Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD -  just signed up today for Thorpe and Egham Half in 2 weeks time, plus Bath Half as a 9 mile warmup then MP run again and if I get a free place again will do Vitality Big Half. That might be enough though I am considering a 20 mile race which I will split into easy and race pace mileage.

Poacher - good to hear from you; also envious of Berlinners, I'll get that ballot one day.

Felt remarkably spritely still today so went to the monday progression run - the group ran a lot slower out than usual due to lots of people racing yesterday, and generally more sedate on the way back; picked up final mile a bit so splits were 8:28, 8:03, 7:55, 7:11. 6:58. 5:54 and a final 400m effort at 5:17 pace. Averaging 6 miles at 7:20 feeling strong.
  • Morning all - a tad chilly here at the moment so after 14 days of consecutive running in one way, shape or form I decided to have a rest day today.

Speedy stuff over the weekend from DT (mahoosive PB and super consistent splits), Ian and Nicko - well done all.

G-Dawg - what are the changes to the Surrey Half course this year? I'll be doing Hampton Ct Half (as Mrs L also fancied a half) and then the Cranleigh 15/21 (prob the 21) in the build up to London.

Poacher - any chance you'll be down in London on marathon day or will you have your feet up at home?

48 miles for me last week - a mixed set of runs during the week, then my first ever fell race on Saturday. Not a patch on the hard core stuff you northerners like indulging in, but it was still 2,000 ft of elevation over just over 7.5 miles on Box Hill. There were some runners from Ambleside RC down, presumably to scoff at us southern softies! Hard work, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Followed that up with 15 miles on Sunday with my legs (especially my quads) feeling rather battered.

Southern XC champs at Parliament Hill on Saturday to look forward to now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian, that's a decent run the day after a raced half!

Nicko, you obviously didn't race hard enough. I guess the group environment picks things up a bit.

SBD, yes it is a really fast course and everything is organised to make it as easy as possible, including the midday start time. For perspective there were 183 finishers and I came 129th so very much back of the field. The slowest runner was an fv60 in 47.12. 159 went sub 40. Even the first v60 bloke beat me.

In terms of hr, it went like so (average per mile)… 167, 175, 176, 177, 176, 176 and 177. So fairly even effort.

Well done on the fell race, Lorenzo. Enjoy the xc on Saturday. Everything will probably have dried out come then looking at the forecast.

11M mlr tonight for day 2 of the vmlm campaign.

• DT - I think 1:21 is eminently achievable.
    Nicko - Nice photo. I presume you are 171 and DT 135. Tidy progressive run.
    Poacher - must be really tough. Every year since 2005 is impressive.
    SBD - your training definitely shows you are in pretty good nick.
    Lorenzo - good work over the last 2 weeks especially the fell race and 15 miler in one weekend. Enjoy the rest before Parliament Hill.
    Long run this morning; 18 with 10 MP. A bit disappointed with 7:21/m average for the MP section but not too worried at this stage.
  • DT - I think you're right, could definitely have picked up or even just maintained pace in second 5K but was playing it conservatively after the DNF there in the summer. Official results are out now, not much difference on chip time from what we both thought.
    Gul - I'm 171 with the weird face, DT is far right in the fetching pink top looking far more restrained. Very nice pace on the 10 - I wouldn't be disappointed with that in training.
    Lorenzo - decent mileage for the week, sounds like some pretty savage elevation on that race. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, I couldn't ever grow the level of facial hair that 135 has!!! The top was sold as being Red. I tend to refer to it as Salmon!!

That's a decent run, Gul. Plenty of time for mp to come down to where you want it to be. The trick is not to run the pace you want it to be in all the mp runs right now if it isn't there yet.

Yes saw results. I am back down to 37.34 which is what my watch said so happy with that. Have you seen the photos at the water drink station? A very odd place for a photographer to go. There is utter dismay on my face as the volunteer there doesn't spot my attempt to grab a cup and retracts her arm. Generally though there are some funny pics of people grimacing trying to make the plastic cup work so they get some water!

Poacher, That must be pretty tough after so many years. I think for me even after 6 years I would find it odd not building towards it now.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO54 said:
    Hey Gerard, good to have you back. You have a lot of natural talent and do well off limited training. Hope you stick to the new regime 😉

I tried a few pilates classes, but not brave enough for Yoga yet...

OO - You're too kind. Thank you. I've been doing a little bit and will ramp it up soon as I think I'm going to do a half end March. :smile: Try the yoga, you'll like it I'm sure. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice work on Box Hill, Lorenzo.
    The Surrey Half uses the same roads but the inclines in the second half are now in the first half. As soon as we come through Jacob's Well, we go left down Burdenshott Road. When we come out of Saunders Lane at the Mayford roundabout, we turn right up the A320. There's then the incline to Burdenshot Road but we then do a u-turn back down the A320 to the Mayford roundabout and then the final mile and a bit to the finish. So, with the harder work coming earlier, it should (hopefully) be quicker.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    TR - Well done on your half time after Abo. Great to see you back in form.

SBD - Very nice races to have on your radar. I'd love to do London again and one day I'll get to Berlin.

Gul - I remember when you had your breakthrough half a good few years ago. I think it was a 1:26? I bet you'll smash that now.

Leslie - Won't be long until you get back under 20 mins for 5k. 

DT & Nicko - Excellent 10k's. Great to get such a big pb over that distance. It's been a few years since I've done one of them.

Ian  - Great half time! 

G-Dawg - You can get under 1:25 for sure. Good insider knowledge there re the course. 

Poacher - Shame about London. Hope you can do other things to keep you fit and that you enjoy too.

Lorenzo - Great to see you banging out 14 consecutive days of running. 

I managed 4 runs last week totaling 18 miles with the highlight being an 8.7 mile hilly run @ 6:41 pace. I've no idea what to aim for the half but I'm thinking that sort of pace should be achievable for 13.1. Lovely and sunny hear at the mo but crisp. Hope to get out on lunch again today for a 5k.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gerard the Half is a tough distance to judge, especially after a long period without racing. I think sub 1:30 would be a safe target but you'll probably know better a couple of weeks out from the race. Great to see you back in the game 👍
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Ian – That’s a super HM on a tough course

Les – Good progressive 12 miler

OO – Nice 20 miler

Jools – Good mileage for a recovery week

Stevi – Great 1k reps

DT – Excellent 10k time. Yes, 1.21.x for a half would be a good target

Poach – Sorry to read about your woes. It must be tough to miss out in London

SBD – Good to read your fitness is returning

Nicko – Awesome progressive run. Nice photo

Lor – Good 14 days block of running. Good luck in the Southern XC champs

Gul – Nice 18 miler

GD – Good luck in Surry.

GM – That’s a good pace for almost 9 miles. If it was me, I’d be shooting for about 6:30 pace in a HM with that sort of form.

It’s great to read about so much good running. I’m happy to report things have been going well for me. I’ve definitely got my mojo back the last week. I’m starting to ramp my mileage up and have a few ultra-marathons scheduled over the next few months.

First up will be Last One Standing at Castleward next month - https://www.atlasrunning.co.uk/last-one-standing

I’ve never run anything like this before so it should be interesting. I certainly won’t be trying to win as it’s not an A race for me.  I’ll be running it without a taper and only a few days to recover. My main goal remains the British 100k Championship in May.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - you nutter, youve just run the two (key) sessions for the week on consecutive days. Theres 4 days in between them in the plan. Space them out a bit.

DT - nice to see you go for it a bit more rather than being so "paint by numbers". Those longer tempos showed you should be racing faster. Defo 81min next. You are heading under 255.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BB please look after yourself.
    Lorenzo - the Ambleside runners were simply happy not to be suffering from altitude sickness. You might enjoy the Kinder Trog which is 16m round the north of the Peak District with 3500ft of ascent; a fast, tough day out and the local fell runners are hard as nails. Not far from Manchester. Then again the Farnham Pilgrim mara in your neck of the woods is equally challenging.
    Gul - have you declared a target for London?
    Gerard - sounds like you are in v good form
    Nicko that's good running too 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to see GM and Badbark back on here and back in the game. Chuffed for Badbark having a plan of events coming up, such a contrast to the sad injury reports a few months ago. Well done, fella!

First decent feeling run of the campaign tonight. With no proper speed work planned for this week, I decided on some alternate mile reps.
    Did my 10 mile route and did 7.3x and 6.5x alternates. Bagged all of the efforts with a fancy 6.46 final mile.

Legs tired as I haven’t done anything like that for a while but no calf injury issue at all, just a bloomin’ stiff lower back at the end which is new. One bleedin’ thing after another!
    Still, feels like progress.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Good to hear the running is going well and your mojo has returned Badbark.  Good luck with Last One Standing but don't push yourself too hard!

Sounds like a good hilly run Gerard - I'm sure you can keep that pace going for a few more miles.

I'm with TR Gul - that's a tough run any day but the day after the LT run makes it doubly tough!  I'll always do these MP sessions as a race - so Staverton 10 miles at the weekend with a 8 miles warm up.   

The HR splits show you got the pacing spot on DT.  I may have to do the summer version!

Well done on the fell race Lorenzo - not so sure about the attractions of Parliament Hill, it could be crowded!

That's a quality workout after the 10K nicko.  I'll be doing my 20 miles with 14 miles at MP session at Bath.  How easy is it to do the 7 mile warm up and get in to the pen with 5 minutes to go?

Treadmill LT session early evening.  The paces had been slipping on these in recent weeks so I decided it was time to properly invest in my training and purchased two M&S fruit scones at lunch-time to supplement the usual tesco cranberry, cashew & raisin bread.  It seemed to do the trick, with the tempo splits coming out as:

2K @ 3:58 (HR 156)
    4K @ 3:56 (HR 162)
    2K @ 3:53 (HR 169)
    1K @ 3:50 (HR 174)
    1K @ 3:47 (HR 176)

So 10K in 39:03 and 10 miles for the day including w/u and c/d.  Average HR for the session a bit lower than the last four weeks so all moving in the right direction.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    SBD: I haven't done Bath for a few years but you used to be able to run on the course and slip into the start area ok. Hope they haven't tightened up on that as it's my plan!

12 @ 8.06s last night. Did about half of it with some clubmates so ended up a bit faster than I'd manage alone!
  • Yes it's very easy to come into the pens against the direction of the race, and actually a lot easier than via the race village.

I'd recommend avoiding race village altogether, it's a nightmare to get into when busy.

Last year I took train from Bristol, got off at keynsham and ran my 9 mile warmup along the cycle path to bath. Worked out well as my mate dropped my bag for me.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Nicko/DT - oops, sorry for the mix-up.
    GM - great to hear you're training for a HM
    Badbark - good to hear from you. Good luck with the ultras. What kind of mileage are you doing at the minute?
    TR - yes, I realise it's not the optimum way to do P&D. I just tend to slot in the longest session as soon as the opportunity arises.
    Poacher - No target yet. Will probably wait till I'm somewhere on Canary Wharf before deciding ;)
    GD - great session.
    SBD - cracking tempo on the treadmill.
    Jools - cheeky plan!
    6 mile recovery run and 30 min swim this morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the half, Gerard.

Badbark, pleased to see things shifting back to the old routine for you. That event looks very interesting as a concept. Though, you could almost walk 4.2m in an hour so it could go on some time I would guess.

Well done on the recovery miles, Gul.

TR- yes I think I've got myself in the habit of letting the numbers control how I race, whereas Sunday I raced like I used to and got a reward. Let's see how  the half goes before I start dreaming of sub 2.55.

Nice work on the 12, Jools.

Good going, G-dawg. I often have random aches and pains like that which come and then go just as quickly.

SBD, I think it's 11am summer start. You have to apply for  place when entries are open, then when entries are closed the fastest 200 or so get offered a place. You have to give evidence of your fastest 10k in last 2 years. You'll be ok   with 37.50.

Another cracking tempo. good to see the hr shift also.

Put my first mlr in last night with a slow 11m. Then due to commitments tonight and through to lunchtime, I got up before work and did my 8m. Both were still legged, but hoping by the next time I run it'll all feel good.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting up early, DT. Tough getting out of bed for work in these dark mornings, let alone a run before it all (unless you're called Gull!). Respect.

Feeling ahead of the game after a 6 mile recovery at lunchtime. Legs feel better than at the same stage last week and my back is a lot better after doing some Pilates and yoga type moves on it last night. I think the body is in adjustment mode, so got to keep the pace discipline going.
  • Badbark  Last one standing sounds like its going to go on a lot and be very tough !
    SBD the expensive scones are working well soon be sub 39 !
    GUL I guess you needed to shift the sessions about due to time issues so the mara pace looks good given the session the day before.
    DT nice 11 to start the campaign.
    Gerard looks like you are in fine shape even without training much going by that run !
    Nicko weird face ?  you mean race face !

6x 800m yesterday up after nightshift about 6:10 to 6:20 pace for  them slowing as they went on with 70's rest between and 5m easy today just under 10's ! struggling a bit lol 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good reps Leslie, recovery runs are meant to be slow!  I'm not sure I can afford M&S scones more than once per week!

Good lunch-time recovery run G-D.

The legs will recover DT, good to get the first MLR in. 

Good recovery miles Gul

Thanks for the feedback on the starting arrangements at Bath Jools/nicko - sounds like the MP run should work!   I've not run Bath before but it would be good to get a fast MP time (c. 1:24).

15 mile MLR for me late afternoon in somewhat misty conditions.  A bit of a struggle to get the legs moving after yesterday's tempo so just getting the miles done was the sole objective.  Just squeezing under 8:00 m/m pace was a bonus! 
  • SBD - bath is a fairly good race, good support. First mile and a bit is downhill, then 2 laps of a fairly flat loop (couple of small inclines), then final mile back up to where the start was, which can be a bit of a tough effort - especially if it's mile 20+; good race though and some nice post-run pubs available. (St Patricks day too). Great treadmill run there, savage paces.
    Leslie - decent 800s - have you tried those as a Yasso session?
    Badbark - nice to hear from you and excellent you are back at it with some long races planned - that knockout loop one looks fun, like a mini Barkley
    DT - hope the legs recover soon!
    Solid 12 Jools - you doing any XC this year?

Treadmill recovery Tuesday with 4.5 miles progressing a bit from 8:30 down to a short stint at 6:15 pace; then a dcent 9 yesterday - 6 easy miles at 8pace, then I tested out a 5K route I've had in mind on the new metrobus route in Bristol - fairly flat with minimal turns; did that at approx 6:50/mile. Pyramid track tonight I think.

• DT - good work on tired legs.
    GD - glad your back is ok.
    Leslie - still a decent session.
    SBD - well done grinding out 15 miles.
    Nicko - nice varied schedule.
    15 miler this morning. Did it as a relaxed progressive ranging from 8:58 (1st mile) to 7:09 (mile 12); averaged 7:46/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

g-dawg, fortunately I didn't need to be in the office (locally) until 9.30 so it wasn't some crazy start, just out by 7.45.

Yes, I find that adjustment period after a marathon and then not doing much for 5 weeks. You just have to carefully plough through it.

Gul, nice 15. I am not quite sure how your body doesn't fall apart! Mine wouldn't be hugely pleased with your last 4 days!

Nicko, some more pacey stuff there! My club tend to do a lot of their sessions in the winter on the bus lanes on the outskirts of town.

Well done on the 15, SBD. Not always much fun contemplating those midweek but great once in the bag.

Quite a contract in paces there, Leslie, but if easy that day is 9.xxmm then so be it.

Easy 5 planned over lunch with bodypump tonight.

Popped to the gym for my bodytrax weigh in again. Came in 71.2 today from 71.9 last week. Additionally, despite my body water being higher than last week, my bodyfat was down by  1kg and muscle mass up by same amount as well as internal fat being down. A lot of these internal measurements can be affected by several things so difficult to read much into 1 improved outing. Hopefully it'll be backed up next week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Result! Managed to get 6.4 miles done at lunchtime, meaning I don't have to run in the dark tonight. That's only one dark run for the week (10 miles at 7.11 pace on Tuesday). That pleases me.

On the down side, the London streets were quite busy and a lot of the route where it wasn't busy was on cobbles. Spent a lot of time dodging pedestrians or jumping off cobbles and onto pavement. Did well to average 7.19 pace.

Just an LSR and a recovery planned for the weekend now. 
  • Nicko nice 9 with fast 5k at the end . The yasso 800's are probably fine for mara training but for me at the minute the recoveries would be far too long at over 3 mins as I'm more interested in 5k to 1/2 distance and getting my outright speed up.
    SBD I've no problem running slow on recoveries infact my legs flat refuse to do anything else lol 15m is always going to be a grind after tempo but that;s where the gains come from .
    DT weight is going the right way , I've a weigh in tonight again...about 70kg would be ideal for me but will take a lot of work ...too much ballast is definitely holding me back a bit at the minute from hitting 6m/mile in reps. As I do 3 sessions a week my recoveries have to be real easy plus once you factor in I've been out of bed about 15mins by the start of them and unfuelled after nightshift it gets a bit tougher !
    Dgawg sounds like the whacky races, can just imagine how busy it is over in the big smoke ...Hard to find a place to run that free from dogs and walkers here too in the evening as places we usually run in summer are unlit .

Up for another pounding lol tempo today but club is too late so on my own up and down 1k stretch of dual carriageway/cycle path so quite a few turns at either end .
    30 mins tempo with miles at 6:47, 6:50, 6:44, 6:41, last 6:47 ( 1/2 mile approx)  and 7.5 miles in total .

• Ah understood Leslie, yes they are more endurance than speed sessions. Very nice tempo run there.

DT - i have a live/hate relationship with those boditrax machines, my graphs look like a mountain range over the past few years.

Terrible track session last night, legs finally caught up with me and I was out after the first half, so just a 3 mile total yesterday. Will do a few very easy miles today before or after my PT to just loosen back up and then see what I have for Parkrun on Saturday - not gone sub 20 locally yet so need to get that monkey off my back
  • GD - nice pace for your lunchtime run.
    Leslie - well done getting that tempo run done.
    Nicko - good luck with the sub 20.
    7 mile recovery run d&d.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going guys I'm jealous of all the big miles.
    The hip flared up after last weeks big miles so I've had to lie low and cut back to short plodding runs. Parkrun tomorrow and as far as I can get on Sunday for a mid 40s week.
    Easy as she goes Badbark, glad you are enjoying your running again👍