Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Talking of races, I just remembered to enter the Staines 10k. Too late - it's full already!  You used to be able to enter on the day....

Marlow 5 the week before maybe, but I don't like 5M or 10M races anymore - too easy to work out the pace from the time :smiley:
    Hold on hold on big boy..

Their own site still says 1st feb..and the entries full is 99% likely functionality from last year..

Phew
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG please leave Bus with his misapprehension! Staines 10k v50 is my territory and has been for a few years now; don't want v50 whippersnappers like Bus in the mix ;)
  • It was that kind of thing which spurred the organiser to set up the Speedway 10K events. Entries opened at 7am this morning for Frampton 10K, a popular local club race with 500 entry limit. It's on a Monday night, usually 1st one in July - though they've shifted it to the last in June this year. £12 to enter, pretty fast course & a free bottle of cider after + a BBQ on the village green. It was sold out by 9am! 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Weird -  it said entries pen on the 1st Feb on the Google search summary, but then said "race full" when you click on the entry page.  Double checking it says "this year's entries are closed but next year's will open on 1st Feb". Must still be linking to last year then and the details page hadn't been updated.  It also says "page last updated 2/2/2019" in small letters, whihc suggest we'll have to be quick!

That's good - don't think you are in any danger from me though Pete :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Weird -  it said entries pen on the 1st Feb on the Google search summary, but then said "race full" when you click on the entry page.  Double checking it says "this year's entries are closed but next year's will open on 1st Feb". Must still be linking to last year then and the details page hadn't been updated.  It also says "page last updated 2/2/2019" in small letters, whihc suggest we'll have to be quick!

That's good - don't think you are in any danger from me though Pete :smile:

Do keep up son :D
  • Had a look at the Speedway results - 40 out of the top 50 got PB's!! Amazing how everyone is training so hard these days! What must everyone have been doing previously? Perfect weather and a strong field always helps. Know 3 of the top 10 - John Cornish, Ben Cole and Josh Lunn are all top lads, nice guys.

16 x 300 or 52/53 secs for me today. Can't go on a track so having to think of somewhere I can sneak off to do them...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Must just be a perfect mix of course, standard and timing. But generally, it's odd, unless those 40 are all fairly new into running, don't do many 10ks / haven't done one for ages!

10 this morning for me, eased out, but soon came on, and 7.04 average.

Bit frustrated at the mo, as the auto sync between garmin connect / strava / Garmin 235 doesn't always happen now, and a few times a week I have to re-pair the devices and do all that stuff.
  • Techno fear eh.

Went round the park next to the hospital to do the 16 x 52 secs. Not ideal, but a good work out.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    52 seconds. You must be a nightmare at home and work with such pure random 😄😄
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    52s = 300m  - do keep up son :wink:

Have you updated your 235 software recently?

Lunchtime old school tempo today, with a flattish route I've not done for years (mainly because of a few hairy road crossings!). 8.4M in total, with a 10k tempo in the middle in a rather pleasing 39:59 :smile: Happy enough with that and a 6:37 average for the whole thing and my longest tempo for quite a while (though this was actually my slowest time on this route!!!).   It was comfortably hard but hardly comfortable, just like a good tempo should be! The only exception was at the end of mile 5 where a slight incline was threatening the pace and so I had to go into the red a wee bit!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was a mad version of Ric's "One effort" every minute job, allowing himself 8seconds recovery a rep :D

I did delete all matter of stuff from my low storage phone when it got full up! Tweaked space on strava and garmin connect but should have corrected by now! Oh well..i'll just re-pair the devices every so oft if I have to (as in pairing - not repair with an unnecessary hyphen!)

Nice tempo, reminds me of some of my old "across town" MP rampages! Looking back now, not entirely the safest in places, let alone in the dark.

I did loads on that loop at the top of Marlow hill too, which has a petrol station and loads of drives! I think I'm happier round Dorney currently, breaks the tedium of the track, has a few people around, to give you a little lift, and often windy to give a bit more awks.

Nearer work, and most important of all, totally safe from traffic.

One thing I'll have to watch when I start my new role (same place) in 2 1/2 weeks is timings. Will have to force myself out at at 6.30, rather than lounging to the 6.45-7 mixer, and getting in past 9. Fine in this job, may well not be in the next!

• Thanks Bus..obviously 300's ;) Yes the park isn't ideal - bit green, and I have to across a small patch of mud but it's not too bad. Good tempo there mate!

SG - I'm up at 5.45 usually. Hence the battle to go to bed earlier, which I generally lose...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Going to bed way later than me, and getting up earlier. That's a horrible mix!
    If you're being precise enough to equate 300s to 52seconds, are you actually doing it off a 300metre measured rep, or are you just estimating 52secs as taking you there?

As surely you aren't doing them all to the second like that?!

This is what the people want to know son.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    only you SG, only you :smiley:

I'm presuming 52s is just the best estimate average time for 300m, rather than an exact science (though granted, Simon must have fast fingers to stop the watch dead on!)

And cheers Mr C :smile: , though I was more pleased with it as a tempo up until I found out it was my slowest time for that route!

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Ah well Bus, keep going!!

Yes SG - only you. Basically hammer it for 52 secs, get really knackered. Its roughly 300m, then stop at the same patch of tarmac on the path each time.... Hopefully that's annoyingly fluffy for you ;)

• The Bus said:
    only you SG, only you :smiley:

I'm presuming 52s is just the best estimate average time for 300m, rather than an exact science (though granted, Simon must have fast fingers to stop the watch dead on!)

Especially as said watch is a Casio from about 1980, combined with £9.99 shoes I am starting to wonder if Stig of the dump took up running when he went off air?

We have yet to pass Staines 10k without mention of it selling out fast but this is the first time it's sold out a year in advance. I'm tempted by that one as I can't see the GFA entry for the Reading 10k anymore, did you look at it Pete? I've emailed them to ask just in case I can blag a discount code anyway  :) For whatever reason I seem to peak in May after failed HM campaigns.

Nice tempo Bus, 39:59 is worth going into the red for. I have nothing of note to report but I've still been doing two runs a week. Hoping to get three in this week. Plan to do the HM distance this weekend.

Whilst running, I've also been playing a game to see if I can plan/run 13.1 miles without leaving my village and without crossing my own path, measured it on Strava and it came to 13.07 miles so I may have to cross the road a few times! I have included the 2 neighbouring and frankly insignificant villages but it must be on street-lit pavements. Maybe I should start listening to podcasts!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, for a ridiculous casual guy, you're one phenomenal runner Simon.

Some would say maybe doing any old iron, measured casually., and what you fancy is the way to go, but it certainly wouldn't get most of us the times we dribble to :)

Unusual run day for me, 6miles morn, 7miles lunch!

Was meant to be 4, but my Dasher pal was doing a bizarre marathon up and down the Jubilee River - it must be about 5.25miles or so a loop.

I got wind of this, and managed to time it decently to meet her at the crossroads with Wood Lane - the bit near my work.

Original plan was just to do the bridge to the turnaround and back then leave her to it at the bridge.
    But she was struggling a bit, and it felt a bit off to leave her with about 1.5miles to go, so saw it in.

That's a weird feeling, with someone that knackered near the end of a long run, and you're basically cruising!
    Probably a more pleasurable way of doing races though!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Reg; just had a look at Reading 10k web-page and looks like they've stopped doing GFA. Last year it was a pretty easy qualifying standard I seem to recall (at least at v50 level!), so maybe they gave out too many. Another theory is they pretty much filled the race up and the average standard was still rubbish, so no benefit of doing GFA! I'll prob look to go back to doing Staines this year (and Bus yes you should beat me there if you can knock out a sub 40 10k as part of a longer solo run, remember historically you've had a fair bit of time over me at distances 10k+, certainly at HM).

Continued my Wokey training this lunchtime with a 16k in WGP. Loose target was around 4'30k's but ended up 4'38 av and still felt hard. Think I'll stick to that pace for long hilly runs now and try and just up the distance a couple of k a week. I'll then trust race day magic, cheat shoes and flat tarmac rather than undulating, mostly off road to hopefully bring the pace right down to around 4 min k's on the day (1'24-1'25 type pace).  All that on the big proviso that I can actually get through a training programme without my calf (or something else) giving up again. 
  • Great tempo there Bus.
    Decent training from Pete, SG & SC2
    Nothing special for me this week - lots of miles though. Another double today: 7M & 3.6M w 1K/1200m/1K off 400m jogs brings me up to 54 already
  • Pete, Just had an email back with a discount code so seems like they are still doing it, if not advertising it anymore.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    cheers Reg; I'll give it a go then. Did you mention your top 3 overall finish from last year or just tell them your time? Suppose I could dress mine up a bit too, by saying v50 winner last year :)
  • I just replied to his email of the previous year, I didn't mention my result at all. Surely he knows who we are!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps, and Reg - 15 months ahead! (sorry, my bad!)

Easy 5.9 at lunch. Didn't feel that easy! Speed work takes it toll these days, and the back and hip were pretty sore. OK after though, so recovery did its job. 

Pete - you ran sub 38 last year didn't you? I'd be happy with sub 39.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I emailed the Reading guy, said I'm kind of a big deal online and also know Pete and Reggie and ...

He told me to stick it.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bus I did 37'34 in 2016, 38'18 in 2017, 39'33 in 2018 so not a good progression! Didn't do it last year due to getting the Reading GFA freebie, but did that one in 37'49 (assisted by cheat shoes :) ). Doubt I'll even get sub 39 whichever of Staines or Reading I end up with; only just broke 40 mins at Black Park last week, though that was an off roader I suppose. If you can do sub 40 solo as part of a progression I don't see why you can't aim sub 38, or at least sub 38'30. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Mebbe - time will tell I guess :smile:

Still time for me to pick up a bit of time to train (or pick up an injury!!!) - or just borrow your Vaporflys 😅😅😅😅

That loose, gravelly (and probably pretty soft currently!) surface at Black Park has got to be worth at least a minute and probably more. Besides, didn't you do 2 parkruns on NYD that added up to less than 38 minutes???!!!! 

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Yes but both VF assisted on fast tarmac :) Not got under 19'30 since (or for a couple months before). Actually our LFOTM times (one month apart) were almost identical so if it were 5k would be close!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Tuesdays feel like tempos and Fridays track, ideally shorter stuff...anyone else prefer that sort of flow to their week?

With yesterday ending up 13miles in two runs, and on for a big week, I just fancied a 12x200 off 60secs.

Averaged 35, a couple of 34s, and one 36 when I watching what someone loitering near my car was doing and got distracted :D 

While not the "peak" mode of when in 5k training in the spring and summer, I suppose 35s are still in the sort of 4.42-4.44 pace mixer, which is a fair chunk faster than my 1mile pace, so serves the purpose of just having a rampage, to make other speeds feel comfortable!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Where is everybody???

Sunday's LSRs are a strange beast. For some reason (probably psychological) I usually feel more knackered and less like running than before any other run during the week, and today I was particularly unmotivated suffering with a bad back and a sore hip.   Once I'd finally finished faffing about and got myself out of the house it was so late that the forecast downpours seemed bound to hit me halfway and I felt like canning it after a few miles. Them, and as usual, I kinda got into the flow, enjoying the slightly firmer than recent underfoot conditions and the podcasts I was listening to, and then, before I knew it I was actually kind of enjoying it and the miles rolled by!  

Close to 16M in the end, I got back just as the rain started and my back and hip feel the best they have all week!  It's a funny old game.........
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Bus, i like to get mine done early saturdays so they dont loom over the weekend. I did the P and D 18 inc 10mp yday. Which came in av 6.28 for the 10, but was 3m av 6.40 and 7 av 6.24 as it was windy on the seafront (first few miles were on start and finish of GSR route).