Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Bad luck Nicko, ours went ahead in spite of ice. 19:28 was a decent result but worse than I hoped for.
    Good luck 10k guys, hope the conditions are good for you.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - yes big week coming up, dont worry about pushing the pace on the mlrs (mine are all 8.XX anyway) with the LT and MP run in tbe week too, esp if you are doing all of it mon - fri.

SBD - thats some sharp running at the end of that run.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Nicko good to get a run in at all today.
    0054 not bad for ice , going by our drive nobody would have got up the hill at Parkrun and if they did they would have needed a sledge to get back down lol.

Ice has mostly cleared now so I tried some mile reps and there is a nice long strip along the local greenway just made for the job as there is only 1k along the dual carriagway so would mean turning mid rep.

Set out way too hard on the first one without really noticing as I ignored the watch and was more rested than usual but by 3/4 mile in I knew Id overcooked it and it was a long drag to the line slowing a lot ! Mile 1 is slightly downhill so uphill for no 2 felt like really hard work after that and was way slower.

Miles were 6:11 , 6: 23 and 6 20  with 2 mins rest between . I'm probably just back to where I was in end Nov at 20 min 5k again  and need some shorter reps added in to try and wring out some more speed ! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'll dig mine out i think. After all i cant just wear them for first time in london. This race is set up so car park is right by start so i can wear them without adding unnecessary wu and cd miles. 

Glad it's a midday start tomorrow. It'll provide a good thaw opportunity. 

Nice bit of progression running, SBD.

Solid week, Gul. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    37.33 on garmin today so whatever the official result comes out as, a massive pb after 27 months of it being 38.18.

Have to drive home now so more details later. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Massive jump in time,well done.
    I decided to race todays half instead,came in at 1:24:21 so 18secs behind PB but on a far harder course,miles 7-10 were pretty tough going but I think I started too slow as finished a lot stronger than I'd have liked,with 2xsub 6 miles and and the last 0.2 at 5.27 pace,but after 240 miles in the last 4 weeks I'm very happy with that.
  • Just about kept speedy DT in sight, on his heels until about 4k then he was away. 38:10 approx for me so still very happy with that; 10K and 5K PBs in the same race. Felt strong CV wise but tired legs from this week, a great race and loads of PBs from clubmates all running too.

Ian - that's a great results in the half, looking very good for Boston

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    DT brilliant racing and a nice shiny new PB.
    Ian your in great shape , 2 sub 6 miles suggests it was a tough course with big hills.
    Nicko great racing and another shiny PB for you well done 

Long run this morn had 2 wait a few hrs till midday for the ice to lift then 14 miles consisting of 9 easy , then 3 steady at 7:30 m/mile then 1 at max (6:34) and 1 easy to finish. Felt so much easier than last weeks 12 despite being the day after a session like last week , more rest days this week rather than any increase in fitness I think !

44 mile for the week 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    What a set of results then. Well done folks. The three musketeers!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    That's a huge PB DT - well done.

Great racing and PBs nicko.  What was your previous 10K pb?

Excellent time for the HM Ian - good to finish strong and shows you can go faster.  And good preparation for Boston.

Good long run Leslie with a nice turn of speed at the end.

There was still a bit of ice of the cycle trail mid-afternoon but conditions with blue skies and sunshine were very pleasant.  A bit sluggish for the first ten miles (8:00 to 7:45), but managed to pick up the pace over the second half with the last five miles at 7:02 and an average of 7:40 for the 20 miles.

Gives me 77 miles for the week.  A recovery week would be nice but another big week to complete first! 
  • SBD - previous official best was 39:51 at the same race last year; although I ran sub 39 during October's HM - just like now my best official 5K is slower than the first 5K of today. Nice 20 miler, you are stacking them up.

Kudos again to DT for a great race and an easy man to pick out ahead of me with his shiny shoes!

Leslie - great long run with a strong speedy mile in there.

With 3 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown today gives me 55 for the week - need to put in a proper high teens LSR next weekend and target an early Feb Half Marathon tempo.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Leslie-Very good run again,I wouldnt say it's just because of the rest days,your fitness must be coking along well now.
    SBD-Another excellent 20,how many and how often do you do them?
    Nicko-That's a massive jump,need to get that 5k smashed at some point.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great racing guys, all matching the potential you have shown and benefiting from solid training. Good call to race Ian, I think you always wonder what might have been when you hold back to mara pace.
    I held out for 20 this morning. The pace was.pathetic but I was nursing my hip round to get time on feet. 62 for the week + 7km swimming. More of the same next week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done on the pbs, guys!

A steady 15 to round off a 45 mile recovery week for me.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Ian, Nicko, DT, fantastic set of times! 1.24 after such high volume training is brilliant, Ian.
    Knew you'd smash it DT. Skills!

Bagging a shorter distance PB in a bigger distance race is always good fun, Nicko. My 10k and 10 mile PBs were both set in the Surrey half last year. They don't count, of course, so I'll have to do them properly.

Trails were too swamped and icy at the weekend, so hit the roads. 16 very slow miles on Saturday to just bag the distance and a 4 mile recovery yesterday. Body didn't like four training days in a row in only week 2 of the campaign but work and life does that to a training schedule sometimes. 

Rest day today. Really looking forward to the first sign of training effect in some of the runs soon. All feels like hard work at the moment.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Very well done, Ian, particularly given the mileage before it. Nicko, thanks and kudos to your result off no real taper and no great training.

Well done on the 20, oo. Need to watch that hip. Every time i've had an injury it's been hip related.

A quick report on yesterdays event;

So the concept is a no frills fast race. It was £10 to enter and takes place almost under the Severn Bridge (land side of course). I arrived good and early as I didn't quite know the set up and my satnav told lies about the journey time. The set up is great in that you have hq, parking and the start and finish within 20m of each other. This gave me a good opportunity to have a decent wu. As I was doing some strides, Nicko appeared. He was so well covered up and the sun glaring in his face I didn't recognise him and thought he was someone called Rich. Odd really as I only know one person called Rich and he isn't a runner so wouldn't have been there!

So final toilet then to the start line. Remembering that this field was almost exclusively sub 40 runners I positioned myself about midway, banking on the fact that a big portion will be low 38s-40. No countdown, just a whistle and we were off.

After Telford, I resolved to just go at this hard and not panic if I see paces beginning with a 5. The filed thinned out pretty quickly (there were only about 200 runners in total) and I was quickly in my stride.

The course is a 2 lap course with each lap being an out and back so you can essentially break it down into 4 chunks of 1.5m plus the separate start and end straight. There was nothing spectacular to report for the race itself, I spent the time suspicious as to what was going on and wondering when it might go tits up. By 4m I had about 40s in the bank and felt reasonable so knew that even a blow up at that point would not lose me the pb.

My splits were almost perfectly regressive but reasonably consistent at 5.56, 5.58, 5.59. 6.00, 6.06, 6.07 and 6.02 pace for the scraps giving me 37.33 on the garmin. Official results aren't out yet though. One point of interest for me was that I went through the 5m mark in 29.54 which is not only over a minute pb but also sub 30 which is one of those aspirational times I've wanted to break, sort of like sub 3 mara (albeit i'm less bothered by it) so I need to find an appropriate race now for that.

• Leslie - Great mile reps then even better following it up with the long run!
    Excellent PB's by Nicko & DT, hope you both had a celebratory drink!
    Huge week SBD! That's a quick average for 20m
    Great half Ian.

Fridays 8 x 1k went really well. Aiming for 10k pace so wanted 3.45 per rep, really happy for it to come out as
    3.40/3.45/3.46/3.46/3.45/3.46/3.40/3.42. Followed that up with 15m yesterday at 7.55 average, one of those runs where you feel like you could go forever. Feel like the fitness is coming back to me. As a present for my birthday last year I was brought V02 Max & Lactate threshold testing so getting that done on Wednesday. Looking forward to the results
  • OO - solid parkrun and tough long run to round-off a good week.
    Leslie - good effort in those mile reps. The speed will increase, so keep plugging away.
    DT - excellent PB and well deserved 😊
    Ian - that's a great HM given all those miles. Should give you confidence.
    Nicko - congrats on the PB😀
    SBD - another 20 miler and high mileage week notched up.
    Jools - nice recovery week.
    GD - I'm sure the training will pay off soon.
    Stevie - great reps. Interesting to see how you get on with the tests.
    10 miles with 4 @ LT this morning. Remembered to do some strides in the warm-up. Tempo miles fairly consistent and averaged 6:28/m which is more like it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks, 37.36 for me. That'll do me. I was going to suggest it might just be easier for you to become a Rich, so well anticipated.

So the question now is where does this take my half mara ambitions. On the McMillan calculator my half has always been well ahead of my 10k anyway so no help there. I feel like 1.21.xx shouldn't be out of the question as that's 6.15 pace.

Good session to kick the week off, Gul and a decent tempo pace.

• Great report DT, your 10k time isn't far off mine and my half PB is 1.20.06 at Kenilworth so 1.21 should be well within your reach

G-Dawg - I felt like that a few weeks ago then it suddenly clicks and you feel loads better. Are you doing Surrey Half this year?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am conscious though that your 10k pb and half pb's came at very different stages of the cycle. I think 6.15mm or just below is  within me.

Mile 5 was 6.02 and not 6.06 as above.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Me trying to keep up with DT:

Untitled
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Stevie, yep I'll be doing the Surrey Half. Not sure I'll be in any decent condition to race it judging by how I feel right now, but we'll see. Course changes should see it go a bit faster this year. I'd love to beat 1.25 (current PB) on there as that will give me a sub-3 chance in London.

Are we having a slam-down!?  :D

Great photo, Nicko. Plenty of work going on there!
  • Sounds like we are G-Dawg! Plenty of time for you to feel fit for the race, we've still got 7 weeks! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-For 10k I'd say they are great splits,shows you went just on the edge of your limit.
    Usual 8 mile loop after work,felt ok considering yesterdays effort.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Cracking times being recorded, and a big PB this early in the year bodes well. The fast people here are putting to shame those of of us who blame physical decrepitude for everything (naming no names OO ;).

First time since 05 that I have not been planning for London. Very strange but one has to move on. Still a bit envious of those going to Berlin.

Keep it up, always good to read about others' endeavours.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you Poacher. I thought of you when I heard Coastal run entries open on Thursday 😉
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Good post-race miles Ian.  I'll probably do another 6 20+ mile runs including two 22 milers and at least one 24 miler.  So more or less every weekend other than the recovery weeks and the MP run weeks.

Typical - I decide to give Surrey HM a miss this year (in favor of Bath) and they make the course faster!

Looking very focused nicko and DT.  I'm assuming you'd recommend future versions of the race as PB target races?

Excellent report time DT.  How was the heart rate over those splits?  I'm feeling very slow now with only a 37:50 10K time to my name!

Good LT session Gul - good to see the speed has come back.

A good set of 1K reps followed by the 15 miler Stevie.  Is the test at Bucks New University (I live just outside High Wycombe)?  And I was worried my 20 miler was a bit slow!

That's a big PB nicko - you need to race over the shorter distances more often.  What HMs are you doing?

Good to get the 20 miler done OO and good mileage for the week.

Hope you can get back running soon Poacher - it must be tough not to be training for London.  Are you able to cycle?

6 recovery miles with some S&C late afternoon.  I've been feeling very unfit over the last 2 months but there are signs of some returning fitness.  So resting HR of 41 today and the HR on the recovery run was 130-135 - both positive signs the recent training is starting to have an effect.  Also struck up the courage to weigh myself - so 78kg, 8Kg over Abingdon weight.  Not sure how that happened but need to start shifting a bit of the non essential ballast!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO that would be nice - I will give you a shout as you leg it past our place.

SBD none of that ballast talk please, you are running like a good'un, very impressive.