for the longer term.

Go well this weekend OO. I can hardly move my fingers typing this out so that weather must be bliss!
  • LMH -  Im all for targets although its a struggle sometimes - pick a speed session and look for week on week improvements maybe? My recovery and easy pace have dropped my 15-20 secs a mile recently but Im putting that down to increased mileage and training load. 

I had a works do today - everyone else hammered but Im back and off for a 4 or 5 mile recovery just now around 8mm but Im not going to look
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Menn, id have struggled to get out after a Christmas do.

Wardi - copped another weather beating today.

16 today, legs were tired after ydays 14. 76 for the week. 192m to go, 16 runs left. 
  • Exactly a daily dozen required then TR.
    Ticking along nicely Wardi.
    Feel for you RJR but at least you managed a solid sub 3 beforehand. Hope the rest does it’s job.
    Good willpower there Menn & good pace progress too.
    I’m definitely beginning to see progress after a solid month post marathon recoveries. Averaging 10M a day so far this month with plenty of speedier work thrown in. Barnstaple Parkrun this morning in 50 mph winds & with several water features en route. Still managed to be 27s faster than over the same course 3 weeks ago. wu & cd made it 8M
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice 5k in awful weather Jooligan, nice topping up either side too.
    Much sympathy TR, it's been a pretty awful autumn/winter all told.  Not surprised your legs were a bit tired after this week's efforts!
    RJR.. hope that knee settles down soon, you're still in post marathon mode so the rest won't do you any harm.
    I dibbed out of Parkrun today, the mix of cold temps, 20mph winds and squally rain are a lethal mix for my Raynauds.  The prospect of running 5k then spending an hour or more trying to get my hands warm again didn't appeal!  2 x 4.2m on the treadmill instead, I have a 12m club run tomorrow which looks dry and much less windy thankfully.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Jools - thats decent progress in a few weeks, on a worse day too. Got to be worth a fair bit quicker too......12m per day, not sure ill be able to do that as it doesnt allow for many sub 10m days. Ill have enough time from 26th to 31st to get a decet run done each day, so need to see where i am after 24th.

Wardi - good use of tready, agreed its been a hand chilling few days.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Was playing it by ear today as i had a Christmas meal and a few snifters last night, but 15 bagged so happy days.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good work TR, another chunk of miles towards the total.  Should shift last night's calorie intake too!
    Annual club run around the villages & trails near Wetherby.  It's about 50/50 on/off road and I reckon the trails were the muddiest I've ever known them.  12.2m done, pleased to report that I managed to stay upright!  
    65m for the week, I'm off for a couple of afternoon beers now. 🍻
  • Happy days indeed, TR

20.5 this morning to kick off the long runs for Tokyo.  Felt pretty good actually, ticked off the miles quite nicely.  No great pace, but then that's not the point of these.

I'm still going with the press-up challenge.  Just 16 days to go, but at the start of the year it took until mid-April to get to the same total that I have left in these 16 days.  They're a lot easier than they were back then though!
  • You might just get a day off at this rate TR. 

So how many a day do you get through now then CD?

65 here too Wardi with a few quicker miles over the last two days so all good
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one wardi, hope the beers were nice.

CD - 20.5 is tasty, when is Tokyo?

Menn - 65 is getting there, good progress recently.
  • Thanks for the messages. Race of 2 halves. Ran with my son for 9 miles but he was suffering from mile 3, so combo of run/ walk. At mile 9 he said to leave him as he would walk/ jog in. From mile 9 felt like a fast Sunday run with the advantage of lots of people to overtake. 1st half 1.53 second 1.26 to finish in 3.19, last 17m average 6.42. My son finished in 2.15 so job done. Regrets, I have a few.