Overdone it?

Comments

• Thanks Skinny, great start to the year with the parkrun. My recovery run this morning was happily on empty streets as I creaked my way very slowly round a park here.

Cheers McF, that's two really good long runs. I was thinking to work my long run round the xc champs this week or do back to back double digit days on Saturday and Sunday. Anyway will see how I recover and fingers crossed see you and  Lou there at the woods.
  • Great work, Skinny!  You'll be subbing 20 in no time at this rate!  

I did my recovery run around a very busy parkrun, chatting with a mate in a sedate 26 minutes or so.  They had a record-breaking 900 people there this morning!  Mad.  Followed by a fry-up at the pub.  Starting the 20s right.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Muddy, top bombing there. You may be hitting sub 34 as a v50 shortly! 

i think i will adopt a slightly more aggresive tactic in my pending 10k and take more of a risk with a harder early pace. 

Tommy, yes, 60 events not races. Noted. 

Skinny, great parkrunning. As mcf says, you'll be back to sub 20 in no time at this rate. 

Looks like you are getting some good training in, mcf. 

keep at it, Kevin. Do you still have random stomach issues whilst on training runs?

An easy 6m on NYE then yesterday was a scheduled rest day, which was just as well given my condition! Off for 6 again shortly then bodypump tonight. 

Entered a few races last few days so have a build up to London. Speedway 10k in 2 weeks, then Village Bakery half mid Feb, Knighton 20 early March and road relays late March. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Muddy- awesome, that's a fine effort. I've seen a few people doing fast 10k's in Spain/Portugal over the last few days, might be something I'll consider for this year. 

Skinny - nicely done, get yourself to a parkrun which isn't long or partially on grass and I'm sure you'll be under 20. 

Looks like a decent selection of build up races, DT. Hopefully see you at the road relays, I have pencilled in the midlands and the nationals, whether I'll be selected for either is another matter. Although we might be at the stage now where we can send an A and a B team to the midlands. 

I had a very sedate run round a parkrun yesterday, might give one a decent go on Saturday to see where I'm at. 

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Muddy....fantastic time great end to 2019

Skinny great time and im sure you are buzzing to be out running and smiling

McFlooze some crowd for a park run and mp run

DT plenty of races ahead, i haven't had any issues for a while

Tommy parkrun means lung buster go for it

9mls today in the pouring rain... enjoyed it and sets me up for 16 on Saturday
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Tommy2D said:

End of year review anyone ?

Same format as last yuear...

2019 Stats

Total Distance about 1350 miles but I'm a bit useless and my battery dies and I forget to record warm up's and stuff so maybe a bit more.

2019 Races (Tally/breakdown)

Power of 10 has me down for 47 events but that doesn't include the 10 fell races and some non UKA events, I'd guess at around 60 which includes 31 parkruns, 3 x road miles, 3 x road 5k, 4 x 10k, 2 x HM, 2 x marathon then a whole host of random distances from the summer league, Sutton Park relays, trail and fell races etc.

2019 Achievements

No PB's or county vests to report this year.

2019 Personal Highlights

Having a good go at some fell races including a couple of pretty savage ones. Really enjoyed not worrying about mile splits or pace etc and just getting enjoying running on the fells. I also ended up 3rd in our club fell champs and was up against some decent fell types so I was pleased with that. 

I also really enjoyed the relays at Sutton Park both in the spring and the autumn.

Beating my course best at Worksop half was also pretty pleasing.

2019 Personal Lowlights

Having the misfortune of attempting a marathon in baking hot conditions in the spring for the second year running. I felt like I was in decent shape and could maybe have PB'd. I also regret not doing a HM in the build-up to the marathon to take advantage of the fitness gains

2019 Poster of the year

Always close this one, but I'll go for Skinny. It's great to see you back running consistently and enjoying it

2019 Thread performance(s) of the year

DT with his perfectly executed London marathon or Muddy casually winning (unofficially) a 5 mile race whilst winning a 10 mile race. 

2019 Thread moment of the year

A couple of pages ago when we had 10 different posters on one page for the first time in years.

2020 Aims & targets

A couple of aims, including to race the half distance properly as my PB is well out of date and pretty soft I think.

I'm not doing a spring marathon after the previous two years but might be tempted in the autumn.

Will continue with the fell running too.

And as always to enjoy running and try and stay injury free.

2020 One to Watch

McFlooze. Some very consistent mileage resulting in a very decent parkun over Christmas, all bodes well for a good marathon campaign (if she stays off the snow).

I recognise this format from somewhere...
    😂🔥😄

All the best all.
    Keep the dream alive for another year
  • Thanks everyone. My legs are slowly recovering, with a 7m recovery run yesterday. 4 or 5m planned for later today - the cross country will not be pretty tomorrow.

Tommy - I can recommend the Barcelona race, though it can be windy.on occasion as it's along the seafront.

DT - Would love to be doing the winter Speedway. Might join you for Village Bakery if it doesnt clash with the Stourbridge Stagger or parenting.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Is it 12 stage in March, Tommy? if so we'll have one team. I can probably do nationals if we make it. 

Well done on the soggy 9, Kevin. Enjoy tomorrows 16. Good your issies seem to have resolved. 

Muddy, i have unfinished business with that half after last year! 

i had a surprisingly good 7m tempo over lunch. As it was on the streets and with a few short climbs i thought id target about 6.35mm. That went out the window at mile 1 with a 6.31, followed by 3 at 6.29 so i was sat at 6.30 average but felt pretty controlled so decided to open up a bit and negative split it so posted a 6.19, 6.16 and 6.18 to finish, going through 10k in 39.44 and 6.24mm run average.  

i was working hard in last 2 miles for sure, but then i usually am in a tempo that's beyond mp. HR was 164 aveage so bang on for one that was a full on tempo. 

In other news, you'll recall i like buying things that most others consider nonsense.....well i do get a very sore back, particularly in heavy training so for xmas i got a shakti mat. Found one on amazon for £15. It's quite uncomfortable at first but I've turned a corner now and can get quite relaxed on it. 

I followed this up with a new fitness tracker as my fitbit broke recently. I was going to get another fitbit but it was £100 . I then stumbled across one on Amazon from an unknown brand that was £60 that did way more. It auto records my blood pressure every 5 mins and ave hr every 30. It also does all the usual sleep stuff etc along with an ecg. But also at night it monitors my blood oxygen and hrv and provides a very detailed report each morning on a number of related points. 

Fascinating stuff! 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    That gadget crops up in my Facebook feed every so often DT. Proof that Facebook spies on my private conversations.

I got a beanie with a light in the forehead part - it makes me feel like a superhero. Or a dentist.
  • Update: battery ran out on my beanie mere minutes into 4 miles of recovery jogging tonight.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Did you charge it first though? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I kept seeing that fb ad but didnt want to chance something from another country as if it were crap id have no where to go. i got mine on Amazon so safe as houses if goes wrong. 

Spin and pump this morning. 
  • Good tempo, DT. You're obviously getting fitter if youre needing to change your paces. Time for a race?

Happy New Year, Stevie! 

Hopefully you enjoyed dryer weather for your 16, Kevin. It was lovely in Birmingham. 

XC was fun! Lovely to see Muddy and get some good shouts from him. 

Had a good run. The depth of the field at the County champs not as good as for the League but was pleased to hit 9th Warwickshire masters which made me the third counter for our team who took the masters silver medals.

Course is undulating but not silly with some nice form runnable bits- much dryer than of late so not a slogfest. Went it hard and hung on. Maybe dropped a bit of time in middle mile but picked up again to finish in an ave pace of 7.10 which is quicker than I ran it in 2016 but suspect it was bit wetter then?  So finding some form again. 

Easy 10 miler tomorrow and then more xc racing next Saturday for the League which is all the way up near Stoke! 
  • Well done McFlooze - sounds like the depth of the field was not as deep in more ways than one :-)
  • DT - not sure it’s a rechargeable beanie ... good workout, taper time now ?

Congratulations again McF, nice to see you, Lou and the now not so little ‘uns.

Our men’s team was 5th from 6. Ho hum, certainly lots of quality on the Worcs men’s side, though I was as poor as ever in this fixture. It was a bit too soon after the 10k. Taking positives, I put out threshold effort for 5 point something miles, so still a good workout. Ground was much firmer and I was more than three minutes faster compared with two years ago too, though the men’s course came out slightly shorter this time.

• 2019 Stats

I ran a bit in March to May when I tried out running on my forefoot but never more than 5 miles. That ended when my post barefoot running course caused my ankle to breakdown and then I did nothing for 4 months. Done about 140 miles since start of October and last few weeks managed between 15 and 20 miles.

2019 Races (Tally/breakdown)

Well for someone who has been injured all year I seem to have managed 16 events!

13 parkruns

1 Five mile race

1 Ten k

1 Ten mile

2019 Achievements

Just running!

But I also won the MV50-54 category at the Niagara Falls 10k and the engraved medal arrived 2 days before Christmas which is a gold colour and different to the finishers medal which was silvery.

2019 Personal Highlights

5 mile race in 32:30 back in May showed that if my foot could survive then I can still get back to a decent pace (for my age) quite quickly.

The Niagara Falls 10k (see above) - that was early October.

Beating my mate at the December parkrun by 3 secs

2019 Personal Lowlights

The barefoot/forefoot running thing coming to a disastrous end.

Nothing else.

2019 Poster of the year

DT & Muddy can share this - without them this thread wouldn't exist

2019 Thread performance(s) of the year

Muddy's 34:09 at Barcelona right at end of year is hard to beat - 61st in the V45 rankings and he's not in the early years of that.

DT getting a marathon time at London that all his hard work has deserved.

2019 Thread moment of the year

I'm going for the same as Tommy - that one page where there were 10 of us all posting at the same time - a reminder of days gone by.

(but there is probably some incident with DT in a disabled toilet that I'm forgetting).

2020 Aims & targets

Hmmm, tricky. Just running 15 to 20 miles a week all year would be good but it's hard t stop the competitive juices returning.

Maybe a 5k starting with a 1 would be a good aim if I can keep the running going.

Completing a half again would also be good with sub 1:30 a goal if I was doing one.

Probably the stretch goal would be a 10k time starting with a 3.

2020 One to Watch

Not sure when Muddy becomes 50 but if it is early next year then next year could be pretty exciting for him. Run Britain handicap now 0.1 and his Barcelona 10k time would put him in top 15 nationally for a V50.

But as well as Muddy there are a few lightly raced thread members who could put in some good performances next year.

Tommy has done 60 events but very little PB targeting, McFlooze is getting back into it, Pete will need safety pin lessons if he is to race again and Kevin is clocking up some proper miles but is scared of safety pins. Any one of you could have a year to remember.

Good luck to everyone for 2020.

Cheers, Skinny

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done mcf. Interestingly you finished about 45s ahead of a lady from our club who has been put in the provisional worcestershire squad for inter counties. Demonstrates the difference in standard. 

Surely there's more than 6 worcs teams muddy, unless they simply just didnt turn up. Our seniors had team bronze and left me kucking myself i didnt enter as I'd have been very likely to be our 5th or 6th scorer. Unlike all the other shambolic county champs, you actually get your medal for this. 

I have one big week before i taper, speedway is 2 weeks today. 

Off out for 14 later. 
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Happy new year folks, just popping my head round the door again.  Good to see everyone running and racing well. 

I haven't been around enough to justify joining in the yearly review, but as a quick update, I had a few decent weeks coming into Christmas, including a surprising sub 20 parkrun (chasing Mr Mad with the buggy...)  and third lady at Wooler half marathon which was a glorious mudfest! Into training for London again now, feels good to be following a plan.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Good to read that Skinny, still ticking over.

Niagra Falls 10k?! Literally where it sounds, for the most epic thread location ever?

Or just some ludicrously named English race? I know there's a parkrun called California country park for instance!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

2019 stats

2151 miles run which is my highest ever, beating last years previous high of 2088. THIS peaked January to April during which I ran my highest mileage week of 68.

2019 Races/Events

17 events broken down as follows;

4 Parkruns

1 x 5 mile

4 x 10k

1 x 10m

3 x HM

1 x 20m

1 marathon

Rd relays once

Welsh Castle relays

There has been a deliberate shift away from untargeted racing, particularly in that January-April period.

2019 personal achievements

I have pb'd in 5m, 10m, 20m and marathon this year. 

I missed my parkrun pb by 17s (however that was on a course that measured about 80m short and has since been lengthened so it'll be hard to beat), 10k by 4s (again run on a course that measured on the shorter side of accurate) and half marathon by 9s.

Personal Highlights

Has to be the London marathon. It is difficult to imagine a race day going any better. I worked very hard for that and spent a lot of time in training 'perfecting' the negative split.

Not so much an actual racing highlight, however following a complete blow up with premature finish line anxiety (Muddy was pacing be beautifully to a pb) at the 10 mile marker at the Wrexham half I sought help for the situation and following a 45 minute telephone call with the right person I have been able to improve that condition by about 95%. I wouldn't say it is completely eradicated but I've learnt t o understand it and control it so it rarely bothers me.

Personal Lowlights

My half marathons this year. I started out with a weekend in York for the Brass Monkey only for gale force winds to come in. Then in Wrexham in February, as reported above I was cruising until my issue flared up and ended up   9s off a pb. Then in October I went to Burnham, again to find a heavily windy day.

I definitely have unfinished business with that distance this year.

2019 Poster of year

Well it's been great having Skinny popping in more frequently, and hopefully that will continue, and also Mcf back in full swing and of course Tommy comes in regularly to report so of his madcap antics. It was nice having Bob back for a while also and Kevin has established himself as a regular contributor now (he needs to go on the TTT really).

Ultimately, for perhaps the 3rd consecutive year it'll be Muddy however due to his continuous contribution.

Performance of the year 

I think Muddy's new leaps in ability, at already a very high standard, have to take it here with a 34.09 at Barcelona topping it off. I am hoping he gets a good crack at the marathon this year as he can't be far off 2.45 shape.

Thread moment

As per above, it was great having the gang back together briefly and hopefully we can get a bit more of this with both Madbee and Mcf training for London (and possible Lit?0) and Skinny with a new push.

2020 Aims and targets

Of course, most importantly I want to keep enjoying the process and avoid illness and injury so retain consistency. I have a really good recovery routine in place now for bigger days and weeks which serves me well.

In terms of running goals I have places in London and Berlin so this will be a marathon kind of year. I do want to pb in the distances I missed out on last year and looking at them, the only one that fills me with dread is trying to beat the parkrun time. of course I also want to get a good mara time and really feel I can push 2.55 if all things come together on the day.

2020 one to watch

Tough one, with Muddy in great form, Tommy hasn't really targeted that many race and in he did that would lead to some pbs, mcf is making great strides back to her former ability and now Madbee pops in with a sub 20 parkrun.

I think I'll back Muddy here and think a sub 34, 10k, 1.15 half and 2.45 mara are well within his range this next 4 months.

• Stevie G said:

Good to read that Skinny, still ticking over.

Niagra Falls 10k?! Literally where it sounds, for the most epic thread location ever?

Or just some ludicrously named English race? I know there's a parkrun called California country park for instance!

I think if it had literally been where it sounds then the last 50m would have been super fast :-) but yes the finish line was on the road right beside Horseshoe Falls.

Medals below to prove it :-)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal. I'd prefer that any day to a cheap bottle of wine or £10 voucher.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Plenty of post over the past few days, like the gym in January :)

McFlooze- seems you are getting back to form and medals too

DT- quality sessions as usual and a quality year in pb's

Skinny- medals to be proud of and everything crossed for you

Madbee- good to see you back posting

16mls at the weekend, my wife is still struggling with tight/burning leg but did 13mls, another runner struggled stopped/started and I tried to encourage both round. But to be truthful it felt a struggle again for me even at 10m/m which should be doable at this pace. 43 miles for the week, out tonight for 9mls.

• My annual review - got to do my proper one for work, so procrastinated with this instead ...

2019 mileage

2100 ish miles, with approx 87,000 ft of elevation gain, average pace 7.9 mph with an average heart rate of 127 bpm, against a max of 178 bpm. 

2019 race total

30 or so. I think I did one or two that don’t appear on Power of 10 and three DNF marathons (!). That 30 included 8 park runs, 7 10ks, 8 halfs, 2 x 10 milers (one MT)  and a 20 miler. 

2019 pots, placings, medals, team wins etc.

Power of 10 has me 1st v45 in over half the above. I think I placed top 3 in a few races that I did as workouts, but remember a couple of wins front running all the way round - the 10k race in November and the 10 mile race in early December. 

v40 county silver at 10k road with a mid week threshold workout.

Pbs at parkrun and 5k (3x),10k (2x) and 10 miles. Ice stopped pb attempts at 5 miles & HM in December.

2019 highlights (as many as you like)

For posting competitive times: Speedway 10k for a pb of 34.26; Cursa Dels Nassos 10k for a pb of 34.09 (on pretty tired legs); Walsall Arboretum parkrun in 16.27. 

For just being a stubborn bastard: making it to Maidenhead half in my expensive vest after disastrous episodes involving: insomnia, my mind in bits, my car falling to pieces, my bladder and urinary tract malfunctioning, all after a mad fever that kept me in bed for 5 days solid.

For my best ever half marathon performance: 2nd v45 in the super competitive Brass Monkey early January. Not a pb but it was blowing a gale.

For marking progress: winning the 10 mile race in December. This was a race I’ve ran every year since I started running, placing higher and higher, and it was a great feeling to finish it as the winner, with a pb, on a pretty windy day too.

2019 lowlights

Concussing myself going over on ice in January after thinking an easy social run with the club would be just the ticket. 

Despite that, getting really fit for London and then having a fever on the weekend of the race. I was feverish on and off through end of April to mid September. Every time I did a workout or race I seemed to take an age to recover so got into the habit of not doing workouts and had a mostly rubbish summer of not running as much as I wanted to. When I started peeing blood I was triggered to see the doctor.

Then I had some Achilles tendonitis (discovered to be a side effect of the peeing blood inspired antibiotics) so was stopped in my tracks again. Postponed Hull marathon in favour of York, but sadly wasn't prepared properly for either. I managed to do part of both of the latter as marathon paced sessions. The silver lining was that this put in place the foundations for a November and December training block of threshold and race paced stuff. But ultimately it was disappointing as I had really wanted to run a decent marathon this year.

Best thread moment of the year

Got to be all those runners hurtling over the Niagara Falls, and it also marked the start of a Skinny's recovery.

Honourable mention for the return of Bob for a bit, proving that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Actually we had a thriving thread in the build up to London and just after, but it dropped away in the summer. Really glad to see almost everyone back at it now.

Best thread performance(s) of the year

DT's London Marathon - started training in December; stuck at the plan and it all worked out brilliantly on the day. Same again for 2020, fingers crossed.

Thread poster(s) of the year

Skinny says he went away, but I had a few random dips through the thread of last year while writing this, and actually considering his injuries he has posted remarkably frequently and deserves a big pat on the back for not drifting away from both running and writing. DT has kept the thread going, in terms of posting training output as well as keeping us thoroughly informed of the latest gadgetry. I imagine him going to bed of an evening dressed like Robocop and the street lights nearby dimming as he plugs in to recharge.

2020 - aims 

To get that bloody marathon trained for properly and done properly. I'm signed up for Manchester. The rough plan is to get that out of the way earlier in the year and consider Valencia in early December if that doesn't work out.

Get a bit more parkrun volunteering in.

A lot has been said about me being a v50, but I think I’ll stay eternally 49 (or at least until mid June ;) ). I am not too bothered about rankings and achievements - happy mostly just to run consistently as it's pretty much my social life these days.

Time aims ? Well, that sub 34 10k is tantalisingly close but doubt I'll get the conditions I had in Barcelona on NYE for a while: cool, no wind, flat course, super fast field ( video_of_the_finish_34_mins_onwards )

2020 - stuff you will do to improve your own game

I promise myself always that I will do some proper long runs, but I never really do. Also to do some speed work. But I never do. And to do more  core work which is currently inconsistent. Get up earlier, eat better, sleep better etc.

Perhaps I’ll just end up doing what I’ve been doing so far: plenty of easy running, race frequently.

2020 - one(s) to watch

Madbee and McF are both training like demons. Skinny will rise again. DT looks set for a big leap forward.
  • Thanks for having some belief in me folks - if you saw my training and diet you'd probably retract all that :)

So cross country was, as I guessed up thread, very poor on Saturday - 12th v40 (10 year categories) and I woke up on Sunday with a really sore throat and swollen glands. I wasn't at all minded to do a long run.  So I didn't.

Today I tried 5 miles at lunchtime which wasn't too fast or wearying, though it pissed it down and my fingers were white by the time I got back. I'm keeping those same fingers crossed for the current glandular situation to be minor and resolve itself by Sunday.

DT - I would taper a bit longer for the Speedway 10k. I remember remarking on the sessions ahead of your last 10k as being a bit on the testing side ... I know I can't talk given the stuff I did ahead of Barcelona but I was mainly thinking about a peak week a fortnight before the Brass Monkey in my planning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it started raining as i nipped out for my 4m recovery lunchtime run. 

I have a big session tomorrow but after that the rest of this week is pretty much just easy miles, save for a mp tempo friday. Even from that, i have 9 days before the race so thats pretty decent recovery time. 
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Good review Muddy, fingers crossed for your marathon attempt this year

DT how did the big session go

9mls on Monday with 6mls avg just under 8m/m, first session in a while and tried to work without a friend to get round, he stopped a couple of miles in and told me to go on, so chased others up ahead and managed to reel some in, had someone on my shoulder for a couple of miles which kept me motivated and managed to push away near the end :) hope I can build on this over the coming weeks, out tonight for 8mls.

• I allowed myself an extra day off yesterday.  After three days including a XC race, a ten mile run, another ten mile run I was feeling slightly battered.  I had my planned day off Monday and then yesterday gave into my sore throat and the sound of rain on the window and stayed in and watched telly instead.  Is my marathon ruined?! 

I have XC again on Saturday so going to make that sub for the LT session.  I know it's a bit different but it will do.  I've done three weeks of 40 plus mile weeks so going to make this a cut back week.  Which will be 10; 0; 0; 5 with strides; 0; 6 (inc XC); 15 = 36 miles.  Acceptable in the interests of not overdoing it?  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Big session went ok, 8 x 1k at 10kp off 90s. It was pretty hard going in that on my out and back route the even reps were entirely straight into a 20mph headwind. Obviously I had the tailwind benefit on the odd reps but it never quite seems to give what you lose and it tends to upset the balance of the session.

Anyway, average pace for the session was 6.08mm which is the average pace of my last 10k so came out ok.

Mcf, that's pretty good going post xc. One of the reasons I won't do it is because it used to leave me feeling battered for much of the next week.

Easy 8m yesterday and 5m to come tonight.

• 8 x 1km sounds terrifying!  Especially off 90 seconds.  Good work.