Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR, I've seen that one report this morning. I can't see it happening now, it's gone on too long and all the other shoe makers are scrambling around the same tech.

Gul, I've had a flipbelt about 4 years. I love it for marathons. I can get 8 gels in easily enough and a few electrolyte tabs and once you've got it on and in position it's easy to forget about. I am 32 waist and went for a medium after taking advice directly from flipbelt directly.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I'm trying to make an effort to run more and stop by to say hello on here too. 

SBD - I haven't booked any races for this year yet but I have just seen there is a half end of March that I may do. It's been years since I've raced one and my pb is terrible so would like to try and improve on that if possible plus it's a new course which could be fun. I note your training is going great guns. Nice to be able to run a sub 40 10k in training! What are your A races this year?

Alan/Nicko - Nice one re Boston. I'd love to do Boston and got a qualifying time in 2018 but can't see myself doing now for a few years as I have other things on the go. 

Gul - So pleased you are doing London. I hope you get to the start line in a healthy state and you can have a great race. What's the target for the half? Will you race it flat out or use it as a MP run?

G-Dawg - Nice Kenyan hills! 

DT - I like your target for your 10k, sounds doable all things being well.

OO - Shame about the hip. Have you taken up yoga? I recall you saying you might. I have started doing a bit again and it's worked wonders for my lower back which tends to be stiff. Nice half and swimming too.

Leslie - Well done on the weight loss. Makes such a difference to the pace. 

Stevie - Impressive weekly mileage. 

TR - When is your half? I recall you saying you wanted to get back down to low 1:20's again. That would be very good. 

First double run of the year yesterday. 5k hilly lunch run with a work colleague and then down to the harbour to meet up with the local athletics club group for intervals. It was my first proper speed sesh in a while. 20 x 30 seconds hard with 30 secs walk/jog recovery. Averaged about 5mm for the fast bits which were about 160m so nothing special but it's a start. Out again on lunch today for an easy 5k. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hey Gerard, good to have you back. You have a lot of natural talent and do well off limited training. Hope you stick to the new regime 😉

I tried a few pilates classes, but not brave enough for Yoga yet...
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Gul - I'm a similar waist size and I have a medium flipbelt. I agree with TR I'd usually do a couple of strides in my warm up which definitely make stepping up to tempo pace a lot easier.

SBD - Cracking tempo as usual. My peak mileage for Berlin was 61m so this will be a bit of a jump but one I think I can handle. Especially as I run most runs super easy, (around 8-8.15/mile pace)

Nice Kenyan Hills G-Dawg

Good to hear from you Gerard! That is excellent pace off so little training.

Lucky escape Leslie! I wear a Provis gillet so theres no way that I'd be missed!

6m tempo last night. Had to go home first to speak to the builder so couldn't run my usual route. Ended up running up and down a 0.7m stretch of road which was downhill/tailwind then uphill/headwind. Character building! Legs were still a bit heavy from Saturday so came out around 7mm but with my HR a lot lower then tempo effort. 4m and a swim planned for tonight
  • TR -  it's very likely only going to be the Alphafly or any modified version of the Vaporfly with a much more stacked sole; so shouldn't effect any shoes currently available to the public.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD I've had a serious word, told the hip to stop its tricks. I'd like to have a long overdue blast at parkrun this week. Hopefully it should behave on the shorter distance.
  • Better attempt on that treadmill effort today; not exactly setting the world on fire but at least 5k @ 19:30 with 8min mile w/up and cooldowns felt controlled rather than impossible like yesterday.

A bit more confident I'll be able to hold that for 10k Sunday now. Will do 5/6 this evening easy and intervals tomorrow I think.

Hope the hip holds up OO , your parkrun times are always impressive.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yes i guess they will ban the pairs that havnt made general production yet, the ladies WR was set in mofified Next %.

Gerard -  i did 81 min a few weeks after Abo, so im chasing sub 80 now, although trying to do it in vlm build up races will be tough.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Seems as though everything is starting to warm up now.
    I had another good week last week and hit 68 miles,which means the last 2 have been my 2 highest ever.
    I have a half this week which I'm planning on running at marathon effort and seeing where it comes out.
    Nicko-Have you had the Boston email about the events? I wont be around on the Monday pm so if you are with anyone and they want a ticket let me know and you can have mine,rather than paying $30.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Which half are you doing Ian?

A good pace on the 5K test nicko, you'll be flying on Sunday.

A good tempo session all the same Stevie.  Will be interesting to see how you get on with the increased mileage.

Good to hear you're enjoying your running Gerard - it's good to be schedule free and going with the flow!  I have London and Berlin as my target races for 2020.  It would be nice to get a few short distance PBs as well.

A good sharpener there DT - looking good for Sunday.  It would be nice if we had the Bodytrax at my gym (Nuffield Health)!

Good recovery miles Gul.  I'll keep the 10k tempo runs going for the initial 11 weeks of the schedule apart from the two recovery weeks.  These are key sessions for me.  After week 11, the tune-up races and MP runs take over.

14 miles late afternoon in pleasant sunny conditions.  Feeling a lot more enthusiastic than last week but the pace was about the same, so 7:57.  The left quad was a bit sore from Monday's S&C work, so happy just to keep it relaxed and bag the miles without aggravating anything.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I didn't realise you were also doing Berlin, SBD. I booked my flights this week which didn't prove easy as I didn't want silly flight times or to travel far. So I really wanted to fly from Brum but the only direct provider (Flybe) is in all sorts of trouble so didn't want some last minute collapse. Ended booking up with Lufthansa. Flight times both ways are good, I just have to change in Frankfurt. Decided to book in a hold bag as well so that I don't have to compromise on gels, toiletries and fluids of choice.

I am surprised Nuffield don't have a Bodytrax or similar. It's a useful little tool to monitor things.

Nice MLR there.

Some good mileage there Ian, what with there being lots of time to go.

Fingers crossed for Sunday, Nicko. The weather is still set perfect.

well done on the tempo, Stevie.

OO, hope the hip is feeling better today.

sounds like you are picking things back up nicely, Gerard.

I note that the new 10k road pb was set in some adidas shoes, so perhaps the nikes aren't all that!!

Easy 7m yesterday came out 7.58 for 137bpm which is the lowest hr I have held over a reasonable distance for sub 8mm. Definitely feeling aerobically strong. Followed up with bodypump last night. Very easy 5 planned over lunch then a sports massage tonight.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    DT - nice treadmill session and hr on your easy run sounds promising. Thanks for the tip on flipbelt size.
    GM - good to hear from you. I think my ego will ensure that I race the HM flat out. So sub 85 would be excellent😉
    Stevie - good tempo run.
    OO - enjoy parkrun. I did think about having a blast myself but saw all the water at the park this morning and it's put me off as I'm not keen on the alternative route.
    Nicko - sounds more promising on the treadmill.
    Ian - great couple of weeks.
    SBD - good MLR. I think next week has both LT and MP runs so could be a tough one.
    Today was supposed to be a 14 miler but clocked up an extra mile waiting for Morrisons to open (Tesco was out of stock). Legs a bit tired from Tuesday's long run, but managed 15 and averaged 8:26/m. Oh and included some strides which appear to be de rigueur.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo that does sound interesting and an area with many potential uses. I went to Chernobyl a few weeks ago and found people doing something similar, using geiger counters to map radiation hotspots - with obvious implications for transport, habitation and workflow management. 

DT sounds like a good plan, though Frankfurt airport is really huge and can be very confusing - hope you have a decent gap between flights.

No running here but plenty of walking, going to get back on the bike soon and off to hospital for the start of physio next week.

Good running by you lot, despite not being involved in spring mara build up for the first time in years it's a treat to read about others' progress.

Just seen the GB elite names for London, its gonna be quite a fight for Tokyo places. what's the betting they all wear Nike...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Poacher, I have 70 mins between flights and I assume that i'll be cleared for the full journey from Brum to Berlin so just stay in departures, or even it's the same flight? As otherwise my case will need to come off etc.

Now i'm stressed about it!! In any event key running kit will be coming in my rucksack and not leaving my side.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Didn't mean to stress you...
    There's a potential schoolboy error in Frankfurt in that it's easy to exit the secure area by accident while changing terminals or gates, and it can mean a delay getting back in. Often this can be avoided by using a short but poorly-signposted foot tunnel between two corridors. 70 minutes should be fine however.  Keeping key kit esp. shoes with you at all times is spot on, everything else can be replaced at the expo. You will like Berlin and as you know it's a very fast course if the weather gods play ball.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    It's the 4 Villages half,nice rural race by us,usually a good vibe to it,haven't done it for a couple of years so my CB is only 1:45.
    If I rememebr right if a bit undulating until 7,then mainly uphill for 3 miles then 2 long downhill miles before a flat last mile so if you can get to 11 miles in a good place then you are at for a nice run.

• Ian - thanks, I hadn't really registered that there were things I need to sign up for - thanks for the ticket offer will let you know.

Did another 6 miles last night at easy pace, probably 8 tonight including 6 x 1K club session which I will use to lock in 10k race pace. Weather for Sunday looking banging.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Hope you enjoyed the club intervals nicko.

You should be good for a course best at least Ian.

Glad I'm not flying via Frankfurt.  Not got round to booking the flights yet DT but as Heathrow is less than hours drive, we'll fly direct Heathrow to Berlin.

Hope the physio can get you back running Poacher.

Good MLR Gul - I had been tempted to add on an extra mile yesterday but decided to leave the mid-week 15 until next week.  And good work on the strides!

Good work on the aerobic fitness DT - coming together nicely for Sunday.

7 recovery miles late afternoon with ten sets of 100m strides.  Managed to slightly strain the left quad on Monday during the S&C session but today's post run sports massage has hopefully sorted that.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Poacher, thanks for the intel. I am hoping it is something Lufthansa have as a daily occurrence so have a slick process.

SBD- I looked at various regional airports and only Bristol had decent flight times but that's still a 90 minute drive for me at the flights were about £250. I was keen to fly from Brum as I can hop on a local train and with a quick train at New st, can be at the airport in 45 mins and not pay £50 in airport parking.

A few easy miles lunchtime with strides planned. Lower legs are a bit sore from last nights massage.

• Poacher - good luck with the physio.
    Ian - doesn't sound like the fastest of courses but an enjoyable one. Good luck.
    Nicko - all the best for Sunday.
    SBD - yes, next week is stacked. Hope the quad is okay.
    DT - have a good lunch time run .
    6 recovery miles this morning plus a haircut.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    The gels and toiletries thing made me laugh, DT. When we did Berlin, my mate unpacked all of his gels and toiletries into several of the clear bags at security, not realising that isn't how it works! I was in fits of laughter as I watched his panicked face hand over his 'contraband'. He had to surrender some stuff and buy replacements in Berlin.

Work commitments meant I couldn't get out for my Tuesday 10 miler, so did it last night. Didn't look at the watch, just ran in the rain again and made sure I stayed steady and didn't attack it. Came out at 7.32 pace which I'm really pleased with. HR average was 140, so nice and easy. Only week 2 of the campaign and the foundations are building nicely.

Wore calf guards to ensure the injury was kept at bay, all seems fine. No proper speed work for a couple of weeks yet, so just strength stuff for now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

g-dawg, I suspect a lot of runners get caught out by that. They will have it in their head it's for toiletries only then suddenly realise they have 10 gels to get through as well. It only cost £15 each way for the bag and I imagine buying the gels out there would set me back that much, plus my glide gel etc.

Nice work on the 10, though 10 at 7.32 would leaving me a little tired in the midst of a full training week. I think it's ok now if you are doing no other fast work but as things ramp up you might want to slow that down to balance the load.

• I remember on the way out to Paris Marathon my mate getting enraged at losing his Marmite to security :-) I think I got all my gels through - they are under 100ml so surely that's OK?

9 miles last night with 5 x 1K club session. Was trying to go at 3:50/K but pacing was all over (3:35, 3:40, 3:45, 3:40, 3:52 I think) - not sure what I'll do Sunday - maybe just try and keep DT in sight for the first mile and go from there. Volunteering at Parkrun for a some karma tomorrow
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, yes the gels are under 100ml, but you still only get one small bag to squeeze them all into as well as core toiletries.

See you Sunday, looking forward to it now. Not raced in perfect conditions for god knows how long.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Correct on the gels getting through OK. My mate had to ditch toothpaste and other stuff, I think his after shave was also a casualty! The one bag only thing really stuffed him. :smiley:

Also correct on the pace front, DT. I was mindful of that last night. However, I will be using those 10 and 12 milers as mile interval sessions in a few weeks. They've worked well for me previously. Just need to make sure other runs are easier either side.

5 mile recovery planned for lunchtime...
  • That's decent pace for a 10 G-Dawg, like DT I think that would wreck me! 
    Gul - You are certainly piling the miles in, don't overdo it too early though
    Good to hear from you Poacher, hope physio goes well.
    Hope the quad is ok SBD.

Good luck to DT & Nicko on Sunday! I flew from London City for Berlin last year as I didn't want a changover and the flight times were useless from Birmingham for direct flights. Managed to get all my gels & toiletries in my hand luggage.

5m easy last night and then 8 x k to do this afternoon. Will do 15m on Sunday which will end a pretty decent week of around 40m. Good foundations to build from!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Hope you enjoyed the intervals Stevie.  The quad is just about recovered thanks - Tuesday's tempo and Wednesday's MLR probably didn't help!

Looking good for DT and nicko on Sunday.  Are the magic shoes making an appearance?

Must get round to booking those Berlin flights before the prices get too high.  I'm taking my two School age sons with me - just need to decide which days before/after the weekend they're going to be sick on!

A good 10 miler G-D.

I'm sure a good haircut is worth as much as a pair of the magic shoes Gul!

Progressive Friday for me, so 12.7 miles with the pace decreasing from 8:19 (HR of 128) down to 6:10 (HR of 171) at intervals of 2K, an average of 7:24 for the run.  It felt good to be able to move through the gears in a controlled way.

• GD - good steady 10 miler.
    nicko - still a decent interval session. Hope you can slipstream behind DT on Sunday!
    DT - hope the forecast is holding up :)
    Stevie - good couple of sessions lined up to finish the week.
    SBD - cracking progressive run. A haircut is a lot cheaper than a pair of magic shoes too ;)
    12 easy miles this morning, plus 12 x 100m strides, to bring me up to 71 for the week. Think I'll stick there and take a rest tomorrow. Will be glad of it looking at next week's sessions (10/4@LT,15,13 & 18/10@MP!)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    GUL that's a proper big week next week you won't need to be adding any extra in there !!!!!!!
    SBD I do like a nice progression run , cracking pace.

Was for the parkrun this morn so took it easy Thursday and off fri night but its lethal with ice here , went out to check and feet just slid down the drive while standing still  and took quite a while to just get back to the house the couple of metres lol  Parkrun is cancelled ! Should warmup later though s may get something done.
  • SBD - the "semi-magic" shoes will make an appearance - I'll use the 4% and leave the next% for my A races of half Mara and above.

Great progression run there, and massive mileage Gul

Parkrun was cancelled this morning so no volunteering karma, just a slow 5 on the slippery roads. 45ish for the week so far, hope I still have some legs left for tomorroe