Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Very nice summary Matthew :smile:

Pete - what a cracking collection of parkruns! A great way to end one year and start the next.

Reg - really sorry to hear about your wife. Things like that are just so random and unfair, but I'm glad you are able to keep positive, and that she is responding well to the treatment.

Incredibly trivial in that context, it's not been the best start to 2020 for me! What I thought was a hangover yesterday turned into a pretty nasty lergy that has left me with no energy, no appetite and my first sick-day off work in 5 years! I slept for about 18 hours! Feeling slightly better now, and have managed some soup but certainly not the start to some decent mileage I'd have wanted for 2020! Hey ho, it'll pass!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Strange one Bus - these little things are sent to try us! I'm back on the dentistry misery wagon, something totally unexpected and annoying to fix tomorrow - annoyances! That's the final decided on no XC on sunday now. I didn't really fancy it anyway after the last slog, the league has gone, I probably need to be somewhere with the olds anyway, but post this treatment it's just not on..lads not too happy, but i'm not much of a game changer so it's ok.

Nice one Matt, tidy set of races racked up there.

I best dust off the stats wagon on mine, and try and smash it out in less than 2 posts :D

Annoyingly have the race log on work pc only, but I dare say I can remember the turnouts!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Let's go..do dododoodododododood (intro from Everybody in the Place - Prodigy...ask your kids...or if you're under or around 30 - erm..ask your slightly older pals)

2019 mileage  -  2,801 - decent haul, but that lost month killing the 3k dream.

2019 race - 20 (i think!)5 x1miles, 7 x 5k, 1 x 5m, 1 x 10m, 2 x XC,  Masters relay, 12stage relay, Dashers pair relay (each doing 5x1km), and the mighty Endure (30 mile shift!)

2019 pots,  TVXC team win, 2nd team at Endure, 3rd team at the pairs relays,Won the Jan Ealing mile(really need to do more lower key races / hang on until I squeeze into the V40 to get some more in here :) )

2019 highlights
    • Endure was just the stand out moment of the year - simple as that. Great trip with the team, mixed with camping, something I'd never done, all with a competitive spirit. Even coming 2nd after a tight battle didn't dampen it for me. One of those great moments in time, as I'm not sure we'll ever be able to fuse such a good team together again
    • Mile pb, 4.55. Totally out of the blue. Didn't particularly feel particularly sharp at the start of summer, let alone after Endure, so it was superb to mark a proper pb down.  One of those super tight margins, the wait to see if it'd merely match my 4.56 or better it was a tense one :) Then the glory of a woman I'd beaten being given 4.56 and thus me 4.55. Yes!
    • Maidenhead 10 - Not particularly fast at around 59.30, but felt a totally different experience to the underwhelming almost exact same time at GSR the autumn before. On a boiling hot day, it was just great to do this race for the first time in ages, starting steadily, and for perhaps my only time ever, averaging the same overall, as my first mile, and cruising past fast starters as late as about 8 miles!

Also got this great pic with me and the then Prime Minister marshalling!

• Battersea park trips. Mile aside, the 5ks didn't live up to the previous year's glory, at 17.15 and 17.23, but I enjoyed the trip, taking fellow Dashers to all 3 events. Such a good venue, and superb drive home afterwards.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

2019 lowlights -
    • Vertigo totally wiping me out from mid Sep for a month is the obvious stand out. No warning, then utterly annihilated. Didn't go into the office for about 3 1/2 weeks, let alone try and run! The easy mileage built back over 10 weeks, but I've found the faster stuff still needs to come back! Small mercies of being able to run again though.
    • Wokingham pull out - After a big build up, albeit one not feeling quite as sharp as the 2018 lead up, coming over a bit hot / borderline unwell the half week before. Confidence not being sky high, I wasn't going to risk it, so pulled out to be safe.
    • Generally, never feeling quite at the level of 2018, especially for the 5k stuff. The reps were down, training for Maidenhead 10 in April sort of delayed everything a bit, and with Endure right in the middle needing a few week recovery, it just never felt like it totally peaked.
     2019 - stuff you wanted to do, but didn't
    • Disappointed not to get to any south coast stuff this year - Endure clashed with the Gosport mile/5k double, I didn't get to any of the Gosport 5k series (5 races), and GSR as well as CP were ruined by the vertigo.  Partially I suppose you need to be a bit higher at your own fitness level to make longer drives worthwhile I suppose, and with the local summer series 5k races often clashing, it'd have been madness to travel 90miles instead of do one within 20miles. amongst loads of local pals.  At least being able to sell the CP place and having not entered GSR were silver linings!
    Best thread moment of the year
    • Ric had some doozies. Slamming everyone/no one in particular for lacking character, and then disappearing, having been utterly repulsed by the sight of Bus in his shirtless pic :D
    • Bus's incredible run in with that rapid dog and owner, all obviously done shirtless, told in magnificent style.
    Best thread performance(s) of the year
    • Possibly forgotten by people, having happened near the start of the year, and about 72,000 posts back (!) , but I thought Joe's 75.42 (respectfully keeping 1second outside my "back in the day pb) half marathon at Reading was utterly superb, and the stand out effort of the year.

I think Simon C needs a little shout out here as well. I feel at times he doesn't get the praise he deserves, as its race after race of superb quality. All described fairly briefly, and humbly, so it's not always obvious how good a performance it is.

(As opposed to my obsessing over the minutiae of individual reps, and comparing to the past :D)

Thread poster of the year

In some ways a fairly quiet year for some of us old thread favourites, myself, Bus, Phil etc. (Not that you'd know it from my word count - imagine a big year!!)
    But i'd probably give it to Pete M.Nicest guy on a thread of (usually ;) ) nice guys. Has become a good pal, away from the subject of running too.Always sees the best in people, irrespective of how douchebaggeratative their behaviour is, and that's a real gift. Not to mention a year where there was a real period of personal doubt of whether he could carry on, yet still largely supportive of others, and I could genuinely have seen staying around even if his own personal running career had ended. That's gold!
    2020 - aims
    • Put in more "proper" road events above 5k. Outside of relay stuff, only 2 all year! Illness did affect this of course.
    • Get a couple of south coast trips in, maybe a 5k or two somewhere random too.
    • Have a serious bash at getting that 5k as close to 17.00 as possible
    • Improve the last two 59.30ish 10milers. Have conditions that are excuse free in 2020 :)
    • Moving into a new job at current workplace, hopefully find a way to mix footy trips, different races, and work travel for maximising opportunities when I'm away.
    • Keep enjoying it, being the 10th anniversary of the thread in March , and 18th separate year I've raced in (hopefully!)
    2020 - stuff you will do to improve your own game
    • Force myself to do those sessions you know are super useful, but are hard work - tempos in general, longer reps, etc.
    • Not find as many excuses to not do races!
    • Find that perfect line between building up / making a big lead to a race, but not over stressing about it all.
    2020 improvements to make to the thread? (I know we're brilliant, obvs...but could we be more brilliant?)
    • Encourage more lurkers to post more often - they're always free to, but we need to encourage more from them. Lurkers - anything that'd encourage you more?
    • See if we can make a few more signings like Joe B and Jooligan from elsewhere on the forum - best signings in a long time
    2020 - one to watch
    • I think Matt H has a good set of pbs ahead, probably more than anyone on here.

For most of us, it's probably more a case of performing as well as we can versus recent times, although Muddy is still on the up, Reggie can certainly produce given the right luck, and Joe still has a set of improvements if he can find that quite monumental motivation and commitment of his big Reading lead up.

2020 - notable other thread (from elsewhere on RW) face we should sign up for here

• With Lit very occasional, and Curly long gone, we could really do with a couple of ladies for a new angle. Maybe a couple more super vets? Or even a 28 year old, with a fair number of years in the game and "decent" pbs, who can take it to a higher level following a superb coach....now that sounds like a good idea for a thread....
    Thanks for coming out, y'all.2020 stats so far, 2 days in, 3 runs done, 18miles logged. We're off.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for accommodating an occasional poster over the last year or so. TBH, I can't really keep up with some of the banter / most of the training so I don't post that often although I'm generally reading.

Best wishes to you and your wife, Reg. It sounds like you both have PMA about it and from our experience (my wife has pretty bad Crohn's, surely not comparable but chronic in itself) that can make a huge difference.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed reading back of the festive training / racing exploits.

Nice parkrunning there Pete, good to see you racking up a string of impressive times.

And Bus, I saw your LFOTM over on Strava and it really stood out, you must have been grinning ear-to-ear, nice one!!

And Muddy, your approach sounds quite relaxed compared to some of the high stress trainers on here but that's a really stunning result over the 10k.

And Simon, your usual high quality results that it would be very easy to take for granted if we didn't all know how much hard work it takes. Congrats.

I parkran on the 28th Dec up in the hometown of Morecambe. I think I got a decent day like Pete did on his own promenade outing and I was pretty pleased with 17:58 off a couple of San Miguel's with my dad the night before. Then went over to Hyde Park for the 10k on NYD and ran 36:39 for my 2nd fastest 10k. I was fortunate to only taste the repeat of prosecco a couple of times and the 11 am start makes that a really nice event. Pretty good depth too - I was 36th in that time. An recommend that one for the future.

Bus, your naked goblin story wins but I did run PBs at 5k, 5M, HM, and the mara in 2019 which also made me smile. That's at 46 and with 12 years of running on the clock now. Not all down to the shoes either....they were all VF PBs but only replace prior VF PBs  B)
  • Cheers Everyone for the kind words. Reg - Obviously would like to echo everyone else in sending my best wishes to your wife and I'm glad she's responding well. I have known the Radio 5 sports presenter Chris Latchem for a while (he's a fellow Bournemouth fan) and he is also fighting the same issue. He's also doing fine.

Did a few bits and bobs over the holiday period - managed to complete the party period ok, jogged the Hemel Christmas day parkrun with the kid on the way down to Poole.

Boxing day - Poole 10k. Weather was absolutely ridiculous - one woman got blown in to the boating lake! lake spray being blown across the road etc etc. the out bit was like running uphill, and got to 5k in 17.28 I think. Got to 8k in 28.12 and the last 2k were mainly wind behind so got back in 34.29, would love to do the last 2k in 6.17 in every 10k :)

New year day did Rushmere Parkrun (Leighton Buzzard) then ran 8.5 miles to Willen Lake MK parkrun. Came back first (18.20 ish) in the Adios at Rushmere, changed into the Hokas for the run to MK, and had to run MK in the Hokas which were a bit heavy, but got my way round to 5th in the end in 17.50 ish.

Review later!

• Morning all, and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year. Hope everyone had a bit of downtime and enjoyed a bit too much food and drink.

Following everyone else, Reg, just sending best wishes to the wife, stay strong, and I'm sure you'll get through it together. Also look forward to seeing you on the big island in 2021  ;)

Some cracking racing from Bus (LFOTM), Simon (Poole). Wool (NYD) and Muddy (10km) going on in the last few weeks. Super running chaps, very impressive. 

SG - you're far too kind citing me as performance of the year. I think there have been plenty of better and more impressive efforts, but I guess I did have a fairly good day that day. Highlight for me has been seeing you making a full recovery from the vertigo and back running regularly - great stuff.

Mixed festive period for me. Had to sack off the Christmas Day marathon for the first time in 4 years - got a nasty virus on the 23rd and it would've been utterly foolish to slog through and make myself worse. Instead I had a rather more relaxed Christmas (although obviously not missing the multiple parkrun opportunities: Great Notley on Xmas Day and Upton Court on the 28th, which I ran the majority with Dachet Dasher Chris Hunt - 'the older one' - his words.)

Started to turn a corner and got the green light to have a burn up on NYD. We went down to the South coast for a double at Hove Prom/Worthing.

Legs decided not to turn up, and just felt like an absolute slug the whole way - just never got going and it was like I couldn't access top gears. Super fast course, just up and down the prom. I ran a very consistently paced 17:42, which surprised me as I knew I was nowhere near top form. Definitely want to get back under 17 this year. Standard was pretty good, and that placed my 22nd - probably a good thing as lots of people to cling on to.

On to Worthing, and now the pressure wasn't on to rinse myself, I enjoyed this one much more. Told myself 'around 20' was acceptable, but of course got caught up in the fun and ran 18:20 which again felt reasonable but not flat out. 

Good news is Katie is on the mend and she ran/walked both in around 27 mins. 
  • I won't do a full year in review post but have enjoyed being part of the thread and will continue to post as much as I can.

Loose goals - get back under 17 minutes for 5km. Break a longstanding 'soft' PB of 35:41 for 10km. Run sub 75 at the Big Half. 

2 main events for the year are Ironman Ireland and Ironman Wales. Would like to place as highly as possible in Ireland and also run sub-3 off the bike for the marathon - long standing goal of mine. Then just throw everything at Wales and see if I can qualify for Kona again.

Good luck everyone, and hope you have smashing years.
  • Here’s my take on last year...

2019 mileage
    • 2100 ish miles, with approx 87,000 ft of elevation gain, average pace 7.9 mph with an average heart rate of 127 bpm, against a max of 178 bpm. 
    2019 race total
    • 30 or so. I think I did one or two that don’t appear on Power of 10 and three (!) DNF marathons. That 30 included 7 park runs. But I probably did about 6 of those races/parkruns all out.  
    2019 pots, placings, medals, team wins etc
    • Power of 10 has me 1st v45 in over half the above. I think I placed top 3 in a few races that I did as workouts, but remember a couple of wins front running all the way round - the 10k race in November and the 10 mile race in early December. 
    • County silver for 10k with a mid week threshold workout
    • Pbs at 5k (3x),10k (2x) and 10 miles. Ice stopped pb attempt at hm early December.
    2019 highlights (as many as you like)
    • Making it to Maidenhead half in my expensive vest after disastrous episodes involving: insomnia, my car falling to pieces (goes with the clown shoes), my urinary tract  and mad fever.
    • Best ever half marathon performance, 2nd v45 in the super fast Brass Monkey early January. Not a pb but it was blowing a gale.
    • Winning the 10 mile race in December. This was a race I’ve ran every year since I started running, placing higher and higher, and it was a great feeling to finish it as the winner, with a pb, on a pretty windy day.
    2019 lowlights
    • A mostly rubbish summer of not running much
    • Queuing for my bag for sodding ages post Maidenhead when I should have been chewing the fat with you threadsters. But it was good to meet Joe and Katie (get well soon). I remember asking everyone wearing a v50 cat coming past me in the race if they were Pete. They weren’t.
    • Being really fit for London and then having a fever. I was fever-ish on and off through end of April to mid September. Only when I started peeing blood did I see the doctor. That whole episode cost me London, then a couple of aborted entries to Hull and York marathons. Every time I did a workout I seemed to go down again. Then I had some Achilles tendonitis so was stopped in my tracks again. Managed to do part of both of the latter marathons as marathon paced sessions, but I had really wanted to run a decent marathon this year.
    • Why do these all involve Bus ? I had to laugh at the episode with his shirt in his work changing room where someone ripped the buttons off, I think. Then Ynnec (fountain of all knowledge, who I like to think of as the thread‘s fact checking lurker) [nod to Adam Buxton podcasts there] came along to tell us it was a thing with a very long name. I wonder if he/she can also tell us how a hermaphrodite pees ... on his/her long run of course.
    • Also Ric running some humongous mileage, day after day, for a good while. 
    Best thread performance(s) of the year
    • Dachs return to form after appendix removal, all thrillingly summed up with a montage style mammoth posting.
    • Simon’s continuous racing excellence
    Thread poster of the year
    • Reg’s quips.
    • I’ve enjoyed Pete’s parkrun antics. Also Stevie G’s reps posts - both for their comforting familiarity. Pete will run 18 something guaranteed and Stevie will post reps of 1.2x and worry the shit out of the odd second here and there.
    2020 - aims (be it times, races, trips, team stuff etc, for you, or someone else)
    • To get that bloody marathon done.
    • Get a bit more parkrun volunteering in.
    • A lot has been said about me being a v50, but I think I’ll stay eternally 49 thanks :) I am not too bothered about achievements - happy mostly just to run consistently as its pretty much my social life these days.
    • Cross country champs coming up early on (Saturday) To help get the club team on the map. For the first time in a while we have 6 counters that are well under 40 mins for 10k.
    2020 - stuff you will do to improve your own game
    • I promise myself always that I will do some proper long runs, but I never really do. Also to do some speed work. But I never do. And to do my core work. But I never do that consistently. I’ll stick with what I’ve been doing so far. Plenty of easy work, race frequently. Get up earlier, do some core work, eat better etc.
    2020 - one(s) to watch
    • Matthew H is coming back and has youth on his side, Wool’s still improving and has youth and Vaporflys on his side :) Reg has loads of potential, achieving so much off so little running and has youth on his side.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Nice one joe. Saw the end of the mad Christmas day run!
    Casual 17xx 5ks are a good sign. I like to think when im in the right shape that i can do sub 18 at worst. With same aim as youna snifty at sub 17 when top form and right occasion. Wil have to have a few goes at battersea this year.

Wool heck of a year. Shows what putting lifetime best training in doesn't it. Glad you accept it's not just those darn shoes!

Simon mad stuff as always. Going through distances quicker within a longer race than most would be happy as a stand alone!

Still in this weird period off work vaguely trying to keep structure. But also force myself out versus the temptation of sleeping in!

Went for a lightish sort of job today with dental stuff due this  afternoon.

After 16x200 tue i fancied a similar total distance 10x300.

I only ever do 6x300 in the summer utterly drilled. But that seemed a bit unnecessary, hence 10 with a more
    Fast relaxed pace off 60secs the aim.

Exceptionally windy on one straight and i did entertain trying to avoid that bit but thought itd be strengthening to just deal with it and rotate the reps... starting and finishing 100m different each rep rather than mess about getting back to a certain place...

54 first rep. Bit too much gas.

Averaged around 56. A couple that started or ended on the very windy bit drifting to 57.

Left it a couple of mins and for giggles put a couple of 200s in.
    34 on a still one.
    35 into wind.

Nice short sharp workout. Legs like treacle into the windy bits.
    Certainly hard enough work but you finish and you're fresh.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Impressive parkrun double Simon (an 8.5 mile run between the two just casually thrown in too!). Great pr and NYD 10K Wool; not many will have done a Xmas time sub 18 5k and then have a 36'xx 10k on their 2020 CV already :)

OK onto 2019 review time and following SG's template here goes;

Mileage    1353 (relatively low, but lost a lot of time injured and also 4916 cycling).

Race total 2x1 mile, 6x5k, 2x5m, 5x10k, 1x10m, 2xHM, 3xXC plus parkrun nearly all weeks  

Pots etc    All v50 cat prizes: 1st at Reading 10k, 1st at Woodley 10k & 1st at Yateley 10k (1st of series); 1st at Forest 5, 2nd at Yateley 10k (2nd of series); 1st v50 at each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd of Dinton Pastures 5k series and 2nd v50 in 4th event (plus overall series 1st v50). 

Highlights Fleet HM, only 4 seconds off pb and qualified for England Masters; Woodley 10k, just seemed totally on it and would have been a pb but for taking a wrong turn!: Reading 10k, 1st v50 in a very big field of 1462 runners.

Lowlights  1st the hamstring injury in early June then much more serious calf injury in July which pretty much ruined running/racing all the way to November.

Maidenhead Half Masters appearance; almost pulled out pre race with injury but, as it was a 1 off opportunity, ran but struggled my way to a 1'27 and last but one in my England age cat. Could barely walk at the end and the same in most other attempted races/parkuns in that period. 

Best thread moment of the year Has to be Bus and his altercation with the small gentleman ;)

Best thread performance(s) of the year There have been so many but I would give it to Muddy for that remarkably quick 10k in Barcelona right at the end. For consistency of performance over many races no-one came close to Simon though, and probably never will. 

Thread poster of the year Joe; doesn't post as often as most but when he does its a treat; always interesting, honest and doing something different. Great way with words and 2 for the price of 1 hearing all about Katie's exploits too :)  

2020 aims Would settle for staying fit; still think I'm on borrowed time with racing as I'm ignoring long standing physio advice to quit. If I can stay fit, would be nice to get some high WAVA's and reduce my RB handicap back towards 3.0 again. 

2020 stuff you will do to improve will try to do more strength work, calf exercises and miles 

2020 improvements to make to the thread More and more regular postings; come back Dachs, Scott E and Ric too (if you can avoid upsetting people). Recruit some regular female contributors!

2020 one to watch Hard to say; still think Joe has more potential; expect big improvements from Matt H too, would say Reg with all that natural talent but will he ever get any luck? Scott E, a great guy with little luck health and running wise historically, could be a long-shot in this category too!

2020 notable other thread Don't read any others; surely they don't compare to this one ;)

Wildcard category  The only thing I would add is to say this thread is full of superb runners and often with other sporting skills too, especially cycling. Don't beat yourself up guys; when our form drops a bit it is usually only by our own exalted standards. Keep supporting each other and giving the sound advice this thread has always offered. Special thanks to SG for starting it all up, moderating it and  rallying the troops when needed (not just because of those kind words you said about me in your review ;)). 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was waiting for a mention there Pete 😄😄😄👏

Good pieces from you and Muddy. Both having a string of negatives but also some great peaks. That's why i think those two categories are so interesting for review at the end of the year.

Me actually pretty much proving muddy right with my rep analysis today 😄.
    Although "Wind" is always such a good disclaimer isn't it!
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

• Why do these all involve Bus ? I had to laugh at the episode with his shirt in his work changing room where someone ripped the buttons off, I think. Then Ynnec (fountain of all knowledge, who I like to think of as the thread‘s fact checking lurker) [nod to Adam Buxton podcasts there] came along to tell us it was a thing with a very long name. I wonder if he/she can also tell us how a hermaphrodite pees ... on his/her long run of course.
    Muddy - I'm more towards the Cliff Claven end of the fact-checking spectrum.
    Sang to the tune of Desmond Dekker and The Move's finest.
    Get up in the morning, bladder is bursting
    [apparently] My urethra is connected to my wang
    Oh, oh-oh-oh. Hermaph-phro-dite'uh
    As per everyone else, Bus' scuffle with the little dude and pooch was by far the thread's best moment.
  • Quick review...

  2019 mileage - You know me...don't know!

  2019 race total - PO10 says 66 - 23 Parkruns (15.58 best))

  2019 pots, placings, medals, team wins etc - Southern masters xc team silver, individual bronze. Beds masters gold with LBAC. Eastern masters xc gold, UK 1500m V45 Gold in Brum

  2019 highlights (as many as you like) - 8.58 3,000M at Wimbledon, on the all time V45 list, and on the indoor all time list with the 9.01 in Torun, which was a great experience. The mile at Westminster has a laugh with the hilarious amount of name checks I got.

  2019 lowlights (as many as you can stand re-hashing httpsforumsrunnersworldcoukresourcesemojismilepng) - definitely the 5,000m at MK, sub 16 but it was horrible. Also the LFOTM in October went tits up. Good to act as reminders of how horrible it is when it goes wrong

  2019 - stuff you wanted to do, but didn't (if distinct from the above) none really, I knew a medal in Torun would be tough.

  Best thread moment of the year – Bus and his various capers, poor Matt H and his endless hilly races (poor bugger!)

  Best thread performance(s) of the year – Muddy’s 10k in Barca is very good, lets not forget Dean’s 1500m win in Torun. Where has that lump of lard gone? ;) Joe and Reggies races off less than ideal training.

  Thread poster of the year – SG, the whole Endure saga..the build up, the race and the afters..

  2020 - aims (be it times, races, trips, team stuff etc, for you, or someone else) - British masters indoors 1500m in March, Westminster mile in May, getting the 800 & 1500m times down again. Possibly go for the England M45 xc team in Dublin

  2020 - stuff you will do to improve your own game – Speed stuff. More than last year

  2020 improvements to make to the thread? (I know we're brilliant, obvs...but could we be more brilliant?) Some women – and a meet up!!!!

  2020 - one to watch – Muddy I’d say. Will do very well in the V50. Plus Joe and Reggie

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    First of all thanks for all the positive well wishes, very comforting. I won't pass them on to my wife as she'll probably wonder why I am telling a bunch of running weirdo strangers on the internet about it :D

Enjoying all the reports, really helps to get a feel for what everyone has been up to and adds motivation for the new year.

Some great running recently, nice LFOTM turnout from Bus, I sometimes forget you can run fast as well as trudging through hilly mud. Cracking form from you Wool with the 5k/10k double. Good to see a solid year despite your fear of heights SG, I assume you'll not be doing the Murder Mile again for fear of looking down. Solid year of improvement from MH.

Joe, nice to see you being sensible and forgoing the Xmas day marathon, not least because it makes me feel better about my short Christmas day run. Nothing worse than thinking you've done well doing a run on Christmas Day to check Strava and seeing some show off ran a marathon for fun. Question is if you get a ticket to Kona at Cork will you still go in 2020 or hope to qualify at Wales for 2021?

Muddy you've had a cracking year and age-defying too, gives me comfort that PBs could still be ahead for those of us that have'nt really explored our potential at a younger age. Thanks for the one-to-watch shout but we don't need Yennec to fact-check my alledged youthfulness with 45 approaching this year!

Pete - top review from the thread nice guy ;)don't listen to physios, especially if he/she is like bus' physio.

Ynnec nice up to date pop culture references :D
  • Reg - can completely relate to this; 'First of all thanks for all the positive well wishes, very comforting. I won't pass them on to my wife as she'll probably wonder why I am telling a bunch of running weirdo strangers on the internet about it'. 

Sometimes I think before I speak and say, 'well Stevie G' said, and she's like, 'who the f*ck is Stevie G', and I have to launch into an explanation. 

Re; Cork/Wales & Kona, I can't imagine a scenario where I got a slot and didn't take it - don't feel like I'm good enough to just turn it down willy-nilly. So will have to see what happens in Cork, ideal world would be I get one in Wales and have a year to plan an assault on a decent performance. 

Simon - Cracking year from you, some really impressive results in there. 

Pete - likewise. Really hope you stay injury free this year. Definitely keep up that strength and maintenance stuff, it's really important (but boring, I know).

Lining up a long run to parkrun tomorrow morning. Yes we are one of those loser couples doing each letter of the alphabet for parkrun, with just V, Y and Z to go. Victoria Dock on the cards. Simon will be horrified to know 2 things - one, that I'm likely to make an appearance over at Beckenham in the Surrey League next Saturday, but even worse, I'll most probably parkrun in the morning beforehand (*ducks for cover*). 
  • Enjoying reading these recap reports! It's funny how much you can actually forget over the course of the year - SC, nice one on recalling Dean's exploits at Torun! Maybe if we mention him enough, he'll pop up on here again? :D

I'm especially impressed by the cycling miles that are popping out - Pete, Reg and Joe (with some crazy swimming too). 

SC, I'm still hoping that all of these Cornish hills will come in use one day. For what its worth, my 1855 miles had a climbing total of 126,270 ft (or 38.5 km!), not nearly a patch on Bus!

Thanks for mentions as 'one to watch out for' - really relies on me stringing consistent running together. I'm hoping that this year will be a bit of a breakthrough, I've got a few targets in mind and fingers crossed they'll happen!

Tidy 300s there SG. Sometimes it's better to forget about the numbers and just get the work done - no use worrying about what they could/should be! Also, my two-pence worth, I reckon regular parkruns whilst you're building back into the speed will do you good (if you can accept these times will turn up on your Po10 record) as they'll offer great markers in the sand for where you are. Don't worry about not racing because you're not at your peak - they'll all serve as stepping stones, and you never know when illness/injury will stop you racing!

Back to training for me yesterday - 6 x 800m off 3mins cruise. Prescribed 10km pace, so right around 3min per rep. First came out fast at 2:55, but felt comfortable, so I kept with it and the rest were 2:52-2:54. Pleased with that, even though it's more 5km pace than 10km, but I did feel like I could have done a couple more. Legs utterly goosed today though, half a dozen 30s strides made this afternoon's easy run more of a slog.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Reg - can completely relate to this; 'First of all thanks for all the positive well wishes, very comforting. I won't pass them on to my wife as she'll probably wonder why I am telling a bunch of running weirdo strangers on the internet about it'. 

Sometimes I think before I speak and say, 'well Stevie G' said, and she's like, 'who the f*ck is Stevie G', and I have to launch into an explanation. 

Re; Cork/Wales & Kona, I can't imagine a scenario where I got a slot and didn't take it - don't feel like I'm good enough to just turn it down willy-nilly. So will have to see what happens in Cork, ideal world would be I get one in Wales and have a year to plan an assault on a decent performance. 

Simon - Cracking year from you, some really impressive results in there. 

Pete - likewise. Really hope you stay injury free this year. Definitely keep up that strength and maintenance stuff, it's really important (but boring, I know).

Lining up a long run to parkrun tomorrow morning. Yes we are one of those loser couples doing each letter of the alphabet for parkrun, with just V, Y and Z to go. Victoria Dock on the cards. Simon will be horrified to know 2 things - one, that I'm likely to make an appearance over at Beckenham in the Surrey League next Saturday, but even worse, I'll most probably parkrun in the morning beforehand (*ducks for cover*). 

I absolutely love that!

The idea that any of my wafflings can make it into real life chat :D

I have to think carefully about how I reference anyone on here! It's superb though, and keeping most of the chat on here, or with running club buds, avoids that real risk of being "that running bore" to normal people :)

ps that alphabet thing is nice..but there's no X which has to ruin it a bit!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying reading these recap reports! It's funny how much you can actually forget over the course of the year - SC, nice one on recalling Dean's exploits at Torun! Maybe if we mention him enough, he'll pop up on here again? :D

I'm especially impressed by the cycling miles that are popping out - Pete, Reg and Joe (with some crazy swimming too). 

SC, I'm still hoping that all of these Cornish hills will come in use one day. For what its worth, my 1855 miles had a climbing total of 126,270 ft (or 38.5 km!), not nearly a patch on Bus!

Thanks for mentions as 'one to watch out for' - really relies on me stringing consistent running together. I'm hoping that this year will be a bit of a breakthrough, I've got a few targets in mind and fingers crossed they'll happen!

Tidy 300s there SG. Sometimes it's better to forget about the numbers and just get the work done - no use worrying about what they could/should be! Also, my two-pence worth, I reckon regular parkruns whilst you're building back into the speed will do you good (if you can accept these times will turn up on your Po10 record) as they'll offer great markers in the sand for where you are. Don't worry about not racing because you're not at your peak - they'll all serve as stepping stones, and you never know when illness/injury will stop you racing!

Back to training for me yesterday - 6 x 800m off 3mins cruise. Prescribed 10km pace, so right around 3min per rep. First came out fast at 2:55, but felt comfortable, so I kept with it and the rest were 2:52-2:54. Pleased with that, even though it's more 5km pace than 10km, but I did feel like I could have done a couple more. Legs utterly goosed today though, half a dozen 30s strides made this afternoon's easy run more of a slog.

Possibly young son, possibly. I just embrace Saturday lie ins though, as mad as that sounds for a guy getting up at 6am every other day, and doing 60+mile weeks alone most weeks!

Nice session. Probably always going to do those 800s a bit quicker with 6, as 6x800 is the classic 5k session! Stepping it up to 8 would probably have tempered you a little bit. But generally, never too much of a problem coming out faster.

And zones are one of those things that sound easy to establish, probably because under Moz everything was always spot on and you could see the science!

But when you either haven't raced for a while, or are a bit off peak, not quite so easy to judge.

• Stevie G said:

ps that alphabet thing is nice..but there's no X which has to ruin it a bit!

Until China comes along and those with more money than sense jump on a plane. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying the end of year reports. I can't believe how much I've forgotten!

Simon - you're definitely getting old! You told us about that woman falling in the lake already :wink: Not so old you show any signs of slowing down mind!  Reminds me, where's Philip's double NYD report then?

Wool - outstanding Christmas/NY 5k and 10k combo given the timing :smile:  

Nice sesh SG - a statement of intent :smile: Tidy 800s too Matt. 

Cheers for all the positive comments about the LFOTM 5k. I was as much relieved that I wasn't as totally past it as I was beginning to think as anything!  Hopefully it has given me a bit more motivation to race again.

Felt a bit better this afternoon, despite a sleepless night, so chanced my arm on an easy run. Just 4 miles, and my stomach wasn't happy about it, but energy level was OK. Just nice to get off the mark for 2020!!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Just entered Wokingham Half :smiley: Don't know why I'm smiling about it - it'll be a world of pain!!!

Anyone else entered? Having missed the GFA cut off last year by 9 secs I thought the £1.60 "service fee" on top of the £30 entry was a bit rich - but no matter, I intend to get my money back by running sub 1:25 :wink:
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - as the others have said, best wishes, thats a shitty thing to happen, hopefully it can be managed like Simons friends.

Good to see the thread summaries, a great read and its nice to see what makes folks tick. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - good to see you getting back towards normal speed again, that was a lot of wins !

Simon - you are a humble dude.

Muddy - you could be real good if you actually did some training, you always seem to be resting or recovering, but maybe you have found the magic formula.....i defo think that you reign it in on the right side of "stimulate not annihilate". Very impressive.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon that's one heck of a race total. I know loads is short track. But still
    I think like a lot of things you definitely get in the habit of racing. Will have to find a fitting first for 2020
  • TR - I don't think I've found the magic formula but I do put a lot of consideration into rest and recovery, and train very conservatively with usually one 'session' per week.

Maybe rest and recovery plays on my subconscious so I tend to mention it a lot on here. Or maybe it's the furious training paces reported here that make me yearn for rest!  My one session in a week is typically high end aerobic or threshold-ish,  running continuously.

I raced a lot recently, alternating hard efforts with race efforts every other weekend as part of a race phase, shifting the session to the race day. In between it's been mainly low end aerobic stuff and rest.

I didn't taper properly for the 10k with a 50 mile overload week preceding it. This  week has been 4m recovery, 7m recovery, 4m recovery. Tomorrow I'll try to get my legs moving for the county cross country champs, and then I am truly cutting mileage for my target half a week on Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Muddy  -  it works well for you, great to have that much understanding and restraint re your body. I typically do very little hard work in training, so have resolved to do more. Im happy to use races as build up untapered races too. I did last yrs Chichester 10k with a 5m wu and 9m wd ( thats a lot of laps of Goodwood motor cct).
  • Yeah I would've probably left the 9m afterwards out on that one TR ! I did 10m with 10k threshold on Boxing Day and that felt like plenty for me to absorb (2.5m up and 1.5m down).

Another thing I do (which I don't see much mention of here) is weights at least once a week. It's mosrly single leg stuff working to failure and takes about 20 mins covering hamstrings, adductors, glutes and quads. I try to do those on my session day as often as time permits.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Muddy - agreed, weights is a good idea esp as we get older.