Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Yes - due to Tokyo being early, I needed a January half. Let's hope the trains behave.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Exactly right,anything is better than nothing.
    Big G-Another double digit day,you'll soon be flying again.
    Steve-I know it's a while off but what time are you aiming for? I reckon you're gonna do pretty good.
    Shades-That's a long time without arrest day so well deserved.
    Cal-Good run after your rest day.
    Just the 8 after work tonight,think I'm near a rest day as it felt a bit tougher than usual,could also be due to the amount of miles I've clocked lately.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cal - I take it Farnborough is a fairly fast course.

Ian - at Hadd base training pace and without long runs there is no real need for rest days, I just took advantage of the couple of weeks when I had no circuits class.

You've certainly put in some good solid training over the last few weeks so rest when you need to.

First proper ILTHR today so apart from the Hadd test my first 'work session' and it did feel hard.  One mile at BT pace then 4 miles at 77-80% MHR and one mile at BT pace to finish.  Nice and mild but very windy in places, good run once I got used to the faster pace.  Have to do my ILTHR at this HR until I can run at that HR with no cardiac drift over 10 miles.  :'( 

Pilates later and I have very sore abs from Tuesday, so sore that when I turned over in bed last night it woke me up.   Also have a sore calf from the step ups in circuits yesterday but although I have leg session in the gym later that doesn't seem to affect it, the calf is sore to touch, had this several times before.
  • Shades - That sounds like a tough session! Yes, still doing the kettlebell workout twice a week.
    Ian - I have no idea at the moment! Part of me wants sub 3, but from training I know I can tell the difference between running 6:50 pace and 7:00 pace at the moment, which suggests closer to 3:05 is more realistic. I'd be happy with anything sub 3:10 (PB) tbh. I guess I'll have a better idea after my HM (Wokingham) in February.
    A heavy legged 12 miles this morning, quite warm for the time of year, but very windy. Saw a crashed car, dead fox and a load of horse manure...so very scenic :-)!!
  • Shades, I hope so! Well done on your run - weather sounds much the same here.
    Steve, see how you feel on the day. I had my doubts about going for a sub-4 in Yorkshire but decided to go for it and pulled it off, so you never know.

Attempted an LT run today. 10 miler, so five miles warming up (easy/steady pace), then four at pace, then another mile cool-down. I used the same road triangle as last time (on the map it's more of a shark's fin than a triangle, really). First two miles were slightly slower than I was aiming for but the longer side of the shark fin had a headwind, so I'll let that one slide. It was still pretty tough. I was wearing my Zoom Flys and the balls of my feet got pretty sore, which hasn't happend for a while - perhaps this was down to doing this one the day after my 14 miler. (I have thin fat pads on my feet and shoes with plates have caused soreness on occassion, although sometimes it's been fine, too).
    Getting through the cool-down mile took some willpower as I really just wanted to stop and walk by that point, I was cream crackered.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, apologies if I've missed it, but what are your travel plans for Tokyo?  Are you planning a few day there apart from the marathon?  I've been watching James May's series about Japan on Amazon Prime, which is worth a watch if you have it.  
  • Yeah I'll be there for a week - aiming to do a couple of theme parks while I'm there, of course!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, Cal!

I did 4-miles mid-afternoon, dodging the rain although it was quite cold.  I'll hopefully go out for a bit longer run tomorrow and/or Saturday.  Sunday I may be able to do a short run, before going off to London for a few days, so next week will be lower mileage.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Did you get to the bottom of what the calf issue was or did it just go on it's own?
    Steve-You still have 13 weeks or so so plenty of time to work out your strategy.
    8 miles after work today,felt fine so decided I didn't need a rest,felt all good again so glad I went.Either tomorrow or Saturday will be rest though as I'm looking for another long run on Sunday
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - Kettlebells are brilliant training.  Eclectic list of items from your run, hope you didn't have too close an encounter with any of them.

Cal - good run you had yesterday, hope the feet are OK today.   How do you calculate your LT pace?

Ian - I've had this issue with my calf(s) several times now.  Always comes on 24 hours after circuits when we've done step ups.   There must be a small part of the calf muscle that I don't normally use that does get worked in this exercise, it's usually my right calf but I think that's as I favour my right as lead leg.   It becomes very sore to touch and I can feel it in a stretch, first couple of times it worried me and I stopped running but I don't do that now.  I did a leg session in the gym yesterday and I was upping the weights to the highest I've done on the calf raises and it was OK.   Still sore but less so this morning so I used my Adrenalines for my run as they have a higher drop and didn't want to put any more pressure on the calf just in case.    When I have a race coming up I don't do the step ups but do triceps dips instead.

9 miles today, should have been 10 but turned back when I came across a flooded road as it was very cold and didn't fancy wet feet when it's this cold.   Legs tired today after gym yesterday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10-miles today and I pushed the pace a bit for me, for around 5 of the miles (about 8min/miles for those, gives or take).  I hadn't planned to do that when I set out but a) it was brilliant weather conditions, with the sun out but cool conditions and b) I was feeling good so I just went with it.  It was nice to turn the legs over a bit.

It looks like tomorrow's parkrun promotion is going ahead, so I went to get my haircut so as to look my best... :D  One of the other Trotters fancies a run out afterwards, so hoping to get about 8-10ish with him afterwards.
  • Shades - based on P&D, which recommends somewhere between HM and 15K pace. I tend to go a bit nearer to HM pace which is 8:35ish.
    Rest today so went to the gym (first time since before Christmas!) and did some ham, glute and core stuff. Saw my clubmate again - she's a really good ultra runner but does the strength stuff because she had stress fractures in the past. She was saying she loses a lot of weight training - up to a stone. Not really a problem I have...
    Booked a train for parkrun tomorrow - I'm venturing to one in Sussex. It's tarmac and near the station although a bit hilly by all accounts.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hope the photoshoot goes well with your go faster haircut. ;)

Cal - yes that's the usual way of defining LT.   I wasn't sure if you'd done a test using the 30 minute run method.

It seems most of the runners I know don't lose weight when training either.

10 miles today, better conditions as less cold and less traffic, had a most enjoyable run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The shoot was really good. There were 4 there from Pro Direct involved with the shoot, 6 Trotters and 3 other local runners.

We got given the kit (together with the shoes) to change into and that was all ours to keep. There are different things in the range but I got a hoody, 2xshirts, shorts and shoes - worth over £200 I think, off their site. It was 8-11am with parkrun going off at 9am as normal, so we got a few questions asking what we were doing in brand new shoes on a very muddy course! We were each interviewed and photographed, and those of us in the new technical shirts were also asked to do a very small amount of running. Really enjoyed it all so will be interested to see how it turns out and the kit itself is really nice.

Afterwards me and two Trotters ran up and down the new cycle path for a total of 14-miles, so it was a good morning out. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that sounds like a good morning's work.   :) . Nice to get the kit too. Could be the start of a new career.  ;)

Is that the new cycle path to Moretonhampstead? 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it goes from Parke estate, past Lustleigh and on to Moretonhampstead.  Although not steep, it's broadly uphill on the way out, and downhill on the way back.  It's not tarmac, apart from some that goes on a quiet country lane, but decent running terrain and our 14-miler was about 1000ft of elevation.

I'm still not totally sure of the set up at Pro Direct.  The boss was there although not involved with the shoot as he ran parkrun, but was hanging around afterwards.  I'm 99% sure Pro Direct and Do Running is part of the same firm that he owns.  Then within Pro Direct they have Pro Direct Running and Pro Direct Soccer, and it's Pro Direct Running that have been supplying parkrun milestone shirts for some time, and now that's evolved so now they're selling this new Do Running parkrun kit.  I've been told in the past that it's their Pro Direct Soccer part of it that is the very lucrative aspect, as I think they supply a lot of football shirts etc.  Then they have another section which is We Do, which is in Torquay and for SUPing and other activities, and that's where I went to that Adharanand Finn book signing and the Nick Butter talk last summer.  I see Nick Butter is on the front of Runner's World this month in Do Running kit.

Anyway, all the people we dealt with we very, very friendly so I think it's a great fit for parkrun.

One of the other local(ish) runners there is a 1:20 Half runner and hasn't done a road marathon, but is doing London this year from the Champs start for her first marathon.  Interesting talking to her as well - she had a coach last year which was making her do easy runs at 7:30s, and she broke herself.  Now she has another coach and a lot of her easy runs are 9s, and sometimes slower if she's tired from a previous session.  She has a full time job and is doing 70-80 miles as week.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, turns out that 1:20 lady who was there today isn't "just" a 1:20 Half runner.  She was selected for the GB Ultra team last year!  I literally had no idea - she just said that she'd done some stuff for Pro Direct in the past and mentioned London and the Championship start in passing.

https://www.prodirectrunning.com/articles/2019/september/gb-ultra-running-athlete/kirsteen-welch/

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Glad the modelling went well,bonus with the free kit.
    Took a rest day yesterday,went for 8 after work today in very windy conditions, felt really slow with the wind but kept the effort the same as usual,then got drenched the last few miles so not the most enjoyable of runs but another ticked off.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it seems that sometimes runs like that fall into the "just get it done" category!

Again, not because of any particular plan, but after today's 3-miler I've ran 9-days in a row and managed 60-miles this week, hence going out for just the 3 today, to click over that milestone.  I know this coming week will be a lot lower mileage, but I feel pretty good.  Weight is back down under the 13st mark (just!) which I really don't like going over, but I did go over that over Xmas/New Year.  It will be a rest day tomorrow and I'll try and get out for a run in London Tuesday and/or Wednesday.  I do have a 6-mile route mapped out, so I'll just see how it goes.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I might try part of that path out, if I ever get myself doing long runs again ;) 

Re Pro Direct, yes I heard the same that the football kit is the mainstay of their business.   I assumed Do Running was Pro Direct's own brand.   I don't buy from them often, I've not found them competitive enough on shoes but they do stock a wide range of lovely running kit.

Interesting about that local runner representing UK in Mountain Trail running.

You've worked hard to get that 60 miles done, a step back week will fit perfectly with your snooker trip.   Good news on the weight too.   Just don't pick up a cold in London, public transport, snooker auditorium etc ;)
    I see yesterday there were no trains to Exeter as they were working on the line.  Saw all the coaches outside the station.   Hope that doesn't delay you today

Ian - the joys of winter running, but we should be grateful that we're not having to struggle with icy conditions (yet).

10 miles today, my hilly route with a few little add on sections, the sun came out and when it did was nice and warm but the wind was bitter at the top of the hills.   Saw about 10 hen pheasants together and saw the first real snowdrops of the year (not the garden cultivated sort).    I'm really enjoying my running at the moment I'm not sure how I'm going to get myself to do longer runs again, I'll have to think of a plan. :/   Wore my new shoes, Dynamis today and they are brilliant on hills, up and down.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, one of the people I’m going with lives in Exeter and when I came to book the train tickets I saw it was bus replacement from Paignton. So I’ve driven to Exeter and parked at this place, and catching the train from there.

Yes, really hoping I don’t pick up any bugs, injuries etc!  There’s 3 of us and we’ve got two aisle seats between us so I’m hoping they may help at the snooker.

I’d do that route again too. Maybe one day I’ll go and do that parkrun, and then do the route for a total of 17ish. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - That's handy you could park at your friend's house.   I think the buses work well but I guess can be a lot slower.

Your aisle seat reminds me when as part of my day job I was selling tickets over the phone for a show at the Festival theatre and the headline act was popular with the elderly.   We got several request from elderly gentlemen wanting an aisle seat because they either had an artificial leg or gout or some other such problem, no runners ;) 

• Ooh snowdrops, I always enjoy seeing those (I had a cat called snowdrop when I was a kid. And yes, he was white. And also deaf as a post).

Big G, glad it went well.

Yesterday I did Clair parkrun in Hayward's Heath. A bit further out of town but I chose it as it's a) hard paths all the way and b), actually straightforward to get to (one train change and very close to the station). I've actually arrived home later after some of the London parkruns.
    It's a small park, so it has the most laps I've done aside from Highbury Fields - four and a half. Unlike Highbury, which is on a gentle slope, it is bloody hilly. There were around 250 runners which I figured wasn't bad compared to many of the London runs, but Clair's paths are super narrow so apparently this is a lot for them (they had to ban running with dogs for this reason) and the first lap was pretty congested.
    The RD was really welcoming and came to talk to me as soon as she spotted my cow cowl.
    I did my usual one mile warm-up and realised just how hilly the park was. The main climb is short but damned steep - a bit like the one at Ally Pally - and then there's a more gentle climb before you come down again.
    First lap was pretty slow due to the congestion but it spaced out a bit after that. I actually liked the challenge of the steep hill and passed quite a few people there, but I kept getting passed by the same people on the downhill. It wasn't massively steep but still steep enough that I took it easier than most.
    I was a bit disappointed with my time (28:09) but then when I reviewed it in Garmin Connect, I realised just how hilly it was - Garmin made it 92m of gain which is very close to Mole Valley, the hilliest I've done to date. Thing with Mole Valley is that all the climbing comes in the first two thirds and then it's downhill, and a nice downhill I can speed down, whereas this being laps was just constant. Anyway, a good way to do some hill reps I guess!

Today I was considering going out with the club for my long run, but I was awake before 5 again and didn't want to wait until 9 to run, so I went out at 6:30 and did 20, making the route up as I went along. At one point I found myself on Northcote Road near Wandsworth Common, where my club does a hill session sometimes (the road sits in a valley of sorts, so the roads either side of it are hills and you can zig-zag up and down them) so I thought, when in Rome, and did a few of my own (because you can never do too many hills, right? Nothing as challenging as Clair but I actually enjoyed it).
    I finished my 20 in just over 3:30 which is par for the course - started slow and finished faster so a big neg split (got to 10 miles in 1:49).
    And that's a 54 mile week done.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Another good long run and nice weekly mileage.
    Big G-60 is a great week on your way back,hope you have a good few days.
    I was hoping to do 20 miles this morning,15 then a 5 mile inter-club league race but the weather was horrific this morning,30mph winds and torrential rain so I just went for the race as it was down to have eased a bit by time it started.As it started the rain had stopped but the wind was still in the 20's and as it was on the North Wales coast we had a solid 2.5 miles in to it,then 2 with it against your back then the last 0.5 in to it again,tried to slipstream where possible but it was very hard at times,but the tailwind part was great,finished just under 31 I think(forgot to stop watch) previous 5 mile PB was 31:58,but that's very soft,then did a 5 mile cool down run to bring up 10 for the morning.
    Had lunch and recovered a bit and went and did a 10.5 run this afternoon to bring up nearly 68 miles this week.
    When running it made me think,what is better for you,as an example,a single 15 mile run or 2x10 mile runs on the same day?
    I get 2x10 isn't as good as a 20,but if it means you are doing more overall mileage and still getting a longer run in on a different day would the miles be better?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's another great week's training from you, mileage and some decent hills too.   That was a hilly parkrun.

Ian - and a good week from you too, nice PB to finish the week too.  You're very disciplined to go out again after the race and knock out another 10 miles.

Training wise, depending on what you're training for and pace etc, I would say 2x 10 miles is a better day's training.

You have a half marathon coming up soon don't you?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I won't change anything for this cycle but that's interesting as despite racing 5,tonight's 10 seemed pretty easy compared to a 15.
    Yes I am doing one next weekend,current thinking is to run this at marathon effort/pace,then another 2 weeks after that I'll be looking at racing hard.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - from my own experience I've always improved my fitness and race results when I've increased my mileage by running doubles rather than one longer run a day.

As I've now seemed to developed an aversion to long runs I'm thinking that when I start to increase my training mileage I might just do that by running doubles and no longer runs, we'll see. 
  • Ian - wow, a race and a run on the same day, yikes! Great time in difficult conditions.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning.  I always check the forecast and hang out the window briefly so I can try and get kit right for the weather but it unexpectantly started to rain heavily just after I started running.  Then turned into torrential rain, windy too, and I was getting soaked, wet feet after 2 miles.  Ironic as I'd deliberately gone out early today as I think it's Storm Brendan that's due to come in this morning and I was trying to avoid the start of that. 

I have sketched out a training plan to take me up to the end of April with no long runs and up to 3 doubles a week, top mileage 70mpw.   Not 100% decided if I'll follow the plan yet, we'll see.