Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Wheatism - my muscle memory has still to kick in. Its currently at the 'wandered into the kitchen but forgot why it went there' stage 😊
    Looks like we've got good running weather for the next week - cold but dry. That'll do me 😁
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone coming back from injuries. Nothing worse than a prolonged injury period. Do what you can, stay healthy, and enjoy the day in Paris. It’s a great event just to take in the sights and sounds and forgot about the clock.

Orbutt you’re lucky to escape the ice this weekend. My LSR on Saturday was as much an exercise in staying upright due to ice, as it was about getting the miles done.
  • <div>NatMac ✭
    </div><div><div>Hello everyone, I'm Natalie from New Zealand - and may I say that this is exactly the group I've been looking for. Paris will be my first marathon, I'm training hard - and am grasping every little shred of news, information and advice that I can find. I can't wait - excited doesn't even begin to describe it!</div></div>
  • Apologies for the code above - no idea how that crept in.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi NatMac and welcome to the forum.
    You've picked a great location for your first marathon - Paris was my first too.
    First and most importantly.  Have you sorted your medical certificate. Paris insists on it and you can't run without one. Which would be a shame given the distance you're travelling.
    Is this going to be part of a holiday or is the marathon your sole reason for travelling?
    Feel free to ask any questions, as I'm sure we can answer most of them.
    Aside from Brexit - no one has the answer to that one 😉
    Let us know your pen (or the target finish time that you used when registering) and I'll add you to the runners list.

• NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Hello NatMac - nice to see a fresh face in here! You've definitely hit the jackpot for questions and answers on all things Paris Marathon related. It was also my first marathon a few years ago, and finding this forum was amazingly lucky for me!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    NatMac - Welcome to the thread!
    You've picked a great event for your first marathon. Great city, fantastic event and a fantastic group of people here to meet up with over the race weekend should you wish. You must be up there as furthest travelled for your first marathon!
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi Nat, welcome.

Anyone doing the challenges in the marathon app? Mine seems very hit and miss about updating things. Did the 100m climb one earlier, shows it as 100% done, but doesnt say finisher. Did (according to strava anywa ) the 17km/h for 1km one too, but it says I've completed 79%. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong - I've got strava and garmin connected currently
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    My 100m climb is showing 20% complete.
    It would appear that the 300m long incline that kills me every time is actually only 20m long.
    I haven't bothered with the 14kmh challenge as I cant run that fast. Must admit I had to convert it to min/km first.

• Eggyh73 said:
    NatMac - Welcome to the thread!
    You've picked a great event for your first marathon. Great city, fantastic event and a fantastic group of people here to meet up with over the race weekend should you wish. You must be up there as furthest travelled for your first marathon!
    Hey! I came from there too...not for a marathon though  :smile: Welcome NatMac! Great to have another kiwi onboard.

and hello everyone else!!! I’ve been stalking and meaning to post for ages. This will be my 5th paris and looking forward to catching up with all the mad “oldies” from the forum and the newbies! Paris is AWESOME for the marathon and the party.

Updates for social occasions on marathon weekend
    -
    Sunday pub DRINKS and refuelling: 6pm onwards at Frog Revolution by bastille. Area upstairs booked under “BCRC”. They do great burgers and lots of drinkies, come and introduce yourself, wear your medal and t-shirt, supporters welcome too, celebrate and also commiserate. We’ve all been on all sides! Will post again nearer to the big weekend but put it in your diary!
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Orbutt said:
    My 100m climb is showing 20% complete.
    It would appear that the 300m long incline that kills me every time is actually only 20m long.
    I haven't bothered with the 14kmh challenge as I cant run that fast. Must admit I had to convert it to min/km first.

Maybe it's just a very difficult 20m

Yeah, I had to go online to convert 17km/h to min /km, but I tend to work in miles mostly, so ended up with something random like 0.625 miles in under 3:32. Hoping to get the 14km/h at parkrun this weekend, but who knows what it will register as
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Oh, and hello Radar. 

I lived/worked in Tauranga for 6 months some years ago, loved NZ, hope to go back some time. Nicest ever half marathon I did was an xterra one near Rotorua, absolutely lovely scenery 
  • Hello again everyone - and Thank You for such a lovely warm welcome!!

The Paris Marathon starts my three week holiday... Tulips are my favourite flower, so I'm heading from Paris to Amsterdam for the Tulip Festival at Keukenhof Gardens - then Munich for the first time to visit former colleagues, and spending the rest of my time with my brother & his family in the south-west of France. My job involves booking travel - and now it's FINALLY my turn to to head overseas. 

Orbutt, I've put down a time of 4:30, but will be so overwhelmed by the atmosphere that it may be longer.
    To participate will be such a total thrill, but I don't want to waste the months of training either... And thank you for the reminder re: medical certificate.
    Thank you again everyone for the wonderful warm welcome here xx
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    In addition to the post marathon pub meet-up RadarSal mentioned a number of the Paris Forum regulars over the years are planning a carb loading meal on the evening before the marathon. We're still working out the number of people attending, but it will be a large group of runners, partners and families, so if you'd like to join us please let me know along with the number of people in your group and I'll add you to the list. Once we lock down the number of people attending we'll hunt out a suitable venue.
    If like me you're someone who's travelling alone please feel free to add your name and enjoy the weekend with new friends, or if you are travelling with partners/family everyone is welcome to come along and join everyone that evening. It's a good way to calm the pre-run nerves and there are plenty of people who have ran Paris many times so can answer any questions or concerns you may have.
    Just be careful if you sit next to anyone who mentions the word "Comrades". If that happens just pretend you don't speak English!
  • Eggyh73, sounds great - please add me to the list! Travelling solo😊
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac sounds like an epic adventure.
    I can wholeheartedly recommend both the pre-race meal and the post race pushup. You'll meet a great bunch of friendly folk/nutters.
    As I said previously, Paris was my first marathon. I met up with this bunch, via this forum, and I've been going on marathon adventures ever since. In fact my reason for running this year was so we could meet up again.
    This year will possibly be our largest gathering with 35 runners taking part.
    You will never be short of conversation.
  • Last year I used an Apple watch but it ran out of power not long after km 41. Anyone else use one? And how do you conserve power? Thanks.

Plus Hi to NatMac and I plan to join you and the others at Frog Revolution after the marathon. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Phronesis - I dont have an Apple watch - I'm a Garmin user - but which version do you have?
    A quick Google shows series 3 has a expected battery life of 4hrs and Series 4 6hrs.
    A couple of suggestions seem to be turning off 'Show Goal Metric' and engaging 'Power Save Mode' - which turns off the heart rate sensor. Both of these would be things that I would want to see, so I'm not sure if this would be something you'd want to do.

My watch died during my first marathon. Most frustrating.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    phronesis said:
    Last year I used an Apple watch but it ran out of power not long after km 41. Anyone else use one? And how do you conserve power? Thanks.
    I've had an Apple watch for just under a year phronesis, and whilst I absolutely love it, I do not love the battery life. Being used to a Garmin that could go more than a week without charging to a watch that I have to remember to charge daily (I like to wear it when I sleep for stats geekiness and use it as my alarm without waking my co-sleeper!) I'll be 'two watching' for marathon distance using a Garmin for the run and Apple watch for reading texts etc!
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Orbutt said:

Mine did too Orbutt  :( - Nike watch I think it was! Wasn't the battery, I think it was the tunnel, it just decided I'd stopped running. Bought a Garmin straight after that.
  • Orbutt said:
    Phronesis - I dont have an Apple watch - I'm a Garmin user - but which version do you have?
    A quick Google shows series 3 has a expected battery life of 4hrs and Series 4 6hrs.
    A couple of suggestions seem to be turning off 'Show Goal Metric' and engaging 'Power Save Mode' - which turns off the heart rate sensor. Both of these would be things that I would want to see, so I'm not sure if this would be something you'd want to do.

Thanks Orbutt. Yes mine is a series 3 and it ran out at 3 hours 59 minutes! May have to reinvest. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Get yourself a cheap Garmin and run with two watches like Nells  :)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Nells - mine was the Nike too but I'd forgotten to charge mine 😁

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    NatMac - No problem. I'll add you to the list.
    Anyone else?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Woo Hoo. My medical certificate has been accepted.
    One less thing to worry about 😁
  • NatMac said:
    <div>NatMac ✭
    </div><div><div>Hello everyone, I'm Natalie from New Zealand - and may I say that this is exactly the group I've been looking for. Paris will be my first marathon, I'm training hard - and am grasping every little shred of news, information and advice that I can find. I can't wait - excited doesn't even begin to describe it!</div></div>
    Hi Natalie - glad you made it safely across from Facebook! There's none of those panicking thoughts here!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    GLit74
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Ahlovethecake
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
    NatMac
  • phronesis said:maybe this Garmin? 
    https://g.eu.factoryoutletstore.com/collections/garmin-forerunner/products/garmin-forerunner-30-slate-grey

Orbutt said:

Thanks Orbutt. Yes mine is a series 3 and it ran out at 3 hours 59 minutes! May have to reinvest. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Phronesis. That actually looks quite good, especially having the built in heart rate monitor.
    Full review from DCRainmaker (very detailed)
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/hands-on-garmins-new-forerunner-30-running-gps-watch.html
  • Alternatively I’ll just have to run it in 3 hours 59 minutes. But anyway thanks very much Orbutt.