My Last Run

Comments

• Oh no JD.  My heart really sank when I read that.  You were so looking forward to surprising them.  Feel sorry for you.  ((JD's wife)) as well.

Better for you to end a run feeling good.

Can imagine it isn't always easy to find good routes trafficwise Cal.  Having to wait to cross roads is annoying but I rarely have to fortunately.  Do have a level crossing I regularly get stuck at though.  Nice progression run that.  Are the calves better for their blasting with the gun?

5.6 miles general aerobic yesterday lunch time.  Legs are always a bit tired on Wednesday due to the Tuesday evening run.  I could do with more time between the two (or slow one of them down I guess) but I try to do at least one in daylight which was worth it yesterday as it was sunny. 
  • Oh JD, that's so disappointing! Glad you've managed to rebook but, ugh. Sending hugs to your daughters.
    The massage gun is pretty good. It's no substitute for an actual massage but it does help me feel looser.

I went out early today as I wanted to do 12 and if I left it until later, that would be my morning gone. Got lots to do today - Christmas cards, laundry, shopping - so had to be done. Once again it was painfully slow - well over 11 minute miles for the first 8 miles. What's odd is that it feels like normal easy pace but Garmin is estimating my stride to be up to 10 cms shorter than normal. I know I'm generally stiffer in the morning and a bit more cautious with footing, but when I've run in the dark before it's been more like 20-30 seconds per mile slower, not over a minute. So really not sure what's behind this.
    Once it got a bit lighter I got under 11 minutes but still at what would normally be recovery pace. But never mind, I got it done.
  • Got it done run for me at lunch too.  11.5 miles in light fog.  Legs were uncooperative from the outset and I had to use up a lot of willpower to do the full planned distance right at the low end of my long run pace despite the mostly flat route on an out and back with a bloody dragging hill at the end.  Eating a (rare) portion of porridge about half an hour before going out maybe didn't help as that sat a bit uneasy in my stomach.  Will experiment with the timing a bit.  Better than getting hungry due to being out at a time I would normally eat I suppose.  Saw several herons and white egrets. 
  • If I do a later run (9 or after) then I'll eat some oats at 6. I don't make porridge as such, but I put some oats and either honey or syrup in a bowl and pour hot water on them. Milk slows down my digestion so I steer clear of it until afterwards. Even then it can be a bit uncomfortable - I felt it yesterday when I was doing my faster miles. Today's run was fasted, though, as it was early.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Thanks Hazelnut and Cal.Take it on the chin,it's only money!

I'm working nights,so I'm home by 6,I had some porridge and a banana as soon as I get home.Went out for a short,fast-ish run of about 4:45 miles just after midday.Total contrast in weather from yesterday,very mild today,so back in t shirt and shorts.Apart from my hams I felt ok,calf has settled down.Looking forward to my massage on Saturday.

• Hi folks, really busy week, lots of running everyone!

That's a bit of a nightmare JD, but like you said, it 's only money. Nice short fast run. Glad the calf is improving.

Great running Cal, slow miles but still a long way. Nice other runs too! Nice 10k and flapjacks.

Nice interval training and 10.6k enrvuk.  Hope you get the hip sorted. Running  on grass helped me but took a little while.

Impressive various runs Hazlenut, nice wildlife spots too! Rivers or lakes you ran by?

Bruges was nice but picked up a horrid cough and straight into a savage week's work. Really not looking forward to Saturday's distance event plus it's  going to be windy and probably rainy. Grim. Might bail early.
    That'll be 13 races in 9 months, too much for me I think, I will dial it back next year. Anyway, I'm doing it now!

Just tickover runs to report. Fairly nondescript.

Bit out of sorts with running at the moment, think its the weather.  I'm hoping Saturday isnt a complete disaster.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Oh JD that is so gutting. How awful for all of you, but especially your wife. Credit to your girls for taking it so well, a lot of kids wouldn't. Good news on the legs at least.

Nice to see you back up to speed Cal.

That does seem late to eat Hazel, but at least you put the miles in.

Best of luck at your race LTT, you might surprise yourself. Also not at my running high point right now either.

Good news I am off work now until 2020 and we are taking a trip to Southwold for the weekend, hoping to get a parkrun in there. Just a slow 5k for me this morning in the London rain, with a faster last km. Wanted to get out there to break through the 1,000 mile mark for the year, made it 1000.9 miles.

Have a good weekend everybody.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Did the Lowestoft parkrun this morning, about 20 mins from Southwold with only one partially flooded road to negotiate. It’s a friendly place, but we were very unlucky with the weather. It started raining just before the start and the wind was head on down the promenade, making the rain feel like little needles. It has a hairpin and a very narrow uphill section that you do twice. At least after that you’re rewarded with a nice downhill section before the flat finish. I came in 93rd out of 289 in a time of 25:28 which was ordinary for the course, but okay given the weather and the amount of food and booze I had yesterday. 
  • Well done enrvuk. Yes, I do think we have to factor in weather at the moment.
    Fulham Palace for me today - I've done that before (actually it was the first London parkrun I visited as a tourist, once I'd decided to venture away from my home run). One of my club mates was celebrating his 50th (parkrun not birthday) so there was a big club presence, drawn by solidatity, cake, and both Clapham and Tooting being cancelled due to wet/muddy conditions.
    I went out hard and from effort it felt like a sub-25 but I don't have my leg speed back yet so I was OK with 25:06, especially as it has a few tight turns and some big puddles (there was a water jump!)
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Nicely done. There was one big puddle at mine which a young lad managed to jump in and splash a few of us. To be fair he was trying to avoid it but failed! Shows just how much rain fell for some to be called off. 
  • Hope LTT had a good run today. 13 races in 9 months is quite a few if you have seldom raced before.  About average for me in the last couple of years and also enough, I tend to have just a couple as A races. Cal does more I believe? I was running along a brook. Do have some proper rivers and lakes in the region also.

Hope you enjoyed your massage JD. Running on top of night shifts must be hard I imagine.

Well done on the 1000 miles enrvuk! Enjoy the rest of your weekend away.

Good parkrun Cal. I will trial the timing with the porridge and maybe reduce the milk (cuurently half-half with water)

2 runs to report: a 4 and a bit recovery in the rain and wind yesterday evening and 8 with 10 x strides this morning. Was supposed to be the other way round but the swap was a good idea due to the weather.  14 planned for tomorrow with some MP miles, will see how windy it is. Also took a bad slip in the garden earlier on a slimy slab and pulled my left hip/glute hard enough to yelp in pain. Will be interesting to see how that is tomorrow. Walking ok but can feel it.
  • Ouch, Hazelnut, I hope you're OK. I remember tweaking mine during a half marathon when someone fell over in front of me and I had to leap out of the way. It didn't turn out to be anything serious although it hurt at the time, so hopefully that goes for you too.

Yes I definitely do more races. Two half marathons in Feb, another in March, then Vienna Marathon in April, a 5 mile trail race and another half in May and then Liverpool Marathon, then in June the second of the 5 mile trail races, a trail half (actually 13.6 miles) and a 2.3 mile relay, then a bit of a gap as I had shingles and my achilles was screaming at me and had to cancel a couple of races but did a half-hearted 5K mid-July, a mile relay and a 10 miler at the end of July, then a 10K and a 5K in August, a half in September, a half in October then Yorkshire Marathon, and then the 5K track race and the 10K I did last weekend.
    It was a bit much, actually - I should have taken more of a break after Liverpool as my body was clearly not happy about having to race so soon after (hurting my foot after slipping on the stairs didn't help either). I'll try to be a bit smarter about it next year but I have the running equivalent of eyes bigger than my belly when it comes to races.

Anyway, I got a 20 in the bag. The first half, which I did in the dark, was very slow, but once it lightened up I got a bit faster. Still easy pace, but normal easy. Glad to get that one done. Scary to think Tokyo is only 10 weeks way.
  • Seems I was lucky as no issue with the hip/butt. Right knee is grumbly though but that doesn't like being suddenly bent like that.

That is quite a race list. I sometimes think I could race more and in particular do the long speedwork training runs within a race, but I don't trust myself to be disciplined pacewise. 

Good to have a twenty in before Christmas - well done. 

15.2 miles this morning in pretty shitty weather - wetter from above than forecasted and bloody windy on the return leg. I wanted to do around 7 MP miles and I wasn't doing all of that against the wind so 3 ish long run pace then the 7 and plodded the rest home in 2:06. Totally drenched - and thanks to the wind I also got cold, my hands and lower arms wouldn't work properly on getting home. It took tea, a hot shower and a carrot soup with lashings of ginger to restore full comfort. Glad to finish another good week of training, will split the last 2 base weeks over around 3 and then get stuck into a 12 week P&D.
  • LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well and truely got my arse handed to me yesterday!

I woke up and the rain was just absolutely hammering against the window and I could hear the wind blowing hard.  On driving to the event the rain was just absolutely torrential, as it was at registration and on the start line. Literally soaked to the skin in an instant.

I hate running in rain! but have loved my first year running and surrounded by marathon veterans I got caught up in the moment and couldn't help but wonder if I could finish my year with an actual marathon!!!, Instead of the shorter options.  That would be amazing!! 

Even by my standards, that was a truly terrible idea as I'm only trained to half-marathon distance plus one solitary 15 mile run. A ridiculous jump.

That said, I figured if I kept to my 11.5 minute easy pace for 26 miles then it would be a 5 hour marathon and an amazing end to the year! Surely that would be doable?

We started and everyone was soaked, the rain continuing to fall heavily.
    At 10 miles I felt good, but by the 13.1 marker I was getting weary. By 15 miles I'd had enough, both of my feet and knees really hurting badly (all concrete). But at the 15.75 mile marker I felt a little better.

At 18 miles/3.5 hours the wheels came off bigtime.  I think I had what I've heard people describe as a bad panic attack. I felt sooo dizzy I honestly felt I was going to faint.  I lost all colour and had to stop and lean against a wall.  My heart was pounding, it was truely awful and scary. An experienced marathoner called Terry was an absolute legend, and helped me no end. Running Jesus.

My knees and feet hurt too much to run, and I was too dizzy to anyway.
    I think either 1) the virus I'm fighting was worse than I thought. 2) Being cold and soaked didn't help 3) Too much of a jump in distance 4) Everyone was eating actual food at the aid stations, I just had drink.

Anyway, I ran 18 miles in 3.5 hours, then walked 8.2 in 2.5, crossing the line in 6:01.  I kept trying to start running again to knock the time down, but the pain was too much to get going. I guess there's things in life you can blag, and things you can't, a marathon is one of them! Lesson learned!

That said I learned loads for the spring, I obviously need to think about fuelling and have a long, long way to go in training. I was waaay over hydrating (6 pee stops in a run is surely too much? and cost me maybe 15 minutes) Not sure how to get through the pain. I just couldn' t run after mile 18.  I got a "proper look" at the distance, just vast!
    I need to learn to run 8 more miles in 2-4 months...

Still a great event and really awesome people, plus good "time on feet" practice.
    Because I only ran 18 I'm hoping I haven't messed up my training plan up, but damn I'm hobbling well today...

Great running Hazlenut! That is a rapid 15 miler!. I was like that yesterday, my hands totally numb, no feeling at all.  Carrot soup sounds lovely! What is a P and D? Glad your injury is a bit better.

Cal, you make it look so easy! That is an awesome race list. You have some awesome events to do next year.  Is Tokyo a fast course? Or undulating? Either way, what an experience.

Nice Parkrun enrvuk! I must try and do Parkrun's from other areas when on holiday etc.

Going to wait for the pain to go before running again, and eat lots.

• Well done for grinding that out, Hazelnut, that doesn't sound at all pleasant. I remember doing a 16 in sleet last year and actually started laughing as it was so awful and all the other runners I encountered look miserable as hell. Guess everyone was training for marathons as no one else would be stupid enough to run in that.

Linton - P&D is "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger & Douglas. I am doing a but of a bastardised version of it myself, but with a lot of tweaks to allow it to fit around my parkruns and races, and a bit less speed work (because of the aforementioned parkruns and races, which are basically speedwork themselves).

Anyway, well done on your ill-advised marathon. As you'll have come to realise, it's not a distance where you can wing it. Running 18 is great, though, but now you'll have a good idea of what you're up against. You'll have plenty of time to get the extra distance. Do try to go out for a walk today as it'll help with the soreness.

I don't know that much about Tokyo - I know it's not hilly but it's not as flat as Berlin or Chicago (or Manchester). Which is fine, actually, as my best races have been at Chester and Yorkshire which both have a couple of ups and downs.

I normally rest on Mondays (especially after a run as long as yesterday's) but I'm travelling tomorrow so I thought I'd try to fit one in today. I had an idea to do 10 miles slowly, but what surprised me was that I actually felt OK, and I got stronger the longer I ran, so I ended up making it a cheeky half marathon. The last miles were more like my normal easy pace than the recovery pace I was doing early on, so I feel pretty good about it.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

That's a good way to get the booze out of system,enrvuk.I believe the weather is really bad down your way  at the moment,well done in getting out.

Good news that your slip didn't cause any serious injury,Hazelnut.Well done on that long run as well.The carrot soup sounds nice.

Bloody hell Linton,I could feel your pain from just reading your write up.Well done in getting round anyway.No doubt you'll learn lots about yourself running that race.

Cal,that's a great year of racing and you've bagged a couple of PB'S.Think your Yorkshire mara topped the lot.Hopefully I can get a few more races in next year,only downside at the moment is Mrs JD wants the whole house painted in the Spring,just thinking about that is making me breakout in a cold sweat.

Had my first sports massage on Saturday,in which he told me that my glutes and hams were very tight.Told me to do certain exercises everyday and not just when I'm feeling sore.I'll just have to find the time to fit my exercises in.Made another appointment for the New Year.

6.80 miles yesterday,legs felt heavy but still managed to keep a half decent pace up.

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas.

• Right back at you, JD - hope everyone has a good break. And a sports massage will leave you with heavy legs for a day or two so don't worry about it.
  • Have a really great Christmas everyone! and thanks for all the advice over my first year's running. Have a nice break. Going to leave it a few days and go for a little jog.
  • Wow LTT, definitely doing a mara the hard way. But also well done for getting to the finish, especially in those conditions.  As Cal said above some gentle walking will do you good. 

Hope you travelled well Cal. That is a great pair of runs.

Hope the legs are a better now JD.

Merry Christmas to all regulars, occasional contributors and lurkers!

6.2 gentle miles with OH at sunset. Had rained most of the day but we actually got a few last rays. Stuck to tatrmac as off road is very soggy at the mo.
  • Did South Manchester parkrun today while my friend slept in (with a two mile run there and then back again). Very happy to get under 25 minutes again (around 24:44 but results aren't up yet - they ran out of tokens so guessing they have a few other things to do today!) It's a course PB too.
    Hope you are all having a nice Christmas.
  • That's a good time Cal, well done!

10 miles this afternoon to work off some calories before tucking into roast spuds and co. Rare treat. My mum's taste better though.  Feel vaguely guilty about having the time for a longer run, but spending a quiet Christmas so far.  Out at around sunset for another dry run.
  • 24.42 official, so happy with that.Well done on the 10 - roast spuds are my favourite part of Christmas dinner.
  • Parkrun yesterday dressed in a reindeer onesie. Not the quickest run, possibly the sweatiest.
  • Great job, Guarddog - saw a few costumes yesterday but only had my regular togs on.
    Got out for a 9 miler today - went to the same park as the parkrun and did a few laps but avoided the submerged paths this time.
  • Well done on the 9 mile Cal. Weather is distinctly damp today,  very different to yesterday's conditions.

Likewise same park today but a charity run organised by the Jog Shop with the option of doing up to four laps. Went for the four and treated it as an interval run. Just 4.4miles but good to stretch the legs as everything else recently has been easy or long slow.

• Great Parkrun PB Cal, nice one and nice 9 miler.
    Well done of the 10 Hazlenut, good commitment for Christmas day!
    Nice couple of runs Guarddog.

I have felt so tired since that marathon! Can't believe how weary it's made me feel.  Not ran yet, but went for a 4 mile coastal walk today dodging the big waves and sea spray! Good fun. Legs feel heavy and stiff. 
  • Any pics of the reindeer Guarddog? Nice to see you drop in here.

Sounds normal LTT. Try to stay away from ill people yet as your immune system might still also be a bit down. Walk must have been nice along the coast.

Nice they took another two seconds off of your time Cal. Good follow up run too.

5 miles recovery this afternoon, yet again treated to a sunset (wet earlier). Nice to have some time on my own.
  • 4 miles. managed 2.5 before I was having to stop for the odd walk break. literally feel destroyed from the knees down. left knee not great at all. Going to back right off for a bit.  

Nice run Hazlenut, agreed nice to get out, even though it was the worst 4 miler ever.  
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi all merry Christmas. Been an eventful season here. Hope you’re all enjoying the festivities. Did Finsbury Parkrun on Xmas day and a 10k run with my nephew. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great parkrun Cal,great time.

Hazelnut and enrvuk,good festive running.I was itching to get out Christmas Day,but thought better not!

Give yourself a break Linton,you don't want to start New Year injured.

Nice festive parkrun Guarddog.

10.2 miles on Boxing Day,longest run since Chester.Legs felt better,not perfect, but definitely feeling like much better.

6.1 yesterday,another good run along the canal.Just need to keep on top of my exercises and stretching.