My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That's some mileage,Hazelnut,think I'm just under 1600 at the the moment.Opps about your trainers.There's a guy at the running club who turned up for a trail race with his .....football boots,made us laugh.

You could do with a flashing red nose,enrvuk.Have the Wirral trail HM on January 5th,Rhyl 10 mile and Chester 10k.

9.2 miles today.Knee ok but left calf still iffy.Last 3 miles my running was really ragged,glad to get home.Struggled with an easy paced run.Had a hot bath to soothe my legs.Bit worried about the HM in a few weeks.
  • JD, if I have a niggle I just go and see Toby, my physio, and he makes me feel better. Maybe you should do the same?

I've done nearly 1800 miles this year which is a record for me. None today though, just a bit of Christmas shopping.
  • This week is a cut-back, mostly as I have a 10K on Sunday which means no long run, and I've done three big weeks in a row (45/51/51) so I'd like my legs to be a bit fresher so I can at least attempt to PB the one distance I've not managed this year.

I still managed to do 9 miles today, though. I'd like to call it a progression run but in reality, it was a MP tempo run where I failed to hit MP. I did three miles working up to it (10:49/10:22/10:31 - mile 3 had a bit of a hill and a road to cross, which was why it was slower than the one before) then went into what I thought felt like marathon pace, only it turned out to be a whole minute slower (10:04). I got a bit closer with the next one (9:24) but still no cigar, and then the third wasn't much better (9:22). I finally hit 9:02 on the fourth attempt which I figured was good enough. At that point there was a spectacular sunrise, so I did two very slow cool-down miles rather than one so I could enjoy it.

The thing with this is that MP, and speeds approaching MP, feel like 5K pace in terms of effort. I compared it to the 5K I did on Saturday and my cadence for the three fastest miles today was the same as it was running an average of 7:45 min/mi on the track, because my stride is so much shorter.
    I think the lesson here is do my speed work later in the morning when it's light and I'm not worried about tripping over paving stones or running into people. And wear the bloody Zoom Flys, since that is what they're for, and not the Epic Reacts which I wore today.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Cal,I was thinking the same when out yesterday.I've googled a few last night,just need to make an appointment and hopefully they can sort me out.Where's your 10k on Sunday?
    Heavy rain and gales up here today,so went to a gym class and 3.5 miles on the dreadmill.
  • Was going to do 6 miles last night with the running club but got to the meet only to realise I had left my headtorch at home! Disaster!

Settled for 3 miles around my estate instead to try and break in the new Hoka's - definitely a lot more cushioning in them compared to my Asics but it just felt overall slow. Perhaps it's my legs still recovering from Saturday's 9 miles, but I just felt about a whole minute slower. Course isn't pretty though and has a short sharp hill at the end of every km so maybe I'm expecting a bit too much out of my new clogs!
  • First time I've had to cut a run short in a while. 4 miles in absurd wind and rain dodging a volley of recycling bins and boxes.  I have no bespoke waterproof running jacket so wore a green fishing mac and tights, not my greatest hour of running TBH.

Great running all.
  • Cut my run short today too, Linton - I was going for 10 easy but my pace was so ridiculously slow (a minute slower than my usual easy pace) that I couldn't see the point in flogging a dead horse. Not sure what's going on, I've had a few runs like that lately. I suspect it may be because I got straight into Tokyo training without much of a break, since Tokyo comes early. I've had a pretty big year and not much time off.
  • Mileage certainly seems to have paid off for you Cal.  I'm within around 10 % increase each year which seems to be ok for me.  But at some point I want to keep it stable.

Annoying regarding the headtorch Malteser - at least you got out nonetheless even if it wasn't the run you wanted to do.  New shoes might take a couple of runs to get used to if it is a model you aren't familiar with.

Like the idea of the fishing mac LTT.  Maybe you should add a waterproof jacket to your pressie list for xmas?  Well done for getting out in those conditions.

Do you have some cut-back weeks planned Cal?  You have quite a lot planned for next year as well.

Anyone heard anything from Will recently?  I stalked his October trail marathon result and dropped him a PM but haven't seen him around.  JT hasn't been around for a while either - hope everything is ok with them.

Bit short of 10 miles yesterday evening - mostly with my Tuesday group.  Lovely evening for it - cold at around -2 degrees but with an almost full moon to look at.  Could almost have turned off the headtorch but as partly on minor roads needed it to be seen. Bit icy in places.  One of our guys took a fall - on mud rather than ice - just a bruised pride though and a hole in his tights.
  • This week is a cut-back as I have the 10K on Sunday, but yes, I usually take one around every four weeks.

Yes, be good to hear from Will and JT. I know Will suffers from depression so I hope he's OK. Winter can be rough.
  • Would possibly be tempted by a 10k myself at the moment.  Should give you a nice speedwork opportunity in the company of others and won't take too long to recover from.  No danger of it being hot at this time of year I suppose.  Its currently snowing for the first time this year here. 

5 miles at lunch.  Legs a bit tired but I've run twice in 24 hours with some ups and downs, covering more than a HM in distance so that is not surprising.
  • Another lunch outing: 5k warm up, 22 mins at LT pace, cool down for 7 and a bit miles.  Was supposed to be doing the LT run tomorrow but that will be wet and windier than today so got it done today instead.  Breezy enough that the effort against the wind was hard work.  I ran on an approx. 1 km loop with an undulation, did at least run in the correct direction so that I would have the wind behind me up the hill.  Just about had enough breath to call out to 2 nordic walkers I had to overtake.  One of whom was waving her sticks around in a rather dodgy manner - I didn't really fancy getting them between my feet or in my ribs at the pace I was doing. 
  • Well I felt like crap yesterday, so I did pretty much nothing, and that seems to have helped as I ran an easy 6 at a much more acceptable easy pace (10-10:20 miles)
    Didn't have to dodge any nordic walkers (we actually do get a few on Tooting Common, believe it or not) but I did have to dodge the usual dogs and such.
    Windy again, which is my least favourite weather to run in.
  • Good that your day off helped. Are you parkrunning before your 10k on Sunday? Good luck with the latter.

Not keen on wind either.

Had some of that today myself to deal with though not as bad as forecasted.  Less pleasant was the varied layer of slush, water, leaves, mud and soft snow I had underfoot. Had to wring out my socks when I got home after 11 miles. Glad I did the speedwork yesterday as it wouldn't have been doable today.
  • 10 miles today alternating between 8-10 min miles. Wintery and horrible, although it sounds worse where you are Hazlenut!

Ran past a big plaque with Bojo on it, over which someone had written "Eton Mess" and saw a cat nearly get run over, but it narrowly escaped death.

Great running Cal and Hazlenut, you are both relentless! How many days a week do you run on average? What's the most days in a row you'll run? Great mileage Cal and good structured training Hazlenut.

It would be nice to hear from JT and Will.  I hope Will is doing well. I remember Will saying he was struggling to have time to post here now. It can be time consuming, but I grant myself it as I don't do any other social media, apart from a Facebook I haven't posted on for 4 years as it was becoming a time abyss.

In a moment of absolute madness I've signed up for a Saxons, Vikings, and Normans event next saturday! They have a devoted following down this way as 5 of their popular venues are close by.

The event is 5.25 mile loops and is twofold; Saxon shore Marathon and Challenge. 5 laps for a full marathon and marathon medal.(about 80% of runners). 10.5, 15.75, or 21 miles for a challenge medal. I'd love to be able to get to 15.75!  Some of these guys run marathons every week/10 in 10 days and allsorts! I' m going to be the biggest rookie there but nevermind! Nervous though.

Have a nice weekend. Going to eat and drink lots in Bruges, awesome training.

• I run 5 days a week, Linton - it's usually Tuesday, Wednesday, either Thursday or Friday, then Saturday (parkrun) and Sunday (long run).
    Have fun in Bruges!
  • Did Nonsuch today - a lovely park on the outskirts of London but also really, really muddy (worse than Wimbledon Common, which is saying something). Had to walk one section to avoid a comedy pratfall. Second slowest time of the year by 1 second - 28:09.
  • Yep, have fun in Bruges LTT.  That sounds like a good event you  have signed up for. What will the course be like? Pleased the cat survived, I have two of my own and although there is little traffic where I live I do worry about it.   I currently run 6 days a week with Mondays off but I might drop back down to 5 once I get stuck into mara training in January. Will likely do a couple of extra days off over the Christmas period too. Nice 10 miler btw.

Was that one of your missing Londone parkruns Cal? I can imagine the times vary a lot over the different courses.

9k for me this morning with my Saturday training group, a bit more than I would originally have planned. (4 mile recovery). A bit more strenuous too, we did a few warmup exercices, then trotted up a steep local hill followed by hill fartleks. 3 x running each repeat split up into 3 different paces, easy, medium and hard.  Each of us ran as we wanted to, with no competing.  Down bits were a gentle walk/jog. Then jog back to the meeting point and stretching.  Pretty windy and mild today, most of the snow has gone. Nobody was hit from above by falling cones or twigs at least in the woods, plenty lying around though.
  • No...although it's in London, the park itself is just over the border so counts as SE England, I think. But it was my nearest event not done yet. And yeah, they do vary hugely. Not too worried about the time as I have a 10K tomorrow.
  • Well, the 10K did not go according to plan - legs just didn't seem to want to turn over. Ran 53:29 which is my slowest for quite some time. I ran a 10K in the same park in summer, directly after a parkrun and in extremely windy conditions, and it was a minute faster than today so lord knows - can only think that my legs are tired (despite having an easier week this week).
    Did meet some friends, though, so it wasn't all bad (and Runthrough races have great flapjacks afterwards).
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That sounds interesting Linton,is it a trail loop?Glad the cat is ok,my heart is always in my mouth when I see a cat cross the road.Seen plenty of dead cats over the years,plus badgers and foxes,and even a horse.Hope you enjoyed Bruges.

Six days a week is dedication Hazelnut,and you rarely get injured.

Sorry your 10k didn't go to plan,Cal.You have races like that,when your legs just don't respond.

Haven't been running for a while,extremely busy in work,and then taking my girls to athletics or attending their Christmas concerts.I'm off tomorrow so I'll definitely be getting out,and seeing how my calf is.Taking my girls to Lapland Tuesday for a couple of days,but don't think I'll be taking my running kit!My body is crying out for a good run,always feel lethargic and fat when I haven't been doing any exercise.Signed up for the Wirral HM today,and have less than three weeks to prepare for,think I'll be struggling to get sub 96.
  • Shame that the 10k wasn't as good as you were hoping for Cal.  Maybe it is the accumulated mileage over the last weeks.  Are you racing again at all this year?

Hope the break from running will have helped your calf JD.  Trip to Lapland? 

Good long run yesterday afternoon - nice weather, just a bit breezy.  Did just short of 15 miles (24k) with a middle section of 6 miles at around my old MP which felt pretty good other than the stretches into the gusty wind on a slight uphill.  Could have run longer but need to keep increasing the long runs gradually.  Not long after setting off I was greeted with a hearty Good Morning!  It was quarter past one in the afternoon.  The lady instantly realized her error and we both laughed which put me in a good mood for the rest of the run.  Also met my Tuesday group chief out on his bike whilst I was jogging the last couple of miles home and spent a couple of minutes chatting to him.
  • No, that's it for me until January, apart from parkrun.
    I don't usually run Mondays but as I'm seeing a friend tomorrow, I decided to go out today (especially as I only ran 33 miles last week and just the 10K yesterday). Did 8 at an easy/recovery pace. Mostly OK but have a bit of a pain on the outside of my left foot, which I also noticed yesterday morning. Might have strained something sliding around in mud on Saturday. I have had discomfort there before so not too worried, but would rather like it to bugger off.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi all, few days no posting.

Cal, really sorry about your disappointing 10k, at least it leaves an easier target for a 2020 PB. You've been grinding out the miles for a long time without any real break, perhaps you just need to take a few days off properly. You've had a pretty amazing running year and have some great stuff to look forward to.

Good work as ever Hazel, you just keep on ticking off the runs and it sounds like you're in great shape. When you get to 15 miles and still have more in the tank, that's impressive!

JD, I hope the calf is okay when you do get out there. Totally with you on feeling fat and lethargic when I don't run. What's the Wirral course like?

Linton, your run sounds fun. Storms aside you've been running well, so 15.75 sound achievable for you.

Not much to report here, some interval training, one 8 mile run. I seem to be running a little quicker for the same HR right now, which suggests fitness is improving. I'm up to 990 miles for the year, so pretty confident I'll break the 1,000 mile mark. I might even post in the other thread :-)

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Cal,I've taken your advice,and have a sports massage booked for Saturday, hopefully they can sort my legs out.

Great 15 miler,Hazelnut,making it look easy! Yes,off to Lapland tomorrow, in fact I'll be waking the kids up at 1,they don't know anything about it,fingers crossed they'll enjoy it.

Nearly at 1k,enrvuk.The Wirral HM is a point to point along the Wirral Way,they say it's a trail but I wouldn't really say it was,not a proper one anyway.

Just over 8 miles today,Polly joined me and that's her longest run to date.Started off fine,after 2 miles,I did 2 @ HMP,around 6 miles I started finding it hard,legs really tight and sore,even though it was a really easy pace,but the good news is my calf felt good! After today I'd just be thankful to finish the HM.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Great news on the calf JD! I'm sure it will get easier day by day. 
  • Glad the calf is OK, JD. Have fun at Lapland!
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    10.6k here, normal slow pace until the last 15 mins which was quicker. Little bit of hip pain which is  not surprising when I haven’t started the exercises yet. Made a note to go to Argos and buy some weights! 
  • JD hope you and the girls are having fun at Lapland and they liked the surprise.  Good news on the calf. 

Good mileage enrvuk. 

Hope that you had a nice meet up with your friend yesterday Cal and your foot is feeling better by now.

Last Tuesday group outing of the year yesterday (won't meet up on Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve).  Not too many of us out but that is often the case at this time of year.  Another clear crispy evening with plenty of stars to look at to distract me from the final hill.  Did a couple of miles beforehand also to make up the distance to 9.99 miles (oops - my watch measures in km so I didn't notice that - would have done the extra few metres to make the distance up to 10!).
  • Nice one, Hazelnut. I have my Garmin set to miles so I always make sure I hit the full mile though sometimes I go over a bit.

No running yesterday (although I hit my steps target just walking around Windsor - he has two Scottie dogs and they need their exercise) but I made up for it today with 10 miles, some at pace. I found a nice triangle of roads which is flat and involves no road crossings (only drives) so, after six miles working up to it, I attempted three at MP. After last week's difficulties, I was pleased to hit MP (9 min/mi) on the first try, but I seemed to pick up speed with the next one being faster and the last one at 8:31 (which is LT pace). I actually felt as though I could have done another fast one but once I slowed down for my cool-down mile, I felt my legs dragging.
    I wore my Zoom Flys which are slightly more supportive than the Epics (they're still flyknit, but feel a little sturdier) and my foot felt alright, although it twinged once I got back to my flat. Calves are very tight at the moment - had a little twinge from right post-tib and a slight grump from the achilles, so I'll give them a good Theragunning later.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

What a nightmare Hazelnut,turned up at the check in desk and the lady said my girls passports had expired,so they wouldn't let us on.The girls disappointment on their faces will stay with me for the rest of my life,but they didn't cry or start moaning,really proud of them with how they dealt with the disappointment,it was also my eldest daughter's birthday.My wife was in tears as she deals with the passports.Most expensive return trip to Birmingham airport ever! So I've booked it again for next December.

Hope the hip is ok enrvuk.

Nice run Cal,good pace as well.Does the massage gun work well?

5.1 miles this afternoon,very frosty and foggy,so wore my hat and gloves.I could still feel my hams but much better than my last run,kept up a decent pace.Thought about doing another couple of miles,but decided to end the run when feeling good.