Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG if you want a proper half at end Jan just do Farnborough. Think Wool did it last year and he set himself up for his string of PB's. By all accounts a flat fast course, some of it on airport grounds there. You may even get an England Masters vest for Fleet as it's a qualifier :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    How come I've never heard of that one then? Looks a fast course!  Next year :smile:

HA77/Simon - what is the fit of the Kalenji's like? If they are particularly snug I could go a half size up?

My left hip is a bit sore this morning (an old issue) so I need to be a bit careful.  I think it might be relatively quick running on tarmac that sets it off, which is probably why it was OK for much of last year.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Pete/Bus - Not making out that the field was that muddy on Tues, but it had just got a lot less grassier and heavier, even though it hadn't rained that much. Bit weird.

On the Kalenji - I think they'll be fine for taking some of the miles off the Hupana. So primarily for the days like yesterday, just to and from work, around 6 miles in total. They are lighter than I thought, so may do some reps in them, but definitely not 15 milers or anything like that. Got some new Hupana for £52 so they will still do that role. I'm 11.5 usually, but the 11's are OK, so you may want to go down rather than up. Trail wise I reckon they would be a real bargain as you just need grip really, cushioning not so much of an issue.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers Simon. Might pop into Decathlon and try some on.  Just ordered some of these bad boys for the gloop as my Mudclaws 300s are about to die:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino1355/inov8-mudclaw-275-trail-running-shoes-~-aw19/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eP9-Ob45gIVhbHtCh27mQpyEAQYASABEgL73fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • I have a box fresh pair of Inov8 size 11s if anyone is interested. Can't quite remember the model name (x-talon 220?) - but they're very light and grippy.

Stevie - I would be surprised if you can be up and over a virus in a matter of days. Take it easy ...

My energy levels are a bit higher after my sore throat and head earlier in the week Bus. I used to take echinacea a couple of winters ago but ran out. I think my supply was from Poundland ! I go even larger on carbs and sleep a lot when I have a cold and this seems to speed up the recovery time frame.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muddy - yep, I thought i'd be back quickly after vertigo and was massively wrong, so yes, will take a very leisurely weekend!
    Need to feel good for a Nottingham/Manchester Tue/Wed, so will postpone anything long/fast until the end of next week for sure!

Always happens when you feel you've moved up a notch fitness wise doesn't it!
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    This is purely anecdotal Stevie, but I've noticed that two or three days before I get symptoms, there's a kind of super charged feeling I have - energy levels seem higher and runs come out quicker. That could all be hindsight though (comparing being ill with not being ill).
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Well i hope so, as that took months to get back to what id class usual top end easy 😄
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Farnborough HM has only been going 3 years Bus.
    How is it you're not using the X-Talons Muddy? I was planning to replace my Mudclaws with some when the uppers inevitably fall apart.
    Perfect weather this morning - cold but no ice, dry & still after a windy day yesterday. Did my 13K canal route as a tempo fartlek today with efforts of 2K/3K/600m/1K with steady running between for 7:06 average which is the fastest I've run it. Hopefully 24hrs will be enough recovery to have a decent bash at parkrun tomorrow. Back in Devon & it's gonna be breezy so I'll probably see if I can better my Xmas Day time at Bideford (20:02) rather than chase my tail at Barnstaple (scene of last week's MV50 PB)

• I bought two pairs Jooligan. The first pair are still going strong; the other pair has stayed in the box, and so I am about to have a skint January shoe sale (have a few others that I didn't get along with)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Farnborough half non PO10 then?
    Had a look on Wool's account and only saw the Surrey half, which has to be different...probably, with my extensive geography!

The Surrey one is a source of run club bantz with our best guy, as Foster is certain it was short the year Mr Samson did it! And it doesn't show on po10
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    They're the ones Jools. I find they're marginally narrow for me but still comfortable for anything from intervals to a 20 miler. I did buy a pair of Kalenji trail shoes too but they aren't that much cheaper than getting a pair of Inov8s on sale so probably won't get another pair.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Actually SG it was Worthing HM that Wool did early last year; must have got mixed up, sorry.  Pretty sure Farnborough is Po10 and also a fast course; has been run in freezing conditions both years so far I think though😉
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Fair doings... also I best not start getting too keen with mass half marathon sign ups, having done ONE in 4 1/2 years!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete beat me to it.......wool was at worthing running into a gale early Feb (so was I). Farnborough is indeed supposed to be quick. I considered it but already have chichester 10k and worrhing (again) booked.

Stubbington 10k this Sunday, typically 30 ish sec slower than chichester, but it drpends on the coastal breeze as usual. Last yrs pw to beat!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

HA77 - These are the ones that I bought, but the blue ones are more cushioned, so probably buy those if they are the same price

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-100-shoes-id_8351755.html

TR - Did Stubbington years ago - possibly 2000. Flat but as with every race down there - prone to wind!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    How does the latest Chichester compare to the one from the 2010-14 years compare TR?

That was a strange course, as it started with a steady climb for a km, had a hill later on, but finished with a real monster worthy last km down.

Eastleigh is the one I'd love to get back for, but the weasels always plot it against the 12 stage relays. In fairness though, maybe it's best left with the memory of the 34.30 pb there!
  • The longer I am reading this thread, the older everyone gets, the more WAVA chat there is. Just a bunch of old tightwads, those Decathlon trainers are fucking hideous  :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Resist WAVA as long as you can!

Tightwads is fair though!
    I even signed up for a travelodge newsletter yesterday to get 5% off :D 
  • I stayed in a Travelodge once, never again, the restaurant was a chocolate vending machine. Best case seems to be there's one of those awful restaurants that show pictures of the food and where the unwashed come in en masse on sunday for an all you can eat carvery like animals feeding up for a cold winter.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG/simon  - as a local stubby is worth doing just for the lobg sleeve training top you get given (tightwad?)........chichester course is similar early, but flat then does a lap of the motor cct which is ideal but can be windy as its exposed. Park tound the outside of the motor cct and wu and wd on the motor cct, absolutely ideal......except it was -5 when i psrked up last yr to get 5m done before a 9.30am start. 
  • Hello all! Thought I'd pop my head back in, been reading along but not posting. Had a massive loss of mojo after Berlin, then holiday and moving into our first house meant I didn't get much consistent running done. Somehow managed to dig out a PB at Telford 10k though (37.21). Starting to get back into some consistency now and I'm making my XC debut on tomorrow. 

Been good to see SG getting back to his usual self of worrying about his easy paces! Hopefully the bug is just a minor set back.

Reg sorry hear about your wife, hopefully it can be managed as best as it can.

Starting to get back into some consistency now, entered the Surrey Half, is anyone going to be there/done it before?

Will write a 2019 review shortly

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hello stranger :smile:

Reg - never had you down as a snob :smiley: Those shoes do look hideous though (although perfect for a first runner doig up to 30 miles a week apparently - how does that work then?).  Cant deny there a bargain though!
    • Mileage: 1521. Slightly less than last year but calf injury and autumn break account for that!
    • Races: 10 - 2 x marathon, 1 x half, 2 x 10k, 1 10000, 2 x 5000, 1 parkrun and road relays
    • Pots, placings, medals, team wins etc: None
    • Highlights: PB'd across all distances, Berlin Marathon
    • Lowlights: Calf injury back in Jan
    • Stuff you wanted to do, but didn't: 2.45  maratho
    • Best thread moment of the yearBus and the dwarf / shirt + SG's epic Endure report!
    • Best thread performance(s) of the year: Muddys 34.09 plus Simons consistent quality racing!
    • Thread poster of the yearSG 
    • 2020 - aims: Sub 2.45 marathon, race more on the track and a full 20/21 XC season
    • Stuff you will do to improve your own game: Try and up the mileage slightly to 60ish pw and keep on top of the strength work and recovery
    • One to watchMuddy if a marathon goes his way 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SW - knocking out pbs when half assed. Enjoy those days son, soon you'll be obliterating yourself to get even to get within a gnat's biscuit of one!

Bus, your post reminds me of blurb saying stuff like "good for runners who can run a half in 1hr 20 or under. Always found that bizarre, as what happens if you take 1hr 21? You have searing pain for the minute?

TR - I can imagine the windiness of that already. Shame they moved from the old course, I never like it when big races mess with classic routes. Usually a great reason i'm sure.

Tadley xc was the biggest race ruiner ever for me. Took such a totally unique course and made it like every other woody course.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SW - plenty of magic ahead for you with a rekindled mojo! Without any doubt,

Thanks for the reference in the report - I actually had a read back over the endure report - such a great event! A small chance I might get back there this year, but different style to last year...we'll see.

One thing's for sure, my big learning from last year would be take 4 days total rest after, not 2.

• Nice one SW.

Actually those cheapo shoes would probably be a lot better than the pair I use for lunch runs at work that have 1000 miles on them.
  • welcome back SW!

Thought Chichester was a great course, got my England vest but it was ridiculously windy. Dachs did the same race, the racecourse was silly, like running uphill. 

On way to Beckenham for the Surrey League. Hopefully might get into the 50’s. Not been top 50 for 3 years now. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You're a machine!

Took two days rest. One day as an actual ill day off work.
    But a gentle little 4 just then. Very sweaty. But that's not always a sign of anything with me!

Wanted a short tester today rather than bowl straight into a longer run attempt tomorrow.
    Will aim for longer tomorrow with one eye on a long work trip tue n wed that i need to be in decent condish for!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Set off thinking "gentle ten".

Ended with 13 averaging 7.07 with my hilly out and back route.
    First three were the hardest...like i was sweating the bad out 😄.

Salvages the week with 47.5m a solid tempo and decent length longun.