Comrades 2020

Comments

• Happy new year all  :)

First run of Bronze medal training plan done. I had a bad December so distinctly overweight and under-fit, but the process has begun!

In peoples' experience, are Emirates likely to have a sale in January, or should I just crack on and book flights? Return from Birmingham via Dubai currently £690, which seems pretty good given distances involved.....
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    johnny - doesn't matter about being under fit now, mid june is the important date!!!

And re flights, i flew with emirates last year and i think around mid January i found them for £500. Hoping for the same again this year ;)
  • Thanks Marty- I'll hang fire then and hope for a bargain!
  • Sadly looking like I will miss that fun flight Dubai-Durban, which I regret, as it's been a lovely part of my Comrades experience all three times so far. I have relatives I rarely see who are flying over from the US to watch some baseball(!) and will be arriving on the Thursday morning, so I need to book the BA direct flight on the Thurdsday afternoon so I can see them for a couple of hours before I leave.
  • Another one here (waves at lowrez) who finished a Comrades off the back of no more than a marathon (though as Debra says you do really have to be able to just knock one out even if you're not going further). 
    When I could, I would do a 50k training run  made up of a hilly 5 mi out-and-back stretch near home, a few weeks out from the race. Loos never more than a couple of miles away!!! But sometimes life didn't let me.

Why not walk/run a just-in-case qualifier - then you're not stuck if you get injured or sick for your planned qualifying race. It's one thing for the locals but it's a bummer if you've splashed hundreds on flights and hotels...

Malta isn't a bad practice for Comrades as it is (though net downhill) not flat, and warm-for-february.

I did once drive to Box Hill and ran up it twice for Comrades practice! As Comrades is basically 2 marathons and a parkrun with 5x Box Hill stuffed under the route, it was as specific as you can get in this damp country. (Think SlowDuck recommended it).

Comrades is a long day unless you're Bruce "finished by lunch" Fordyce. You get up at 2am (say), hang around for hours in the dark (is sometimes nippy too). Start at the alarming hour of 5:30. Try not to fall over the 4-inch-high (iirc) cateyes and discarded clothing. Run up or down hill *all* day (ok maybe there are a few flat kms if it ends in Durban and there is maybe 1 or 2 en route but yeah...). Deal with the effects of necking cola/energade/gels for hours with some bananas, potatoes and biscuits on top. There may be barfing. Spray energade instead of water on your head by mistake. 
    Deal with the fact it's now ??30 deg C with no shade and there may be blisters/chafing which came on after 5h (say) and the end is still 3+ hours away.

.....hmmm TBH though if my PF and dicky knee were magicked away and I lost twenty pounds I could be talked into doing it again nonetheless!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    F2D, you just described the perfect Comrades :D
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I think everyone who has ran comrades can relate to that and smile. Can't wait to experience it again :)
  • Sounds fantastic F2D
  • Question, does anyone use glucosamine? Joints are a bit achy, wondering if this would help? Or just better to lose the Christmas excess??
  • I do Dubairunner, started taking it when I was getting pains in my knees. The pains did ease off over the next couple of weeks and haven't come back since, but of course that may have happened anyway. Still there does seem to be some scientific evidence for its effectiveness so I've kept on taking them (when I remember).
    Debra, my long run this weekend took me down your way, looping through Kenley and Sanderstead. Sanderstead Hill in particular seemed to go on forever. Was just wondering if that's the sort of thing to expect at Comrades, or are the Comrades hills even longer and steeper? I don't have any big hills near me so I was thinking of doing more training runs around there if you'd recommend it. 
  • Comrades hills are longer than anything we have, but Sanderstead Hill is a good one, also Old Farleigh Road in Selsdon, from the bottom near Selsdon Wood all the way up to the big Sainsbury's. There are some others - I'll have a think. A club mate has taken to doing a hill training session by running from Lower Addiscombe Road up to Addiscombe Road on one of the side roads, back down on the next one and so on, pushing on all the hills. And one of our club speed training sessisons is repeats up Upfield (continuing left into Mapledale and to the top of that where it reaches Lloyd Park.
  • Thanks baldstan, guess I’ll start off on the more expensive higher dose age and see how that goes.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    A belated happy new year from me.

I just got an email about the Emirates sale, Johnny, so you were right to hang fire.  I'm already booked.

Regarding Comrades hills, they are long but not especially steep.  As Debra has said we don't have much in the way of hills like them but many of the smaller climbs (which are long hills by our standards) have similarity to the hills in the Denbies estate when I've run there and if I was in the south I would be tempted by this https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/denbies-20 race round there on the 28th March.  In the midlands I like Beacon Hill in Leicestershire, not least because it's local to me, as it has long, runnable climbs and good surfaces.  I'm likely to run Charnwood Marathon again, also on March 28.

Sorry you won't be on the Comrades flight from Dubai this year Debra!

Good to see you getting some miles in on Strava, Lowrez.
  • Becca, did your email say when the sale starts? Just checked and my flights still same price at the moment

No running today, but I spent all afternoon shovelling hardcore for a driveway, so that must count as some kind of strength workout....
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Hi Johnny, it said the sale was on now. I don’t know if everything is included or just some destinations. The email was from Emirates Skywards so I don’t know if it’s just for members of that. 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I just checked and Birmingham to Durban via Dubai is the same price that I paid weeks ago. 
  • Thanks Debra. Just had a look at your suggestions on the map and I think I should be able to string a few of them together and combine them with some running through the woods, so I break up the pavements with a few softer, scenic trails. Looking forward to trying some new routes too, I was feeling like I was getting in a bit of a rut doing laps of Tooting Common. 
  • My running club, Striders of Croydon, has a 'standard' 90-minute Sunday run that's more trail than pavement and quite undulating (includes Old Farleigh Road). You might want to join us one Sunday (you can try about 3 sessions before joining the club) as part of your long run?. It's an 8.30am start from the clubhouse, which is at the top of the road called Sandilands, where it meets Grimwade Av. (parked on Google as Addiscombe Cricket Club).
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    F2D - Just caught up on the Forum after a couple of weeks in the lake district and I thought you captured it  perfectly.  And its the down run this year so there is the site of thousands of people doing the John Wayne walk around Durban beachfront on Monday.
  • Thanks Debra, that sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday morning and to explore some new trails so I might come down and join you one morning. I've recently joined Herne Hill Harriers as I knew some people who were members already and they train on the track just down the road from me, so as long as the Striders don't mind that I'd love to come down.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Dubai runner. I'm using magnesium and Omega 3 suppliment. From the research I did it seems that some cases of joint pain are caused by calcification of the joint. The ratio of calcium to magnesium seems one important factor, with too much calcium in modern diets with respect to magnesium. It has worked to some extent
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year all. First run of the year and I ripped my ankle ligaments again on my hill on my new farm. So I'm on the bench again after the same injury in November when I fell in a pot hole at night. Very annoying!!!!!

• Bike it, thanks I've bought Flex-a-min. Hope it works as 50 day supply cost the equivalent of £70!!! I also intend to up the amount of oily fish I eat.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.
  • lowrez, see they don't have the 2020 start list online yet for the 7-7-7. Wondering if there are any famous names running, apart from yourself!!

When you have a wish list of snacks let me know.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry that you are on the injury bench again, Bike It.  Ripped ligaments sound nasty, I hope it won't hinder you too much.
  • Wonderful to see how you are all progressing and heading into the New year full of excitement. I'm going chalk to cheese this year instead of Comrades and doing Boston (Lincs) marathon in April - only 26m of elevation apparently  :smiley:! I like the John Wayne analogy Peter, I remember being told how I would find myself standing in front of a 6 inch step on Comrades Monday, eagerly looking round for a 400yd flat detour to get round it - never a truer word than one spoken in jest  :smiley::smiley:!! Happy memories indeed. Good luck everyone. I'll be watching you  ;)
  • baldstan: come along! If you want to start coming regularly you'll be expected to join second-claim (but not if you just come a couple of times. NOTE: From Lloyd Park, Croydon, you can follow the Vanguard Way down to the Coast - or to the North Downs Way and then along. Some serious climbs. Happy to take you for a jaunt one Sunday.
    Tadworth 10 on Sunday had a climb about a mile long. I felt I ran the climb better than last year, but I still need to improve on the uphills.
    Have just signed up for the SVN Kent 50 on 18th April. Almost certainly going to go for CTS Sussex on 14th March and Thee Forts on 3rd May - those should both be good hill training and Kent 50 hopefully good rehersal for Viking 100. Back to Betteshanger this Sunday for Cakeathon and to Ranscombe on 2nd Feb - was going to go on 1st as well but I've had it pointed out to me that will be event #100 at Lloyd parkrun so I think I'll want to be there!
    Bike it: sympathies! What rotten luck. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Despite some recent miles I am crocked again too - think I have overdone it on stretching my left lower back, the current pain is much sharper than anything before - dang - and it doesn't appear to be settling - good job I see Phys on Friday, and, she is bringing along a second opinion because my previous nagging pains were flummoxing her anyway - when will (there be a harvest for the world) I get back to some solid miles?

Dubai, it is very good of you to ask after my favourite snacks, hmm, I am not really sure you can get me anything, short of "penny chews" eg Maoam Stripes or the like, I don't tend to eat much else, I suppose on Comrades, because they are there, I consume anything and everything; Ritz Crackers, shortbread, salty potatoes, chocolate, banana pieces, orange segments... I am an omnivore ha ha! So did anyone every produce chocolate pretzels? I heard they'd made the drawing board but did they ever get produced?

I submitted a highly tuned and personal bio to the 777 team, at their request, in the week before Christmas (mmm Christmas cake steeped in rum and covered in white icing); their intention was to publish on Jan 1st, still not a sausage though (mmm warm pink sausage rolls from Greggs). I think they are massively distracted  on the risks associated with flight paths around Iran and The Ukraine, plus with most of Australia on fire...

BikeIT - take care; if you have repeated a recent injury you need to be very measured in re-stressing the maligned parts, recover well!

Debra - that is a lot of miles - I'm worried that you are loading too much in!

I am taking a general multi-vitamin; Sainos own brand, the list of stuff in these horse sized pills is endless, I am getting old, so thought I should make sure I get my RDA for all these things, in most cases the content of these pills is several times the recommended minimum dose, but, where vitamins are concerned; I don't think you can overdose, and at least I won't contract Rickets or Scurvy   
  • lowrez, we do have Waitrose and Marks and Spencer foodhall here, and Carrefour hypermarkets so I'm sure I can get you some supplies - whiskey and Diet Coke?
    And I don't think you'll be flying over Iraq or Iran, you route to Spain after Dubai?
  • Bladstein - You must live near me. I do a lot of running around Dulwich and include College Road in my long runs and will be doing quite a few reps and sessions of it in the lead up to comrades.