Sub 3

Comments

• As Joe says good to read decent reports from Brass Monkey. Well done to CW, LMH and Wardi. 

Excellent progress too from TR and further evidence of consistency paying early dividends. 

My new schedule has Wednesday's as a far easier run than the P&D 15 miler. I think the most it goes up to is 80 minutes. Cant say I'm unhappy about this. Hated those midweek long runs. 

I read tonight that the world athletics working group met today to determine if anything should be done about the Nike shoes. Verdict at the end of the month. 
  • I saw that about the Nike shoes SJ.  I got the impression they were mainly concerned with the even more extreme prototype Alphafly variations that have been breaking world records last year.  Interesting to see what happens, but I can't see them banning the 4% or Next%, they're so widespread through amateur running at all levels that it would be impossible to police it outside of elite races.
  • I was away on a work trip for 3 days, now back in the office.

LMH -- oops sorry about the misinformation re your BM category ranking, but lovely to see you coming through it both strongly and unscathed.

Forgot to congratulate you here on your performance, Wardi! Almost went to the House of the Trembling Madness on the Sat by the way, a venue full of splendid charm. And thanks for digging up that photo! (I haven't been through the official collection yet.)

I'm sporting my home-hacked Nike 4%s there in that photo -- might not be recognised by a future adjudicator with the heel 'tails' missing!

• Good read through again from this part time lurker - not quite a two thread (or more) man like TR and Joe ;)

Clever CW!  - Running at the Southerns again? Remember speaking to you before the start one year.

SJ - Interesting comments about the marathon plan. I often think the plans are over complicated. In the end the long run (usually Sunday) is the most important run - the rest of the time, just train hard, especially those speed sessions. Before Berlin, my last three weekends were two masters track finals then road relays. So it was just longer Sunday runs basically. Its worked for many marathon runners before....

• runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks TR, good to know re the half marathon pace miles that I'm not the only one that thinks it's a struggle. In previous campaigns I think it would be fine because I've come off more of a speed base but this time I've just been thinking aerobic. Thanks as well for mentioning the marathon talk podcast. I've been chewing through those on my journeys around the country and out for my runs.

A confidence boosting run today (before the rains came) of 9 miles with late 2 miles at around TMP (6:35 and 6:33). The idea was just to see if I could handle the more difficult run (on paper) of the following training weeks. No issues with the knees which gives me the feeling I can work through the injury (although tomorrow is another day).

The one unknown is that I'm running the box hill fell race on Saturday. It's my 6th/7th year of running it in a row. I punch well below my weight relative to running on the road but that might be because I have no hills to train on and it's just generally a different beast. I have at least given it my all in past years, although that has generally given me enough DOMS to keep me out of training for around a week. This year I have to take it pretty much as easy as possible, try to enjoy the feeling of being off road and hoping I feel fresh enough by Tuesday to get going with the P&D. 

All being well with the injury I'm looking forward to a bigger volume and more consistent campaign. 
  • Excellent Wardi - will look out for you. We're getting the train up tonight, and staying close to the racecourse so we'll just run over I think. Katie is back running thankfully, trying to be patient and take it slowly (but did inadvertently 'win' Nonsuch parkrun last weekend  :D
  • SC2 -- I'm giving the Southerns a miss this year. Good luck though!

My DOMS seemed to get a second wind yesterday, so day off today -- some kind of long but not too taxing run at the weekend. Have a good one, all.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    JoeB.. excellent, I will see you both there.  Just FYI the finish is on the grandstand side, the start is on the opposite side of the course (you can access the start via Cherry Lane if you're staying on that side).  I normally dump my fleece near the finish and jog round to the start - anti-clockwise it's about 1k so a nice warm up.  Alternatively the volunteers bring a 'cloakroom' basket to the start where you can cast off unwanted clothing, they then take it back to the finish area.  Great to hear Katie is racing again. :)

2 easy runs for me today, I will add a few miles onto Park run tomorrow as the sun is forecast to shine.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Belated congrats to CW, looks like a cracking weekend and a speedy sub 80 run, great for morale. 
    LMH - Great to see you had a decent run too, given the knee. 
    Joe, good to hear Katies back running - not bad a PR win. 
    Just seem to running 10m 7.30 mm sessions this week, just the way its turned out with the weather/ work/life.  With the sun returning hopefully a faster 10m tomorrow and then the first LSR for the Spring marathons. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Gang,

Well done to all those at Brass Monkey. Good running to all racers this weekend.

Good news Run Joe - go steady at the weekend

Been a busy couple of weeks but managed to keep to the schedule and starting to feel almost fluent with the quicker stuff - took to the track for anything HMP or faster to allow me to dial in to pace better. 

Edit - had a laugh today - entered London through championship and got to the end and pressed submit and it said Id incorrectly filled out a section - looked for flag and it was my birthday  so I reentered it and it sent up a message - 'please check your birthdate - this would make you 50 on race day'.. Cheeky buggers...
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Menn - "almost fluent" sounds a good place to be in darkest Jan. Ha about the championship place, V50 is the new 30. 
    Hope the York PR was fun. 
    Did 5 miles slow with the dog before doing a decent feeling 5 mile tempo session ranging from 6.21 to 6.34. A bit chilly when running out of the sun but really good in it. Getting a bit of gip from my abductors, felt really tight throughout the run. My hernia op cannot come soon enough though looks like the likely date has drifted off to March due to winter demands and greater medical priorities.
    LSR tomorrow, prob aim for 20 in 2.45 ish. Think I might treat myself to the local trail and a chunk of the SWCP. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Joe - dont go hurting yrself.

SJ - agreed the 15s can be a chore, i was out there weds, but saw an owl so it made my day.

OO - first 20 here today.

Menn - they probably dont expect 50yr olds to run that fast. Good going on the pacey running, i struggle to even hit hmp.

First 20 bagged today (in a p and d 20% and 10% stylie), 82m for the week.
  • X post TR
    Cracking mileage and always good to kick off with the first LSR. How did it go? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like your op is required, but march would scupper vlm, mine has eased off but i noticed it today.....ive done an 18 and 17 inc 10mp so far, but first 20 today. Started with 5m av 7.43 (which is approx mp+20%), 10 more av 7.30, then 5 av 7.06 (which is approx mp+10%), tough last 5m, but pete pf would be pleased. Onwards and upwards.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    lol Menn, don't they know the leading M50's are always close to 2:30?  Great to hear your pace is making good progress.
    Bravo TR, that's a fine progressive 20 miler.  Beer & curry on the menu as a due reward?
    OO.. I guess you will feel a hernia a bit more in the colder temps?  Nice 10m done and good work in the pacier section.
    Even in a sea of 718 brightly clad Park runners the trademark flat cap of Joe Blogs could be picked out like a beacon of light.  Great to see you again young fella and good to have a natter on the extra lap warm down.
    21:33 for me which was better than expected after a heavy week.  The section of the course between 1-2k & 3-4k was a bit 'Bambi on ice' in parts so traction was tricky.  13.4m for the day with add-ons  
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cheers TR, will copy that tomorrow. 
    If the op is in March will hopefully still be able to run London but also running Geneva marathon 2 weeks later so probably target that. I seem to be OK with 2 marathons in short succession as ran Paris & London 2 weeks apart in 2019 and ran London quicker. 
    Wardi - That's a good sized PR (seems the largest is Bushy Park with 1700+) and sounds a good morning out, your on great form. Hope the world record holder and flap cap did himself proud. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Wardi - wet lanes and paths icing over is going to cause trouble this week, esp in the dark.......defo on the beers, ive had a couple of dry january days already, maybe on the curry.

OO - a progressive 20 as the first one was a shock, but next week its 20 inc mp, so its good ive done it......surely you'll have to stop running for a while after the op though, which would put vlm at risk?
  • TR - Yes the op makes it a known unknown. All I can do is get a good level of fitness pre-op,  then 2 weeks of post op walking and then back to it. So not a classic build-up but hopefully keep the cardio fitness. So at the mo still aiming to run a decent VLM if not will treat as a long run for Geneva. 
  • Great spot TR. I've lived in a few places now where I can/could hear an owl almost every night and I don't think I've ever been close to seeing one!

Joe - Good news on Katie. Nonsuch is not a small parkrun so that's a great result. Promising for when she's back to full fitness.
    Menn - I'd take it as a compliment. I think you're on a hiding to nothing these days trying to build in automatic checks to that process. 
    OO - That sounds like a quick potential recovery. I'm sure you can make the best of it.

Had a really enjoyable run out yesterday. I took the first couple of miles easy and then had a bit of a go at it over the rest. It was a beautiful morning, close to perfect conditions and I managed a PB in terms of time and placings. All of that with what I felt was a fair bit more in the tank. Bit achy today but 12.5km and 2000ft of ascent were always going to be a bit of a shock. Heading out for a few hours walking this afternoon which should hopefully help the legs recover.
  • Menn - that just means that OO, CW ane me are going to be one place lower in M50 at VLM!

Nice run at Box Hill RJR - that one sells out very quickly these days so getting a place is an achievement in itself, let alone a PB!

No long run for me this weekend, I've had a bit of a lighter week after feeling a little niggly after a lot of miles last week, so obviously I entered a race instead!  To be fair, I had a prize from a previous race which was free entry to any other of their events, so I picked the Crystal Palace HM - 4 and a bit laps of the park there, including a lot more up and down than I'd normally go for, but it was always going to be a fast training run rather than a target race.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, I won!  80:40 finish time which tells its own story about the course, and for most of it it was just me, the lead bike and later on loads of runners to lap.  A lovely day for it, if a bit cold.

Best bit though was just after the finish, when a guy who'd just finished the 5k with his young son came up, insisted on me having my photo taken with them and told me what an inspiration I was!  Never happened to me before, and may never again, but it was quite humbling to know that in what is quite often a selfish hobby others can be motivated by seeing what we do.  Lovely moment that.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - depends how long it takes to get back to it after the 2 wks i guess.

Joe - i often hear them, but dont get to see them.

CD - excellent stuff. Winner and hero !

Big week this week,  2 x mlr, LT run and  long run inc mp. Although ice will probably scupper the LT run.
  • Congratulations CD!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Top Poding CD! Ive never had the privilege of running behind the lead bike.

OO -hope it drops right for you.

TR - i dont remember there being a week like that in my edition - or I moved it around. 

A bumper week here which had  2 track sessions and a 9 with 6 at MP around 5.45ish effort yesterday finished off with 17 at under 7mm today. Still struggling with the paces on the road a bit.

Its all well and good banging out the miles but I really need to find time for a bit of S&C.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done CD, and a lovely inspirational anecdote!

Nothing exciting here: 55 miles last week and a cut back of 45 this.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Great stuff CD, no one can take a win away from you!  I've taken a few pics for runners pre & post race before but never been asked to appear in one!  Did the young lad ask for an autograph too?   :)
    Joe.. nicely done yesterday, a double PB of sorts can't be sniffed at.
    Menn.. always good to get a strong week in the bag.  How often do you do the S&C exercises?
    TR.. on my route today a girl had apparently come off her bike and broken a hip due to ice on the country lane.  Due care needed as you say.
    LMH.. are you able to run daily ATM?
    Wall to wall sunshine and blue skies were too tempting today so got out for another 10m, 63m for the week. 
  • Congrats on the win CD and sounds like a great moment there at the end. You at the Southern XC this Sat?

Menn - the cheek of it re; London! Sounds like you've had a solid week though.

Lovely to catch up with Wardi on Saturday in York. As mentioned, we shared a good natter on a cool down lap - top bloke.

I had a pretty underwhelming run myself, after a 17:42 on NYD, I struggled round to an 18:02 and just really couldn't get into top gear. First 3 immediately ran off into the distance and I was on my own until 4th passed me with 500m to go so it was a bit of a solo effort.

Followed it up with 90 mins easy along the river on Sunday, after successfully sacking off dry Jan the night before over a nice curry.

Unfortunately, weekend soured with Katie suspecting her foot might be broken again - potential for doing too much too soon, but it's been really hard as progress has been good and there are no warning signs until suddenly it just goes.
  • Congrats again CD, always nice to bag a win (or so I distantly remember...)

23M LSR on Sat and a super-ploddy 7M to make 30M for the weekend for me. It was the first time I'd donned my HRM strap since Brass Monkey, and found a layer of silt stuck to the underside of it -- must have got through as a fine suspension in water, through my race vest, last week! The same silt got under my watch strap, and made my shorts chafe unusually. Kicked up by the runners in front of me I guess...
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Fantastic run and win CD - a nice moment with the kid and the photo. 
    Sounds like a solid weekend Menn. 
    RJR -
    Congrats, can't beat a PB.  
    Joe - Hope Katies' foot not as feared.  18.02 PR not be sniffed at.  
    CW - Nice LSR. 
    Just had a call from the hospital, opportunity to have the hernia op this Wednesday, shame as a bit too soon to rearrange work/ home, but the op looks like its coming soon!   Went scenic for a my LSR y'day, trail and coast path as a fantastic morning, sunny, clear, chilly, icy. So 17m bagged for a 70m week. 
  • At the minute Wardi.

Hope Katie hasn't broken her foot again Joe.

A shame you couldn't make the cancellation appointment OuchOuch.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope you can stay on the road then LMH, fingers crossed.
    JoeB.. you may recall I said I'd spotted the York Parkrun course record holder (14:37) in the finish area.  I looked up his time and it turns out he was one place behind me!  I can only assume that he was either pacing someone or out for a pleasant bimble. :|   BTW sensible decision abandoning dry January, such restraint is barred here in Yorkshire anyway.  :)   Best wishes to Katie, hope it's just a niggle/reaction.
    OO.. shame about missing the short notice appointment, hope you can get it sorted soonest.  A good week of miles for you last week so you seem to be managing the hernia reasonably well.  
    Charlie.. a trademark long run nicely done, sorry to hear about the watch/HRM strap cleaning duties though.
    After 3 heavyish days I stuck to a steady 5.2m today.  Blue sky & sun yet again.